RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6715|US

Dilbert_X wrote:

RAIMIUS wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

How is prayer banner is so terrible you must make this big of a deal about it? I'm pretty vehemently opposed to religion and am extremely critical of many Christian ideals. Despite that I'm not at all bothered by religious symbols. Religious people talking to me doesn't bother me either. Maybe I'm strange.

So could anyone here convince me that the little kid wasn't totally asking for it?
Yeah, I don't get why people get so pissed off about things that are not intended to be offensive or exclusionary.
Its unconstitutional, isn't that the point?
Depends on the specifics of the case (and how judges want to interpret "respecting an establishment of religion").
Personally, I view it through the lens of "does it encourage/discourage someone's faith?"  If the answer is "no" or "not really," then I lean toward not making a big deal about it.  Now, if the school put up a sign saying "Please attend Saint John's Baptist Church this Sunday at 10AM," yeah, that'd be more of an issue.

Last edited by RAIMIUS (2012-01-29 18:27:52)

eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
its a tax payer funded school.  all religions or no religions
Tu Stultus Es
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6690|Tampa Bay Florida

eleven bravo wrote:

Satan worship
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
if its recognized for non profit status, then yeah
Tu Stultus Es
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6690|Tampa Bay Florida
That'd be pretty fun
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
there was a case in the court where someone had a lawsuit against a school because during a assemblies they required the students to observe a moment of silence for prayer.  the court decided that a moment of silence for prayer was unconstiutional but a moment of silence for self reflection is perfectly fine.
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
the problem with that case was it was an invocation led by a preist
Tu Stultus Es
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6405|North Carolina
How does it matter either way?
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5484|Bolingbrook, Illinois
(ima try this stupid 4chan shit out)

>retarded, butthurt atheists
>retarded, butthurt theists

pick 2

seriously though, why is this even an issue?  the atheist is obviously a huge bitch for making such a big deal out of something so small

the theists are obviously huge hypocrites for sending her threats for something she has a right to be pissed about

either way, neither of the situations properly reflect atheists or theists, so why are we arguing about it?  it's just another case of idiotic bullshit that everyone tries to make a big deal about
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
im not arguing
Tu Stultus Es
HaiBai
discussing*
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
we wouldnt be discussing it if it wasnt placed on school property right
Tu Stultus Es
HITNRUNXX
+220|6710|Oklahoma City

eleven bravo wrote:

The difference here is this:

The banner was not made and put up by the school. It was done by a student. (Christian prayer at a school event is still legal, by the way, when led by students.) The message of the banner was in line with how the school wanted to portray itself.

Now, if you change the top line to "Dear Satan" or "Please Science" or "Yo Gabba Gabba" it doesn't really matter much in the message of the rest of the banner. So if some Satanic students wanted to post a banner with a positive message on it, it shouldn't really matter...

Now in our school, during one of the huge religion in schools knock down drag out fights, they got it all cleared with the Supreme Court via those same principles. The Christian kids were allowed to lead a positive prayer in the morning and so were the other religions... But the other religions wanted to push it into "Dear Dark Lord, let the student body sacrifice blood unto you and be bathed in semen. Amen." and they got banned. They fought it as discrimination, but it came down to "appropriate messages for high schoolers" and they lost.

Like I said before. Big Black "Censored" bar over the "Dear Heavenly Father" or whatever the top line said, and there is nothing that could even remotely be argued. Let alone the fact that it was not faculty led, or forcing beliefs on anyone, or anything of the sort. If the exact same banner existed and it said "Praise be to Allah" on the top line, nobody would ever dare to publicly address it, as they might be considered racist or something.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
its on school property. doesnt matter if it was placed by the school or not.  by keeping it there, it is considered an endorsement by the school of one religious belief over the other
Tu Stultus Es
HaiBai

eleven bravo wrote:

its on school property. doesnt matter if it was placed by the school or not.  by keeping it there, it is considered an endorsement by the school of one religious belief over the other
the banner was as much of an endorsement of religion as the pledge of allegiance or dollar bills   why arent we complaining about that?
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
i mean this kind of thing has been long decided by the supreme court.  theres really no argument.  now if you want to talk about why you feel it should be otherwise thats cool.
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom

HaiBai wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

the banner was as much of an endorsement of religion as the pledge of allegiance or dollar bills   why arent we complaining about that?
people complain about that all the time.
Tu Stultus Es
HaiBai
umadbro?

stop crying over simple little things.  as if the message was forcing religion down somebodies throat.  lol.  how is that not a good message to live by?  why are you making a big deal out of something so stupid?
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
what the school allowed is a violation of the establishment clause of the first amendment.  no debate.
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
cr
Tu Stultus Es
HaiBai
so does the dollar bill and the pledge of allegiance.  go get that fixed first, and then you'll have a right to complain a banner that contains a message that would be a great way for anybody to live by

personally, i wouldn't care if the banner started with dear allah or any other god you can think of.  because i don't care.  i wouldn't care if you started it with dear antichrist.  i dont understand how anybody could be such a whiny bitch because the banner contains 2 words that reflects a certain persons beliefs.  anybody who is that deeply affected by it should probably see a fucking therapist for having some sort of mental problem
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
wont let me post the whole thing
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
didnt read my post did you
Tu Stultus Es
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Put it on google docs and link us if you have a google account .
Xbone Stormsurgezz
HaiBai
jaywalking is also illegal.  place all of the heretics in jail!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard