chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6840|"Frisco"

In regard to...

The queue engine did freeze up -- it's been doing so on a regular basis as of late.

To put it quite bluntly, the current server and codebase can no longer handle the level of traffic incured by the users of this site. One the one hand this is super exciting, on the other hand it means people are pissed.

A little more detail: The current system was originally built as a side project -- it was never designed, thought out, or planned. It's been a complete patch on job as I made it. This means that certain measures, and certain aspects of the system were NOT taken into consideration.

This is now rearing its ugly head. The system, as it stands today, can't scale any further and has actually reached and exceeded its breaking point.

I'm NOT taking this lying down!

The $4,000 server is part of the solution -- the easy part. The second, and very difficult part of the solution, is recoding BF2S from the ground up taking into account all the hurdles, performance issues, and new expanded knowledge I have. THAT, my friends, is the task I'm slushing through. That's ~50,000 lines of code. It all has to be repurposed, scrubbed, cleaned, upgraded, and revised into a new system to make things faster, more efficient, scalable, and easier to upgrade.

... and that doesn't even include what I need to do to make these forums work right.

But it's coming along. I have the updater running -- it's 12x faster and can run that fast WITH MULTIPLE CONCURRENT THREADS (<-- important), I have half the player page rendering, I have the awards file (65k!) updated, and most of the backend classes created for loading and parsing player data finished. It's a ways from done, but progress is moving along. I should have something to show in the next two weeks.

Until then, please bear with me ... and this poor machine.
E7IX3R
is drunk and crazy
+216|6680|UK
Please take a picture of your desk.

Do you have a job or anything?

Chuy you are my idol.
Kryuk
+3|6641|Moscow,Russia
chuy,its fixed.
MrBrain
+24|6682|Finland
Thanx for the explanation, I was qurious (spelling?!) what had happened when the quene is so massive. It's quite an challenge to build a site for this many users. Keep up the good work
ammopak
+0|6710

MrBrain wrote:

Thanx for the explanation, I was qurious (spelling?!) what had happened when the quene is so massive. It's quite an challenge to build a site for this many users. Keep up the good work
ditto

=TH=[Eleanor]-NL-
The Karma Collector!
+233|6682|The Netherlands
Good work all chuy, I don't know all of what you just posted, but all I can say is keep up the good work!
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6802|Nårvei

U never thought this site would be so popular ?

Well, u are wrong :-) ........... keep up the great work chuy, we all love u ...... ehr, dont we ?
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Bernadictus
+1,055|6729

Someone throw this man a party!
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6739|The United Center
anytime someone makes something like this for thousands and thousands of people to use...for free...

grateful doesnt even begin to describe it.

keep up the great work, chuy.  i, along with tens of thousands of other people truly appreciate it.
Poncho
and I'm not a raincoat...
+91|6699|NL
No problem, chuy!

And remember ...your doing this for the fun of it! - You are, right?
Jestar
Shifty's Home Number: 02 9662 8432
+373|6733

Good Effort Mr Chuy .
Know that the site will be better than ever in no time. I can live without stats.
Poncho
+91|6699|NL

Poncho wrote:

And remember ...your doing this for the fun of it! - You are, right?
I ment the programming and desgining of course! - Sorry for any misunderstanding.
Asmodeane
+0|6624|Hellsinki, Finland
Man, I wish I had your 1337 h4x0r SkillZ0rs!

No, really. I do. I suck monkey cock at anything even remotely related to programming. I'm a marketing puke.
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6781|Singapore

Sends chuy a case of whisky.
PvtchieF73
+15|6701|Netherlands
thx for all your effort chuy! even with not completely up to date stats, the best site around!!

great Job , great site!
[QXJZ]Capt_Kefra
Alright, you're good to go!
+124|6720|Honolulu, HI
What a lot of us don't think about is that Chuy could tear up all his service provider contracts, let the bf2s.com domain expire, and sell the über leet 16GB RAM server on eBay, and walk off into the sunset with the profits (not to mention the life he'd get back by doing so).  For some reason--and given all the crap a lot of us pile on him by posting pointless threads and ragging on him for a two-day delay in the stats feed, it's truly hard to comprehend why--he continues to provide us, free of charge, with this full-featured site.  To say the very least, it's nice.

In short, 99% of us silently appreciate everything you provide us with.  0.9% of us are more vocal in our praise and express it in the threads you start to answer everyone's bitchin--er, questions.  The last 0.1% who can't find it within themselves to, I don't know, actually find something else to do while you toil away selflessly to fix the problem, are unfortunately the ones that most of us hear.  It's unfortunate, but know your efforts are appreciated by a vast majority.

Minispud and I visit bf2s.com daily, and yes, we did notice the stats feed was down.  But we found other ways to get our stats fix.  Like downloading some of those insane new movies that are now hosted under BF2S Files.  Cool stuff.

From all of us at Clan [QXJZ], many thanks and good luck.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6833|Cologne, Germany

use the paypal button, I say...

It's like buying chuy a drink, without getting drunk, of course..
UK|Hooligan
Seriously, fuck off.
+103|6680|"The Empire"
Could not agree more with other posts, top job you do with the site mate, the fact we have to wait longer for stats is a measure of how good your site is and how many people use it, thanks chuy you are a gentleman!!!

You know what they say "The best things come to those that wait", so true.
fr8
+0|6743
Now, can't you get some support (in any form) from EA?

I can already hear the forum laugh at the above sentence, but hey. EA SHOULD support their community..?
Shin_Seffron
+2|6645
Chuy must sacrafice so much of his time to keep this site running

I for one will be making a donation, it wont be much... but then i am a student!

Cheers Chuy!
[wtf]death_kill_u
+0|6633
Yes, maintaining this site is much appreciated... Definitely my favorite BF2 stats and info site, but on another note my profile hasn't been updated in approximately a week.  Sure the queue is large for an update (sometimes days in line), but when the time on queue runs out profile still isn't updated.  I didn't fine-tooth comb through this thread, but is what's explained above the culprit?  If so, no worries, I work for a software company and do some development, among other things, so I feel your pain. Thanks again for the awesome site.
NM156
The H4xor Mod
+161|6839|North Texas

[wtf]death_kill_u wrote:

but on another note my profile hasn't been updated in approximately a week.
Dude, that's not true. The graphs don't lie.
Fahrenheit
+0|6771
its a great site, well built and runs ok for me...i say every one send chuy £1,$1 whatever to help with funds...its such a small amount we wouldnt notice it lol.....wonder how many members/users there are...you could become quite rich Chuy!!!
wow just seen the page on donations and the names of donators.......thats quite a few!!!!

Last edited by Fahrenheit (2006-03-06 08:14:09)

(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6821|Grapevine, TX
Chuy,

Just another Big ole' Thanks from Big D! Your enthusiasm and dedication are apparent in your work.  And the site still looks kick ass.  Looking forward to BF2s.com ~v1.3!
Poncho
+91|6699|NL

[wtf]death_kill_u wrote:

I work for a software company and do some development, among other things, so I feel your pain. Thanks again for the awesome site.
lol, its bill gates himself...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard