IronFerret
+48|6655|Mexico City.
I dont want to ofense nobody.. but what do you think of that? i grab this video from another topic:

http://media.putfile.com/Rooftop-Camping-PKM-Style

there it goes with the pkm you have ARMOR+UNLIMITED AMMO
with the medic kit you got HEAL YOURSELF+G36
with spec ops you have C4+G36

But the sniper kit you have to be looking to the glass.. hiting moving targets its dificult.. you dont have any armor.. with the new patch you have just 2 claymores.. your pretty much fuck up if an armor spots you.. and i have never take a flag with an sniper kit.. or saw someone doing it with out suport of other kits.. its assault hability its reduce to its tinny pistol...

And about that "camo" common.. its useless. in my opinion only make you a shining target..  "look there it goes a sniper kill him!! (you look like an ewok or something).. Also you might say that sniper its made to be sneaky.. but what the hell you can be sneaky even in the enginer kit.. whats that diferences "your camo" dont think so.

dont take my wrong i think snipers are cool but in this game its pretty much useless.

Last edited by IronFerret (2006-04-24 15:21:57)

Knochenmann_AUT
+1|6725
There are no weaks classes. There are only waek players.
Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6744|Houston, TX
I don't think it's useless.  Challenging, but not useless.
Look up [GDC]SinnFein http://bf2s.com/player/46218418/
and
Books_DCDF http://bf2s.com/player/Books_DCDF/
If you get a chance, and they are gracious enough to allow a tag along, play with either. They know what they are doing.  I'd believe that these two and many others have found a useful way to apply the kit.  It may not be a well suited kit to you, but with time and patience (especially with the sniper kit) it could be. 

This isn't a flame or a heckle, and I agree the sniper/support kit (that relies on the power of the PKM) is a force to contend with, but the sniper kit is still applicable on the battlefield.

KJ
Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6750|Toronto, ON
I'll see you on the battlefield.
Alpha as fuck.
HisInfernalDeath
+23|6723|Belgium
When you are good, there wont be anyone saying " look there goes a sniper"

I've done some major damage as a sniper, also capping flags and stuff. U just have to time what your next step will be.. Dont rush out there in the open battlefield with your gun towards a tank, but avoid them.. Lots of ways to do that..

Just be smart and have patience.. lots of patience..thats the key..

One shot, one kill.. thats the way its supposed to be
Buzerk1
+44|6835
This guy on this video killed that many people with the PKM because no one went for him. And if I'm not mistaken it was the last one to be capture and he was just spawn killing at some point.

I'm not saying the PKM isn't powerful. I'm just saying a good sniper would have take him out of the roof.

And this guy is above average with the PKM. I'm OK with the PKM, but I never was able to use it the way he did.

Put someone very good with a sniper rifle against a PKM for long range shot, and the sniper will always win.

BTW, if you play sniper... you hide, you shoot, you move.  If an armor can get you, then you picked the wrong spot. "Sneaky", means you don't rush in the action as if you were assault. High ground are not necessarely the best possition as you can easily be spot.

Stay in one place and you are dead meat. Since the patch I played the sniper kit a lot and like it a lot. Use your claymore wisely (i'm not talking about spamming before 1.21) and you will get your share of kill. When I want to relax, I play sniper and let  the others go for the flag...I make sure I got their back.

Last edited by Buzerk1 (2006-03-10 11:06:06)

BUDFORCE
Moderator Emeritus
+76|6771|London UK

Nyte wrote:

I'll see you on the battlefield.
lol, yea you go sniper, Ill go F15
ShadowMerk
+0|6622|Hillsborough, NJ
Well from that video, the farthest we saw him shoot was about 150m. I would hope that being a sniper, you could hit people past 150m. I normally shoot at 300m+, so I don’t for see this replacing the sniper class, as it just doesn’t have the same range.
maton
LAZY ZOMBIE
+-4|6776

Knochenmann_AUT wrote:

There are no weaks classes. There are only waek players.
I agree
jjrp02
+18|6646|Baton Rouge, LA, USA
snipers are pretty effective depending on how you use them...

if you use them to march into a hot zone...then yeah...you'll be toast..

but if you're like me, I play sniper a lot on WAKE, and take a postion near the crashed zero on the north approach to north village...and pick off USMC as they land or when they try to snipe from arty island...(roughly 200m or so dunno for sure)

or I can snipe people from the right guard tower on the north end of airfield...all the way to north base (350m or so)

or I can snipe from the small hill near the airfield flag and get those trying to take out the arty or try to snipe from the south base hill (300+ m)

using this method I can get ~20 kills and ~3-5 deaths IAR...and 2 or 3 of my deaths will be from arty and not from enemy sniper fire
lWar Pigl
+4|6623|South Coast, Massachusetts
The sniper kit is not completely useless.  It just takes a little more forethought to use.  A sniper should not try to cap flags.  That is not the role of the sniper kit.  When I snipe, I avoid capping flags and maintain a safe distance from the flag and snipe enemy troops that try to cap the flags.  One role that I do not see many snipers portray is that of a scout.  While waiting for an unsuspecting victim, I call out anything and everything that crosses my field of vision to give advanced warning to my teammates that something is coming their way.  A sniper is supposed to utilize stealth to achieve his objective.  That's why he is un-armored and can sprint faster that all other kits.

The PKM is much more powerful now than it ever was but I don't beleive that it could or will replace the snipers role on the BF2 battlefield.  The support kit and sniper kit have two very different roles within the game and understanding that will help you become better and more effective in using either kit.

Last edited by lWar Pigl (2006-03-10 11:40:04)

[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6744

Snipers were effective flag takers when they had 5 claymores...it was fun as hell, no more people suprising you. It was also mighty annoying for the other team, but its funny watching people walk into them over and over, even if it is pretty cheap. With 5, they couldn't really go another way either, so it was like, you were guaranteed kills...lol...Alas, back to the pkm!
KurtisMayfield
+1|6653
How does watching a video about the PKM make sniping useless?

Try sniping on Daqing, or Zatar, or anything with low fog. Trust me you will have the advantage against any infantry kit. Never show yourself.. always think about cover and an escape route, and rule #1.. Change your position often. Unless you like a knife to your back.
Poofy
+0|6671|Pennsylvania
I think of a sniper's role as someone who needs to get vital kills, not mass kills. You're not doing much for your team if you're just picking off do-nothing noobs by the dime. However, if you snipe someone (Say... a PKM whore that's sitting at the top of a roof) that's doing a lot of damage to your team's ticket count, then you're actually being productive. Even sniping a Squad Leader and his fellow medic does great damage to the other teams offensive abilities, and that's just a "measly" 2 kills. Snipers aren't supposed to be out there capping flags and getting kill counts that compete with that of a Assault player.

Last edited by Poofy (2006-03-10 11:57:36)

Kamikaze17
Over the line!
+70|6747|Mark it zero.
sometimes when im sniper i will assault a flag and cap it. just gotta plant your 2 claymores in good spots, and then learn how to use the pistol effectively. also learn how to aim fast with the rifle and get a shot in, then finish them off fast with the pistol if you have to.
Inquatitis
+1|6637
its not hard to learn how to pointshoot the sniper rifles really.
EvilJebus
+11|6623
You don't know how to play a sniper. Sniper is one of my favorite kits, and I consider myself very usefull on the battlefield. I can capture flags with a sniper no problem, you just gotta know how to do it. Obviously sniper isn't for you, go back to whatever kit you play and run out in front of tanks all you want.
VspyVspy
Sniper
+183|6671|A sunburnt country
Practice Practice Practice !

It all depends on how you play the game.  There are a lot of great posts on different ways to play sniper, so go read and digest and find the game style that suits you.

Good luck and if you're not on my team, hope to see you in my scope :-)
sfg-Ice__
+4|6651
Ok, I'm not flaming here but it kind of upsets me when people complain about how snipers are useless.  Sniper is most likely the hardest class to play with the best payouts if you play smart.  You can't be a sniper and expect to own everyone.  You need to pick "targets of Opportunity".  Watch for hurt players, take the head shot (should attempt a headshot everytime...makes ya better), and plan, plan, plan. 

I've taken Flags solo as a sniper.  I've shot pilots out of choppers.  I've plugged peeps through supplie crates.  Its all about placement with snipers.  You need to find the spot that doesn't give you a shadow against the top of hills.  Also, you snipe just as well standing as you do prone.  Look at my sniper stats and they speak for themselves.  The class isn't like spec ops or assualt..you can't expect to just start and own.
PunkX
stoned
+198|6622|Canada
L9 is amazing. go home.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6773|Noizyland

I agree with you, the Sniper kit, although not useless, is definatly the most challenging kit. However, I would suggest in this scenario, (I have had endless fun doing this. It's just great.) on Sharqi Peninsular.

If you are USMC, this works when the MEC team have only got the TV Station captured. If MEC, it's good when you've pushed the USMC back to the TV Station. Lie down in amongst the bushes on the hills going over the the point. Conceal yourself in a bush. You will be almost invisable to anyone looking from above, and you won't be able to see anyone below you, (the whole "If I can see him, he can see me" dosn't apply here.)Now have a GREAT time picking off those who spawn or place themselves on the top of the tower. They leave brilliant silhouettes and they can't see you. The only ways you can die is if someone who'e walking away from the tower gets a glimps of you, (very rare - only happned to me once while doing this. You can protect yourself with a Claymore too.) or if a sniper above you guesses which bush you're in and shoots a round into it. Unless a fluke headshot, you should be able to re-locate and get to a Medic so you can find a new bush and start all over again.

It is EXCELLENT shooting and a shit-load of fun.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
deject
Got His War On
+37|6772|Golden, CO
The hardest part of being a sniper is not being seen.  If the enemy doesn't know where you are, then you can keep killing them.  If you're getting killed by people using PKMs and AK's, you're either too close or too obvious.  The support guys aren't going to get you while running & gunning, they're going to be carefully placing shots while looking down the iron sights.  You should be able to hit them in the face before they even touch you.
YoBabysDaddy
+31|6822|St. Louis, MO
I've been killed by sniper rifles and claymores less than anything else in the game.Hell,i've been knifed more.I can always usually see the snipers thanks to the commander or the distinct sound of a sniper rifle.

If a sniper could not be seen on the UAV or Scan I would use the kit more.As it is now the sniper kit is my least favorite.
SmilingBuddha
You laughin' at me, bitch?
+44|6647|Hong Kong
u really need to go back to school and pay more attention in english classes
Silverwolf3032
+0|6699
Seriously, shut the hell up and go play assult class.
My sniper skills aren't that good, but that's cuz I love Spec-Ops. I'm going for my expert sniper badge so I've been playing a lot of sniper lately and I have to say, the kit is kick ass. I've racked up a lot of kills with only a few deaths. you have to know how to play the kit, don't rush at a flag with your assult and anti-tank friends, stay back, head-shot a few enemies and let your grunts cap the flag.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard