Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472

specops10-4 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

specops10-4 wrote:

As long as the statements made by someone do not call for direct violence it should be tolerated.  Think about the implications of banning a 'certain' type of speech are, any politician can spin the meaning of anyone elses words to be racist and thus illegal.  Who is to judge what is 'offensive' or not, the government, the public, anyone?
did you read his tweets? he called for direct violence many times, to many people/victims. case closed then.
There have been quite a few cases in you're country where people have been jailed for simply making racist remarks, look up racist lady on tram, you're bound to find multiple videos of racist women who only stated their opinion and have been subsequently arrested.
we all know about the racist lady on a tram. cases like this go to court and end up with severe sentences because they become cases of high public interest, i.e. they go viral on the internet. you have the mobile-phone youtube generation to blame for that more than the UK law. viral videos incite public outrage and the british public demand some sign of justice being done in order to remedy the public ill. this is nothing new, i really have no idea why you're using some specious and extraordinary case to make out we have draconian/stalinist speech laws. yes, sometimes events enter the public consciousness and mob/media justice arises. what are the courts meant to do but put them through the due process of law, at the crowd's behest? sounds familiar... have you heard of trayvon martin?
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
specops10-4
+108|6744|In the hills

Uzique wrote:

specops10-4 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

did you read his tweets? he called for direct violence many times, to many people/victims. case closed then.
There have been quite a few cases in you're country where people have been jailed for simply making racist remarks, look up racist lady on tram, you're bound to find multiple videos of racist women who only stated their opinion and have been subsequently arrested.
we all know about the racist lady on a tram. cases like this go to court and end up with severe sentences because they become cases of high public interest, i.e. they go viral on the internet. you have the mobile-phone youtube generation to blame for that more than the UK law. viral videos incite public outrage and the british public demand some sign of justice being done in order to remedy the public ill. this is nothing new, i really have no idea why you're using some specious and extraordinary case to make out we have draconian/stalinist speech laws. yes, sometimes events enter the public consciousness and mob/media justice arises. what are the courts meant to do but put them through the due process of law, at the crowd's behest? sounds familiar... have you heard of trayvon martin?
In the Trayvon Martin case someone was killed.  That deserves punishment, hurting someones feelings, especially if they are adults should go unpunished in a free nation.

Who is at fault for causing public ill, the woman who says something *gasp* controversial *gasp* or the people responding to just words with possibly violent actions.  Words are not crimes, actions are, you brits should know that by now.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
there's a massive difference between 'hurting someone's feelings' and 'being racist'. no one is going to be criminally prosecuted for anything because they hurt someone else's feelings. it just doesn't happen. being racist on the other hand... yes, we have laws protecting people from racist abuse. i think this is admirable. free speech is great and all but it doesn't deserve the arbitrary golden halo you guys give it in ALL circumstances. i'm happy to live in a society where it is illegal to be a vile, hateful, threatening and potentially violent individual in public. i'd rather live in harmony and peace. fuck your right to be an ignorant bigot of the worst kind, with all due respect, mr. racist. we don't want nor deserve your idiocy.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5180|Sydney
LoL

Meanwhile, in Arizona...
specops10-4
+108|6744|In the hills

Uzique wrote:

there's a massive difference between 'hurting someone's feelings' and 'being racist'. no one is going to be criminally prosecuted for anything because they hurt someone else's feelings. it just doesn't happen. being racist on the other hand... yes, we have laws protecting people from racist abuse. i think this is admirable. free speech is great and all but it doesn't deserve the arbitrary golden halo you guys give it in ALL circumstances. i'm happy to live in a society where it is illegal to be a vile, hateful, threatening and potentially violent individual in public. i'd rather live in harmony and peace. fuck your right to be an ignorant bigot of the worst kind, with all due respect, mr. racist. we don't want nor deserve your idiocy.
Think of who determines what being "vile, hateful, threatening and potentially violent in public" is.  All that racism is, is a form of bullying/putting someone down/hurting someones feelings.  To make that illegal is like making insults illegal, you call someone stupid, you're being hateful to the uneducated people in society, you call a girl a slut, you're being vile to a girl who wishes to make her own life decisions.  You tell a 'friend' I'm gonna kill you if you steal my fruitloops then the government can say you threatened violence.  Seriously think of the repocussions of your countries decisions, don't let those in power have control over those not in power.

Last edited by specops10-4 (2012-04-15 21:34:53)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
what you need to realise is that our judges and police are rational, intelligent human beings. none of these crazy and absurd scenarios would reach court, let alone lead to a conviction. in the case of racist abuse being suffered, i'm happy there are laws to punish the vile behaviour. i'm quite confident that two people messing around calling each other names will never result in one person being taken away by the thought-police to serve 6 months.

Last edited by Uzique (2012-04-15 21:38:14)

specops10-4
+108|6744|In the hills

Uzique wrote:

what you need to realise is that our judges and police are rational, intelligent human beings. none of these crazy and absurd scenarios would reach court, let alone lead to a conviction. in the case of racist abuse being suffered, i'm happy there are laws to punish the vile behaviour. i'm quite confident that two people messing around calling each other names will never result in one person being taken away by the thought-police to serve 6 months.
Good to know that you rely on other people to keep you safe, that you place your faith in the judges and politicians, rather than your own people.  I'm sure you know of a few assholes in your country, imagine if one of them became judge and you were arrested for something rediculous.  Good luck.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
good to know you rely on the cold justice of a personal firearm to kill people when you deem yourself unsafe. 'murica.
specops10-4
+108|6744|In the hills

Uzique wrote:

good to know you rely on the cold justice of a personal firearm to kill people when you deem yourself unsafe. 'murica.
I'd prefer the rare vigilante over an overbearing government.  Zimmerman is facing a jury now anyways lol, good point bro, our government knows its own boundaries since we stand up for ourselves.  Big Brother Here you come.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX

Uzique wrote:

what you need to realise is that our judges and police are rational, intelligent human beings
Nope.

There are checks and balances which make them marginally preferable to fat and angry vigilantes.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2012-04-16 01:08:46)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
HITNRUNXX
+220|6711|Oklahoma City

Uzique wrote:

'murica.
That sounds racist and incites me to violence. Go to jail. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472

Dilbert_X wrote:

Uzique wrote:

what you need to realise is that our judges and police are rational, intelligent human beings
Nope.

There are checks and balances which make them marginally preferable to fat and angry vigilantes.
the law is a reasonable system, is what i'm saying. a judge considers a case rationally, not based on emotion or impulse. there is an appeals process. there are juries for major crimes. there are plenty of things in place at every stage of the legal process to make sure that some stupid friend-on-friend banter won't ever reach a legal case. thanks for your excellent cynical point though, mr. teen rebel.

hitnrun i can tell you're into the realms of self-parody now because it's clear my comments weren't threatening. you guys are almost losing this argument for yourself.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6711|Oklahoma City
My point is only this:

What one person finds funny, another may find offensive. What one person finds reasonable, may piss off someone else. Define which words won't incite violence, and I will show you a place where those words are taken out of context to do just that. Words mean different things to different people. Any time I pop you in the mouth I can now say your words incited the violence, and you are now to blame...

I am not saying it shouldn't be a law for your country... I am saying it is a rough thing to gauge.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
threatening behaviour is pretty well defined in our legal statutes over here. personally saying you're going to break someone's legs and then peppering in the n-word and nigger dicks a few times sounds pretty racially threatening to me. nobody here is going to jail because they insulted a few of their friends, or used a bad word. but never mind. you keep your race-hate laws and we'll keep ours. you guys are obviously doing a swell job of race-relations.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6711|Oklahoma City
Don't know why you are being so defensive, I am just stating my point of view.

I did not see where this guy said he was going to break someone's legs, I only saw him throw some racial slurs around.

Threatening bodily harm falls under assault laws. In my opinion, violence is violence, and shouldn't matter what color your skin is. I think a number of the laws to protect racial discriminating are actually causing as much of it as they are preventing. If I punch a guy in the face, it is assault. If it comes out he is a black, gay, Jew, then my sentence is longer and harsher. That isn't right, I still performed the same action.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6711|Oklahoma City
And rereading the OP, I still don't see threats to break anyone's legs.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
you really don't understand assault laws. punching a black guy = longer sentence? ffs
HITNRUNXX
+220|6711|Oklahoma City
It does when they declare it a hate crime. ffs
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6733|St. Andrews / Oslo

Not a problem with a law but those enforcing it then, isn't it.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
HITNRUNXX
+220|6711|Oklahoma City
I think I have said a half dozen times that I don't have a problem with these laws, only the process of gauging it since they are usually very vaguely written and open to interpretation.
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6733|St. Andrews / Oslo

"racially or religiously aggravated" seems pretty clear to me, it doesn't say "assaulting someone who is of a different race or religion".. (taken from here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1998/37/section/29 , correct me if I'm wrong, I'm no lawyer)

Regarding "violence is violence" - the law (at least as I'm familiar with it) simply isn't like that - it's not consequentialist. Intentions and motives matter.

I personally think assaulting someone because you don't like the colour of their skin is far worse than assaulting someone because of a disagreement, and they should be handled accordingly.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
apparently america, one of the most racially divided nations in the western world, thinks it's okay and conducive to a good healthy society to have overt racism promoted and allowed in the public arena. move along here, nothing to see. this from the same country that moves along people from its shopping malls because they "look too gay". clearly they have social rights and laws sorted.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6711|Oklahoma City
I don't think the reason matters nearly as much as the action, when it boils down to something like that. You get pissed off at a guy of your color, and hit him, and are treated totally differently than if you got pissed off at a person of another color/religion/sexual preference and hit him, because the lawyers happily use that reasoning against you. End result though: Someone got punched in the face.

By the way, I totally disagree that America is "one of the most racially divided nations in the western world". America just has its race issues super exaggerated for the purpose of "news" stories. This whole Zimmerman deal is a perfect example. This case doesn't come from being racially divided. It comes from media hype... That is why these cases only get attention when it goes that direction. Swap their races and no one would know anything about it, because it couldn't be sensationalized.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
again you completely misunderstand aggravated race crimes. go read up a bit. you are using a person's incidental skincolour as some sort of 'proof' of race-assault's absurdity. the whole point of an assault aggravated racially is that there is a PROVABLE element that was caused or inflamed by race. if you can't prove that aspect, there is no racial point. a judge won't automatically assume that a white guy fighting a black guy is racial - that's insane. it won't even be charged that way. unless there is evidence of a racist element, race doesn't even apply. you are making out that we extra-punish you if you're mean to another race. that's just not so. you are talking shit.
Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6734|Cambridge, England

specops10-4 wrote:

don't let those in power have control over those not in power.
Lol awesome quote.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard