+93|6688|Alaska, mother fucker.

heggs wrote:

iceman785 wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Screw American cars

I want this! How much can I get one for? Subaru Impreza wrx sti 2004

QFE

strong grippy AWD and tuned turbo engine, you will destroy the transmission & drivetrain if you're abusive in the driver seat.
Strong engine/turbo and huge traction from the AWD system will eat the parts in between them, if the driver tells them to.

Normal to spirited driving, they're immensely reliable (my 1996 has over 300,000 miles on the original engine and transmission)
Start doing clutch dumps, missing gear shifts, over-RPM launches, or otherwise wanna-be Speed Racer bullshit, you'll break it.
The six-speeds these things can come with are solid, you can launch the fuck out of them and drive them really hard and they'll stay good.

The 5 speeds are shit though, I personally know a couple WRX owners who have destroyed their 5 speed trannies just doing auto-X and the occasional run up a windy mountain road...  They then bought the 6 speed tranny to prevent the 5 speed thing from happening again.
By 5 speeds, you mean 5 speed manual transmission, correct? Just curious because I'm probably going to be getting a Subaru Outback pretty soon here. Can't have the six speed manual on account of the missus, so I have to go with the Lineartronic CVT transmission instead. This is fine, gives me the option to drive it like it's manual if I want. I have that in my Jetta and it's fun as hell.
Yeah the 5sp MT. Idk about their auto-trannies, assume they're pretty good. But it's an outback, not like you're gonna be out street racing n shit lol.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6825|Nårvei

-CARNIFEX-[LOC] wrote:

Jay wrote:

That recall was politically fueled. There was what? One instance of an accelerator sticking? Funny how all the politicians talking about the dangers of Toyota products were Democrats from Rust Belt states I'd buy a Toyota over any American vehicle without a second thought.
It wasn't just one.

But the one that DID get all the headlines, involved a highway patrolman (read - someone who knows how to drive, especially in emergency situations) who had his brakes fail from trying so hard to stop the car, and eventually died in a fiery inferno (with his family as well?) after a horrifying high-speed scenario.

I'm pretty sure it gave Rupert Murdoch a semi when he heard about it.
It wasn't just one ... actually there was none!

In all cases of Toyota and/or Lexus where the accelerator pedal got stuck it was because of the floormats in the car and not because of technical issues with the car!

When a new Toyota or Lexus is sold to a customer they have the same procedure all over the world when it comes to installing rubber or textile floormats being secured with hooks to the floor to prevent them from slinding in under the accelerator.

In the case of the highway patrolman the car in question didn't even have the correct set of floormats installed!

And as a sidenote: A fact that slipped the mind of those that blamed Toyota before they were dismissed ... the accelerators in most new Toyota and Lexus are made in the US by a US owned company by US workers.
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5489|Ventura, California

iceman785 wrote:

heggs wrote:

iceman785 wrote:

The six-speeds these things can come with are solid, you can launch the fuck out of them and drive them really hard and they'll stay good.

The 5 speeds are shit though, I personally know a couple WRX owners who have destroyed their 5 speed trannies just doing auto-X and the occasional run up a windy mountain road...  They then bought the 6 speed tranny to prevent the 5 speed thing from happening again.
By 5 speeds, you mean 5 speed manual transmission, correct? Just curious because I'm probably going to be getting a Subaru Outback pretty soon here. Can't have the six speed manual on account of the missus, so I have to go with the Lineartronic CVT transmission instead. This is fine, gives me the option to drive it like it's manual if I want. I have that in my Jetta and it's fun as hell.
Yeah the 5sp MT. Idk about their auto-trannies, assume they're pretty good. But it's an outback, not like you're gonna be out street racing n shit lol.
haha, those new outbacks are pretty sweet though, they almost look like SUVs.

https://hybridcarspecs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/2011-Subaru-Outback-Front-Exterior-View.jpg

So how cheap could I get a good Subaru Impreza wrx sti (don't even know what those two acronyms mean) used?

one of these kinds

https://www.rpmgo.com/images2009/Subaru-Impreza_opt.jpg
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5601

Do yourself a favor- don't buy a used Sti. People beat the hell out of those. You would end up dealing with issue after issue if you get one.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
No way I could afford a brand new one for at least several more years and many jobs later so

If I got a mechanic friend of mine to check out the car before I bought it would that do me any good?
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5601

Problems pop up. It would help yeah. But don't be surprised when things start to go on your car early. Just save your money.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6647|949

Macbeth wrote:

Do yourself a favor- don't buy a used Sti. People beat the hell out of those. You would end up dealing with issue after issue if you get one.
That's pretty much the reason I didn't buy one a few years ago. I was looking to buy used and most of the three year old models I found had like 100k miles on them.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6121|eXtreme to the maX

-Sh1fty- wrote:

No way I could afford a brand new one for at least several more years and many jobs later so

If I got a mechanic friend of mine to check out the car before I bought it would that do me any good?
Buy an old Toyota and don't worry about what people think.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6682

-Sh1fty- wrote:

They have always been true all-wheel-drive SUV's.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6647|949

Yep, the outback is pretty much the best all-purpose car you can buy. I've been looking into them lately. Not sure if I want to fork over the dough for a new one though
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
My mom is buying a used outback soon.

Ilocano, I thought they were considered AWD station wagons
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6682

-Sh1fty- wrote:

My mom is buying a used outback soon.

Ilocano, I thought they were considered AWD station wagons
Raised chassis AWD station wagon => crossover SUV.
Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6748|Cambridge, England

-Sh1fty- wrote:

iceman785 wrote:

heggs wrote:

So how cheap could I get a good Subaru Impreza wrx sti (don't even know what those two acronyms mean) used?

one of these kinds
about 5k

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3530019.htm
HITNRUNXX
+220|6725|Oklahoma City

Macbeth wrote:

This is good advice from the research I have been doing.  People don't buy these for just the "everyday driver" aspect, and then sell them a couple years later... The everyday drivers keep them a long long time... The people that sell them within a couple years look like they are normally the people that bought them as toys, and treated them as such.

From checking some specialty forums and asking around, you can typically at least calculate in the cost of a new transmission on top of the price of your car, even if it "checks out" it may have just have a temporary bandaid put in place.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6725|Oklahoma City

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Needs before wants.

Get you a good car that you can pay off that gets you where you need to go... Buy something with too many problems or out of your price range and you will end up like the rest of the country... In debt up to your eyeballs before you ever even get started.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5717|College Park, MD
buy something like an old toyota or a saturn LS2. my friend has one and it gets amazing gas mileage and it doesn't really have any problems.

it's no STI but it's a lot cheaper. and I don't think you've taken into account the fact that insurance companies will charge you both arms and both legs to insure a sports car at your age.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5194|Sydney

HITNRUNXX wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Needs before wants.

Get you a good car that you can pay off that gets you where you need to go... Buy something with too many problems or out of your price range and you will end up like the rest of the country... In debt up to your eyeballs before you ever even get started.
This.

Your first car should be old, cheap and hopefully somewhat reliable. Don't get anything flashy or "cool", literally just get a shitbox to get you from A-B. That way your first fuckups in it (accidently reversing into shit or whatever) won't mean anything. Plus it means you can get better access to work = more money = better second car.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
The Impreza wasn't going to be my first car, but then I saw that guy's post about one for £5000. I bet that thing was driven to an early grave for that price. If I can get a good one for $5000 and if I had the money than why not for a first car? I understand the crashing issue though.

No worries, I'm being smart about not buying what I can't afford. That's why I'm asking for a cheap STI if that's possible. Otherwise I was going to get a Corolla or a Focus or something. There's a Ford Focus for $3500 nearby that looks pretty good.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5194|Sydney
Get the Focus. Toyotas are reliable, economical and if something goes wrong the parts are easy to get and won't cost and arm and a leg.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6515|so randum
focus for sure. post a pic of the body type you'd get
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6515|so randum
if it's one of the euro ones i cannot stress enough how good they are to drive
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

-Sh1fty- wrote:

The Impreza wasn't going to be my first car, but then I saw that guy's post about one for £5000. I bet that thing was driven to an early grave for that price. If I can get a good one for $5000 and if I had the money than why not for a first car? I understand the crashing issue though.

No worries, I'm being smart about not buying what I can't afford. That's why I'm asking for a cheap STI if that's possible. Otherwise I was going to get a Corolla or a Focus or something. There's a Ford Focus for $3500 nearby that looks pretty good.
You don't want an STI, the base model Impreza is excellent value - same dynamics just a little less power - a lot cheaper and less likely to have been thrashed.

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Yep, the outback is pretty much the best all-purpose car you can buy. I've been looking into them lately. Not sure if I want to fork over the dough for a new one though
I like the Forester, at least the 2005 model, better.
The Outback seemed pretty small inside, and it costs more than the Forester I didn't see the point of paying more for less.
The current model Outback is very similar to the 2005 Forester though.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2012-01-14 18:47:57)

Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5717|College Park, MD

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I don't think you've taken into account the fact that insurance companies will charge you both arms and both legs to insure a sports car at your age.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jaekus wrote:

Your first car should be old, cheap and hopefully somewhat reliable. Don't get anything flashy or "cool", literally just get a shitbox to get you from A-B. That way your first fuckups in it (accidently reversing into shit or whatever) won't mean anything. Plus it means you can get better access to work = more money = better second car.
Its also less likely to get stolen, and insurance should be lower.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6696|Disaster Free Zone

Dilbert_X wrote:

The current model Outback is very similar to the 2005 Forester though.
Except the forester doesn't look hideous.

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Well it wasn't an sti, but just a standard wrx.

Last edited by DrunkFace (2012-01-14 19:28:16)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard