Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5374|London, England

UnkleRukus wrote:

How did you manage to get that idea out of that statement.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6790|Noizyland

Using fairly simple logic actually. I asked why these weapons kept showing up at mass killings, Jay suggested it's because they feature in games and other media, I asked if the outcome would be different if they didn't feature. Doesn't take a genius to follow that train of thought.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Ty wrote:

Using fairly simple logic actually. I asked why these weapons kept showing up at mass killings, Jay suggested it's because they feature in games and other media, I asked if the outcome would be different if they didn't feature. Doesn't take a genius to follow that train of thought.
Pandora's box is open, is it not? Even if it's not video games, it's:
https://scm-l3.technorati.com/10/04/30/12345/rambo.jpg

In a close range situation like these mass shootings keep occurring in, a handgun, or dual handguns, would actually be a better weapon to use. We should actually be thankful these knockoff military weapons are used instead or else more people might die
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5194|Sydney

Jay wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

@Jeakus: It's not about you asking me why I need one, it's me asking you why I shouldn't have one. Like I mentioned above, less than 0.06% of gun deaths are from assault rifles. Tell me why the fuck it should be restricted and hard to get? That's like restricting a Lamborghini vs. a honda civic when more people die in Honda Civic accidents. fucks sake man
And this post tells me there is no need to own an assault rifle. Thanks!
What part of the following sentence is difficult to comprehend? 'there is nothing special about an assault rifle' It's been said multiple times by multiple people and yet you continue to jump on the bandwagon of ignorance and push this stupid line of thought. It's a semi-automatic rifle. It is the same premise as that which lies behind the semi-automatic handgun, or the revolver. You pull the trigger one time, one bullet fires. The physics behind a handgun and rifle are differentiated by one difference: the rifle has a longer barrel and thus the muzzle velocity is higher. Hand guns compensate for this in many cases by using a larger caliber bullet. The rate of fire between the weapons is roughly even. The stopping power of the weapons is roughly even. The accuracy at close range (25m) is roughly even.

Why do police officers carry handguns instead of rifles? Could it be for the very same reasons that criminals also prefer handguns for over 99% of crimes? Ease of carry, concealment, and the tradeoff in firepower at close ranges is negligible. The ammunition is also smaller and lighter to carry.

Harping on assault rifles is an argument made by stupid people to prey on the ignorant with emotion-based messages that have no real meaning. Frankly, I think so many people on this forum have been taken in by the argument because they've been trained by FPS games to think assault rifles are godlike and handguns are puny things you whip out only when you're out of ammo. It doesn't work that way in real life, sorry.
And yet it has worked here.

Decline in gun deaths doubled since Australia destroyed 700,000 firearms
After 112 people were shot dead in 11 mass shootings* in a decade, Australia collected and destroyed categories of firearms designed to kill many people quickly. In his immediate reaction to the Port Arthur massacre, Prime Minister John Howard said of semi-automatic rifles and shotguns: "There is no legitimate interest served in my view by the free availability in this country of weapons of this kind… That is why we have proposed a comprehensive package of reforms designed to implement tougher, more effective and uniform gun laws."

As study co-author Philip Alpers points out: "The new legislation's first declared aim was to reduce the risk of similar gun massacres. In the 10½ years since the gun buy-back announcement, no mass shootings have occurred in Australia."
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6790|Noizyland

Jay wrote:

In a close range situation like these mass shootings keep occurring in, a handgun, or dual handguns, would actually be a better weapon to use. We should actually be thankful these knockoff military weapons are used instead or else more people might die
That is just an absolutely awful thing to say.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Jaekus wrote:

Jay wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

And this post tells me there is no need to own an assault rifle. Thanks!
What part of the following sentence is difficult to comprehend? 'there is nothing special about an assault rifle' It's been said multiple times by multiple people and yet you continue to jump on the bandwagon of ignorance and push this stupid line of thought. It's a semi-automatic rifle. It is the same premise as that which lies behind the semi-automatic handgun, or the revolver. You pull the trigger one time, one bullet fires. The physics behind a handgun and rifle are differentiated by one difference: the rifle has a longer barrel and thus the muzzle velocity is higher. Hand guns compensate for this in many cases by using a larger caliber bullet. The rate of fire between the weapons is roughly even. The stopping power of the weapons is roughly even. The accuracy at close range (25m) is roughly even.

Why do police officers carry handguns instead of rifles? Could it be for the very same reasons that criminals also prefer handguns for over 99% of crimes? Ease of carry, concealment, and the tradeoff in firepower at close ranges is negligible. The ammunition is also smaller and lighter to carry.

Harping on assault rifles is an argument made by stupid people to prey on the ignorant with emotion-based messages that have no real meaning. Frankly, I think so many people on this forum have been taken in by the argument because they've been trained by FPS games to think assault rifles are godlike and handguns are puny things you whip out only when you're out of ammo. It doesn't work that way in real life, sorry.
And yet it has worked here.

Decline in gun deaths doubled since Australia destroyed 700,000 firearms
After 112 people were shot dead in 11 mass shootings* in a decade, Australia collected and destroyed categories of firearms designed to kill many people quickly. In his immediate reaction to the Port Arthur massacre, Prime Minister John Howard said of semi-automatic rifles and shotguns: "There is no legitimate interest served in my view by the free availability in this country of weapons of this kind… That is why we have proposed a comprehensive package of reforms designed to implement tougher, more effective and uniform gun laws."

As study co-author Philip Alpers points out: "The new legislation's first declared aim was to reduce the risk of similar gun massacres. In the 10½ years since the gun buy-back announcement, no mass shootings have occurred in Australia."
You have approximately four million (probably more) unregistered, illegal, firearms in your country. The fact that you haven't had a mass shooting recently probably has more to do with statistical sample size than anything else. We have over 14x your population size so we should have 14x more 'mass shootings' from a statistical standpoint. A ten year sample size is nothing, honestly.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Ty wrote:

Jay wrote:

Why? Because it's the truth and completely undermines your argument? The anti-gun people have made exceedingly stupid arguments over the years that anyone with half a brain could thrash inside of a single paragraph. When people repeat them it just tells me that they buy into what their left-leaning, politically motivated news-source-of-choice says, and makes me question what other stupidity they would also follow if led by the same sources.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
+957|5194|Sydney
That study was released in 2006. 16 years now, coming up to 17 this year.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6239|Escea

It doesn't matter what is more effective in a mass shooting, there's still no common sense reason for military-grade weapons-that could very easily be converted to automatic, fitted with a Beta-C loaded with AP ammunition-to be kept in a house.

I think this incident demonstrates quite clearly the very large gap in effectiveness between rifles and handguns.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
The North Hollywood Shootout was an aberration, and led directly to the creation of SWAT teams across the country. Something like that would never happen again.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4270

Jay wrote:

The North Hollywood Shootout was an aberration, and led directly to the creation of SWAT teams across the country. Something like that would never happen again.
everything is an 'aberration' until you legislate to protect against it in advance.

isn't sandy hook an 'aberration'? shouldn't it lead directly to anti-assault rifle legislation?

& didn't the hollywood shoutout lead to legislation on the size of gun magazines? seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Last edited by aynrandroolz (2013-01-20 14:07:09)

M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6239|Escea

Jay wrote:

There were SWAT teams in operation at the time, including LA. The SWAT team was what got at least one of them in the end, but they weren't able to respond for some time. This situation could absolutely happen again.

In Mumbai you had a bunch of attackers without any form of body armour walking around with rifles fighting police and army SF for days. All someone with one of these weapons needs is a window of a few minutes to kill dozens of people. Look at Aurora and Sandy Hook. Calls went out and units responded in minutes, but it was still too late.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

M.O.A.B wrote:

Jay wrote:

There were SWAT teams in operation at the time, including LA. The SWAT team was what got at least one of them in the end, but they weren't able to respond for some time. This situation could absolutely happen again.

In Mumbai you had a bunch of attackers without any form of body armour walking around with rifles fighting police and army SF for days. All someone with one of these weapons needs is a window of a few minutes to kill dozens of people. Look at Aurora and Sandy Hook. Calls went out and units responded in minutes, but it was still too late.
My point is the features on the weapons don't matter. A semi-automatic hunting rifle would be equally, if not more, effective compared to the weapons everyone is demonizing. Or, in close quarters, any handgun. There's nothing special about 'assault weapons' except for the fact they look scarier because we've seen photos of military personel carrying them. A ban on them would do nothing except give a false sense of security.
-Frederick Bastiat
1stSFOD-Delta
Mike "The Spooge Gobbler" Morales
+376|5994|Blue Mountain State

aynrandroolz wrote:

& didn't the hollywood shoutout lead to legislation on the size of gun magazines? seems perfectly reasonable to me.
The first AWB came about in 94. The LA bank shoot out was in 97 during the AWB.

So yeah.
https://www.itwirx.com/other/hksignature.jpg

Baba Booey
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5489|Ventura, California

Dilbert_X wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

From my perspective it beyond stupid that an 18/21yr old can buy a semi-auto rifle as their first firearm, unlimiited ammunition and magazines no questions asked and without having to demonstrate some maturity and suitability, or undergo any training to possess a highly lethal weapon.
Less than 0.06% of all gun deaths are from those semi-automatic rifles with unlimited ammo. Where's the mass shootings and people dying left and right because it's an "assault weapon"man
Sandy Hook, the Batman film, those firefighters shot just lately - for example.

That the overall level of gun crime is sky-high doesn't negate the existence of these mass shootings.

That you want to "make yourself cool" is not a reason to have free and easy access to such things.
You can't buy C4 or Claymores and there's no whining that your "coolness" is affected, that you can buy an AR15 no questions asked is retarded.

As for vehicles, you can buy pretty much whatever car you want, but when it comes to more dangerous vehicles like trucks and aircraft you need to be specially trained and licensed for reasons of public safety do you not?
Sandy Hook may or may not be BS so I'm not counting that one. There's footage of the cops pulling the AR out of the guy's trunk and he never left the building, also the med examiner was drunk.

I'll give you the other two. Wait what was that number? Two? TWO! There were TWO murders you mention with ARs and only one was a mass shooting. The theater shooter, James Holmes, had his AR jam and he got most of his kills with the shotgun and handguns he had. So again your argument is pathetic.

It isn't sky high. Who are you to say it's sky high? The US is "low" on the gun murder scale when you consider per capita which is the only proper way to judge this stuff when comparing stats with other countries. England is number 4 in violent crime in Europe and that's pretty high considering crime in Eastern Europe. Your argument is pathetic and made of fail...again.

It isn't about a reason to allow access it's about you giving me a reason I shouldn't have access. You're the one trying to take away a basic freedom so YOU have to come up with the valid argument.

Same in the U.S. You need special permits for fully automatic weapons and tanks and crap.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6790|Noizyland

Jay wrote:

Ty wrote:

Jay wrote:

Why? Because it's the truth and completely undermines your argument? The anti-gun people have made exceedingly stupid arguments over the years that anyone with half a brain could thrash inside of a single paragraph. When people repeat them it just tells me that they buy into what their left-leaning, politically motivated news-source-of-choice says, and makes me question what other stupidity they would also follow if led by the same sources.
Plenty of pants-shittingly retarded ideas on your side of the fence too Jay lets not forget those - or do I have to post that video of that redneck idiot yelling at that British idiot. Stop pretending you're the island of sanity in a sea of headless chickens who wet themselves at the sight of a synthetic rifle stock.

You've made that point about the most effective way to conduct a mass slaughter before, resting easy in the idea that you are technically correct. What this does though is ignore the reality. Precious few people elaborately plan their massacres to any significant degree with the consideration to causing a maximum number of casualties, (closest recently would be Holmes who didn't bother learning how to clear a weapon jam.) What they do is grab an AR-15 and head to the local social scene to get as many kills as possible before the first responders get there. Your argument that these unbalanced people are determined enough to set up more elaborate shooting massacres in lieu of having a semi-auto rifle is just as baseless and flawed as anyone saying restrictions on military style weapons will prevent all shootings.

That being the case maybe you can understand why I think it's pretty reprehensible for someone to say people should be 'thankful' that these unbalanced people have ready access to military style weapons.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4270

-Sh1fty- wrote:

It isn't sky high. Who are you to say it's sky high? The US is "low" on the gun murder scale when you consider per capita which is the only proper way to judge this stuff when comparing stats with other countries.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co … death_rate

low? the only countries that have higher gun crime per capita than you are countries that are WAR ZONES or are run by drugs gangs. congratulations, 'world super power'.

also, the uk's violent crime stat that americans keep bringing up so much... violent crime is a wide umbrella term, for a lot of things, from intimidating-shouting (common assault), to ordinary punch-em-ups (battery), to the nastier forms - ABH, GBH, (intentional) homicide. whilst the UK has quite high 'violent crime' rates, this is of relatively little severity compared to GUN DEATHS. american right-wing pundits seem to cite that the UK has knife crime instead of gun crime... which is possibly true (look where the UK is on that above list, about 4 from bottom), but the SIGNIFICANT and OPERATIVE thing is that, hey bozo, not many people die from stabbings. the last figure i read, there were approximately 4,000 knife incidents 'causing injury' in the last 5 years. again, that's as wide a definition as 'violent crime'. compare that to 31,672 DEAD in ONE YEAR. these are not comparable statistics.

so as for you continually and cockily saying you are "blowing arguments out of the water", you might want to hone your bible camp critical skills and actually do some fucking research. because right now your own arguments are held-up by the same method of 'proof' as the bible: i say it, so it must be true. doesn't work that way in actual, reasoned debate, kid.

Last edited by aynrandroolz (2013-01-20 15:24:38)

Jaekus
+957|5194|Sydney

aynrandroolz wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate
In the karma I gave shifty I'll just say it again here. Going by that same link the US gun homicide rate per capita is more than six times that of any other first world country.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
I blame gangsters
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6674|BC, Canada
America is the only country with gangs then...
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6708
I blame whitey
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty

-Whiteroom- wrote:

I was being partially serious. The serious part is that a lot of the killings are gang-related.
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5052|Massachusetts, USA

-Sh1fty- wrote:

-Whiteroom- wrote:

I was being partially serious. The serious part is that a lot of the killings are gang-related.
Get some proof to back that up. There is a lot of violent crime that is not gang related too.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
Jaekus
+957|5194|Sydney

-Sh1fty- wrote:

-Whiteroom- wrote:

58% of gun homicide in LA is gang related. The rate is 4.82 per 100k, higher than the national average. This means that 2.8 per 100k is not gang related - more than 4.5 times any other developed country, which is including those counties gang related homicide rates.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violen … s_by_state
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gang

Last edited by Jaekus (2013-01-20 16:29:22)

13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6513

ATG's from LA. so is KENNINGS. coincidence?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard