Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England
You guys are kind of playing into the stereotype of the wannabe gunslinging hero with these videos...
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6388
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
west-phoenix-az
+632|6388

Lance Thomas wrote:

Hit the floor Gerri
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/Posters/Gunfighter_Lance_Thomas.jpg

Last edited by west-phoenix-az (2012-07-17 13:27:12)

https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
HITNRUNXX
+220|6709|Oklahoma City
Is it me, or did he take cover behind his female coworker, and then fire a gun repeatedly right next to a baby's head?
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6736|Oxferd Ohire
not really
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
west-phoenix-az
+632|6388

HITNRUNXX wrote:

west-phoenix-az wrote:

Is it me, or did he take cover behind his female coworker, and then fire a gun repeatedly right next to a baby's head?
it's you

He took position behind the female coworker so he could draw his pistol without the robber seeing him.
From the cameras perspective it's difficult to tell how close the baby was to the line of fire.
He appeared to have control of his firing.
In the end he was successful.
If I remember correctly he is/was a firearm instructor.

Last edited by west-phoenix-az (2012-07-17 14:44:29)

Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6621|Little Bentcock
So in 2 of the three videos, its a guy shooting at 2 guys that are running away from him, and another shooting right past a baby.

I still don't see why americans are against proper safe storage of a weapon. I'd say the majority of illegal firearms were stolen from someone who legally bought them.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

13rin wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Right, so the CCW licensing system works very well, despite it consisting of 'hoops via regulations and asinine tests'.
And it removes peoples CCWs if they commit crimes not involving firearms - which seems reasonable.

Wouldn't it be logical to apply the CCW licensing system to all gun purchases?
There all ready is a screening process to begin with.
but it's not good enough if people are still able to straw purchase for criminals, and mentally unstable people can still purchase weapons.

13rin wrote:

It wouldn't make it 'harder' for the law abiding, just a little longer winded - I bet it could done within the typical mandatory 'cooling off' period for example so really there'd be no real effect.

And I bet it would make it harder for 'bad guys' to get hold of guns in the long run.
So whats the big deal?
CWP's in FL actually eliminate the 'cooling off' period and there is none for buying long guns.
Not a fan of getting a permit that eliminates the cooling off period.  I'm not familiar with the FL CWP procedure, but the potential for some one to get approved for a CWP and then go bonkers is there.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6496

i've never registered any of my guns - rifles or handguns. money talks
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6713|US
Do "cool off periods" really do much?  How many people decide they are going to commit murder in the next 3 days, then go by a firearm to do it?  One would think that those who are so in the moment that they want to kill a person real soon will simply reach for the most convenient weapon (like say one of the 20 very long and sharp knives in the kitchen or baseball bat in the garage).  Those that are willing to plan out their crimes won't be stopped by a short delay.
rdx-fx
+955|6590

RAIMIUS wrote:

Do "cool off periods" really do much?  How many people decide they are going to commit murder in the next 3 days, then go by a firearm to do it?  One would think that those who are so in the moment that they want to kill a person real soon will simply reach for the most convenient weapon (like say one of the 20 very long and sharp knives in the kitchen or baseball bat in the garage).  Those that are willing to plan out their crimes won't be stopped by a short delay.
People that'd murder someone else because they were pissed off, are generally people with poor life planning skills in general, and poor impulse control in general.

So, yeah, give them a week or two to forget about th... ooh, shiny!

13rin
+977|6478

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

but it's not good enough if people are still able to straw purchase for criminals, and mentally unstable people can still purchase weapons.
There all ready is a check on that when the firearm is purchased.

13rin wrote:

Not a fan of getting a permit that eliminates the cooling off period.  I'm not familiar with the FL CWP procedure, but the potential for some one to get approved for a CWP and then go bonkers is there.
Of the two million issues in the last 20+ years, only 168 have gone on to commit a crime with a firearm.  That isn't even a .01 of a percent.   That makes no argument.

But just ask her about that:

She followed the law and left her gun in her glovebox that day.

Militia v. people argument:

Last edited by 13rin (2012-07-17 22:25:27)

I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS

RAIMIUS wrote:

most violent crimes are impulse crimes (60-90% iirc though i admit that is a hilarious margin). so i think rdx is correct.

Last edited by Spark (2012-07-18 06:18:07)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

13rin wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

There all ready is a check on that when the firearm is purchased.

13rin wrote:

Of the two million issues in the last 20+ years, only 168 have gone on to commit a crime with a firearm.  That isn't even a .01 of a percent.   That makes no argument.
and the statistical probability that you will need to use your concealed weapon is probably lower than that, so that makes no argument for it.

and the checks in place aren't working well enough.  And gun owners aren't being responsible enough in locking their weapons up.  As a gun owner, you should be pushing for more accountability and responsibility, not saying the status quo is fine (because it isn't).
west-phoenix-az
+632|6388
You can't accurately go off statistics for firearms being used in self defense. How many people pull a gun on someone in defense, don't fire, and nobody calls police? I bet a lot more than you'd think. The bad guy isn't going to call the cops. The guy who pulled the gun may not want the hassle or risk of getting in trouble. Also firearms are used to defend against animals (mostly dogs), but you don't really hear about those either.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

west-phoenix-az wrote:

You can't accurately go off statistics for firearms being used in self defense. How many people pull a gun on someone in defense, don't fire, and nobody calls police? I bet a lot more than you'd think. The bad guy isn't going to call the cops. The guy who pulled the gun may not want the hassle or risk of getting in trouble. Also firearms are used to defend against animals (mostly dogs), but you don't really hear about those either.
You can't accurately go off statistics for CWP issued vs. crime committed.  How many people with CWP commit crimes that go unreported or unannounced?  I bet more than you think.

I agree with you here - you can't go off statistics.  That's my point.

Firearms used to defend against dogs =
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5035|Massachusetts, USA

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

west-phoenix-az wrote:

You can't accurately go off statistics for CWP issued vs. crime committed.  How many people with CWP commit crimes that go unreported or unannounced?  I bet more than you think.

Shit happens, we have a couple packs of wild dogs where I am. In the reservoir that supplies Bostons drinking water. People just let their unwanted dogs go there.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
13rin
+977|6478

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

[
and the statistical probability that you will need to use your concealed weapon is probably lower than that, so that makes no argument for it.
How do you know?  You cite no FACTS and yet you easily dismiss decades of data to a fabricated 'statistical probability'?  You're not trying.

Just curious, do you own any insurance?

and the checks in place aren't working well enough.  And gun owners aren't being responsible enough in locking their weapons up.  As a gun owner, you should be pushing for more accountability and responsibility, not saying the status quo is fine (because it isn't).
I say the checks are working just fine (until you add the DOJ).  But noooo... You want to punish the law abiding citizen.  Gotcha. 

But define 'locked up'.  As far as I'm concerned if my home is locked, and my firearm is inside it.... Then yes, my gun is locked up.  Yet if a guy breaks in and steals a gun you want to punish the victim?  How about if he take a knife?  Should we lock those up too?

Or do you want  federally regulated safes that one must acquire from the government or an approved government vendor?
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
13rin
+977|6478

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Er, ya, you can.
It gives you a good idea. Scroll down.   

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/stats/cw_monthly.pdf

Firearms used to preserve life against   _____  =
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

No, I don't want to punish the law-abiding citizen.  I want people to be responsible - and based on FACTS (which show the majority of guns used in crimes are straw-purchased and stolen), gun owners and sellers aren't doing enough to stop criminals from procuring weapons.  I'm open to ideas too - but too often the deranged NRA-or-bust gun owners don't want to address any type of regulations or increased enforcement of existing laws because they think (erroneously) it is anti-gun.

I don't think simply locking your house is good enough.  I'd like to see some type of wall-mounted safes or lockable gun cabinets legislated.  And I'd like to see a mandate to register your guns yearly, with a government-sponsored check in to make sure a gun owner has proper storage (but i'm not sure if that is feasible).  How is requiring a gun owner to store it under lock and key punishing the gun owner?

To answer your question, yes I own insurance.  I do it for peace of mind - the same reason I've said people carry concealed weapons for.   But when someone challenges why I own insurance, I don't get all emotional and say, "well what if someone comes and runs me over in their car and I need to get surgery?  I'd rather have insurance and not need it than have no insurance. Tut tut!"
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I'd say the response to that sort of thing would be overwhelmingly negative. You'd be treating everyone like irresponsible children. No one wants to be nannied.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6713|US

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I don't think simply locking your house is good enough. I'd like to see some type of wall-mounted safes or lockable gun cabinets legislated.
Do you really think that will help?  Most residential "safes" can be broken into in a matter of minutes, if not seconds.  If a thief can get past a dead-bolted door, to get your guns, what makes you think an under $4000 safe would hold up better?

And I'd like to see a mandate to register your guns yearly, with a government-sponsored check in to make sure a gun owner has proper storage (but i'm not sure if that is feasible).
Why?  Is the government hiring people to say, "Yep, Bob still owns guns" going to solve or prevent crimes?

How is requiring a gun owner to store it under lock and key punishing the gun owner?
Your plan would require extra expenses, registration, and government inspections of people's homes on a yearly basis.  How often is your home inspected by government employees?

Last edited by RAIMIUS (2012-07-18 14:05:32)

Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6621|Little Bentcock

13rin wrote:

But define 'locked up'.  As far as I'm concerned if my home is locked, and my firearm is inside it.... Then yes, my gun is locked up.
Not it isn't.

13rin wrote:

Yet if a guy breaks in and steals a gun you want to punish the victim?
Yes. Here in AU, you are required to keep your firearm in an approved safe. If someone steals your firearm, you will be reprimanded for not having your firearm safely stored. It takes 2 seconds to lock it up, and THAT is peace of mind. Knowing your child isn't going to shoot themselves, their sibling, their next door neighbour or even yourself. Knowing that someone breaking into your house isn't going to take it and use it in a crime (that's where criminals get their guns, doncha know?) Do you actually believe that having your house locked is good enough? Because breaking into a house is so hard..

13rin wrote:

How about if he take a knife?  Should we lock those up too?
You are actually using this argument? Hell, why not lock up golf clubs too.

13rin wrote:

Or do you want  federally regulated safes that one must acquire from the government or an approved government vendor?
Yes. I see you're starting to get the hang of responsible gun ownership.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Adams_BJ wrote:

13rin wrote:

Yes. I see you're starting to get the hang of responsible gun ownership.
So responsible gun ownership means you have to pay more tax? Because that's all that is. It wouldn't do a damn thing to take guns out of the hands of criminals.
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

im confident in saying mandating storing weapons in locked containers (wall mounted or immovable) would negatively impact a criminals ability to get weapons.  Remove the emotional "federally regulated safes from the government or approved government vendor" comment.

Responsible gun ownership means more than just, "Have gun, will shoot".

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard