Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

Colorado could treat animal abusers like sex offenders by requiring them to register online and tell police where they live.

A bill scheduled for a hearing in a Colorado House committee Monday would require adults convicted of cruelty to animals or animal fighting to register with the Department of Public Safety.

The first animal abuser registry was set up in Suffolk County, N.Y. Similar registries have been considered in a handful of states.

Supporters say animal abusers are at higher risk of hurting other people.
People convicted of abusing or neglecting animals could soon have their information made public in something similar to Maryland's sex offender registry.

State Sen. Ron Young, D-Washington and Frederick counties, is sponsoring a bill that would keep track of animal abusers. If passed, an abuser's photo and address would be posted in a state database for 10 years.

The general public could then look for animal abusers online.

"It's just an issue that's not being addressed well here in Maryland, so I think it's time to at least start registering people and knowing where they are," Young said.

Under the legislation, a person would go into the registry if they abuse, neglect or poison an animal, attend dog fights or leave a dog unattended outside while it's tied up.

Young said he plans to introduce the bill sometime next week.
Literally retarded. A sex offender registry is okay since they violated a human and are a constant threat to others but this is just ridiculous. Someone who left their dog in the car during a heat wave isn't a menace to society that needs to be shamed wherever they go.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS
There's a very strong correlation between deliberate animal abuse (note: not neglect) and other violent crimes, tbh.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

Spark wrote:

There's a very strong correlation between deliberate animal abuse (note: not neglect) and other violent crimes, tbh.
So you think this is a good idea then?
CC-Marley
+407|6821
I think it's a great idea.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS

Macbeth wrote:

Spark wrote:

Don't see any real problems with it. Personally I think animal abusers are vile scum, and it shows in other aspects of their lives.

Last edited by Spark (2012-01-30 17:07:36)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6730|Oxferd Ohire
how could anyone abuse a face like https://forums.bf2s.com/img/avatars/1946.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5694|College Park, MD
I agree with Spark but at the same time I think that if the government thinks you're dangerous enough to have your whereabouts posted publicly, you probably shouldn't be in public.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

Spark wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Spark wrote:

Don't see any real problems with it. Personally I think animal abusers are vile scum, and it shows in other aspects of their lives.
Well I see it as a completely ridiculous over reaction to a non-issue. I think this is a weird mix of nanny statism and moral crusading.

Personally I think alcoholics/drunk driver/drug addicts/etc are vile scum and it shows in other aspects of theirs lives but I don't think they should have to get registered.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6625|949

Most sex offenders aren't a constant threat.

Retarded legislation is retarded. Let's go another step and add a registry for abused kids and drug offenders- they have a higher risk for hurting other people as well.

We can only hope some common sense is applied before this goes through.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5252|foggy bottom

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I agree with Spark but at the same time I think that if the government thinks you're dangerous enough to have your whereabouts posted publicly, you probably shouldn't be in public.
like people with green cards
Tu Stultus Es
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6625|949

It's just an example of an emotive response instead of a logical one. Kind of like sex offender registries.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6493|so randum
good?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6461
I hate animals.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6702|Oklahoma City
Pretty big waste of tax dollars in my opinion. They can't get the sex registry laws downs, so why would we think they could get this law down...

And seriously, you are going to put animal abusers higher on the threat list than armed robbers, drug dealers, burglars, arsonists, drunk drivers, assaulters....assaultists... ummm, people who commit assaults,  lol, and other violent offenders?

Ridiculous.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6493|so randum
well yes, because just because someone punches a dude outside a club, that doesn't make them less of a shit human being than someone who sticks their dick inside a cat
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6461

FatherTed wrote:

well yes, because just because someone punches a dude outside a club, that doesn't make them less of a shit human being than someone who sticks their dick inside a cat
The purpose of laws is to maintain order in society. A belligerent drunk poses more thread to that order than someone who hits an animal does. You follow?
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6493|so randum
well no because i actually care about other creatures (other than humans) wellbeing
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
HITNRUNXX
+220|6702|Oklahoma City
Maybe so, but ever MURDERERS don't have to register... They go to prison and then get pardoned by their governor after 15 years as rehabilitated... But kick a cat and you are guilty for LIFE buddy.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6625|949

FatherTed wrote:

well no because i actually care about other creatures (other than humans) wellbeing
and people who are against this don't care about animals?  OK
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6730|Oxferd Ohire
how about a mong registry
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5351|London, England

Spark wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Spark wrote:

Then lock them up if you feel that strongly.

This whole registry shit is absurd. If a person commits a crime, is convicted, serves time or does community service or whatever, their debt to society is supposed to be paid. They get to wash their hands of it and move on with their lives. Instead, we keep heaping on the punishment for the rest of their lives. Apply for a job, fill out criminal history on the application, even if completely unrelated. Piss in public, receive a ticket, register as a sex offender for the rest of your life.

If you think a registry is warranted, then the real problem is that you don't think the initial punishments are harsh enough. Fix that instead.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5252|foggy bottom
ive got a strong feeling all those piss in public stories you hear about is some guy whacking it by the side of the road and thats just the story hes giving.
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

eleven bravo wrote:

ive got a strong feeling all those piss in public stories you hear about is some guy whacking it by the side of the road and thats just the story hes giving.
either way its ridiculous
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5252|foggy bottom
i agree, although if some dude was trying to expose himself in front of my mother or my girl or any other female family member id be a tad bit angry
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

eleven bravo wrote:

i agree, although if some dude was trying to expose himself in front of my mother or my girl or any other female family member id be a tad bit angry
it's just a dick. it ain't the first one they've seen
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard