eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

states are much closer to your counties than your nations
Disagree.

We dont have elected officials to represent counties

We dont really have county laws (other than differing fines for dog poop and the like)

A county has no real autonomy at all, people do not see themselves as coming from a county anymore than from a town or village.

Please expand..
the only people who would argue that US states have a high degree of autonomy would be libertarians and people who want the south to rise again.  thankfully that issue was settled by the civil war.  reality does not agree with those people.  youre view of the unted states is a kin to a confederation.  it was tried, it didnt last.  states are closer to your counties (i suppose some nations in the eu have different ways of spreading political power internally) than your nations.  alabama is not equal to the netherlands.  not by a long long shot
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
P.S. States dont have sports teams either.  We have city teams.  Also the vast majority of elected officials, local and national, are elected from constituencies that are very very arbritrary as well.  Also, size of the states is not a very good argument.
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
does the EU tax individual citizens?

Is there a local tax, a national tax and an EU tax?

Last edited by eleven bravo (2012-03-01 16:50:04)

Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England

eleven bravo wrote:

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

states are much closer to your counties than your nations
Disagree.

We dont have elected officials to represent counties

We dont really have county laws (other than differing fines for dog poop and the like)

A county has no real autonomy at all, people do not see themselves as coming from a county anymore than from a town or village.

Please expand..
the only people who would argue that US states have a high degree of autonomy would be libertarians and people who want the south to rise again.  thankfully that issue was settled by the civil war.  reality does not agree with those people.  youre view of the unted states is a kin to a confederation.  it was tried, it didnt last.  states are closer to your counties (i suppose some nations in the eu have different ways of spreading political power internally) than your nations.  alabama is not equal to the netherlands.  not by a long long shot
So you're saying that there is no difference between the laws in Oklahoma and the laws in California? You, who live in the most autonomous of all states, should surely be able to see that there are rather big differences. Yes, there is a lot of overlap because of federal programs, but there is a vast gulf between the laws in my state and the laws in Texas. Between unions, and regulations, and ideas about taxation, it's almost like living in a different country.

You see a strong federal government because you want to see a strong federal government. It's trending that way, but it's not nearly as powerful as you think, or want it to be.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
federal law trumps state law.  you shoul know that.  once an issue or controversy reaches the supreme court and gets decided it is the law of the land.
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
i disagree with you jay.  lets leave it at that.  debates with you tend to end in personal jabs. from both of us.  Ill leave it at that because i honestly cant think of writing anything else without knowing youll be offended
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
It does, but the 10th Amendment limits Federal power.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

and the commerce clause expands it...
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
thats a common argument but too many instances in american history have proven that wrong.  ANYTHING (almost) could be chalked under interstate commerce and EVERYTHING (almost) has
Tu Stultus Es
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

eleven bravo wrote:

federal law trumps state law.  you shoul know that.  once an issue or controversy reaches the supreme court and gets decided it is the law of the land.
Same with the EU. EU law is supreme ad that's why there's such a big fuss with the soveriegnty in Europe.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
so the militaries of the nations of the eu are in the EU Army?  The president of the EU has more power than the heads of state of the EU nations?UK uses the euro?  etc etc etc
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
the eu's a confederation.  they may share some of the same laws and responsibilities for one another but they still retain their own autonomy.  the united states is not and the individual states do not.
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

eleven bravo wrote:

thats a common argument but too many instances in american history have proven that wrong.  ANYTHING (almost) could be chalked under interstate commerce and EVERYTHING (almost) has
That doesn't make it right. The commerce clause was meant to prohibit tariffs between states. That's pretty much it.

Honestly, I don't understand why people would want a strong federal government in the first place. The higher up the pyramid you go, the further you as an individual are from power and the less you matter. I prefer a stronger state government because I'm one of 18,000,000 rather than one of 330,000,000.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

eleven bravo wrote:

so the militaries of the nations of the eu are in the EU Army?  The president of the EU has more power than the heads of state of the EU nations?UK uses the euro?  etc etc etc
No, but it's trending that way quickly.
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom

Jay wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

That doesn't make it right.
impasse
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom

Jay wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

50 bucks says the EU will dissolve within our lifetimes
Tu Stultus Es
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

Jay wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

That doesn't make it right. The commerce clause was meant to prohibit tariffs between states. That's pretty much it.

Honestly, I don't understand why people would want a strong federal government in the first place. The higher up the pyramid you go, the further you as an individual are from power and the less you matter. I prefer a stronger state government because I'm one of 18,000,000 rather than one of 330,000,000.
no ones saying they want it that way...it's just the reality of the situation
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

eleven bravo wrote:

Jay wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

I'd take that bet. With the Lisbon Treaty, there's too much power involved now. The parliamentary leaders aren't ever going to give that power up without a 'civil war'. The only way it dissolves is by force, and none of the EU countries has a strong enough military to force dissolution.
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
youre on
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

no ones saying they want it that way...it's just the reality of the situation
Then you've never read the columnists at the New York Times
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

i wasn't aware they were posting here.  or perhaps you meant to write your comment in the new york times opinion section

the reality is in some aspects a strong central government is beneficial, in others it's not.  In my opinion I think it's stupid to look at it as a black and white issue.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Other than diplomacy, trade, military and having a supreme court, I can't think of much that improves with centralization.
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

Jay wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

Jay wrote:

I'd take that bet. With the Lisbon Treaty, there's too much power involved now. The parliamentary leaders aren't ever going to give that power up without a 'civil war'. The only way it dissolves is by force, and none of the EU countries has a strong enough military to force dissolution.
Oh God

Hahaha
BVC
+325|6697
I'm not sure what to make of Scottish independance.  What will happen to the commonwealth in that case?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX

Macbeth wrote:

Jay wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

Oh God

Hahaha
That is lolworthy.

As for comparing US states, EU countries, Irish counties you're trying compare apples with oranges with potatos - its really pointless.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard