Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5364|London, England
Peter Ahearn, a former FBI agent, made the same point in an interview with the Associated Press. "There's nothing you can do to predict that type of crime," he said. "There's no way you can prevent it."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ … story.html
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5184|Sydney
The only way you would have a remote chance would be to psych assess the entire population on an ongoing basis
HITNRUNXX
+220|6716|Oklahoma City
Jaekus made a good point. I mixed my presentation up and didn't break it out. He said "the way you presented it" and he was right.

But yes, my initial point was/is still the same... Murders do happen. And just because guns are outlawed doesn't stop them. Murder rates in general PER CAPITA is higher in other countries, even ones without guns.

I do understand that looking at a series of murders or a time lapsed loon does not have the same ****IMPACT!!!!**** as an isolated loon that does a lot at one time. But that should not be discounted. Just because loon A kills 12 people over 3 years and loon B kills 12 people all at once, the acts of violence and the results are the same. 12 people were killed.
Jaekus
+957|5184|Sydney

HITNRUNXX wrote:

I do understand that looking at a series of murders or a time lapsed loon does not have the same ****IMPACT!!!!**** as an isolated loon that does a lot at one time. But that should not be discounted. Just because loon A kills 12 people over 3 years and loon B kills 12 people all at once, the acts of violence and the results are the same. 12 people were killed.
I would argue (in my non-qualified opinion) that loon A is more of a psychopath according to the (limited) knowledge I have on the subject. One of my now ex-colleagues was reading a book about serial killers whilst she was completing her thesis. She told me that psychopaths of this nature tend to have the urge to kill every so often, and once they satisfy the urge they may be fine for months or years before the urge to kill returns. The other to me sounds more like going out in a "blaze of glory" so to speak, as their chances of escaping or even survival are dramatically reduced to about 0, so I think they may have a bit more of a justified reason to their line of thinking. But I'm just speculating here.
13rin
+977|6485

Jaekus wrote:

The only way you would have a remote chance would be to psych assess the entire population on an ongoing basis
http://rt.com/usa/news/nsa-whistleblowe … drake-978/

I dunno about ongoing psych assessment, but apparently "they*re" watching.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6716|Oklahoma City
I could agree with that assessment, Jaekus. However, my point was still that you can't take a few mass murders from one country and base all your opinions on that. We seem to have one of these about every 3 years. That is a lot. Way too much. But we also have, as stated above, 311Million people. I would expect ours to happen more commonly than, say, Australia's 22ish Million. (Sorry if I am misremembering the population there, not where I can go look right now).

Once you get more of a global view, you can see there is a lot of violence that gun laws didn't prevent. *break*

There are places where killings are common. *break*

There are a number of places where guns were used, but a lot of places where they were not. *break*

There are places where guns were banned/restricted, but guns were still used. *break*

There are places where other illegal weapons are used, and being illegal did not help. McVeigh was mentioned earlier... Dude turned fertilizer into a bomb. Anyone can build a bomb out of general household goods. Loony, psycho, desperate, extremist, political, religious, whatever.... There will be murders, and there will be a lot more of them. Gun laws or no. At least with the guns, people have a sporting chance of defending themselves.

Also, something that doesn't make the news: Cases where someone stopped this violence. Sure, some pop up on occasion, usually if there is video, or controversy, or to make someone into a hero, but there are a number that just go away. Do you think every time a man tries to rape a woman, and she shoots him it makes national news? Or every time a robber is shot in a home? No... These are not sensational enough. It doesn't mean they don't happen though.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6716|Oklahoma City
But HITNRUNXX, those are usually handguns, or shotguns... Not assault rifles.

Good point, HITNRUNXX.

Wait, which side am I on again?
Jaekus
+957|5184|Sydney

HITNRUNXX wrote:

I could agree with that assessment, Jaekus. However, my point was still that you can't take a few mass murders from one country and base all your opinions on that. We seem to have one of these about every 3 years. That is a lot. Way too much. But we also have, as stated above, 311Million people. I would expect ours to happen more commonly than, say, Australia's 22ish Million. (Sorry if I am misremembering the population there, not where I can go look right now).

Once you get more of a global view, you can see there is a lot of violence that gun laws didn't prevent. *break*

There are places where killings are common. *break*

There are a number of places where guns were used, but a lot of places where they were not. *break*

There are places where guns were banned/restricted, but guns were still used. *break*

There are places where other illegal weapons are used, and being illegal did not help. McVeigh was mentioned earlier... Dude turned fertilizer into a bomb. Anyone can build a bomb out of general household goods. Loony, psycho, desperate, extremist, political, religious, whatever.... There will be murders, and there will be a lot more of them. Gun laws or no. At least with the guns, people have a sporting chance of defending themselves.

Also, something that doesn't make the news: Cases where someone stopped this violence. Sure, some pop up on occasion, usually if there is video, or controversy, or to make someone into a hero, but there are a number that just go away. Do you think every time a man tries to rape a woman, and she shoots him it makes national news? Or every time a robber is shot in a home? No... These are not sensational enough. It doesn't mean they don't happen though.
My earlier criticism was really just about the way you presented this in a particular paragraph. Semantics? Perhaps, though the implication was enough for me to raise it. However I do agree with pretty much everything you say here.
Jaekus
+957|5184|Sydney

13rin wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

http://rt.com/usa/news/nsa-whistleblowe … drake-978/

I dunno about ongoing psych assessment, but apparently "they*re" watching.
Unfortunately I can't say I'm very surprised.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6716|Oklahoma City

Jaekus wrote:

My earlier criticism was really just about the way you presented this in a particular paragraph. Semantics? Perhaps, though the implication was enough for me to raise it. However I do agree with pretty much everything you say here.
No, you made a good point. As much as we debate for fun here, it is a serious topic, and the way it was thrown together was misleading/confusing.
rdx-fx
+955|6597

Jaekus wrote:

Yeah, and you really don't want to do that, otherwise you'd likely find the 'inmates are running the asylum', so to speak.

Here, just for fun, is the Hare Psychopathy Checklist

Factor 1:
  • Personality "Aggressive narcissism"
  • Glibness/superficial charm
  • Grandiose sense of self-worth
  • Pathological lying
  • Cunning/manipulative
  • Lack of remorse or guilt
  • Shallow affect (genuine emotion is short-lived and egocentric)
  • Callousness; lack of empathy
  • Failure to accept responsibility for own actions
Factor 2:
  • Case history "Socially deviant lifestyle".
  • Need for stimulation/proneness to boredom
  • Parasitic lifestyle
  • Poor behavioral control
  • Lack of realistic long-term goals
  • Impulsivity
  • Irresponsibility
  • Juvenile delinquency
  • Early behavior problems
  • Revocation of conditional release
Other
  • Promiscuous sexual behavior
  • Many short-term marital relationships
  • Criminal versatility
  • Acquired behavioural sociopathy/sociological conditioning

I wonder how many D.C. professional politicians fit enough criteria below to meet the definition of Psychopath.
Hell, all of factor one seems to be a checklist for requirements to be a Congressman or President.
Factor Two and Other seems to be a checklist to be a Kennedy or Clinton.

(I'm half joking here.)

Last edited by rdx-fx (2012-07-25 09:35:00)

RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6721|US

Jaekus wrote:

If you wanted to make a point on the other side of the logic in the argument, Japan has pretty loose gun laws and some of the lowest instances of gun crime in the world.
Dude, you need to use the /sarcasm sometimes.  I almost bit off on that one.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6723|Riva, MD
Well, the D.C. courts stopped the Maryland court's stay on their own ruling of Maryland's "May Issue" stance to be unconstitutional, so it ends on the 8th if another temporary stay isn't put in place, and then after that Maryland will officially become "Shall Issue" just like everybody else around us
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6778|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

'low power bunny rifle'

Jay wrote:

Ask any hunter and they will tell you that the only real use for a rifle firing a round of that size is to hunt small game like rabbits or the occasional coyote.

The FUCK do you need an AR-15 for a rabbit for? .17 or .22 would serve nicely.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
It IS a .22.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6778|PNW

.22LR

e: (to clarify) is NOT a .223 or 5.56
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Why does it matter? It's a gun largely just like any other.
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6778|PNW

So it is. It'll do the job alright, but seems a bit overkill for a rabbit. Killing power with the lowest possible tissue damage wins, imo.

And #&$@ picking shot out of a carcass.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6780|Noizyland

My dad shot a rabbit with a M89SR once. It went everywhere.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6723|Riva, MD

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

So it is. It'll do the job alright, but seems a bit overkill for a rabbit. Killing power with the lowest possible tissue damage wins, imo.

And #&$@ picking shot out of a carcass.
I don't think .22LR is really excessively large for a rabbit, it seems like the perfect cartridge for it really, Carlos Hathcock used to shoot rabbits with a .22 to have them for dinner when he was a kid.  As a noob I would've suggested .17 HMR thinking that a smaller bullet would be less overkill but according to Wiki, it's actually more powerful than a .22LR and too powerful for small game at close ranges, and noisier than a .22 as well, although it's also more accurate, has a longer range with less trajectory and is less susceptible to wind because of better ballistics.  That's just what Wikipedia says though

It really doesn't look all that much smaller either:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5f/17HMR_and_22LR_B.jpg

It's obviously a little thinner but it looks like it has a relative shitload more powder behind it too

Last edited by _j5689_ (2012-07-25 22:13:37)

Reciprocity
+721|6587|the dank(super) side of Oregon

Ty wrote:

Also for someone not to bat an eyelid at a civilian buying 6000 rounds of pistol and .223 calibre ammunition and combat gear just reflects how messed up the attitudes toward firearms are in the US and how incidents like this one will keep being too frequent.
Unless the guy was carrying those 6000 rounds in magazines all at once why does the number of cartridges matter?  I've got thousands and thousands of centerfire rounds out in the garage and maybe tens of thousands of rimfire cartridges.  And they're not there because I'm a paranoid conspiracy nut or I like to dump 30 round magazines.  I've got a "stockpile" of ammunition because I'm a cheap bastard.  I'm happy to save 10 cents or 50 cents per trigger pull.  It very quickly adds up when shooting is your hobby.  And I'm not even a reloading nerd.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6159|what

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Inventing new and more unpleasant ways to execute people - see above.
I actually don't agree with that. As long as the state is allowed to kill people, it should be as sterile and efficient as possible, and making things too gruesome would simply drive suspects into fighting the cops with even more ferocity and desperation.

Dilbert_X wrote:

'low power bunny rifle'

AussieReaper wrote:

Concealed carry should be illegal in all states, unless you're a police officer or law enforcement official.
People already ignore off-limits areas to concealed weapons unless there's metal detectors. I don't know about you, but I don't want to walk through an x-ray just to go see Batman or buy a Twinkie. Heavy-handed legislation against weapons like that could turn the entire country into something like a TSA fortress.
That's fair enough and I'm certainly not advocating a police state or TSA fortress. lol

But I do think concealed carry is a joke and you should be required to have your gun plainly on your person around the waist.

If you want the right to a gun I want the right to know you're carrying. Let it be for businesses / etc to admit you based on that fact.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6112|eXtreme to the maX

rdx-fx wrote:

So, for argument sake,
if firearms ownership were restricted to people that had at least 6 years of military or 12 years of law enforcement experience
That doesn't mean a thing, in terms of character or anything else, especially not for Police.
Maybe firearms should be restricted to professionals - people with a degree, chartered etc. Violent crime being mostly a plebian activity.
My point is, where do you draw the line between reasonable restrictions, and hysterical paranoia?
Thats the question.

Anyone with a postal address who hasn't had time to gather a criminal or mental health record being allowed to buy assault weapons, 100rnd mags, body armour and unlimited ammo with no checks or balances is the wrong side of the line IMO.

(My understanding of the definition has always been that assault rifles are designed to kill people dead in the shortest possible time - that being what you need when you're assaulting a position. Combat rifles - then the question of whether its better to kill or just incapacitate and wound comes into play.)
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6778|PNW

AussieReaper wrote:

But I do think concealed carry is a joke and you should be required to have your gun plainly on your person around the waist.
That would be a hard sell in the states. A lot of people are intimidated by open carry, and are happier if they don't know. Plus having it in the open marks you as a pretty juicy target...

_j5689_ wrote:

I don't think .22LR is really excessively large for a rabbit, it seems like the perfect cartridge for it really.
I agree. I meant overkill by way of the .223 and 5.56.

_j5689_ wrote:

As a noob I would've suggested .17 HMR thinking that a smaller bullet would be less overkill but according to Wiki, it's actually more powerful than a .22LR and too powerful for small game at close ranges, and noisier than a .22 as well, although it's also more accurate, has a longer range with less trajectory and is less susceptible to wind because of better ballistics.
Also .17's more expensive, last I checked.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6721|US

Dilbert_X wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

So, for argument sake,
if firearms ownership were restricted to people that had at least 6 years of military or 12 years of law enforcement experience
That doesn't mean a thing, in terms of character or anything else, especially not for Police.
Maybe firearms should be restricted to professionals - people with a degree, chartered etc. Violent crime being mostly a plebian activity.
A truly enlightened position.

Dilbert_X wrote:

(My understanding of the definition has always been that assault rifles are designed to kill people dead in the shortest possible time - that being what you need when you're assaulting a position. Combat rifles - then the question of whether its better to kill or just incapacitate and wound comes into play.)
Via Wikipedia (sorry, not the greatest source ever, but it works here.)
The translation assault rifle gradually became the common term for similar firearms sharing the same technical definition as the StG 44. In a strict definition, a firearm must have at least the following characteristics to be considered an assault rifle:[4][5][6]
It must be an individual weapon with provision to fire from the shoulder (i.e. a buttstock);
It must be capable of selective fire;
It must have an intermediate-power cartridge: more power than a pistol but less than a standard rifle or battle rifle;
Its ammunition must be supplied from a detachable magazine rather than a feed-belt.
And it should at least have a firing range of 300 meters (1000 feet)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard