maton
LAZY ZOMBIE
+-4|6782
for you guys wich is the minimun distance of a long shot of a sniper rifle?
I see people with diferent opinions abouth this
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6793|Singapore

Eh come again?

Are you asking what constitutes a 'long shot' with a sniper rifle? Long as in.. Long in distance, or 'long shot' as in small chance?
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6775|AUS, Canberra
yeh its a bit confusing

well i always kill people i cant acctually see, i just have a set distance i aim under their name.
happens alot on sharqi with the fog.
so i guess thats a long shot.
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6705
It depends on the map really, on maps that are designed for air vehicles, the view range is much higher and i would consider a 'long shot' to pretty long. But on a map like Sharqi, where the view range is ludicrously short, a long shot would be much less. I dont really snipe very often, and I tend to snipe from pretty short distances, so my opinion would be pretty useless on this topic.
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6793|Singapore

the_heart_attack wrote:

yeh its a bit confusing

well i always kill people i cant acctually see because i'm a lucky bugger, i just have a set distance i aim under their name. and consequentially miss of course, then i start shooting wildly
happens alot on sharqi with the fog which i can never see through therefore i need to shoot wildly.
so i guess thats a long shot.I should know, i do it all the time, its like spitting in the ocean
rustynutz
I am British!
+124|6687|England and damn proud

Skruples wrote:

It depends on the map really, on maps that are designed for air vehicles, the view range is much higher and i would consider a 'long shot' to pretty long. But on a map like Sharqi, where the view range is ludicrously short, a long shot would be much less. I dont really snipe very often, and I tend to snipe from pretty short distances, so my opinion would be pretty useless on this topic.
then why did u post?

i think he means long shot to be to shoot some 1, i would say the minimum distance of a long shot would be about 150m but eh i could be wrong, this for the game not real life, if real life then 150 would be like a stones throw away
EvilJebus
+11|6629
I'd say that anything over 150m is along shot, at least one that takes a little skill. After that it starts to get hard. Some people on here claim shots at over 300m, I don't remember myself ever making one that long, although I've made some long ones that might have come close.
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6793|Singapore

Won't know till he clarifies
maton
LAZY ZOMBIE
+-4|6782
i mean long in distances
i think that 150 to 200 is mediun range, cause you still can kill someone with an assault riffle at 100 mts and over the 200 mts is the minimun distance of a long shot.
ST19AG_WGreymon
+5|6745|Clinton, MD, USA
Where the fog starts.
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6705

rustynutz wrote:

Skruples wrote:

then why did u post?

i think he means long shot to be to shoot some 1, i would say the minimum distance of a long shot would be about 150m but eh i could be wrong, this for the game not real life, if real life then 150 would be like a stones throw away
Mostly to point out that the difference in fog distance on the maps makes the original question somewhat misleading. What is considered long for one map may be outside of the sight range on another.
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6793|Singapore

Pwn him Skruples
vassili_zaitsev
+1|6631
On maps without much fog, I'd say 200m+ is a 'long' shot.

In foggy maps, anything off near the fog is a 'long' shot I guess.
belikeron
+-1|6637
If you have to adjsut your aim to compensate for distance then its a long shot. If its just a dead on aim shot then its not a long shot in my book.
mporlier
+42|6644|Montreal, Canada

EvilJebus wrote:

I'd say that anything over 150m is along shot, at least one that takes a little skill. After that it starts to get hard. Some people on here claim shots at over 300m, I don't remember myself ever making one that long, although I've made some long ones that might have come close.
300m shots are usual. You DO need proper conditions:

Good map (Kubra Dam for exemple)
Immobile victim
Lots of time cuse you will probably need more than 2 shots

My video card draw distance is 360m after that I see the guy dissapear! Once I did shoot him just after but it was a lucky shot.
Jakethe8lf
+13|6645|Victoria, Australia
Video card draw distance? Or draw distance setting?
vassili_zaitsev
+1|6631

mporlier wrote:

EvilJebus wrote:

300m shots are usual. You DO need proper conditions:

Good map (Kubra Dam for exemple)
Immobile victim
Lots of time cuse you will probably need more than 2 shots

My video card draw distance is 360m after that I see the guy dissapear! Once I did shoot him just after but it was a lucky shot.
Hmmm, what video card do you have? I assume your draw distance is at 100%?

Last night playing Kubra Dam I could clearly see enemies at a flag marked as 430m away...
staticblue
Vindicator
+28|6740|Houston, TX
I would think any shot that calls for aim adjustment due to bullet arcing would be a long shot. I was hitting people from about a quarter mile on the quarry. You have to aim nearly a 3/4s of a bodly length higher to hit 'em with the "L". I wonder if the "M95" has less arc since it more powerful.

Last edited by staticblue (2006-03-16 14:36:56)

w00tson
+0|6631|Schmuckland

staticblue wrote:

I wonder if the "M95" has less arc since it more powerful.
Heavier bullet, more arc. Or more drop rather.
EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6656
I guess the first one I would call medium to long range and the second image long range. (just outside of draw distance)

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~mccasey … een016.jpg (I feel sorry for Darran9, on that day I killed him numerous times from pretty much the same spot)

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~mccasey … een018.jpg This is my long range sniping, I joined that game about halfway through.. good game too, 17 kills 0 deaths. Never got found, which is surprising as when i'm a sniper I always look at that whole area where I was sniping from for other snipers.
staticblue
Vindicator
+28|6740|Houston, TX

w00tson wrote:

staticblue wrote:

Do they fire at the same velocity? I was thinking that if the M95 fires the bullet much faster than the extra mass would actually help it stay straight longer. That's real life physics though not, BF2. hehe.
maton
LAZY ZOMBIE
+-4|6782
yesterday i was doing some testing with L96 and M95 at wake island, i was at north village shooting with L96 to a friend that was standing at the bridge that is near sout base, the distance was around 350 mts, and i had to aim almos HALF boddy above the head to make a head shot, i did the same shot twice to be sure, then i use the M95 and i just aimed a little above the head to make the head shot.
i know it was the same distance because i had a supply box at the place where i was standing and my friend was standing next to nother supply box.
=FDX=VEga
Carlos Hathcock Jr
+7|6716|'Ull, Yorkshire, England
I'd say a long shot is anything that requires the use of bullet drop, with the M95 this is probably anything beyond 100m or so, with the M24 its anything beyond 150m. Usually its not the long shots that are difficult for me anymore, i've learned to compensate for BD and the difficult ones are the ones at 100+ metres where i can only see a tiny part of someone like a foot sticking through a wall (thanks to DICE to this wonderful, sniper friendly bug)

One of my friends insists that he has no use for bolt action snipers anymore because a PKM or SVD can rock all over them, I told him that the PKM and SVD can't match the bolt actions for precision and he doesn't believe me. He also doesn't believe in Bullet Drop, he says its only required with the M95 and thats only at distances of 300m or more. Opinions anyone?
[zulu]steviep831
+6|6637|Florida
I've just recently begun to devote some time to the sniper rifles. I just love the kit (had my first M95 helo pilot kill just two nights ago), but hadn't really wanted to be patient enough. From reading some threads on the sniper rifle, it looks like bullet drop is a real thing. I'll have an obedient target that I would consider a long shot (in that misty periphery of the fog) and I will have a perfect head shot and miss. Only to get a kill assist a few seconds later. So I hope you don't mind maton, but can I give your thread a little direction?

Can you vetern sniper guys give us some insight into your adjustments for shooting targets at longer distances? Staticblue gave us some hints already, but can anyone else shed some light?
NPN_Scorpio
+2|6686|King's Island

w00tson wrote:

staticblue wrote:

Not so, at least not IRL.

I don't know what the trajectories are in the game (I don't like the noisy M95), but in real life the trajectory is a function of muzzle velocity, elevation and the ballistic coefficient of the bullet. (OK, air pressure, humidity, temperature and wind also have an effect, but those are not under the rifleman's control.)

The ballistic coefficient describes the bullet's air resistance, its tendency to lose velocity in flight.
Higher BC = more streamlined bullet = better velocity retention = flatter trajectory.

The .50 BMG cartridge launches a heavy bullet, true (ca 700 grains), but the BC is higher than that of the .308 Winchester (ca 165 grain bullet). The bullet is also launched at a higher velocity than the .308 Win can muster.

Higher velocity + higher BC => flatter trajectory = less bullet drop.

Q.E.D.

I could bore you all to tears with numbers from my reloading manuals, or you could peruse some reloading sites to prove me wrong

Last edited by NPN_Scorpio (2006-03-17 12:15:30)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard