_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6781|Riva, MD

Dilbert_X wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Very true. As long as it hasn't been sitting the garage for more than 12 months without the engine being turned over you'll get a sweet deal most of the time.
And where would I find such a vehicle?

I work at a retirement apartment complex where a lot of old folks have cars and rarely drive them. I wonder if I could get one there from somebody.
Put up a notice
"Sensible young USMC applicant looking for an old car which is no longer needed, will love and cherish it for ever and ever"
Don't put a price on, they'll fall over each other to sell to you.

But old, barely used cars have a whole different set of problems...
Yeah, depending on how old, it might not even be worth it to get one

Problems:
High mileage
Dead battery if unused for too long
Replacement parts possibly no longer made by OEM
Carbureted engine - my uncle tells me they're a pain in the ass to to work on
Poor gas mileage compared to newer models which tend to be made almost entirely with emphasis on that
Rust
Several different owners
Very likely no OBD-II computer if made before 1996 which means a few less conveniences
Poor, if any, resale value unless thoroughly restored

Benefits:
Generally roomier in the cab and the trunk than most newer cars like you wanted
Probably cheap so there's more money left to to fix what needs to be repaired to pass inspection
More likely to be stick-shift like you mentioned you wanted in a different thread a while ago
If it's old enough, I think you either don't need to get emissions inspected by default or you can get historical plates to guarantee that
Potential for bigger, more powerful V8 engines
Not everybody likes the feeling of ABS, lol
Seeing what it's like to drive an older type of car in general is probably pretty interesting
jsnipy
+3,276|6587|...

diesel golf
HITNRUNXX
+220|6774|Oklahoma City

_j5689_ wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

And where would I find such a vehicle?

I work at a retirement apartment complex where a lot of old folks have cars and rarely drive them. I wonder if I could get one there from somebody.
Put up a notice
"Sensible young USMC applicant looking for an old car which is no longer needed, will love and cherish it for ever and ever"
Don't put a price on, they'll fall over each other to sell to you.

But old, barely used cars have a whole different set of problems...

Problems:
High mileage
Poor gas mileage compared to newer models which tend to be made almost entirely with emphasis on that
Rust
Several different owners
Very likely no OBD-II computer if made before 1996 which means a few less conveniences

Benefits:
Probably cheap so there's more money left to to fix what needs to be repaired to pass inspection
More likely to be stick-shift like you mentioned you wanted in a different thread a while ago
If it's old enough, I think you either don't need to get emissions inspected by default or you can get historical plates to guarantee that
Seeing what it's like to drive an older type of car in general is probably pretty interesting
This is very true.
We had an old Buick Roadmaster with a perfect engine and transmission... Even with like 200K+ miles on it... But the other expenses started adding up... A seatbelt broke. A spring in the seat broke. The paint started flaking off. Fuel pump... Water pump... Master cylinder... Just general things you have to replace after a while... When they are that old, there are just a lot of potential things that can go wrong in $150-$400 chunks. And if you can afford random $$$ fixes every couple months, you could probably have afforded the payment on a nicer car...

Although if you are actually saving and paying cash, I am impressed as hell with you.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6781|Riva, MD

jsnipy wrote:

diesel golf
My dad had one of those too, got 50MPG easily but you can feel the diesel shaking the entire car when you're idling and it's not really quiet inside either because of that.  Doesn't have a whole lot of room either as a hatchback, and it's definitely a pretty small hatchback at that
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5423|London, England
The girl I dated in high school had a diesel mercedez. thing took five minutes to reach cruising speed
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6781|Riva, MD

Jay wrote:

The girl I dated in high school had a diesel mercedez. thing took five minutes to reach cruising speed
Those are cool though because I think on the older ones at least, they come from the factory being able to use bio-diesel where you make your own diluted diesel fuel from discarded vegetable oil from restaurants.  They say the exhaust smells like French Fries

Diesel engines are also known for lasting forever, lots of big-rig drivers have reported a million miles on their rigs and there's a lot of old 1980s Ford pick-up drivers that have 500K+ on theirs.  Better mileage(I think I read somewhere they combust more efficiently than gasoline engines) and longer lasting, they're true workhorse engines.  The only problem is the smaller car-sized engines need "glow plugs" in certain weather because they don't get hot enough to start right
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6836|PNW

SEREMAKER wrote:

Ultrafunkula wrote:

SEREMAKER wrote:

here :

I was supposed to move one of those things indoors at the hockey arena last season for display. I got the keys, went in, looked around, got out, went back to the office and gave the keys back. I didn't find anywhere any clues how to start the damn thing...
Isn't it down by the shifter in those cars? Shouldn't be hard to find.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6774|Oklahoma City

Jay wrote:

But it only took Jay 30 seconds to reach cruising speed... :p
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6633|Mountains of NC

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

SEREMAKER wrote:

Ultrafunkula wrote:

I was supposed to move one of those things indoors at the hockey arena last season for display. I got the keys, went in, looked around, got out, went back to the office and gave the keys back. I didn't find anywhere any clues how to start the damn thing...
https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_527/128099762463dUbA.jpg
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,737|6802|Oxferd Ohire

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

SEREMAKER wrote:

Ultrafunkula wrote:

the car is also tiny so it shouldn't really
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √

https://www.demotivationalposters.org/image/demotivational-poster/1002/my-first-car-first-car-flintstone-mobile-demotivational-poster-1265902503.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6836|PNW

I'm sure it'd be one of those facepalm moments once you realized...
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √

heres some interior shots of the smart

https://0.tqn.com/d/cars/1/0/u/8/1/ag_08fortwo_intleft.jpg

https://www.performance-car-guide.co.uk/images/L-Smart-Roadster-Interior.jpg

looks like its under the shifter
Christbane
+51|6299
https://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f339/Finish-Tech/smart-car-monster-truck.jpg
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6565|so randum

Christbane wrote:

Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,811|6170|eXtreme to the maX

_j5689_ wrote:

Problems:
High mileage
Rust
Several different owners

Benefits:
I was thinking old, not antique, and a carburetted V8 is hardly Sh1fty's ideal first car.

_j5689_ wrote:

Jay wrote:

Those are cool though because I think on the older ones at least, they come from the factory being able to use bio-diesel where you make your own diluted diesel fuel from discarded vegetable oil from restaurants.  They say the exhaust smells like French Fries

Diesel engines are also known for lasting forever, lots of big-rig drivers have reported a million miles on their rigs and there's a lot of old 1980s Ford pick-up drivers that have 500K+ on theirs.  Better mileage(I think I read somewhere they combust more efficiently than gasoline engines) and longer lasting, they're true workhorse engines.  The only problem is the smaller car-sized engines need "glow plugs" in certain weather because they don't get hot enough to start right
I see Americans still don't understand diesel engines.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6562

Dilbert_X wrote:

fuck you, i have a commercial drivers license and can work on a diesel if i had the tools and parts.

is your only experience with people that don't live in your village on this forum?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
lol, that one doesn't have a clue at least
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5423|London, England

13urnzz wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

fuck you, i have a commercial drivers license and can work on a diesel if i had the tools and parts.

is your only experience with people that don't live in your village on this forum?
He's Breitbart's prodigy: internet troll that simply likes to argue.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
HITNRUNXX
+220|6774|Oklahoma City
I don't think a lot of people realize how much diesel engines improved in the last 20-30 years. After all, most engine tech has barely improved in the last 60 years.

My neighbor's 80's diesel pickup has to start and idle for about 5 minutes before he can drive it...

My parent's 200x diesel pickup has to start and idle for about 5 seconds before they can drive it...

I don't think it is a lack of understanding as much as no exposure. They got such a bad rap for their cold behavior 30 years ago that everyone hated them and no one drives them except truckers. When my parents bought theirs', diesel was significantly cheaper than regular gas. Right after they bought theirs', diesel jumped up to about $0.40/gallon more than regular gas. It stayed that was for a few years. I don't know where it is now.

But I think a lot of people are figuring out that these vehicles seem to last so much longer that they are a better overall value. On the flip side of that, over here they are mainly only in trucks, unless you buy a foreign car, which has its own expenses. Especially ones with rarer diesel engines and hard to find parts.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
If _j5689_'s level of knowledge is typical then you'd be right.

Diesels tend to be engineered differently, they don't spin up to high revs, and diesel buyers tend to run their vehicles a little differently, those are the main reason diesels last longer, just as Volvo petrol engines magically 'last longer'.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6774|Oklahoma City
I thought Volvos lasted longer because those were the only owners that actually had regularly scheduled maintenance performed on their vehicles. Which IS actual magic if you think about it.
jsnipy
+3,276|6587|...

_j5689_ wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

diesel golf
My dad had one of those too, got 50MPG easily but you can feel the diesel shaking the entire car when you're idling and it's not really quiet inside either because of that.  Doesn't have a whole lot of room either as a hatchback, and it's definitely a pretty small hatchback at that
was that one branded "TDI" ?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I thought Volvos lasted longer because those were the only owners that actually had regularly scheduled maintenance performed on their vehicles. Which IS actual magic if you think about it.
Thats the other part of it, careful driving + 5,000 mile oil changes -> Last forever

Just like diesels - its spooky

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2012-03-14 06:06:27)

UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5101|Massachusetts, USA
Shifty should buy a big ol' cadillac car.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard