Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5369|London, England

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

How are you not responsible without registration? How does it really change anything? You're not allowed to kill people whether it's registered or not.
But you can legally sell a gun to a convicted felon who has just come out of a mental hospital.

Thats a freedom too far IMO.
No you can't. It was an illegal sale and that person is in jail right now.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6634|Little Bentcock

Jay wrote:

Adams_BJ wrote:

Jay wrote:

How are you not responsible without registration? How does it really change anything? You're not allowed to kill people whether it's registered or not.
I believe you have an ethical responsibility, but not legal responsibility. Not very scary is it. Since you may not be familiar with what I am talking about here I will run you through the process of initially getting your first firearm her in AU.

Do a long arm safety course, and get a piece of paper saying that you have completed it. Fill out a licence application, with some proof of ID, your safety certificate, genuine reason etc etc. Once you have been approved you get a permit to acquire. This is a form that you would fill to let the relevant folks know what you intend to buy, they make sure you have the relevant licences to have it, and approve it. Then you take that to the gun dealer and buy your gun. Sometime between getting your licence and your PTA, the police may book in to see your site for safe keeping. They book in advance, and when they turn up you take them directly to the safe (they don't poke around your whole house). If everything is in order they say "cool" and leave you alone. Now you have your gun, and when not in use you put it in your safe. You generally get left alone unless your firearm is reported stolen or it is used in a crime. In some cases they may book to check periodically, however it's likely to be once every 5 or so years.

In the event that it is stolen, they will check your site of safe keeping. If it is apparent that someone has broken into your safe, they will file a report as normal, and there is no repercussions for you. If it is apparent that there was no tampering for the safe, then it is was not safely and properly stored (no kept in the safe, safe not locked etc) and then you may be issued with a fine or something similar to demerit point for a drivers licence. This may impede on your ability to purchase another firearm. Same if it gets stolen and you don't report it.

Long story short, it is your responsibility to keep the gun stored safely when not in use. You are free to not do so if you wish, however if you do not and it is stolen or used in a crime, you will bear some of the responsibility. I believe the repercussions only go as far as your ability to purchase firearms, not jail time or our equivalent of a 'felony'.

The whole process isn't that hard or that long.
You're forced to jump through a bunch of hoops to own something, and it doesn't even make you any safer. What a bunch of idiocy. If they made me go through that process I would just buy one of the millions of illegal firearms located in your country and be done with it. Who wants to be nannied?
Bunch of hoops and I'm not any safer? I don't go to bed afraid of being shot. I don't go out and worry about friends shooting themselves, I don't worry about children shooting each other. People keep their guns safe because it is their legal responsibility to do so. And the gun crime in this country reflect that - even with '3 million unregistered firearms'.

Some people may not want to be regulated, but its for the greater good of the community. Nannied is a childish word for people who chuck tanties at not getting their way.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I don't go to bed worrying about getting shot either. I live in a city of eight million with a homicide rate of about 500 people per year. Remarkably low.

Last edited by Jay (2013-01-03 17:06:47)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6117|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

But you can legally sell a gun to a convicted felon who has just come out of a mental hospital.

Thats a freedom too far IMO.
No you can't. It was an illegal sale and that person is in jail right now.
No, it was a straw purchase, which is different.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6117|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

I don't go to bed worrying about getting shot either. I live in a city of eight million with a homicide rate of about 500 people per year. Remarkably low.

Jay wrote:

I would just buy one of the millions of illegal firearms located in your country and be done with it.
What would that achieve for you if you're not scared of getting shot, in a country of twenty million with a homicide rate of about 700 240 people a year?

Edit corrected the figures.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-01-04 15:29:03)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6692|Disaster Free Zone

Jay wrote:

I live in a country of 22 million with a homicide rate of about 250 people per year... super duper low.

Or a city of 5million with a homicide rate of about 50 people per year....

500 aint low...
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6682|UK
the UK has a 60 million population and had 636 confirmed moiders in 2011.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Ahh, my information was outdated. There were only 209 homicides in 2011.

The last one in my area took place over five years ago:
http://projects.nytimes.com/crime/homicides/map

I live in the very sparse area of north-eastern Queens.
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6783|PNW

Maybe they're just getting better at hiding the bodies.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5485|Ventura, California

Ty wrote:

m3thod wrote:

Switzerland gunman 'kills three' in Daillon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18773158

i blame the usa
The interesting part is that the western nations with the highest amount of private gun ownership per capita, (USA and Switzerland,) are also the two counties where most people get killed and injured by guns.
BULL

SHIT

I lived in Switzerland twelve years and I can only recall 3 shootings. Know how many shootings I've seen in the U.S. over the twelve years I lived there? This is a perfect example of why gun control isn't the problem. It's the society/s mindset and the U.S. has a messed up one at that. People were so much less violent in Switzerland and everybody I knew had a gun somewhere.

I'd never feel the need to carry a gun in Switzerland. My dad had a Glock 26 in his car but he had loaded guns everywhere it was ridiculous. Anyway yeah I don't feel as safe in the U.S. as I did in Switzerland.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6753|FUCK UBISOFT

There's like 5 blacks in the entirety of switzerland
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
Switzerland has a very ethnically diverse population. There are tons of Portuguese, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Albanian, Middle-Eastern, etc. Actually you'd have a hard time trying to find actual Swiss people unless you went into smaller towns and villages.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5597

I blame violent video games and movies. I genuinely believe that stuff desensitizes us to violence while at the same time reenforcing the belief that life problems can be solved through violence. I'm not joking. You can't deny that consuming violent media has some deep seated mental effects on people on a level that isn't plainly obvious. Maybe people would resort to shooting each other less if they weren't bombarded with images that depict violence.

Now if you will excuse me I have fight video to go post.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
I definitely think the media has a large influence.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6692|Disaster Free Zone

Macbeth wrote:

I blame violent video games and movies. I genuinely believe that stuff desensitizes us to violence while at the same time reenforcing the belief that life problems can be solved through violence. I'm not joking. You can't deny that consuming violent media has some deep seated mental effects on people on a level that isn't plainly obvious. Maybe people would resort to shooting each other less if they weren't bombarded with images that depict violence.

Now if you will excuse me I have fight video to go post.
tbh, I'd blame your sports before movies. I'd want to kill someone too if all I could watch is Nascar, baseball or NFL, and the hours of nothing happening while it's on gives you plenty of time to plan what to do.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6634|Little Bentcock
Baseball is awesome.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Adams_BJ wrote:

Baseball is awesome.
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5597

MMA is the only sport I follow. Gets right down to the brass tacks. No balls or endzones or teams or any other fluff. Just one man trying to impose his will on another.
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6720|England. Stoke

Macbeth wrote:

MMA is the only sport I follow. Gets right down to the brass tacks. No balls or endzones or teams or any other fluff. Just one man trying to impose his will on another.
Nothing homoerotic about it whatsoever.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4266

Macbeth wrote:

part of the appeal of sport though is the natural grace is confers upon the refined athletes. sport is a form or physical embodiment of a sort of beauty, and an accessing of the transcendent as a result. of sorts, anyway. tennis is two guys "trying to impose their will on one another", but in a highly beautiful and strategic game. two guys smacking the shit into one another isn't exactly poetry.

Last edited by aynrandroolz (2013-01-05 07:49:53)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5597

If you see a guy trying to choke out another guy on the ground as some sort of gay eroticism then you probably need to reexamine your own sexuality.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5597

aynrandroolz wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

part of the appeal of sport though is the natural grace is confers upon the refined athletes. sport is a form or physical embodiment of a sort of beauty, and an accessing of the transcendent as a result. of sorts, anyway. tennis is two guys "trying to impose their will on one another", but in a highly beautiful and strategic game. two guys smacking the shit into one another isn't exactly poetry.
It is not jut guys smacking each other around. Brazilian jujitsu is an extremely complex combat system. So is muay thai, boxing, kick boxing, catch wrestling, etc. In mma you need you have experience in all of those or have experience countering them. To boil it down to people smacking each other is fairly ignorant of the sport.
[video]http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f58_1278025322[/video]

Last edited by Macbeth (2013-01-05 08:03:54)

coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6720|England. Stoke

Macbeth wrote:

If you see a guy trying to choke out another guy on the ground as some sort of gay eroticism then you probably need to reexamine your own sexuality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mKq-0saAwU
Oh no I don't find it erotic at all, but your morbid fascination with this sort of thing and videos of people being knocked unconscious, and your description of it being "one man imposing his will on another" isn't at all strange...
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5597

coke wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Oh no I don't find it erotic at all, but your morbid fascination with this sort of thing and videos of people being knocked unconscious, and your description of it being "one man imposing his will on another" isn't at all strange...
https://www.google.com/search?q=one+man … mp;bih=640
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6720|England. Stoke

Macbeth wrote:

coke wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

https://www.google.com/search?q=one+man … mp;bih=640
Oh well that changes everything.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard