Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6659

mtb0minime wrote:

It's amazing seeing job postings now compared to 6, 12, 18 months ago. I jump straight to the pay offer and think "sweet, this is entry level pay!" Then I go back and read the requirements and it's all Master's required, Professional license required. Silly HR people, you're never gonna fill that position with those people at that price.
It's an H1 Visa job.   Common practice these days.  Post some ridiculous requirements at low pay so that no one local will even try for it.  Plenty of overseas Master degree holders with "paper" certificates who will take low paying jobs.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6623|949

they changed H1 visa requirements a while ago.  You can't simply list a professional job for cheap and expect to fill it with overseas help.  You can't low ball pay - at least not the way I understand H1 visas.  You have to offer prevailing wages.  I would question any employer listing job opportunities on Monster or other job search engines/aggregators they expect to fill with H1 applicants.

Is that really common practice or are you just saying that because that's what you think?
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6659

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

they changed H1 visa requirements a while ago.  You can't simply list a professional job for cheap and expect to fill it with overseas help.  You can't low ball pay - at least not the way I understand H1 visas.  You have to offer prevailing wages.  I would question any employer listing job opportunities on Monster or other job search engines/aggregators they expect to fill with H1 applicants.

Is that really common practice or are you just saying that because that's what you think?
75% Indian contigent in Corporate IT.  Most got their foot in via consulting firms.  Initially, low pay relative to locals.  But as some moved from consultant to permanent, prevailing wages.  Problem is that prevailing wages are far from pre H1 days.  In perspective, some 15+ years ago, I was making more money then than they are making now.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6623|949

the H1 visa requirements changed markedly after 9/11.  That's one reason it's not the same as 15 years ago.  There's also global market dynamics that have a huge impact on wages.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

Macbeth wrote:

I sent an application to Conrail and got a response back. On the 6th of June there is a testing and screening event  that I qualified for. I checked online and saw that I may get drug tested during this event. I cannot pass a drug test right now.
Event is today. Still would not pass a drug test.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708

Jaekus wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Comparing tax free (under the table) to a regular job (over the table) doesn't make sense

Kids here working at McDonalds start at minimum wage (in _J5689's state, it is $7.50/hour)
The point is that with a regular job he would get a bit more per hour, but pay tax. But his employer would also contribute 9% of his wage into his superannuation.
silly jaekus, americans dont have super
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6766|Noizyland

I'm bored and I want to go home! Fucking technical problems all day has meant I missed out on my lunch break and probably have to stay an extra half hour to finish all my work anyway. Fuck everyone and everything!
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5170|Sydney

Cybargs wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Comparing tax free (under the table) to a regular job (over the table) doesn't make sense

Kids here working at McDonalds start at minimum wage (in _J5689's state, it is $7.50/hour)
The point is that with a regular job he would get a bit more per hour, but pay tax. But his employer would also contribute 9% of his wage into his superannuation.
silly jaekus, americans dont have super
True
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6465|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Ilocano wrote:

Corporate office moving.

Pros:
Great new location
Awesome views of the Pasadena hills.
Walking distance to restaurants and upscale shopping
Huge multi-level parking lot
Nice outside eating area
Big break room on each floor
$800+ ergonomic chairs

Con:
Open office floor plans.
Management, even all the way up to executive level, lose private offices and just get desks.
Watcha doing?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX

Macbeth wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

I sent an application to Conrail and got a response back. On the 6th of June there is a testing and screening event  that I qualified for. I checked online and saw that I may get drug tested during this event. I cannot pass a drug test right now.
Event is today. Still would not pass a drug test.
Derp
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4834|Amsterdam
I like my long breaks on these long days, but they have one major downside.
Once you're sitting at home on break, having lunch, you don;t wnat to go back when it's over.
Ultrafunkula

Well fuck. Got a call that the interview is tomorrow morning. Bigger fuck is that it won't be about the SD Team Leader position I was applying for, but they decided to interview me instead about a position in the Service Desk. I couldn't care less about that right now... Oh well. If I won't get anything else, I'm taking it until I find something else. If I'm even able to seem a bit interested in the job tomorrow during the phonecall, since my motivation just went out the window. Fuck.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6701|Oklahoma City

_j5689_ wrote:

Well, working my way up is the idea since I can't do college anymore.  You make it sound like that repair job sucks really bad though, obviously it's not my ideal IT job which would consist of running around troubleshooting and fixing/upgrading things like I did at my school as an intern but I still get to work with computers at least.
Me? No, I didn't say anything at all about it being a negative job... But if it is there or for another company, I think you should be looking up the ladder and down the road. $20K a year that depends on commission isn't a career... But it is a great start of a career.

I only say start at the bottom like a normal person because every applicant we get expects to start out in a 3 level position making $75K a year straight out of high school.

If I didn't love my old tech jobs I wouldn't have 1) Done it as volunteer work or 2) Stayed in the field.

Last edited by HITNRUNXX (2012-06-06 12:43:01)

_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6708|Riva, MD
I'm not expecting a career at this point, I just wanna do something that pays above minimum wage, is some kind of IT work, and doesn't feel like a giant commitment.  And also gives me some resume points for my more ideal career

Last edited by _j5689_ (2012-06-07 09:51:23)

Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4960|Dundee, Scotland.
Urghhh, been applying for anything I can recently. Which isn't a lot in Dundee.
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX
Seems I'm making widgets for these guys now
http://www.iwatchnews.org/2011/03/27/37 … ect-bombed

Should have jacked the price up a lot more, dammit.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4834|Amsterdam

Camm wrote:

Spoiler (highlight to read):
supermarket

Last edited by Kampframmer (2012-06-09 01:09:33)

Ultrafunkula

Kampframmer wrote:

Camm wrote:

Spoiler (highlight to read):
supermarket
He'd sneak in and raid them
Jasp
Bongabilla
+171|6654|The Outer Circle
I moved jobs 4 months ago and I'm starting to think I made a bad choice, I left engineering because the industry was falling on its arse. Now that it picked up I decided to go back into it.

Camm wrote:

Have you got a driving licence?
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/11882/holteendersig2.jpghttps://forums.bf2s.com/img/avatars/11508.gif
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6492|so randum
just finished all the paperwork \o/

now actually employed
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Toilet Sex
one love, one pig
+1,775|6563

sweet bro
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6614|Little Bentcock
\o/
iceman785
+93|6664|Alaska, mother fucker.
Taking classes with Shell for this job... I hate getting up this early.
Eifa
Never regret anything that ever made you smile.
+923|5863|00770
just got fired yesterday. fml
No, I don't need an attitude adjustment. You just need to fuck off.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6729|Oxferd Ohire
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard