13rin
+977|6449
What do you do?

I'd kill the program.

Last edited by 13rin (2012-07-22 16:54:59)

I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5148|Sydney
wat
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5935|London, England

13rin wrote:

I'd kill the program.
what would that accomplish
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

Mutantbear wrote:

13rin wrote:

I'd kill the program.
It would punish people who are no longer associated with the school very much...
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
13rin
+977|6449
I think it would send a message that no program is exempt and that type of behavior is not tolerated.  Since there was a coverup to protect the program and the records, kill the program.

Last edited by 13rin (2012-07-22 18:02:25)

I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5672|College Park, MD
Nuke it from orbit like Tyler suggested in DAST Chat.

Nah, but I'd probably give them the death penalty for a few seasons or however it works. I mean fuck, SMU lost its football program over some sort of recruiting scandal, I think covering up child molestation is a lot worse than whatever SMU did.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

Penn State University will be hit with fines in excess of $30 million as part of "significant, unprecedented penalties" expected to be announced Monday by the National Collegiate Athletic Association, a source familiar with the case told CNN on Sunday.

While the school's football program will not face the so-called "death penalty" that would have prevented the team from playing in the fall, the school might have preferred a one-year suspension because of the severity of the scholarship losses, postseason sanctions and other penalties, the source said.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/22/us/penn-s … ?hpt=hp_t1

Penn state games bring in the viewers
CC-Marley
+407|6798

13rin wrote:

I'd kill the program.
For at least 2 years as a deterrent for other schools. Make a statement that all will hear.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

Jay wrote:

Mutantbear wrote:

13rin wrote:

I'd kill the program.
It would punish people who are no longer associated with the school very much...
It would force the school to reevaluate its administrative and campus culture.

Assuming anything even matters
Mutantbear

"Sending a message" isnt going to do anything positive and youd be lying to yourself if you think otherwise

Last edited by Mutantbear (2012-07-22 18:50:05)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Macbeth wrote:

Jay wrote:

Mutantbear wrote:

It would force the school to reevaluate its administrative and campus culture.

Assuming anything even matters
Hitting the student body with $30M in fines for what the past administration did is completely ass backwards. That's what? $1,000 per student? Since when is it a sports councils right to act as judge and jury for an academic university? Yeah, the coverup was terrible, but try those people in court, don't punish the entire school. I hope the NCAA burns in hell.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Mutantbear

Jay wrote:

Yeah, the coverup was terrible, but try those people in court, don't punish the entire school. I hope the NCAA burns in hell.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

we live in an all or nothing time, kill them to death or do nothing. choose. compromise is a dirty word, you can only choose extremism. right or wrong. there is no grey. black or white, it's right before you. there are no 'guilty parties', the baby must be tossed out with the bath water.

jesus wept, what in God's name is this even a thread for? are we to call for blood sacrifice next? an evil man, sheltered for awhile against prosecution for the love of football, and now members of a gaming forum get to pass judgement for nuclear war.

stupid fuckers.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

meh
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5672|College Park, MD
go terps
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6660|Tampa Bay Florida
Kill the program, or at least for 10 years or something.  People keep bringing up the fact that you'd be punishing other people as well.  I'm not so sure that even matters at this point.  There's no system in place to actually hold them accountable so just like with a little toddler, take away the candy.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Spearhead wrote:

Kill the program, or at least for 10 years or something.  People keep bringing up the fact that you'd be punishing other people as well.  I'm not so sure that even matters at this point.  There's no system in place to actually hold them accountable so just like with a little toddler, take away the candy.
Yes there is. It's called the criminal justice system. The abuse and subsequent coverup were off-field actions that really had nothing to do with the football program. It didn't help them win or lose or cheat or anything else. The bullshit just happened to take place mostly within the athletic department of a member school. The NCAA really should just butt the fuck out and let the people have their day in court.
-Frederick Bastiat
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
The cover-up had nothing to do with the football program?  huh?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
The NCAA's job is to punish teams for stuff like cheating on the field, recruitment scandals and other crap like that. All of that stuff directly impacts the product that the team puts on the field. What happened in the locker room to those children did not. It's completely outside of the NCAAs scope to levy fines or punishment for criminal matters that had nothing to do with the field of play.
-Frederick Bastiat
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
What you're missing here is the fact that the culture itself is on trial.  So in your mind, the NCAA should just pretend this didn't happen?  It's also their job to promote and uphold values within their system.  It's absolutely their right to do so.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Spearhead wrote:

What you're missing here is the fact that the culture itself is on trial.  So in your mind, the NCAA should just pretend this didn't happen?  It's also their job to promote and uphold values within their system.  It's absolutely their right to do so.
Then kick the school out of the NCAA. They should not have the ability to levy a $30M fine.

I'm really not, by any means, defending Penn State. I just hate the NCAA with a passion. I think it has far too much power, and that the way it makes money off of college players that aren't even allowed to work a side job is sickening. I think the whole system should be abolished. It's supposed to be academics first, athletics second, and the NCAA has turned that on its head. This fine is just another example of that.

Last edited by Jay (2012-07-22 20:00:15)

-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom
isnt the fine the withholding of scholarships?
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

eleven bravo wrote:

isnt the fine the withholding of scholarships?
http://deadspin.com/5928112/ncaa-may-fi … 60-million
-Frederick Bastiat
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
Well I agree, and kicking them out of the NCAA would essentially be killing the program.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

Spearhead wrote:

Well I agree, and kicking them out of the NCAA would essentially be killing the program.
the NCAA oversees more than football, by all means kill the women's gymnastic progam because the defensive coordinator from the men's football team was raping little boys in the shower.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard