13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

Spearhead wrote:

Kind of like Bush back in the day.
it's this partisan bullshit that will ruin this country. i'm glad someone else sees it too.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5475|Ventura, California
old concept is old

Herp derp did anybody forget they killed something like 3000-ish people? I'm all for bringing the troops dead now that Osama is dead but no need to pretend we're evil when we're JDAMing terrorists.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6718

-Sh1fty- wrote:

old concept is old

Herp derp did anybody forget they killed something like 3000-ish people? I'm all for bringing the troops dead now that Osama is dead but no need to pretend we're evil when we're JDAMing terrorists.
do you know why al qaeda did the 9/11 attacks?
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX

-Sh1fty- wrote:

old concept is old

You don't understand it I see.

Ron Paul makes sense on foreign policy, not much else unfortunately.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Overly simplistic comparison, ignoring obvious differences that would make the two situations like apples and armchairs in nearly every other respect other than "foreign troops are here doing things we don't like."

One would hope it would get you to think about the entirety of the issue, not the faulty argument being put forth. Some of Ron Paul's positions have merit WRT foreign policy, but not many. That commercial doesn't help, tbh.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6407|North Carolina

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

people want something new.  they want to hear candidates talk about stuff other than what the mainstream (for lack of a better descriptor) people talk about.  Of course people are going to latch on to that.  Its why Ross Perot and Jesse Ventura and Ralph Nader were popular when they tried to break into the race.
Whether it's Ron Paul, Gary Johnson, or Ralph Nader, people should vote for the "outside" candidates.

All the establishment ones suck horribly.

Granted, not voting is an option too.  With the Electoral College, the presidential election is kind of a joke anyway.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6001|...

Turquoise wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

people want something new.  they want to hear candidates talk about stuff other than what the mainstream (for lack of a better descriptor) people talk about.  Of course people are going to latch on to that.  Its why Ross Perot and Jesse Ventura and Ralph Nader were popular when they tried to break into the race.
Whether it's Ron Paul, Gary Johnson, or Ralph Nader, people should vote for the "outside" candidates.

Granted, not voting is an option too.  With the Electoral College, the presidential election is kind of a joke anyway.
Watched the florida debate yesterday and I'd have to agree they 'suck horribly'. 90% was typical party line blabber and Romney aiming below Gingrich's belt.
inane little opines
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5475|Ventura, California

Cybargs wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

old concept is old

do you know why al qaeda did the 9/11 attacks?
cause they're jealous their women don't wear bikinis
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5752|شمال
Go Ron Go..
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
jord
+2,382|6680|The North, beyond the wall.
If you're one of those people who uses their vote to vote for "the lesser of two evils" Ron paul is probably the only realistic candidate for such a voter. As far as I can tell, as a brit.

The video is overly simplistic but it's a step in the right direction, kinda, sorta.

Last edited by jord (2012-01-25 09:53:01)

Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6691|Tampa Bay Florida
I think more than anything it just illustrates the philosophy of non-interventionism.  Anti-war people have been saying those things for years now.  It looks like the campaigns attempt to court "middle of the road" anti-war voters, like independents and maybe some liberals.

Last edited by Spearhead (2012-01-25 12:35:21)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
FEOS
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Turquoise wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

So you're all about Obama getting re-elected, then?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

FEOS wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

So you're all about Obama getting re-elected, then?
Watch the video I posted above. It doesn't really matter who you vote for.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
FEOS
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Very "Overton Window"-ish.

But even if Paul were elected, overall policies wouldn't change. It's the entrenched bureaucrats who control the implementation of policy (or lack thereof). Those graybeards aren't going anywhere...their union is too good.
― Albert Einstein

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

FEOS wrote:

But even if Paul were elected, overall policies wouldn't change. It's the entrenched bureaucrats who control the implementation of policy (or lack thereof). Those graybeards aren't going anywhere...their union is too good.
Which is why I don't understand why people go on about electibility, or why he sticks in so many peoples craw. The president is largely just a figurehead office. Unless both houses of Congress are wiped out by an irate Japanese pilot the status quo will remain.
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
The flaw in the argument is that most people wouldn't care if Texas were occupied by the Chinese.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
eleven bravo
+1,399|5261|foggy bottom
this thread is funny
Tu Stultus Es
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

Another ridiculous Ron Paul commercial

It's funny how the guy who is trying to come off as the voice of reason whose followers hail him as a messiah, puts out the most infantile ads. I wonder why.

eleven bravo wrote:

he appeals to idiots.
You might be onto something.
Christbane
+51|6236
meh  they can have texas
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6407|North Carolina

FEOS wrote:

Wouldn't this echo what Jay just said?

I could choose to vote for Romney (who's pretty obviously going to get the nomination), but that wouldn't be much different from Obama.

Even if Gingrich won it, it would be the same (although he's actually worse than Obama).

So, all I'm left with is two choices.

1) Voting for candidates like Paul that don't have a real chance at winning but who represent something different from the status quo.

2) Not voting at all, since it's rather futile to begin with.

Admittedly, #2 is looking more attractive over time.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
So Jay what do you think about the Citizens United ruling?  Just curious.

Last edited by Spearhead (2012-01-26 12:00:40)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Spearhead wrote:

So Jay what do you think about the Citizens United ruling?  Just curious.
I think its a win for free speech. Corporations get their say regardless, now its just more open. Republicans were at a disadvantage before because they get zero union camapign contributions, now its fairly even. Dems only whine because it fucked up thei artificial competitive advantage: see MoveOn among others.
-Frederick Bastiat
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
So you do not believe it negatively affects third party campaign financing?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Spearhead wrote:

So you do not believe it negatively affects third party campaign financing?
Why would it?
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard