Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4243

Extra Medium wrote:

In Oklahoma we don't graduate until 12th grade.  I feel cheated.
in normal countries you don't 'graduate' until you go to university. you know, the educational institution that makes you a 'graduate'.

'graduating' high-school is fucking stupid. what, you want to wear a gown and have a ceremony because you read 'of mice and men' and figured out basic algebra? congratulations! omg!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6760|PNW

Some kids get graduation for things like gradeschool and junior high school too. And lots of informal graduation parties for individual grades. Little risk, high reward.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4243
except not really a high reward because the standard of american secondary education is pretty fucking shocking.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6760|PNW

But we make sure to tell kids that they are special flowers for graduating 4th grade at the middle of the class.

Unless their parents are asian. Then you may not see them ever again.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5574

It is not a big deal
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6489|so randum

Winston_Churchill wrote:

you guys dont have an elementary school graduation? we have one every time you change schools - ie gr 8, 12 and after university/college
haha what the fuck. we might do a pub trip after high school, but you don't get any sort of public 'look at you, you've done well event until you graduate (from uni)

you know, until you've actually achieved something (and even then, it's debatable)
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4184|Oklahoma

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Extra Medium wrote:

In Oklahoma we don't graduate until 12th grade.  I feel cheated.
in normal countries you don't 'graduate' until you go to university. you know, the educational institution that makes you a 'graduate'.

'graduating' high-school is fucking stupid. what, you want to wear a gown and have a ceremony because you read 'of mice and men' and figured out basic algebra? congratulations! omg!
I know right, 97% of the population are fucking stupid losers.  Why can't we all be l33t academic's like zeek?
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4243
people who get an undergraduate degree are not 'academics'. nor are they "elite".

in america, 30-40% of the population are 'graduates' (40% if you count associate degrees).
in the uk, 25% of people are 'graduates' (it was 12% before the 1990's, when maybe you'd have a point).

"elite". no. the only qualification a person gets that makes them an on-paper 'graduate' is a college/university degree.
or do you seriously apply for jobs or talk to one another about being a "high-school graduate"?
"where'd you graduate from?" - "stuyvesant" - "ah, excellent. how's your trigonometry?" - "as excellent as my reading of macbeth, sir".
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6489|so randum
all those elite event management academics

Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4243
super-intellectual communications majors!

the fearsome equine science polymaths!

behold, societies noble elite.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6489|so randum
lets not forget the mighty media studies graduates
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6705

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

super-intellectual communications majors!

the fearsome equine science polymaths!

behold, societies noble elite.
asians who study asian studies.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4243

FatherTed wrote:

lets not forget the mighty media studies graduates
i think media studies pretty much are 'communications majors' in american parlance.

although i can't really talk shit about them because my uni's media/film department was one of the best in the country, so the people taking it weren't like flunks or dossers who couldn't make the grade to get onto a real subject.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6095|eXtreme to the maX

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

in the uk, 25% of people are 'graduates' (it was 12% before the 1990's, when maybe you'd have a point).
Yeah
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4243
and that wasn't "elitism" through performance or intelligence, either. that was a traditional class-system with terrible access to higher-education for most people from lower-middle or working-class backgrounds (good luck making it out of that culture to pass a grammar entry-exam, or even leave your group of peers/family expectations to go to a grammar; and good luck fitting in with that accent and those mannerisms, chap). i guess for the 80's it maybe started to broaden out a little, with better funding opportunities and a changing culture, but still...

and so no, university graduates when taken as a demographic bloc are not "elite".

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-06-02 05:52:42)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5574

One person died Friday in connection with a shooting at Santa Monica College in California, and authorities were investigating whether two other killings in the city were connected.

Of six people wounded, a woman has died and one was in critical condition and undergoing surgery, Dr. Marshall Morgan, chief of emergency medicine at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, told reporters.

A suspect was taken into custody, according to Sgt. Richard Lewis, a police spokesman. Witnesses told CNN a man they believed to be a gunman was shot and lay motionless on the ground.

An eyewitness on campus, Jason Garrett, told CNN the suspected shooter was dressed all in black and appeared to be wearing a tactical vest. The man appeared to be carrying a rifle, Garrett said.

A female witness -- who was shaken up by the ordeal and asked not to identified -- said she heard a noise, realized it was a gunshot, then took off running.

Then, in a hallway, she saw a dark-haired man whom she initially mistook for a police officer but later realized was the shooter. The man -- who she said was wearing black combat boots and what appeared to be a bullet-proof vest -- was quiet and walking casually

"(He had) a big shotgun," the woman said.
6 wounded, and 1 dead. Not a national tragedy. You have to have at least 5 or more dead.

imagine these people hanging around your community looking for a shooter
https://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/130607172211-08-santa-monica-shooting-horizontal-gallery.jpg
America loves this stuff.

look how happy this one is
https://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/130607165011-santa-monica-shooting-07-single-use-image-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Last edited by Macbeth (2013-06-07 16:19:35)

13/f/taiwan
+940|5687
dunkin donuts finally opened it's doors.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4243
it is kinda funny how much americans enjoy the 'call of duty'ification of real life. all those instagram photos of the SWAT teams and military in watertown or w/e it's called with the boston terror thing. people were loving it. hollywood has come to our street! it's just like the video-games! life imitates art.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6673|United States of America
I don't know what you were seeing to infer people "loving it". I remember seeing a lot of people complaining about being locked down and expressing concern about heavily armed po-po all up in their shit. You can take pictures of noteable things that don't happen every day (I recall seeing photos from the Great Blizzard of '78 in my house) without enjoying it.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5574

Death toll is at at least 7 including the shooter. Shooter had an Assault rifle.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6611|Little Bentcock
https://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/130607172211-08-santa-monica-shooting-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Is that guy at the back going one a weekend hike or something? He looks like he's carrying a lot
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6705

Adams_BJ wrote:

Is that guy at the back going one a weekend hike or something? He looks like he's carrying a lot
tacticool gear for tacticool people
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Adams_BJ
We have a situation, lone shooter, assault rifle and what appears to be a bullet proof vest.

Better pack an extra pair of undies boys, it's gonna be a long one.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6705

Adams_BJ wrote:

We have a situation, lone shooter, assault rifle and what appears to be a bullet proof vest.

Better pack an extra pair of undies boys, it's gonna be a long one.
havent you seen blackhawk down? that delta operator was so high speed low drag he packed extra shit. dont laugh at packing on 30 pounds more gear bj, you never know whats going to happen if they had to stay overnight in their own home town.
Adams_BJ
you're right, im silly.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard