Announcement

unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,986|6146|USA

That one was into MMOs. Also an agreeable date. Her kid's probably nearly out of high school by now.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+575|3094
Thank you for being a good sport.

What did they look like?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
Member
+470|2827
on the move again. secured a sweet studio apartment in a hip area with the locals.

have some friends coming to visit from the UK this summer so it was important to get a bigger place with room for guests.

aiming to move around quite a lot this summer, too, to the coast and to a music festival in the mountains. new place is ideally located for weekend jaunts away via plane or train.

happy ... if a little broke.

https://www.lottehotelmagazine.com/en/t … ail?no=394
living above one of the premises given in this local guide.
uziq
Member
+470|2827
after watching worrying amounts of money vacate my current account on hipster accommodation, i spent 15 minutes today writing to my managing editors and negotiated two freelance rate payrises.

life is good.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,783|5480|eXtreme to the maX
Congrats

The bad news is up to that point they were robbing you
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
Member
+470|2827
you should read marx if you want to know about surplus values. you think your superiors aren't making money off you, too? that's how it works, peon.

need i remind you again that you're closer to the drudgery of the rest of us than you are to your idol, elon musk? you get exploited too, dummy.

it's customary to get a raise at the beginning of every tax year, so long as the business is in rude health. for the last 5+ years i've been promoted/given a payrise handsomely above the rate of inflation; but now i'm freelance, i have to take my own initiative.

does it matter if someone's robbing me, if i can work 3-4 hours a day and live a good lifestyle? how many hours a week is your contract, peon?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,783|5480|eXtreme to the maX
Musk isn't actually my hero

I am
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
Member
+470|2827
congratulations.

anyway, i'm content. my finances are decent; i don't work much and live a good life.

i could earn more, take charge of my 'exploitation' and become a management-owner-capitalist; but that would mean way more responsibility than i want right now. i'm happy having a lot of disposable income and bettering myself as a person/exploring.

i say slainte! to my capitalist overlords who skim surplus value off me 'ard 'onest labours. they're the ones chained to their laptop/work mobile for 40+ hours a week and who have to deal with 3+ hours of meetings every day. i'm eating korean bbq and committing acts of gross indecency with the locals.

Last edited by uziq (2022-04-29 06:10:37)

unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,986|6146|USA

Even if I agree, it's still rattling to hear someone speak of 40h/ in the negative. Certainly a dream for an 80/100h+ salaried office slave, for whom 60h would be a fantastic start, to achieve. I know people who are up half the night on management calls (not even free in the safety of their own homes). Sleep and breaks for food or relaxation are not respected. Malnourished corporate servants all like "I can't come in to eat right now I really have to finish these emails," almost as an impulse, as if the important people receiving it will be at work before Monday and respond before midweek. I wonder why dementia is on the rise.

"Lol 20, 30 hour weeks, hOw Do YoU gEt AnYtHiNg DoNe!"
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,947|6006|949

I think expecting working-level people to slave away for more than 40 hours is ridiculous. On the flipside, we have a number of hourly workers that make more than I do because of the overtime they book.

I dont really have a problem with 40+ hour work week expectations for management, especially at the Senior Manager/Director level and above. Pay the co$t to be the bo$$, like BB King says.
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,986|6146|USA

It's true that there are jobs where there's crunch times or no way you can reasonably expect to work few hours, but a lot of the office stuff is utter busy-making. Also: bad delegation/management, taking on too much work, or dumping too much work on someone else.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-04-29 14:20:08)

_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+360|6091|Riva, MD
California actually introduced a bill to change the definition of fulltime to be 32 hours instead of 40 in the state, meaning anything over that would be be paid out as overtime, in an effort to incentivize more companies to adopt the new 32 hour workweek that some European countries are switching to.  But I don't think the bill ultimately ever went anywhere.
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,986|6146|USA

_j5689_ wrote:

California actually introduced a bill to change the definition of fulltime to be 32 hours instead of 40 in the state, meaning anything over that would be be paid out as overtime, in an effort to incentivize more companies to adopt the new 32 hour workweek that some European countries are switching to.  But I don't think the bill ultimately ever went anywhere.
Stuff like that is usually painted as "anti-business," even "anti-worker," which in a certain way of thinking may be true.

It puts pressure on a business to hire/train more people to avoid having to pay overtime, otherwise adding administrative overhead, demands, and employment count that will put them past certain operable thresholds. Also pressure on workers to go find another job so that they can work for another 60-80 hours that week, so they can afford to live.

Without a very comprehensive overhaul of how we view work in the country, I'm not sure a bill like that alone will cut it.

We could start I guess by reducing pressures on the little guys by taxing the bigger guys their fair share, but hey … who wants that? By all means, let's continue to bail out institutions that steal available housing.

e:

There's no talking about the merits of such a quest with middle-class pretender Republicans, though. "California is anti-business! Also, schools want to put kindergarteners on hormone replacement therapy without parents' input!" I got very nearly that line over the phone today. Like so much right-wing garbo, there may have originated from a kernel of truth, but blown way out of proportion and into another quadrant. You'd think Fox would be screaming if schools had a tranny factory for pre-schoolers. Where do these people read this stuff, honestly.

"Yeah, interesting. Send me a link to the article."

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-04-29 23:32:48)

_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+360|6091|Riva, MD
Yeah, this country's view of work and what we get from it is very very broken and out of line with how things should be.  There is so much basic stuff that Europe has already had guaranteed(3-4 weeks vacation time, universal healthcare, higher minimum wages, guaranteed pensions/retirement) for at least a decade or more regardless of where you work, and none of that appears to be a priority here at all for the foreseeable future.  It's extremely depressing to me.  I don't believe you should have to be super ambitious, or take 4+ years of college, or be good at negotiation, or work exactly the right job in order to make a liveable wage and have good benefits and guaranteed vacation time.  Everybody should have them.  But instead we all just keep enabling this country to be a corporate shithole where cheap, easily manipulated labor is the top political priority, and socialism is reserved only for rich people, banks and large corporations.

Last edited by _j5689_ (2022-04-30 00:04:35)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,783|5480|eXtreme to the maX
Beyond 40 hours/wk productivity drops quickly, in a creative job there's really no point working past 50 hrs

Mundane tasks are different, you can just slog away and rack up the hours and output.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,783|5480|eXtreme to the maX

_j5689_ wrote:

Yeah, this country's view of work and what we get from it is very very broken and out of line with how things should be.  There is so much basic stuff that Europe has already had guaranteed(3-4 weeks vacation time, universal healthcare, higher minimum wages, guaranteed pensions/retirement) for at least a decade or more regardless of where you work, and none of that appears to be a priority here at all for the foreseeable future.  It's extremely depressing to me.  I don't believe you should have to be super ambitious, or take 4+ years of college, or be good at negotiation, or work exactly the right job in order to make a liveable wage and have good benefits and guaranteed vacation time.  Everybody should have them.  But instead we all just keep enabling this country to be a corporate shithole where cheap, easily manipulated labor is the top political priority, and socialism is reserved only for rich people, banks and large corporations.
Sounds to me like you hate freedom
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,986|6146|USA

"Mundane tasks" also suffer from reduced quality in overwork.
uziq
Member
+470|2827

Dilbert_X wrote:

Beyond 40 hours/wk productivity drops quickly, in a creative job there's really no point working past 50 hrs

Mundane tasks are different, you can just slog away and rack up the hours and output.
i definitely can’t edit or do anything requiring intensive attention for more than about 25-30 hours a week. my quality drops off drastically after that (or i spend more and more hours shitposting on here).
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,783|5480|eXtreme to the maX
So what you're saying is, your posts here are poor quality?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Chou
Member
+737|6165

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

"Mundane tasks" also suffer from reduced quality in overwork.
Depends on the job, I crush concrete with an excavator 8-12 hours a day with an average output of 30 tonnes of extracted steel.
In this case, it's mind over matter and believe me, it is a mundane task, so they say.
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,986|6146|USA

Chou wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

"Mundane tasks" also suffer from reduced quality in overwork.
Depends on the job, I crush concrete with an excavator 8-12 hours a day with an average output of 30 tonnes of extracted steel.
In this case, it's mind over matter and believe me, it is a mundane task, so they say.
True, there are some things you can just power through. I wouldn't want to be operating heavy machinery while groggy though. Mundane tasks that require a degree of craftsmanship are more what I was talking about.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+575|3094
I could dig a job where I can put on a podcast and just press a single button all day like George Jetson.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,986|6146|USA

With Fred Flinstone you get to surf down the tail of a dinosaur.
Chou
Member
+737|6165

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Chou wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

"Mundane tasks" also suffer from reduced quality in overwork.
Depends on the job, I crush concrete with an excavator 8-12 hours a day with an average output of 30 tonnes of extracted steel.
In this case, it's mind over matter and believe me, it is a mundane task, so they say.
True, there are some things you can just power through. I wouldn't want to be operating heavy machinery while groggy though. Mundane tasks that require a degree of craftsmanship are more what I was talking about.
Like painting a Mona Lisa?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,783|5480|eXtreme to the maX

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Mundane tasks that require a degree of craftsmanship are more what I was talking about.
Like what?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2022 Jeff Minard