-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6711|BC, Canada
Fucking commie.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5410|London, England

PrivateVendetta wrote:

The point is, you started poor, you had govt help, now you are not poor.
I wouldn't be poor regardless you dumb fuck. I could've taken out student loans, lived on nothing but, and walked away with about $40k in debt.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I feel a lot safer knowing they let such stupid people fly planes. Christ.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Toilet Sex
one love, one pig
+1,775|6624

he's getting angry now
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6515|cuntshitlake

My point is that this reminded me of the discussion we had here. Way to be a complete hypocrite?
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5637

An angry leech.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6791|Toronto | Canada

i like our system, even though schools in my province cost the most out of any   oh well, i guess its better to pay a little more and go to one of the top schools in the world...
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Macbeth wrote:

An angry leech.
If you had succeeded in killing yourself, how many people do you think would've shown up to your funeral besides your parents? 2? 3 people?
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

DUnlimited wrote:

My point is that this reminded me of the discussion we had here. Way to be a complete hypocrite?
Because I performed a service in order to have my tuition paid for? How is that equivalent?
-Frederick Bastiat
Toilet Sex
one love, one pig
+1,775|6624

Jay wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

An angry leech.
If you had succeeded in killing yourself, how many people do you think would've shown up to your funeral besides your parents? 2? 3 people?
lol, so sad
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6515|cuntshitlake

Doesn't really impress me, every male in Finland "performs a  service" of at least 6 months and get paid what, 4.2 euros a day.

Last edited by DUnlimited (2012-04-01 11:37:14)

main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,974|6684|949

Jay wrote:

Again, I'm just pointing out that college tuition in America is not nearly as awful as people would have you believe.
Mine was around $20k a year at least. At a state school. In my same state. I didn't go to some shitty maratime college though. Once again talking generalities that are way off
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

DUnlimited wrote:

Doesn't really impress me, every male in Finland "performs a  service" of at least 6 months and get paid what, 4.2 euros a day.
Well, you can justify it as a fair trade. You get drafted, you get free education. Those of your countrymen that find ways to avoid service should have to pay their way.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay wrote:

Again, I'm just pointing out that college tuition in America is not nearly as awful as people would have you believe.
Mine was around $20k a year at least. At a state school. In my same state. I didn't go to some shitty maratime college though. Once again talking generalities that are way off
How was it so much? When we graduated high school UC schools cost $1500 a year for residents.
-Frederick Bastiat
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4894|Amsterdam
A year of uni can cost you anywhere between 1000-2000 euros. Most of the time its roughly 1200, but theres more expensive studies.
You get that refunded if you quit before a certain period (end of february iirc) and i think you might even get a part refunded if you quit at the end of the year (not enough points or dont want to proceed etc etc).
You also get 90 euros a month as student financing. You can a lot of extra on top of that. you get 250 a/mo if you dont live with your parents, you can get (i think) 100 extra if youre parents/guardians have a very low income and you can apply for student t public transport, giving you free transport in the weekends or workdays. problem with the student PT-card is that if you quit your study you have to pay all of it back (~80 a/mo i think). You also get 60 a month to pay for insurance (although this will always cost more than that)

I can't complain about our system, although many people abuse the one where you get extras for not living with your parents. I know several people that get the 250 simply by filling in a different address.
For example: Mate of mine 'lived' at his mums workplace. She payed less taxes when it was registered as a residence and he could 'live' there and get the 250. Win-win for them. Big loss for the govt.

With loose ends like that i cant blame them for cutting school funds. Sad fucking leeches.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5753|College Park, MD

Jay wrote:

Was this before or after you got laid?
during
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay wrote:

How was it so much? When we graduated high school UC schools cost $1500 a year for residents.
Maryland's about 8K in-state a year if you commute.

Last edited by Hurricane2k9 (2012-04-01 11:50:14)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Jay wrote:

Was this before or after you got laid?
during
She was a dead fish eh?
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Maryland's about 8K a year if you commute.
I just specifically remember UC schools being $1500/yr because I weighed the idea of moving out there to establish residency for a year and then going to college.
-Frederick Bastiat
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
Woulda been a good deal lol.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5595|Toronto

Winston_Churchill wrote:

i like our system, even though schools in my province cost the most out of any   oh well, i guess its better to pay a little more and go to one of the top schools in the world...
Compared to the other schools in the top 20 that we compete with, our tuition is dirt cheap. Maybe Oxford and Cambridge compete for domestic students, but upon looking into graduate programs there I can confidently say that they are much more expensive for international students.

Last edited by Pochsy (2012-04-01 12:02:54)

The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6705
EEChats doesn't seem to be the place to argue the pros and cons of the higher education system...

That said, as pretty much a continual student since 2002, I don't know if there has been a single year since then where my tuition hasn't been raised by over 5% (at state schools).

All the while, services are diminished, university layoffs occur, but enrollment keeps increasing year after year. It doesn't seem add up.

You can look at your state blue book to see where a lot of the money is going - by and large it is administration costs, and also sports teams, and infrastructure improvement (some of which is quite necessary, and some of which is purely for 'wow' factor to get prospective students' attention/enrollment).

It certainly doesn't mean LaShonda and Robert at the registrars front office are getting raises, or additional help doing their job...it means that Dean So-and-so will get to keep making $200k+ for signing off on the work everyone below him does, while having very little influence on their day to day activities.

I say this as someone who has both worked for the university while also a student, and whose mother worked for the system for over 30 years. It will eventually reach a tipping point, and I'd say we are getting close. My mother just took early retirement rather than deal with this fucked arrangement any longer...she basically said it was killing her soul to see the process continue year after year.

Last edited by -CARNIFEX-[LOC] (2012-04-01 12:06:47)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5595|Toronto
Our professors (in Canada) are among the highest paid in the world when accounting for PPP, and the administration doesn't do too badly either. Many students are reaching the exact boiling point you speak of with regards to the distribution of tuition fees and their continual increase. 200,000 person demonstrations in Quebec just occurred for this exact reason.

Personally, I think you have to pay top dollar to attract the top professors. As a model it's done our school very well. Do we need to pay the administration such lofty salaries? No. Any monkey can push paper.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
if i don't get a single interview offer (not even a job offer, just gimme a chance to pitch myself dammit!) for an internship this summer i'm gonna go back to being a criminology and criminal justice major

Last edited by Hurricane2k9 (2012-04-01 12:11:07)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I know my state has been cutting funding to the SUNY system because they're broke. When I started school in 2005 the incoming freshman class was around 200 kids. When I left it was 360 kids and they had turned doubles into triples and quadruples, and the basement storage areas into extra rooms. They pack the kids in like sardines and yet they didn't increase the number of professors, so the profs were all overloaded and thus offering less classes, compounding the problem. Graduating in four years became the exception rather than the rule.

Instead of jacking up tuition, they just lowered the quality of the experience

Last edited by Jay (2012-04-01 12:14:25)

-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard