Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5195|Sydney
US police tasered a mother after she cut into the drive-through line at McDonald's and refused to move after she was denied service.

Evangeline Lucca, 37, blocked the drive-through at McDonald's in Hope Mills, North Carolina, after employees refused to serve her, ABC News reports.

North Carolina police said Lucca was defiant and "threatening the deputies" when they arrived.

Customer Anthony Rich told the Fay Observer he saw three police get into Lucca's car and try to drag her out before shooting her with the Taser gun.

When the mother still refused to leave the car the police tasered her again, Mr Rich said.

"When they tasered her the second time, she just flopped out of the car like a fish," he said.

Lucca's three-year-old daughter was in the car with her during the incident and taken into protective care.

The mother was charged with second degree trespassing.
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/841453 … nalds-line

Her actions aside, was this necessary? The article doesn't provide much detail unfortunately. I'm assuming the police were within the law to tase her but I can't help but wonder if there was a better approach. I mean, it is McDonalds we're talking about.

Part of me thinks this is heavy handed policing and part of me wants more detail to the story to understand it better because maybe it isn't.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5602

Police are human. Like most humans they tend to want to go about their lives and not have to deal with shit. I don't think many cops out there want to taz a woman in front of her children. They asked her to get out of the car first. Then tried dragging her out. Then zapped her and asked her to get out. She refused again and they zapped her for a second time.

Pretty clear case of asking for it/failing to avoid an easily avoidable situation.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5982|London, England

She was most likely drunk and endangering the people around her but the whole story will never be posted because people like to hate cops.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Eagle
Togs8896 is my evil alter ego
+567|6648|New Hampshire, USA
I just like seeing self-entitled people get what they deserve.  She cuts in line then gets pissed when she is refused service and blocks the line from everyone else.  Then when the cops arrive, shes belligerent with them, resulting in her tasing.  It's not like the cops were brutal either, they followed clear cut steps trying to get her out of there peacefully.  The only red flag here is tasing her in front of a three year old, but what else were they supposed to do?  Continue trying to wrestle her and risk their own safety?  Nope, cops 1, self-entitled bitch 0
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/14407/Sig_Pats.jpg
Jaekus
+957|5195|Sydney
Yeah I agree with kid is the main concern here, the rest she brought upon herself.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6726|Oklahoma City
What else would you have them do? Let her sit there and tell a business "Tough, I know she is breaking the law, but she said no, so I guess you are just going to continue losing business. See ya."

Maybe they should have set up police barricade and called in a hostage negotiator?

Maybe they should have physically beat her into submission?

Fact of the matter is: She was NOT tazed for cutting in line. She was tazed for refusing to obey lawful commands from police and resisting arrest.

Jaekus, I actually really like you on here, but dude, "Her actions aside" can't be said here... It is EXACTLY her actions that caused the problems... Her actions aside, the police never would have been called to begin with.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5490|Ventura, California
When something like that happens I wish the cop would just ask the McDonalds lady to give her the freaking order she wants and have her get the hell out.

On the plus side this big drama would have been avoided. When somebody's an asshole on that level just serve them so they GTFO. On the con side she might try to do it again 'knowing' she'll get away with it.

Now we get more money spent on a stupid case of second degree trespassing.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Jaekus
+957|5195|Sydney

HITNRUNXX wrote:

What else would you have them do? Let her sit there and tell a business "Tough, I know she is breaking the law, but she said no, so I guess you are just going to continue losing business. See ya."

Maybe they should have set up police barricade and called in a hostage negotiator?

Maybe they should have physically beat her into submission?

Fact of the matter is: She was NOT tazed for cutting in line. She was tazed for refusing to obey lawful commands from police and resisting arrest.

Jaekus, I actually really like you on here, but dude, "Her actions aside" can't be said here... It is EXACTLY her actions that caused the problems... Her actions aside, the police never would have been called to begin with.
Her actions did cause it and I recognise that and there's no dispute there. I just can't help but wonder if tasing was really the best solution. Perhaps it is. But I'm just putting it up for discussion as there may have been an alternative. If the kid wasn't in the car I wouldn't really give a shit, but that's the crux of it for me.

Last edited by Jaekus (2012-02-05 21:14:39)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6123|eXtreme to the maX
Was she threatening someone's life?

Tasering was not justified.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
HITNRUNXX
+220|6726|Oklahoma City

Dilbert_X wrote:

Again, happy to hear your opinion on what SHOULD have been done.

Tazers are not meant to replace guns. Guns are used when someone's life is endangered. Tazers are meant to force compliance without physically beating someone.

So, again, instead of just passing judgement from your computer chair, feel free to Monday-Morning Quarterback the appropriate action.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6797|Great Brown North
"if you don't do this i'm going to zap the shit out of you"

GTFO of the car

no sympathy
Sturgeon
+488|4958|Flintshire
Good, fuck line cutters
https://bf3s.com/sigs/3dda27c6d0d9b22836605b152b9d214b99507f91.png
Sturgeon
+488|4958|Flintshire
Should've kneecapped her imo
https://bf3s.com/sigs/3dda27c6d0d9b22836605b152b9d214b99507f91.png
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6340|Graz, Austria
Better a tazer than using pepper with possible collateral damage to the kid.
They really don't have much more choices of non-lethal weapons inside a car.

If I were the manager of that restaurant, I would have called the cops, perma-banned her from the restaurant (and possibly all others) and then continued to serve other customers by redirecting their cars around hers and handing them their food outside.
That would have shown her that her actions are not tolerated there and they could have continued serving other guests.
If she still would not have left, the cops could then have tazered her anyway.

Alternatively:
Handcuff her to the steering wheel and put a wheel clamp on her car.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6788|PNW

Jaekus wrote:

Her actions aside, was this necessary? The article doesn't provide much detail unfortunately. I'm assuming the police were within the law to tase her but I can't help but wonder if there was a better approach. I mean, it is McDonalds we're talking about.

Part of me thinks this is heavy handed policing and part of me wants more detail to the story to understand it better because maybe it isn't.
Was it? She was obstructing a place of business because she was too lazy to pull around and try again. Then pride or whatever the fuck it was made her not leave when the POLICE showed up. Then she wouldn't even get out of her car when they obviously had her. If I didn't know her before hand to know for sure she isn't, I'd simply assume she was a crazy lady and take steps to not get stabbed between the ribs when dragging her away.

Dilbert_X wrote:

So what do you suggest? That they sit around for five hours until she gets too hungry to protest, watching her bitch while crime runs rampant elsewhere?
13/f/taiwan
+940|5715

Sturgeon wrote:

Good, fuck line cutters
Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6749|Cambridge, England
What would the police have done before tasers?
HITNRUNXX
+220|6726|Oklahoma City

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

What would the police have done before tasers?
Probably a vehicle extraction that often results in broken thumbs (from prying hands off the wheel) or broken arms from using them to lever against the door jam. Give me a choice between breaking my thumbs or tazering me, and I pick the tazer. It is less force than about anything they can do other than sitting and waiting.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6684

She got it easy.  Any traumatic issues with the kid, well, that's all on her.
jord
+2,382|6695|The North, beyond the wall.
There are a lot of videos/storeys out there of police abusing a taser, this is not one of them.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5982|London, England

I want some mcdonalds
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5718|College Park, MD
i had a #5 meal today, crispy chicken.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
venom6
Since day One.
+247|6575|Hungary
Land of the free! God bless the USA!
Freedom. Liberty. Democracy.
rdx-fx
+955|6608

Eagle wrote:

I just like seeing self-entitled people get what they deserve.  She cuts in line then gets pissed when she is refused service and blocks the line from everyone else.  Then when the cops arrive, shes belligerent with them, resulting in her tasing.  It's not like the cops were brutal either, they followed clear cut steps trying to get her out of there peacefully.  The only red flag here is tasing her in front of a three year old, but what else were they supposed to do?  Continue trying to wrestle her and risk their own safety?  Nope, cops 1, self-entitled bitch 0
Exactly

-Sh1fty- wrote:

When something like that happens I wish the cop would just ask the McDonalds lady to give her the freaking order she wants and have her get the hell out.

On the plus side this big drama would have been avoided. When somebody's an asshole on that level just serve them so they GTFO. On the con side she might try to do it again 'knowing' she'll get away with it.

Now we get more money spent on a stupid case of second degree trespassing.
No way.

Parenting 101 - You do NOT get what you want by throwing a temper tantrum. 
Properly raised 3 year olds know this. 
The mother of a three year old should definitely know this by now.

Over-entitled twat doesn't get what she wants, throws a tantrum - she gets the taser;
Outstanding!

Edit: Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go polish my jack boots

Last edited by rdx-fx (2012-02-06 13:22:27)

rdx-fx
+955|6608

Ilocano wrote:

She got it easy.  Any traumatic issues with the kid, well, that's all on her.
Other than the multitude of issues that the kid will have from being raised by an over-entitled egocentric mother that's prone to childish temper tantrums in public?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard