lordlupin
+0|6625
Hi all,

i've had an excellent ping for ages, usually no more than 30ms when i'm playing bf2.

everything was fine last night and after i installed the new patch today, suddenly my ping has shot up.

my ping is now between 70ms and 300ms and keep jumping about.

despite the fact that the game has become almost unplayable i also keep getting kicked by punkbuster for 'losing packets'.

everything else works fine.  if i go to cmd and ping the bbc website (ping www.bbc.co.uk at the command prompt) i get an average ping of 20ms as i used to.  My internet still works fine and all my webpages are as swift as they used to be.

My flatmate plays bf2 as well on his pc.  We have a router set up in the flat and his gaming hasn't been affected by this at all.  I've tried turning the router and modem off and disabling and enabling my network connection as well as repairing it but since this only seems to be a problem with the game i'm getting very frustrated.

I know it doesn't sound right that this patch has suddenly caused something to change on my version of the game which affects ping but that certainly seems to be the way its looking.

Has anyone else found this to be a problem?

cheers
Empathy
+12|6702
in your bf2 options what do you have the network settings set to?

I get higher pings using my DSL when i set it to T1 vs setting it to 256kbps Cable, it has to do with the amount of bandwidth required to keep a stable connection or something.
JimCognito
+10|6682
I'm getting the same problem.  Browsing for servers in the All Seeing Eye there are barely any showing up under 100 ping for me.  I guess I should really just put BF2 away till they release a real patch that actually fixes things and doesn't mess up other aspects of the game.....so I guess I'll be playing again sometime in 07.
.-=5TON3R=-.
+0|6724
my mate had eratic ping the other week & he rang telewest (his uk cable provider) & told them & they said it was down to his connection being in a high traffic channel & they moved him to another & pings been fine ever since,before his ping was spiking upto 600+ randomly in servers.ring your isp provider & they should sort you out.
=.FFP.=Seeks
+0|6654|Building Behind You
my ping spiked before the patch. Now it still spikes but no way near as high. It spikes at 100 now wheras before it would spike at 1000. I could not play properly on most servers before the patch. Now its fine!!! I am happy. Ping back below 30ms
joe_shmoee
+0|6624
lordlupin, the same thing happened to me.  My computer played BF2 fantastic before the 1.21 incremental patch.  I installed the patch successfully and it stopped perfoming immediately and the update server now only incriments 20 servers at a time... The lowest ping i see is now ~150.  When I play it is very laggy.  My other computer has the unpatched version and many pings are fine at 109 or better so I know it is not my internet connection amd they play fine.  Also, the internet continues to be speedy for me which leads me to believe there may be something defunct with the incremental 1.21 patch.

I have cable and that cable/T1 setting didn't make a difference.   I am running a dell dual core 2.8Ghz with a gig of ram and a Dell ATI X600 with 128Mb of video memory that uses another 128Mb of system ram so they can call it a 256Mb card. (I don't need to read comments on how people feel about Dell)

It is definitely not associated with my internet connection... Wondering what else can it be.  I downloaded the full 1.21 patch last night and it sounds like I'm going to have to uninstall/reinstall the game and run the full patch to see if that makes a difference
thefousteph
+8|6733
This is ridicilous,

I have the same problem barely able to connect to any server and once i managed to connect, i get an unplayable ping (even if in the piont window, i see a 54 ping ?!?!) it always pop the "there is a problem with your connection" at unwanted times - every 1.5 min that is...

Everything was fine before incremented that patch
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6831|Grapevine, TX
Read this thread, and try this....... http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=16142
joe_shmoee
+0|6624
OK, I've been messing with this all day and have determined that the full 1.21 and incremental 1.20 to 1.21 patches cause a significant server update delay and in-game lag that was never present before in any patch version.

What I did:

I uninstalled both BF2 and BF2SF.  Rebooted.  Reinstalled BF2.  Rebooted.  Ran full 1.21 patch.  I see the same server update lag and poor ping regardless of using 1.20 to 1.21 incremental upgrade or the 1.21 full upgrade. doh!

So next I uninstalled BF2 again.  Rebooted.  Reinstalled BF2.  Rebooted.  Saw no server update lag with base install.  Ran older 1.20 full patch.  Server update lag eliminated, server pings acceptable.  Gameplay fine again with version 1.20.

The conclusion is that the 1.21 patch absolutely introduces some undesirable effect on my system (Dell 9100 Desktop, Pentium D 2.8Ghz, Dell version of ATI Radeon x600 256Mb HyperMemory (128MbVid mem/128MBsystemmem but sold as a 256MB video card), 1Gb Ram, Intel PRO/100 VE Network card, sound blaster live! 24-bit soundcard, Windows XP Home SP2).  I have never received any errors with connectivity but the lag introduced because of this new 1.21 patch renders the 1.21 version of the game unusable.

Lag occurs whether or not Mcafee Virus software is running.

A server update used to take 15 seconds with 1.2, it now takes ~3x as long to update server list.  Servers with pings <150 are not available as they were before.  In game ping ~120 at best now.  used to be much better.  ~30-40 usually.

I'm therefore forced to continue to play 1.20 servers while the majority moves to 1.21 servers.  Patch developers, lets get the kinks worked out and I'll check out (T)eflon(S)hadows suggestion.  It sounds like the patch fixed many people's problems but it came at a price, knocking others down and out.  Let me know if I can be of assistance in testing any fixes.  It would be nice to get this stuff working.  [email protected]

It's not my hardware, its not my network connection.  The problem is introduced in the 1.21 patch.  Maybe theres a switch or something that I need to flip now... I don't know because I didn't write the patch and don't know what was changed.  Patch writers... feel free to comment.
joe_shmoee
+0|6624
Since my last effort, I updated my video driver, network card driver, system BIOS, and chipset drivers.  Each and every update made no improvement.  Now Trying to go back to 1.20, the installation will just stop after prompting for disk2 or disk3.  I can't even get the original software installed...  I bought 2 copys of the BF2 game and now neither copy will install.  I performed a defrag which didn't help the installation complete as well. 

I have no idea what the heck is going on.  This is a huge headache as now I am thinking that a new OS install may be necessary.  What else can I do if the game won't install?  I am very very disappointed with the issues that are spiriling out of control due to patch 1.21.

Beware of this patch.  Although I believe it is likely, this may or may not be EA's fault, that has yet to be determined, but this patch certainly was the catalyst to the headache many of us are experiencing.
thefousteph
+8|6733
Joe, did you think of a System restoration?

I did got this proble once (unable to uninstall) so i restore to a previous date before problem occurs, and ive been able to uninstall.

Try it!
joe_shmoee
+0|6624

thefousteph wrote:

Joe, did you think of a System restoration?

I did got this proble once (unable to uninstall) so i restore to a previous date before problem occurs, and ive been able to uninstall.

Try it!
I tried a system restore to back up to pre-1.21.  After that finished and I tried to run BF2, I got an error "mods/bf2/shaders/staticmesh.fx not found.  Do check working director and sync your shaders folder before calling upon your local rendering programmer gp (really!)"  ???  the installation refused to uninstall.  I saw other people who recieved this error after a restore as well.  I took it to the next level.

I backed up my data and then restored my dell PC to factory condition.  A neat ctrl-f11 function that worked slick... props to Dell.  Especially since my SATA drive would not be recognized by the winXP install CD.  I updated all the windows updates and ran the installation again... Now all my drivers were back the way they were originally, the only difference was that I updated my Dell 9100 BIOS from A01 to A02 from earlier.  I then tried to reinstall the BF2 disks and dammit the installation again silently stalls after asking for disk 2. When the drive is opened, a promt pops up to retry or cancel.  Retrying doesn't help so the only thing you can do is cancel the install.  Freaking unbelievable!

Its not cause by Mcafee virus software interference for certain because I am now running Norton after the fresh install and have the same problem.

at this point it there is a possibility of it being a couple of things.
1. BIOS upgrade from A01 to A02 messed something up.  I can't go back to A01 Bios to see if that makes a difference because it isn't offered by Dell's website...  I'll have to phone them and plead i guess.  That will be fun. **UPDATE** BIOS was reverted back to A01 and problem was not eliminated.  The Dell BIOS upgrade is not to blame!

2. Something about a recent windows update has hosed something.  I don't think so though because earlier this week the installation worked and then stopped all of a sudden.  I know for certain it is not a bad disk because I own two copies of BF2.  I am beginning to believe that it is an interoperbility issue with the windows installer and BF2 installation program installshield.   I wonder if this could be related to Windows Installer 3.1 (KB893803) (V2 revision 4.0 whatever that means) came out on OCt 22nd.  There is a new version from Microsoft which supposedly helps installations from hanging...  maybe I'm getting it from two ends. see:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta … layLang=en

Issue that is addressed in Windows Installer 3.1 (v2)
• Windows Installer no longer fails silently when the installer tries to update a file that is protected by the Windows File Protection feature. 

3. The disk is not being read correctly by my drive.  I don't think so though.  Others have complained about these exact symptoms as me.  I ran a utility where the drive is put through its paces and it was able to read all 3 data diskes (except block 840 of disk1 which I bet is a copy protection.

Last edited by joe_shmoee (2006-03-12 12:43:15)

joe_shmoee
+0|6624
OK I think i have the solution to the CD installation problem:  At least when I made this change the empteenth installation worked.  The problem is due to the Sonic CD/DVD software that is shipping with Dell PCs.  Here is a piece of a thread off of Dell's website.  It sounds like it is an intermittent problem.

If you have Sonic recordNow on your system, disable the DLA part
of it and try again here .............
- Double-click on the My Computer icon
- In the My Computer window, right-click on the CD device then choose Properties
- On the CD Drive Properties screen, click on the DLA tab, then remove the checkmark
from Enable DLA on your drives
- Click the OK button, then restart computer

I've been following the threads were the Sonic DLA is mentioned. Quite interesting. Is this something new that has only just recently occured?

well the funny thing is its only on battlefield 2 it did that but i turned it off and installing worked great guess i will have to keep an eye out to figure out why thats happens.

This started showing up when Dell started to supply the Sonic OEM software
as the starter burning software with its systems. It is very intermittent
in how it affects a system.

Last edited by joe_shmoee (2006-03-12 14:10:01)

morbesso666
+0|6766|Givataim, Israel

thefousteph wrote:

This is ridicilous,

I have the same problem barely able to connect to any server and once i managed to connect, i get an unplayable ping (even if in the piont window, i see a 54 ping ?!?!) it always pop the "there is a problem with your connection" at unwanted times - every 1.5 min that is...

Everything was fine before incremented that patch
"(even if in the piont window, i see a 54 ping ?!?!)"
I didn't get what you was writing, plz explain so I can help.
Well, I live in Israel and like in previous versions I have only servers with 100+ pings but I'm still able to connect, so your problem isn't the ping but somehow problem with your connection really. Maybe it's the internet company of yours or some settings you changed (windows settings).
Chou
+737|6793
I just got CTD out of the fucking blue, Dice you have some crappy programmers there, damn.
kontrolcrimson
Get your body beat.
+183|6829|Australia
the same connection problem and mass lag has been happening here in australia too. On nearly all servers, on any provider.
thefousteph
+8|6733
i mean point window (where you see your point and ping also)

It's not a connection problem since i came back to 1.2 and everything is right now.

It's related to that new crappy piece o s**t patch of my arse.

I starting to get really frustrated against those guys....always issues at every patch - that's not normal.
joker8baller
+68|6668
Umm, contacted EA, they said it was my internet/computer causing the problem, which seems to be me to be cpmplete and utter bs, because I can play any other game and not get a connection error that kills my internet. People are getting this problem, and the common belief is that the new patch has a higher attention to packet loss.
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6747

I am having similar network problems that I did not have ever before in any patch version. I uninstalled rebooted reinstalled rebooted, and am now patching to 1.21 full patch version. If anything improves I'll let you know, but I am skeptical as I think this patch improved some peoples but seems to have hurt others.

I have noticed that my EA games folder used to contain Battlefield 2 and Special Forces, but now it contains only Battlefield 2 and SF is now contained in the mods directory of BF2. Methinks a directory change is indictive of differences between using the full patch and incremental patches.

Last edited by [CANADA]_Zenmaster (2006-03-13 19:28:05)

[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6747

Repatching fixed my lag along with more defragging and rebooting
SniperEyes74
+0|6675
Help Help Help Help. Why the ping is so high when you patched the games? Some one have any hints or tips?

[url=http://rankedservers.hypernia.net][img]http://img.tehsig.com/usr_31863/tpl_1/image.jpg[/img][/url]

Last edited by SniperEyes74 (2006-03-13 20:52:37)

Fredline
+13|6622|Seattle, WA
Strange thing with this new patch for me is I can have great Ping, like 65, but hideous lag & frequent "There's a Problem With Your Connection" errors. Doesn't make any sense.
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6747

Fredline wrote:

Strange thing with this new patch for me is I can have great Ping, like 65, but hideous lag & frequent "There's a Problem With Your Connection" errors. Doesn't make any sense.
I had similar, if you used the incremental patch, it seems to fuck up users who used to be fine. Backup your profile from your mydocuments, uninstall bf2 and sf. reboot. reinstall bf2. reboot. install sf. reboot. download the full 1.20 patch not any incrementals. install. reboot. defrag. play.

The game looked very very different for me when I did this and used my old settings but the new full patch (I manually redid my video settings again but used my old profile for key configs) and let the shaders rebuild. Once I did this, I went to play and the game looked very different on the same video settings I had before, this was the first indication that something was different - I ended up changing my resolution to 1280x1024 to make it look better on medium settings, whereas I used to play on medium settings but with 1024x768. I've always used 4x aa and 4x af.

Regardless, the reinstall made my game look much worse on 1024x768, especially at a distance, it was like antialiasing was not working at all, I even bumped it up to 6x to see what was going on. Changing to 1280x1024 and using my old medium video settings and 4xaa and 4xaf the game has never looked better and run smoother. Obviously something is up when using that incremental patch, as it changed my SF directory and my video did not look the same with the same settings.

Now my game runs and looks great, but what if you have this identical problem and can't run at 1280x1024 because it will hit your fps too hard? I guess your fucked, but EA likes fucking us so get used to it :{
SniperEyes74
+0|6675
Even though I keep defrag an uninstalling the freaking lag still. My connection is good cus a tech came and check it out. Here some pics 1- says 123, 2- 105, last one check how ping is for the games, well its seems like another week without playing the game.

http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=130ta.png

http://img484.imageshack.us/my.php?image=126jb.png

http://img210.imageshack.us/my.php?image=148rp.png

[url=http://rankedservers.hypernia.net][img]http://img.tehsig.com/usr_31863/tpl_1/image.jpg[/img][/url]

Last edited by SniperEyes74 (2006-03-14 17:58:15)

joe_shmoee
+0|6624
SniperEyes74,

does it take a noticably longer time to update the server list.  I noticed this as well as the poor in-game pings with 1.21.  It sounds like you are having the same problem as me.  What kind of hardware are you running?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard