More demanding on systems, so folks can't run it well21%21% - 34
People don't want to spend the money23%23% - 37
Well-rounded maps scare away one-trick ponies15%15% - 24
Night maps scare people13%13% - 22
Other13%13% - 22
Total: 159
luckybaer
+10|6772| Going Feral
I'm really beginning to like maps like Warlord and Ghost Town.  I always liked Devil's Perch and Night Flight, too.  Why isn't SF more popular.  I want to play a lot more, but it is hard to find a good server!!
Chao2
+8|6713|UK(stats says usa by mistake)
I think its the night maps, people always bitch about them. Personally I love them, pity servers our not running that many of them at the moment
spawnofthemist
Banned
+1,128|6640|Burmecia, Land of the Rain
its the armour and aircraft users that cant ground pound that dont play this..

i used to hate SF (not for either of the above reasons) but now i fucking love it.. i find it better than vanilla BF2
where else in BF2 can you hear badly done toff accents for the SAS (when clearly they dont all speak like that [if any at all])
Shin_Seffron
+2|6651
I think the city maps like Warlord are great. Most of the others are too, but the one i hate is the Iron Gator. Its okay on 16 player but any bigger and its just horrible trying to get onto the ship.

Generally im also beginning to prefer SF over normal BF2 because of the mixture of open area and indoor skirmishes that many of the maps offer. Also with SF maps you dont tend to get as many people who just play the one map and are "uber 1337" at spawncamping like you do in Vanilla bf2
cam420
+1|6649
THeres plenty of SF servers, most of them are day maps only(because these are the best)
Cubefreak666
I kill you in future, too
+34|6630|Germany
dunno, but I play SF more than BF2 vanilla, because i hate the Aircraft Whores.
I have played SF for 90 hours and vanila for 87 i think.
Dr.Battlefield
Got milk?
+150|6750
System Requirements
Drogos_DDT
+0|6622
For me, I've always been irritated by the fact that I'm missing most of the vanilla unlocks, or that the unlocks I get are team-dependent. Too attached to certain weapons, I guess...
HM1{N}
+86|6642|East Coast via Los Angeles, CA
I like SF a lot.  Most of my time is spend playing it which is why it is taking me longer to earn badges and such.

I'm not like these other "gods of bf2" that already have every badge with only 200 hours played because they are air and armor whores.

With SF you actually have to play well one on one versus dropping bombs on a spawn point...
Kamikaze17
Over the line!
+70|6747|Mark it zero.
if i didnt lag so much i would play it more. also if there were more servers with night maps then it would be better. night maps are what make special forces worth it. if i wanted to play bf2 because there are no jets then i would just stick to karkand/sharqi/mashtuur.
SlickWRX
+6|6741
Some people don't dig the special forces deal.  SF is more about firefights with infantry fighting infantry.  Thats not what the Battlefield series is all about.  Its about the vehicles.

Personally I don't mind if I ever see a jet again or a flight deck full of plane whores.
Maj.Do
+85|6750|good old CA
Well i dont like night maps, only exception is the airport one and the sub one at times.   
The others maps like surge i think are better then kark
{USI}_Zombie
+11|6772
I like the maps...I don't like the 10 fps I get with SF, that's why I don't play much
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6842|Bryan/College Station, TX
I have to agree that the system requirements are bit more due to bad coding IMO.

I dislike heavily that you have to reload the game in order to play SF. It shouldn't have reload the game. It should load new graphics and new objects just like any other map would do. It should not have to restart the game just to play different maps with different vehicles and weapons. That's just stupid.

However there is more reasons for me. Of all the maps in SF I only like a few.  Of all the Night Maps in SF I only like Leviathan and think the rest are crap.  Of the day maps I only like Warlord, Ghost Town, Mass Destruction and on a good day sometimes Surge. I think the rest of the maps are crap.

So:
1. Bad coding leads to lag and higher system requirements. It's a rush job and it shows.
2. Having to reload the game for new maps. Shows poor forward thinking and lack of decent coding once again.
3. Of the eight maps only four are decent, one of which is a night map which was the main selling point of SF.

Those 3 reasons are my biggest reason I do not play SF. I might one day try it out again but that won't be anytime soon I don't think. So far SF has been a $29.99 pass for a 2nd tier of unlocks.

I hope Euro Forces and the other booster packs are better than SF. I pray they are at least.

Last edited by kilroy0097 (2006-03-13 03:46:27)

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
PvtchieF73
+15|6707|Netherlands
the SF game lags much more then the vanilla one,
and i guess its for everuyone the same as i always have to look for a good server

and 2 maps just wont start with me... night flight and devils perch...
BF2 still rocks, but sf never hit it of
section9
+9|6845|USA
I'm glad there's more variety in maps for ranked servers and awards. This is why euro force and armored fury are going to be great additions in my opinion for the maps alone. They should put out in the future some ranked approved map packs and or update the ones they have now. Like a finished Dalian Plant or Kubra Dam. I wouldn't mind a battle at Karkand Airport either. Oops unless thats what the name of the airport in nightflight is lol ...

Last edited by section9 (2006-03-13 06:08:48)

PunkX
stoned
+198|6622|Canada
why isnt there an 'all of the above' option.
Auqakuh2213
Bianchi Whore.
+53|6667
I can never seem to get a stable connection to an SF server - which is pretty much the only reason I don't play it online much.
-=SoF=-Rip
+0|6680
I have had no trouble finding SF servers. I play that at least 75% of the time I play. There are a wide variety of types of servers, from full 64 to 24 on 64 maps. You just need to look for them.  There are 24/7 Warlord, Ghost Town, Day maps only, and even a 24/7 Iron Gator server.

I like the night maps much more than the day maps. Now that the claymore craze in the Warlord Palace is died down abit, I find playing the new textured Night maps alot more fun. At least you don't fall off the edges of Perch as much, as you can see the path with or without night vision.

I agree that the lack of Jets reduces the overall popularity of the mod/expansion but overall I think there are plenty of people who play.  The maps are superior to any of the vanilla BF2 maps in balance and overall playability. YMMV

Last edited by -=SoF=-Rip (2006-03-13 08:09:11)

Trooper_Collider
+25|6742
I've played SF almost nothing coz of the lag. Too laggy. Nevertheless I like Ghost Town and Warlord; these maps are different to Vanilla BF2, coz Karkand, for instance is an Urban Assault map, and Warlord is more of a combination with Urban Assault and MOUT. Certainly the indoor raids are a bit more tactical, and I like that.

Semper Fi!
sfg-Ice__
+4|6651

SlickWRX wrote:

Some people don't dig the special forces deal.  SF is more about firefights with infantry fighting infantry.  Thats not what the Battlefield series is all about.  Its about the vehicles.
LOL why have classes at all then?  Why have flags in places on ground troops can get at?  This game is all about the ground pounders and vehciles second.  I agree with you, SF focuses alot more on infantry combat than normal BF2.  Thats why I love it.  Its not about who can tank whore or plane whore the most.  It levels the playing field between people more.  I think alot of people are missing out on a whole lot of fun. 
There is nothing like dropping a zip line on top of a building, have your squad zip down and cap a flag when surrounded by enemy troops..well until the artillary starts falling
Ekfud
Infantry Whore
+42|6674|Kingswood Country
Definitely love the SF maps - am generally a dedicated Infantry Whore; these maps shift the balance from vehicles to infantry very well. The nighttime ones especially are about getting squads to move together and protect each other in the darkness. Unfortunately, the major Australian hosts run 5-6 daytime only maps and 1-2 all map rotations. Would love to get a nighttime rotation going. The darkness is your friend and makes for a lot more of those surprise knife kills and wtf? moments.

Add on top of that the freedom of movement for a well rounded squad using ziplines and grappling hooks - and you have a dynamic 3D environment and not a standup tank-slugfest. What I would love to see is a little of the counter-strike style objective play though - the intro for SF showing a US assault on Devil's Perch would be a lot more interesting if the objective WAS to destroy the asylum post.

Last edited by Ekfud (2006-03-14 18:57:31)

SunTzu
Playdough! Nope C4...
+6|6721|Toronto, ON, CAN

Chao2 wrote:

I think its the night maps, people always bitch about them. Personally I love them, pity servers our not running that many of them at the moment
The night maps make me sea sick (vertigo) because of the monochrome green, so I can only play them for a short while at a time. That or I play without the goggles (stand in the light, and your invisible to the enemy )

I agree that Mass Destruction, Warlord, Surge, and Ghost Town are great maps though!

I don't have an opinion on Euro forces yet... only played an hour.
Rakasan
+7|6835|California, USA
Lag
PvtchieF73
+15|6707|Netherlands
yep nice mod the SF bt that game always lags the shit out of me, with some exception here and there,
what about euroforces...? is that the same as the vanilla one or also just like the SF mod??

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard