vpyroman
Aeon Supreme commander
+16|6616|UCF
Engineer Guide v2.0(now with less arrogance)

-=Repairing=-

Tactic #1
How to safely repair
Circle strafe around the vehicle if you suspect no-one is around, strafe around the opposite side of gunfire otherwise. But generally you don’t want to self repair,
Caveats:
1.) In close quarters drop an AT-Mine below it, repair it back to 1/2, pop-smoke, and drive away. Usually, that tank pounding you will chase you, and blow up on that nice AT treat.
2.) In wide open maps with plenty of snipers, hide under it and repair, then hit E to enter again.
3) For a nice surprise exit a slightly damaged vehicle, drop an AT mine under it. Enemies will jump in it, and die.
Tactic #1.5
Shadow players in an FAV, save the heavy vehicles for the other classes. FAV’s are very fast, and unless you’re snuck up on, you can avoid most fire.
Tactic # 1.6
The repair effect is stacking, so more engineers in a FAV, the faster you repair others.
Tactic #1.7
If all your commander toys are taken out, drive by them slowly, and they will all repair, don’t use your wrench, it takes too long, and you’re a sitting duck for snipers.

-----=== The Wrench Can===-----
----repair
----Remove & keep mines
--- In 1.2+, Removes Claymores! You don't get the claymore, but its gone.

-=AT Mines=-
Error: Tossing AT-Mines in lines
Although this seems fool proof, the enemy will see a pattern and avoid it. Instead, try to get a nice randomly but strategically place setup. Make it look like rocks in the road.
Tactic #2)
I use the wide diamond layout. If they see it in the road, they will swerve to avoid it and hit the side one; a line of 3 then 2 is very effective against convoys, as most of the AT won’t be trigger at once.
Tactic #3.5)
If you’re in an enemy base, toss mines under their vehicle, so as soon as then enter, they die.

-=The Weapons=-
Shotguns-
Error #3: Always tossing you long smooth bore weapon aside for that huge black thing.
In one on one, the pump is better, on large maps, the pump is better. When assaulting a flag in a city map, the jackhammer is better, BUT the jackhammer can only kill 4 max, and often you’ll only kill 2-3.
Tactic 3:
The shotgun’s shells spread out the farther you are from the target, so you can take out 2 people at once from a distance.
Tactic 4:
The shotgun does not require accuracy, as long as they are close to the middle of the screen you’ll hit them

The MP7-
Cons: The damage it does is horrible, you can’t estimate the shots fired.
Pros:  40 shots/clip, accurate in short bursts, sounds weird.
It’s a medium range weapon as best, don’t try to go CQC with it.

Pistol-
Error #4: Using the pistol only as a last ditch weapon.
You know you need to use it.
-=Anything else=-

Teamwork 1103:
If you are in a vehicle, always be engineer, you’ll end up repairing your teammates, and hopefully they will do the same. It might seem lucrative to be supply or medic, to help the troops, but they never crowd around you.
Try to run with crowds, and squad leader hop, it’s to ultimately achieve your goal of more points.
Attack copter + Engineers = Extremely mobile repair platform
AA + Engineer = Bombing run survivor

Last edited by vpyroman (2006-04-22 19:57:58)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Sneaky SOB tactic is at best irrelevant, unless you can find somewhere to hide while repairing. Some of the time, an enemy will run to your tank to steal it. The rest of the time, enemy armor will just finish of the hulk, taking you with it.

As for other tactics, you neglected to mention the mobile repair factory involving multiple engineer drivers in a bunch of armor, and you forgot the bit about laying mines out the side or back of a transport chopper. Or the bit about setting mines on enemy armor in their bases. But you are correct in that the pump-action shotgun is much more accurate and lethal than the noobed-down BF2 version of the Jackhammer, but better the Jackhammer than the crappy default MEC shotty.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-03-20 19:58:07)

wiez
+1|6709

vpyroman wrote:

Error #3) Tossing you long smooth bore weapon aside for that huge black thing.

The Jackhammer is an amateur weapon. Your going to empty and entire clip into one person, and have to wait 4secs or so to reload. Instead, use the 12-gauge. That thing can kill a person in 1 hit. This is the ultimate in close quarters defensive combat. If you’re capping a flag, and there is really only 1 way in, you WILL kill them.
If you can only kill one person with the Jackhammer then you are not using it correctly. Unlike you I will not claim that I am the Uber engineer, however I consistently get 2 kills to a clip in the Jackhammer.

Like, unnamednewbie13, I also think you missed the strongest point of the engineer class which to get two or more engineers in vehicles (armour) to travel together. A tank and 2 APC's travelling together with engineers will devastate most opposition.
Rizen_Ji
+41|6735|200m out and smiling at you.
isn't the jackhammer a 2 hit kill? but i'm betting most ppl get 3 to 4 shots in to kill... so that leaves wat at most 3 shells? so ya 2 kills a clip sounds reasonable. and anyways auto-shotgun in CQC with multiple people is amazing. the pumps can't handle too many people, they need to be close together.
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6672|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
I find the best maps to be an Engineer is with plenty of water. Songhau for eg. (pick mec)  Game starts I spawn at the South Island or North Island and head to the flag. (pick the jeep not the apc, for speed, be selfish and go alone) Its a race between you and the vehicles coming from west prim.  I approach the 1st flag but usually find an apc approaching, jump out round the back of the hut and chuck mines like mad on the slope, then turn and lay them behind the apc which is kissing the flag facing the base you spawned at, ready to blast your temmates.  Lay all 5 of them and be prepared to die. Respawn at the previous base and make your way to the same one which by now will be usa. As your mines are going off count them as you already have 5 in a prime posistion. Only re-lay when you get close to the usa base and only lay them in water and dont waste them in a row. Find narrow gaps and lay 1 at a time, thus using them to full potential.  Also making them harder to spot.

Its great to cause havoc at a busy freshly taken flag (opposistion own it) they have just turned up with for eg an apc, tank a buggy and a jeep. Be suicidal, lay them mines like they are gifts and stand well back.

Very rarely will I play Engineer with the sole purpose to repair, very often I get defended flag points as I lay 1 near a flag. I only lay plenty next to each other when I spawn on a flag we are loosing.

One thing Ive noticed, sometime I approach one of my mines I have recently laid with the intentions of lifting it up and re placing a little further ahead. As you exit the jeep the jeep hits your mine and explodes. If you stay in the vehicles you can drive right over it. So, if you want to re place your mines approach them on foot.

I didnt have much intrest before the FF patch change as tk's and punishing was silly. Now though I find it one of the best kits, the mp7 is good in CQC.
PuLpO
+1|6684

vpyroman wrote:

My Engineer Guide

Although my stats say otherwise, I am one deadly Engineer. I average 60 points a round when I play as USMC or China. It's much harder as MEC because of that pea-shooter. But, I am an excellent grenade thrower, and an excellent shot.
Normally you don't see many engineers, and those that do play the class aren't that great, often doing it just so they can repair themselves. So, here are some mistakes and advice for the engineer class. None of this advice

Error #1) Being an Engineer to only repair yourself
You're going to die. Face it, if you must be engineer to keep your heap from being blow up, it deserves to. The only time it’s worth it to be an engineer to self heals are on large maps seldom played, and early Strike at Karland(once they nab a base, go AT kit)

Tactic #1) How to safely self repair
Simply, get out (you usually get out on the site the barrel it pointing), get to the opposite side of attack, and just repair it. Caveats: 1.) In close quarters drop an AT-Mine below it, repair it back to non-smoking, pop-smoke, and drive away. Usually, that tank pounding you will chase you, and blow up on that nice AT treat. 2.) In wide open maps with plenty of snipers, hide under it and repair, then hit E to enter again. 3.) If you know your going to die, drop an AT mine under it repair to non-flaming, and let them see you try to escape. They will jump in it, and they will die.

Sneaky SOB tactic:
    If you are in a tank, facing an APC & tank, shoot bail and repair, then hop back in. This is really annoying to them, and you’ll end up killing the APC. Its new age bunny hopping, but sometimes, you exit on the wrong side, and you die.

Error #2) Tossing AT-Mines in lines

Although this seems fool proof, its not, the enemy will see a pattern and avoid it. Instead, try to get a nice randomly but strategically place setup. Make it look like rocks in the road.

Tactic #2)
I use the wide diamond layout. If they see it in the road, they will swerve to avoid it and hit the side one; a line of 3 then 2 is very effective against convoys, as most of the AT won’t be trigger at once.
Tactic #3)
Hurray for 1.2, if you’re getting attacked by any vehicle, or are about to get over run, toss mines like candy, it may seem a contradiction to my earlier advice, but you’re going to die. Might as well make them slow down a little.

Error #3) Tossing you long smooth bore weapon aside for that huge black thing.

The Jackhammer is an amateur weapon. Your going to empty and entire clip into one person, and have to wait 4secs or so to reload. Instead, use the 12-gauge. That thing can kill a person in 1 hit. This is the ultimate in close quarters defensive combat. If you’re capping a flag, and there is really only 1 way in, you WILL kill them.

Error 4) Using the pistol, only as a last ditch weapon.

The Engineer is the ultimate in what a perfect solder encompasses. He can get 1 hit kills on infantry, and Tanks. He can hit targets at so-so range with the shotgun, and at long range, nothing beats the pistol. In zoomed mode, it has little recoil, drift, and kills in half a clip. This is more accurate than any weapon in any stance, and

Misconception: You get low points as engineer

Wrong, as an engineer, you’ll rack up many points as either combat, or teamwork, all that shadowing players in FAVs to repair them will nab about 10 or so, add that to the kill count, and you got at least more than 26 points. Unless you are TK-ing for a plane.

Teamwork 1103:
If you are in a vehicle, always be engineer, you’ll end up repairing your teammates, and hopefully they will do the same. It might seem lucrative to be supply or medic, to help the troops, but they never crowd around you.
Try to run with crowds, and squad leader hop, it’s all untimely to achieve your goal of more points.
Attack copter + engineer = extremely mobile repair platform

My Ultimate Tactic: The squad killer
This is my killer move; use the pistol to kill snipers, and any open targets. Toss a grenade, wait a while, sprint at the enemy with the shotgun (before the grenade explodes, so they are all running away)
DON’T attack head on, its suicide, instead do a flank attack. Jump over the sandbags (there are always sandbags) and make sure you have a target. Get extremely close to the support and neck-shot him. They seem to be able to survive a head shot.
Let the medic live, and do a 360 turn, doing 1 shot at every enemy nearby, and once that medic revives the support again, kill the support and medic at once, they usually dive to revive them. [Medic advice- Do a run and revive as I do.]
It’s very easy to take out enemies that rush at you, and they go flying when they get hit. Also, place an AT-Mine right beside a flag as tanks always come near it to re-cap it. This works for groups of 3-4, not 6 or more.
Keys: If you can’t sprint, you’re dead.
    If you run out of shells, use grenades, pistol only if there is one left
    DO NOT GO PRONE, it’s idiotic to do so, an engineers asset is his speed.
The support now can kill you very easily and with out effort, of course, if you are really daring, you can get his attention and run behind his team-mates, shooting all the way.
that nearly all truly m8, but ive allready 170 h with this kit and all things expert
strangelove
HOBO SPIRIT
+77|6619|the side hatch
what about the mp7? i loves me that gun

and as long as mine ff is off put mines under jsut about any vehicle...i once spent an entire round on wake hiding out at the north village and putting mines under the tank, it had spawned already i would just crawl under it and put four, one near each corner of the treads and then just hang out on AA

the US team cant resist going to one of those flags, hopping in the vacant tank and taking off real fast which, of course, killed them immediatly...even after it had killed them 4,5 or 6+ times (and yes it was often the same guys doing it over and over)

add to that the mp7 and wicked spray and pray skills and i was a one man defense force
BVC
+325|6694
I still use the jackhammer on occasion instead of the MP7, it can be more useful in some situations.

If you have more than one engineer in a vehicle do you get the combined repair effect (ie twice, three times etc as quick) on nearby damaged vehicles?
bingobones
+6|6724|London, UK

Pubic wrote:

If you have more than one engineer in a vehicle do you get the combined repair effect (ie twice, three times etc as quick) on nearby damaged vehicles?
yes! and a supply crate next to you - u repair even quicker!
vpyroman
Aeon Supreme commander
+16|6616|UCF
It should take 2 shots to kill someone with the Jackhammer, but I've died so many times because it takes 3-4 and I do only 2. Its really annoying, so you will usually end up killing on with 4 shots, and then try to get another with 3, and switch to pistol to kill them.

And my sneaky SOB tactic works wonders, I really don't know why they stop shooting, maybe its becuase they think they can steal it. But, AT mines are a good thing to have.(It worked in kubra & Oman)

THe MP7 is great, but they toned down the damage it deals in 1.21, so its not as great as it once was, and in full auto, it misses as long range. But on large maps, its pretty much your only choice.

But, I'll change my guide, you people seem to know your stuff
cheshiremoe
Evil Geniuses for a sparsely populated tomorrow
+50|6708
Don't forget you can use the wrench to pick up the other teams mines (they will re-supply you unless you already have 5) some times replace them in the same spot.    Another option is that if there area that has been mined by the other team place one or two of your own.  Place mines at the top of hills where when the tank will be coming up the hill.   Grass can also help hide mines particularly in shady spots.    Be aware of common routs for mine placement and avoid them when you are driving.

You can repair bridges while in a vehicle, just drive up to the whole's edge( its faster and you have more protection while in a tank, no need to be focused in using the wrench with no defense) this works on assets as well an can save you from the Sec Ops that is still in the area.

Last edited by cheshiremoe (2006-03-21 11:56:30)

M730A2
+45|6694
Your guide reads like what NOT to do as an Engineer.
PunkX
stoned
+198|6623|Canada

vpyroman wrote:

My Sneaky SOB action:
    If you are in a tank, facing an APC & tank, shoot bail and repair, then hop back in. This is really annoying to them, and you’ll end up killing one. Its new age bunny hopping, but sometimes, you exit on the wrong side, and you die.
Awsome shit, im gunna try that!

I think this should be like archived under tutorials or guides er somthing, this is an excellent engineering guide! Good work man!
M730A2
+45|6694
LOSER|Tearsofromance, are you high?
Mr.CobraKai
+3|6652
One thing I'd like to add.... if you are Engineer and all three of your team's artillery guns are destroyed and are near each other (think Oman, etc.), don't drop down and repair each one to full one right after the other.  Do a quick stop at each one, getting them back up but still smoking, then, once all three are online again, go one by one and do a full repair.  This may sound trivial, but in the time it takes to repair all three, your commander could fire them one or two times.  And firing with three barrels is much more effective than with one.
J=MAN
+25|6657|OZ
I like your work vpyroman! I'm no expert, but I've been playing a fair bit of engineer myself lately, so it was good to compare notes.

vpyroman wrote:

-=AT Mines=-
Error #2) Tossing AT-Mines in lines
Although this seems fool proof, its not, the enemy will see a pattern and avoid it. Instead, try to get a nice randomly but strategically place setup. Make it look like rocks in the road.

Tactic #2)
Tactic #3)
Hurray for 1.2, if you’re getting attacked by any vehicle, or are about to get over run, toss mines like candy, it may seem a contradiction to my earlier advice, but you’re going to die. Might as well make them slow down a little.
Tactic #3.5)
If your in an enemy base, toss mines under their vehicle, so as soon as then enter, they die.
Well you shared your AT mine secrets, so I'll share mine (no pun intended!):

I agree that a string of mines across a road is pretty useless. Especially if it's a light-coloured road. Keep in mind that mines are dark-coloured! One mine lying innocently in a dark spot on the road can work wonders. I always look for the darkest spots on the busiest roads.

A couple of the new EF maps are great; Great Wall has dark-coloured roads, and Smoke Screen has that big black hole around the Oil Storage facility point.

All the servers here in Australia have put mine TK back on, so booby-trapping empty tanks is not really an option anymore...
J=MAN
+25|6657|OZ

M730A2 wrote:

Then will you deign to cast some of your own pearls of engineering wisdom in our direction?

Nay? Methinks you are naught but a flame-whore.
vpyroman
Aeon Supreme commander
+16|6616|UCF

M730A2 wrote:

Its really setup as a Point Counter-point guide.

M730A2 wrote:

LOSER|Tearsofromance, are you high?
For what he wrote, or becuase he's gonna try it. I did that just the other day in a tank, Took out an APC, and the AT man who bailed. If you didn't try what I said, then you'd be stranded between the enemy docks in their major travel lanes.
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6788|Singapore

1927 wrote:

I find the best maps to be an Engineer is with plenty of water. Songhau for eg. (pick mec)
I stopped reading here.
lAgBlRhino
+8|6699|Brisbane
Thanks Vproman. I'm playing a lot of enginner lately (1 eng in tank + 1 in APC = virtual unstopable team) so it was good to get another person perspective on the class.

Good Job.
afewje
Banned
+5|6610
Tactic #1) How to safely self repair
Simply, get out (you usually get out on the site the barrel it pointing), get to the opposite side of attack, and just repair it. Caveats: 1.) In close quarters drop an AT-Mine below it, repair it back to non-smoking, pop-smoke, and drive away. Usually, that tank pounding you will chase you, and blow up on that nice AT treat. 2.) In wide open maps with plenty of snipers, hide under it and repair, then hit E to enter again. 3.) If you know your going to die, drop an AT mine under it repair to non-flaming, and let them see you try to escape. They will jump in it, and they will die

i heal my self and i do good
vpyroman
Aeon Supreme commander
+16|6616|UCF

lAgBlRhino wrote:

Thanks Vproman. I'm playing a lot of enginner lately (1 eng in tank + 1 in APC = virtual unstopable team) so it was good to get another person perspective on the class.

Good Job.
Just watch out for that C4 SOB, if you spot him, Blast him across the field with your shotgun.
MephistoJade
+0|6763|USA/England

vpyroman wrote:

lAgBlRhino wrote:

Good Job.
Just watch out for that C4 SOB, if you spot him, Blast him across the field with your shotgun.
Amen about those C4 bastards.  Another thing I've noticed (I've spent quite a bit of time playing Engineer lately, though without the Jackoffer unlocked) is that it's also a good idea to repair commander assets while in a jeep, manning the machine gun, as opposed to sitting in the driver's seat or with your wrench out.
wilber69
+8|6632
Engineer 

https://img232.imageshack.us/img232/1917/screen0013dq.th.png

Last edited by wilber69 (2006-03-23 09:52:09)

polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6788|Singapore

Zomg. Pure AT Mining?!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard