Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6779

Jaekus wrote:

I had to laugh when a couple years ago in the US everyone was complaining about petrol being up to around $3.70 US a gallon at the pump.

We pay on average $5.30 AUD a gallon (which is currently worth more than USD), except priced in litres. If you live somewhere remote you'll pay double that with five times the driving distances to everything.
yeah but then again cashed up bogans living in remote areas get paid 200k a year for mining
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5420|London, England

Sisco wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

Not everybody cares about fuel economy or wants to have a small unlikeable ugly cramped little car, sometimes people just want a car that they like and for many people, that's not a hatchback

I personally don't think I ever wanna get something that's not an SUV or a full-sized sedan
My point was that shifty and people in general should think about fuel economy. This isn´t the 80´s anymore, oil is finite, smoking defiantely kills and the money doesn´t lie on the street.
The hatchback statement was brought up by jay, and even though there are enough hatchbacks that are not ugly and cramped, its this "I need the biggest car there is" sentiment that grinds my gears. The very dumb american stereotype I mentioned before and the one you are now reinforcing.
If you need space a sedan or kombi is fine too, but thinking about fuel economy should be one of the main factors in making a decision. A SUV is just dumb.
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
HITNRUNXX
+220|6772|Oklahoma City

Jaekus wrote:

American gas prices are far cheaper than what we pay for petrol here. Whenever I hear an American complain I just think "man, get some perspective".
Meh, that is about like your mom telling you to finish the food you don't like because kids in Africa would love to have it...

When you are used to a certain lifestyle, and a certain expense, and that changes, you have the right to complain about it. Like I said in an earlier post, in the late 90s, gas had dropped down to about $0.63/gallon. In 2009 it was about $1.70/gallon. In the last year it topped $4 a couple times before settling back down about $3.50.

Rarely are 650% rate hikes in a 15 year period seen and accepted. Rarely are 235% rate hikes in a 2 year period are seen and accepted.

I know we don't have it as rough as other places in the world for one reason or another, but I am still not going to eat my broccoli.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5241|Sydney
Yeah, that doesn't really contradict with me thinking "man, get some perspective".
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,737|6799|Oxferd Ohire
people dont think of aus when talking about gas prices. they think of europe where there is good public transit and cars with high mpg
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6744|Disaster Free Zone
No matter how much or how efficient it is, public transport is never good.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,975|6694|949

Why?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

DrunkFace wrote:

No matter how much or how efficient it is, public transport is never good.
Meh, it's kind of nice sitting on the train reading a book on the way to work rather than sitting in traffic where I have to keep my mind engaged on driving. Outside of a pure commute like that, mass transit sucks. It's probably why there are 15,000 restaurants in NYC; it's too much of a pain in the ass to go food shopping.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
HITNRUNXX
+220|6772|Oklahoma City

Jaekus wrote:

Yeah, that doesn't really contradict with me thinking "man, get some perspective".
True, perspective would be one of your bills suddenly spiking 600%, and me saying "Don't complain, it is still more expensive elsewhere."
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

HITNRUNXX wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

True, perspective would be one of your bills suddenly spiking 600%, and me saying "Don't complain, it is still more expensive elsewhere."
The only time I ever remember seeing gas for less than a dollar was pre-Gulf War. Now it's $4.09/gallon but it still takes up less than 1% of my budget.

The funny part is the Democrats suddenly pointing fingers when it comes to gas prices. They enjoy lecturing people on fuel consumption, green energy etc, lament the fact that we lack a national high speed rail system and a UK sized fuel tax, and do everything they can to drive up the cost of gas, but when election season comes around it's suddenly Wall Street speculation to blame. Lol. Whatevs.
-Frederick Bastiat
HITNRUNXX
+220|6772|Oklahoma City
I agree Jay...

It was that cheap around 96/97...

But yeah, all the Democrats blamed Bush for high gas prices when he was in office and said it was the President's responsibility to regulate these things. Now Obama is in and it is the oil company and wall street...

Obama's only response so far has been buy a new fuel efficient vehicle... If I could afford a new car, gas prices wouldn't be bothering me though...

Meanwhile, I don't know what your commute is like, but around here the average is about 25-30 miles each way.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I ride the train to work but my fiancee has averaged around 40 miles per day since we got the car two Septembers ago. Car gets around 22mpg so we'll say 2 gallons per day. It sucks, but it's still less than our cigs used to cost us.

My monthly train ticket is $193, but that's subsidized heavily by the state from bridge tolls, taxi taxes and other stuff.
-Frederick Bastiat
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5536|Ventura, California

Jaekus wrote:

globefish23 wrote:

If you can, buy a car from a pensioner who didn't drive much with it and now can't drive it at all.
You'll most likely end up with a car that has been sheltered in a garage and well-maintained.
Very true. As long as it hasn't been sitting the garage for more than 12 months without the engine being turned over you'll get a sweet deal most of the time.
And where would I find such a vehicle?

I work at a retirement apartment complex where a lot of old folks have cars and rarely drive them. I wonder if I could get one there from somebody.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6562|so randum
there is also this magical invention called the internet

thank al gore
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6452
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/__1OzjxCtHZI/TEf8X9Yp9eI/AAAAAAAAEcg/1C6Me73Kifg/s1600/al-gore-internet.jpg
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6779|Riva, MD
When I first started started driving last March, I already caught the prices in the middle of the worst rise where it was probably like $2.95 in January and by March it was high 3s, I remember paying $4.07 for regular at my favorite station in April for probably 3 weeks.  And my dumbass Liberal governor wanted to raise the state gas tax by fifteen more cents, but dropped that proposition at the last minute, we don't need any more gas taxes, especially when they're not going into researching alternative energies but just more general stupid government spending, it just traps everybody with taxes that aren't doing anything to change anything

Almost all Brazilian cars are Flex-Fuel(supports up to E85) and some even run full E100(100% Ethanol) fuel, they're pretty much independent of oil for at least the purpose of transportation.  That's what the U.S. needs to do, but it seems like only the domestic car brands are supporting Flex-Fuel and many stations aren't very quick to offer it either, the closest station that has it for me is 30 minutes away in Annapolis.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Ethanol sucks.
-Frederick Bastiat
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6779|Riva, MD

Jay wrote:

Ethanol sucks.
I'm sure you'll explain why?
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5648

_j5689_ wrote:

Jay wrote:

Ethanol sucks.
rah rah food prices rah rah farming subsidies rah rah libertarian
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

_j5689_ wrote:

Jay wrote:

Ethanol sucks.
Because it takes land away from food production causing food prices to skyrocket. It is just as weather dependent as food. Bad drought and you have no food AND no fuel. And you're still burning carbon.

The only people that like ethanol are farmers.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Macbeth wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

Jay wrote:

Ethanol sucks.
rah rah food prices rah rah farming subsidies rah rah libertarian
Rah rah use a gun next time
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5648

Jay wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

Jay wrote:

Ethanol sucks.
Because it takes land away from food production causing food prices to skyrocket. It is just as weather dependent as food. Bad drought and you have no food AND no fuel. And you're still burning carbon.

lol predictable.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6772|Oklahoma City

Jay wrote:

I ride the train to work but my fiancee has averaged around 40 miles per day since we got the car two Septembers ago. Car gets around 22mpg so we'll say 2 gallons per day. It sucks, but it's still less than our cigs used to cost us.

My monthly train ticket is $193, but that's subsidized heavily by the state from bridge tolls, taxi taxes and other stuff.
I wish we had some sort of decent rail system here. We are so spread out (3rd largest geographical city in the U.S. when including water, 5th when not) that it isn't feasible. The only public transportation we have is buses, and you don't take them unless you have about 4 hours to kill while it makes its routes, as opposed to my 20 minute drive.

$193 is a lot higher than I expected though.

When I went to Burlington for business (9 miles outside of Boston) I really wanted to get into Boston. The rail system was only like $2 to ride around, but the taxi ride into Boston to get to the rails was going to be about $80 each way.

Also, as far as Ethanol goes, my old car (Taurus) dropped slowly from 350 miles per tank on pure gas to about 200 miles per tank on gas with ethanol added. Mechanic couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. I finally started putting pure gas in it and it went back up to just under 300. My wife's vehicle at the time (Malibu) would sputter and shut down on gas with ethanol in it, and ran perfect with regular gas. Her old van though, would give emission alerts on regular gas and run better on gas with ethanol in it.

Either way, it scared me off...
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Macbeth wrote:

Jay wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

lol predictable.
Yeah, next time I'll make stuff up since facts are boring.
-Frederick Bastiat
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6254|Roma

Dilbert_X wrote:

Trucks are useful, but not really that useful - a $500 towbar on an average vehicle and a handy trailer rental company makes much more sense.
I find that extra seats are more useful more of the time. And for a lot of things, folding down the seats can fit them in. Dishwashers fit in hatchbacks.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard