Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6691|Tampa Bay Florida

FEOS wrote:

"If four Americans get killed, it's not optimal"

That's not at all "disconnected," is it?

You're buying into the spin. .
Funny, coming from the guy who obviously watched Fox's 24/7 coverage of Obama's daily show interview.

I'm honestly at a loss for words as to how you can call that comment "disconnected", or "disrespectful" by any stretch of imagination.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6776|Noizyland

FEOS wrote:

You're buying into the spin. Romney is no more or less disconnected from the public at large than any other candidate for any national office. One could easily argue that the President, after four years of living in a bubble surrounded by sycophants, is the most "disconnected" of any person in the country.
Jon Stewart asked the question, suggesting that the white house response "wasn't optimal'. In Obama's reply he made the point that "If four Americans get killed, it's not optimal". Have you ever had press training? One of the first things they teach you is to use the same language as the interviewer in order to make your points clear.

The politicising of the Libya Embassy attack has been embarrassing to watch. First Romney was all caught up about how Obama didn't refer to the attack as terrorism. Whether this is true or not, (and apparently it wasn't,) who gives a fuck? Now it's that Obama didn't quite use the right word in saying that the deaths of four Americans was a bad thing on a comedy show. You know what would be a good thing to discuss? The $300m or so earmarked to be cut from embassy defence. Maybe that's something that will have an impact on whether this sort of thing will happen again.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

Ty wrote:

You know what would be a good thing to discuss? The $300m or so earmarked to be cut from embassy defence. Maybe that's something that will have an impact on whether this sort of thing will happen again.
why no, because that would be republicants in congress. we won't mention that. at all.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Spearhead wrote:

FEOS wrote:

You're buying into the spin. .
Funny, coming from the guy who obviously watched Fox's 24/7 coverage of Obama's daily show interview.

I'm honestly at a loss for words as to how you can call that comment "disconnected", or "disrespectful" by any stretch of imagination.
I don't watch Fox. I've said that repeatedly.

I was making a point about how anyone with the spotlight on them can say something that can be construed as disconnected or unfeeling or whatever.

Ty wrote:

Jon Stewart asked the question, suggesting that the white house response "wasn't optimal'. In Obama's reply he made the point that "If four Americans get killed, it's not optimal". Have you ever had press training? One of the first things they teach you is to use the same language as the interviewer in order to make your points clear.
Oh. So you're saying that, in the context of the entire statement, it's not at all disrespectful or disconnected?

Interesting.

And yes, I've had press training. When you're talking about people's deaths--even if the interviewer used a poor choice of words--you don't in any way make light of it.

I understood exactly what he was getting at--he just said it poorly. Kind of like some other people who get no slack for the same thing...
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
FEOS
+1,182|6412|'Murka

13urnzz wrote:

Ty wrote:

You know what would be a good thing to discuss? The $300m or so earmarked to be cut from embassy defence. Maybe that's something that will have an impact on whether this sort of thing will happen again.
why no, because that would be republicants in congress. we won't mention that. at all.
How do you know it's due to one party? Last time I checked, one party controlled the House, the other the Senate. Both have to agree for appropriations to be put into law and sent to the POTUS for signature.

But it's just the 1/2 of 1/3 of the government that's entirely at fault for all the ills--past, present, and future--in our nation.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6776|Noizyland

FEOS wrote:

Ty wrote:

Oh. So you're saying that, in the context of the entire statement, it's not at all disrespectful or disconnected?

Interesting.

And yes, I've had press training. When you're talking about people's deaths--even if the interviewer used a poor choice of words--you don't in any way make light of it.

I understood exactly what he was getting at--he just said it poorly. Kind of like some other people who get no slack for the same thing...
Okay point made, but you could have picked a better example.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

FEOS wrote:

13urnzz wrote:

Ty wrote:

How do you know it's due to one party? Last time I checked, one party controlled the House, the other the Senate. Both have to agree for appropriations to be put into law and sent to the POTUS for signature.

But it's just the 1/2 of 1/3 of the government that's entirely at fault for all the ills--past, present, and future--in our nation.
there is enough blame to go around and spread to everyone.  I think we agree it's politicians causing problems, not parties, not branches.  The problem is that they politicians (used very very loosely to encompass even the judicial branch) are so entrenched in a very very fucked up reward system that it rubs off on me as just so phony and removed from practical application and any sense of sanity (honestly somewhere the judicial branch historically and generally has been rational and even-tempered) that it is very hard to take any branch seriously.  It's cliche but it's such a piss poor field of candidates every year that I have to wonder whether the political process is leaving something to be desired.
13rin
+977|6480
Voted!
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Yeah, not buying. If NYC was set as the highest (and it is by a massive margin), I'm not about to accept that many of those cities fall into the ridiculous requirements for middle class status offered here.
Ok. 40% of my paycheck goes towards social security, medicare, income taxes. I pay federal income tax, state income tax, and city income tax. On top of that I pay 8.875% in sales tax every time I buy something. I pay property taxes via my rent. So let's say I make a combined income with my wife of exactly $200k a year, 80k of that goes out automatically towards direct taxation. That leaves me with $120k. If I bought a house tomorrow my mortgage payment would be $3000/mo or $36,000 a year. Now I'm down to $84k. I pay $200/mo for cell phone service, $200/mo for cable/internet, $200/mo for utilities, $400/mo for the car payment, $200/mo for insurance, $400/mo for my train ticket, $500/mo for food. So there's another $25,200, now I'm down to $58.8k. Add in clothes, the cost of kids, a decent vacation, medical bills etc and that remainder goes quickly. You're not struggling when you're making $200k a year, but you're not rich by any stretch of the imagination.

FYI, that $3k mortgage payment is on a modest $500k home here. You're looking at a middling school district and maybe a 'ranch' home with three bedrooms.
But those deductions hardly mirror what it is to be middle class.  Remove mortgage, replace with rent. Remove car payment, replace with incedentals. Etc etc. You're living a better than average life. Average being middle class.
It must be a struggle 'only' having more money in the bank at the end of the year than the median family grosses, especially after paying for necessities like a new car and $2400 each on cable TV and cellphones.
I'd say that falls well outside 'middle class', although its been so messed with thats almost a meaningless concept now.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6001|...
What I'll say on this subject is that from a foreign policy perspective, Obama is an infinitely better choice than Romney. Romney has appeared to be completely ignorant on a variety of subjects here and appears to prefer direct confrontation to diplomacy... which is a policy that has been forwarded by the republican party since the cold war. Change the fucking tune, in recent years this policy has had little to no positive effect on both your international reputation and stated goals.
inane little opines
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4197|Oklahoma
The problem with American politics is that every issue ends up getting dismantled into a discussion of semantics like this thread has.  One party will say they will give a tax cut to the rich and the other says that is bad, so instead of having a conversation over why that is bad we instead get 10 pages of people arguing over "what constitutes rich as opposed to middle class".  Alas, the issue goes largely unresolved and no one has learned anything new other than the fact they really can't stand the other guy.

Such is American politics.

To be clear however, the republicans have it right, they just have a retarded way of conveying it and use monkeys to dispense their ideology.  If they ever find a person to properly convey their message in a concise manner, they are unstoppable (i.e. Nixon, i.e. Reagan).  The democratic parties core values are very flaky.  They sound good in speeches and on paper but tend to not work so well in practice (i.e. Social Security, i.e. Welfare programs)

As big of a turd as Romney is, he has my vote.  The alternative is an even bigger turd with a giant putrid peanut in it.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

No, the problem with American politics is that it's 6-12 months of public relations up to the election, and delivering to your lobbyists, donators and special interests for the duration of your appointment.
FEOS
+1,182|6412|'Murka

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

FEOS wrote:

13urnzz wrote:

there is enough blame to go around and spread to everyone.  I think we agree it's politicians causing problems, not parties, not branches.  The problem is that they politicians (used very very loosely to encompass even the judicial branch) are so entrenched in a very very fucked up reward system that it rubs off on me as just so phony and removed from practical application and any sense of sanity (honestly somewhere the judicial branch historically and generally has been rational and even-tempered) that it is very hard to take any branch seriously.  It's cliche but it's such a piss poor field of candidates every year that I have to wonder whether the political process is leaving something to be desired.
No argument here. I think that's spot on.
― Albert Einstein

Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5544|Toronto

Extra Medium wrote:

The problem with American politics is that every issue ends up getting dismantled into a discussion of semantics like this thread has.  One party will say they will give a tax cut to the rich and the other says that is bad, so instead of having a conversation over why that is bad we instead get 10 pages of people arguing over "what constitutes rich as opposed to middle class".  Alas, the issue goes largely unresolved and no one has learned anything new other than the fact they really can't stand the other guy.

To be clear however, the republicans have it right, they just have a retarded way of conveying it and use monkeys to dispense their ideology.  If they ever find a person to properly convey their message in a concise manner, they are unstoppable (i.e. Nixon, i.e. Reagan).  The democratic parties core values are very flaky.  They sound good in speeches and on paper but tend to not work so well in practice (i.e. Social Security, i.e. Welfare programs)

As big of a turd as Romney is, he has my vote.  The alternative is an even bigger turd with a giant putrid peanut in it.
Semantics are extraordinarily important in absolutely everything. You even hint at this yourself by stating that "the republicans have it right, they just have a retarded way of conveying it". How in gods name is that not an issue of semantics? Do you mean they should turn to visual arts to convey messages? Your lack of internal coherence really makes it hard to understand how semantics doesn't form the bulk (not entirety) of meaning formation. Don't go crazy on me and start preaching that the 'medium is the message' next. Please.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4197|Oklahoma

Pochsy wrote:

Extra Medium wrote:

Semantics are extraordinarily important in absolutely everything. You even hint at this yourself by stating that "the republicans have it right, they just have a retarded way of conveying it". How in gods name is that not an issue of semantics? Do you mean they should turn to visual arts to convey messages? Your lack of internal coherence really makes it hard to understand how semantics doesn't form the bulk (not entirety) of meaning formation. Don't go crazy on me and start preaching that the 'medium is the message' next. Please.
OK.  So basically when politicians argue about lets say.......healthcare reform.  Do you think it's more important for them to debate what the average middle income family in Essex county Vermont pays on healthcare in a year or do you think that the debate would be better suited addressing the issue of how it will benefit or hinder the nation as a whole or how we will or will not pay for it, or if a majority of Americans even actually want it?  Semantics should be debated and argued at the local level where small facts and figures are relevant and states should make their own decisions.  The role of executive level of government should be to bring the major issues to the forefront that the local governments then debate semantics over and or decide if the decisions of the states are constitutional and or don't try to supersede or contradict federal laws.

When Mitt Romney and Barack Obama have a week long argument over the tax increases and burdens of middle income homes and nothing but middle income homes they are completely alienating Upper and Lower income people. Probably not the best example but you get my gist. 

I think your aggressive tone was more geared to the fact I said I believe in a conservative ideology rather than the issue of semantics.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6691|Tampa Bay Florida
No I don't watch or even particularly like Rachel Maddow.  I recognize and acknowledge the hyperbole from both sides, but the Romney campaign is just outright schizo. 

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

He's a well oiled weather vein.

He's an etch a sketch.

He's multiple choice Romney.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX

AussieReaper wrote:

He's a well oiled weather vein.

He's an etch a sketch.

He's multiple choice Romney.
Again, he changes everything but his underwear.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

it's amazing to me, that the republican nominee for president isn't up by 10 points with the election 3 days out. oh yeah, the rominee is Rmoney. with all the hate and vitriol the right has for obama, you would have thought they could have fielded a better candidate. hell, looking at their primary this year, it's as if the republicants trotted out the slowest, weakest, the ones that lost in a game of tag.

and it's still a toss up election. amazing.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

Romney is going to win.
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6734|St. Andrews / Oslo

Is it actually a toss-up though, or is that just how the media like to spin it to boost their ratings?

It seems to me that Obama has a clear upper-hand, because of your electoral college system..

Nate Silver gives Obama an 80% chance of victory: http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.co … -in-polls/

...and the bookmaker's odds are similar. If you actually think it's a 50/50 game, than a bet on Romney would be the bet of the year.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

Silver has the better track record, and the process favors obama (the incumbent). but from what i'm seeing, rmoney has a chance despite himself.

if he had staked out positions and defended them, it's my opinion he would have been up by 15points right now. his waffling caused concern for the far right in the primaries, and the middle in the general election. he can't run on or defend his signature legislation, because the president hijacked it whole cloth and made it his signature legislation.

anyone who thinks rmoney isn't spineless is lying to themselves. anyone who thinks obama has really changed bush era policy is lying to themselves.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6683|Disaster Free Zone
I'd be voting third party, you have incompetence v crazy as it stands.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS
sam wang's model - which is much simpler, but hence much more transparent - is extremely bullish on obama. 94% last i checked.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard