Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6434|North Carolina

RTHKI wrote:

european cars dont cost a fortune. around here there are few because there are few euro dealers besides merc/porsche/bmw/audi and the cheaper companies.

also the monaro is uggly
Euro cars don't cost a fortune, but their upkeep can.

In general, American car parts and repairs are cheaper (at least, they are here).

Japanese cars tend to be cheaper to repair as well.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6134|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

despise hatchbacks. don't understand the appeal at all. if you need that much trunk space buy an suv
Most people want/need/should have a sedan, a hatchback is useful for the rare occasion they need to shift something big and aren't so stupid as to run an SUV all year in case they need to push a snow-plough.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6761|Cambridge, England
A hatchback is cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, smaller and often more practical than a saloon.

At least thats why they are popular over here, where petrol is £1.40 per litre. ($11.37 / us gal)
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6418

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

$11.37 / us gal
I just paid $3.17
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
rdx-fx
+955|6620
Well, if Ford keeps this up, I may have to consider them if I'm in the market for a new car in a few years.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5730|College Park, MD
i'm not a big fan of the new fusion's design, mainly the front. it looks like one of those toothless sharks.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6766|Oxferd Ohire
orrr aston martin
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
rdx-fx
+955|6620

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

i'm not a big fan of the new fusion's design, mainly the front. it looks like one of those toothless sharks.
It's a step in the right direction.

Ford is even trying to put AWD in midsize sedans.

They're already better looking than the 4th gen Impreza and current Legacy designs from Subaru.

Now, if they can establish consistency and reliability in their designs...
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6766|Oxferd Ohire
they have reliability...ford of europe
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
rdx-fx
+955|6620

RTHKI wrote:

Still a long ways to go before they're as reliable than a BMW, Mercedes, or Subaru.

How many car manufacturers do you know of where 300,000 miles on original engine/transmission parts is typical?

Last edited by rdx-fx (2012-01-11 15:42:36)

FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6529|so randum
well yeah, but then again like for like in a chassis you aren't paying the same for a ford as you do a beemer.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
rdx-fx
+955|6620

FatherTed wrote:

well yeah, but then again like for like in a chassis you aren't paying the same for a ford as you do a beemer.
True.

Subaru also isn't as crash-worthy as an Autobahn bred BMW or Mercedes, but they're not tin cans either.

Still, between all the US manufacturers, the only brand I'd consider owning is a Ford.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6738|Oklahoma City

rdx-fx wrote:

RTHKI wrote:

Still a long ways to go before they're as reliable than a BMW, Mercedes, or Subaru.

How many car manufacturers do you know of where 300,000 miles on original engine/transmission parts is typical?
FULLY loaded Ford Fusion Hybrid: $33,500
FULLY loaded Ford Fusion Sport AWD: $29,000

CHEAPEST model of Mercedes: $35,000, the next class up is $51,000

Definitely not an equivalent comparison... lol
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6529|so randum
plus merc's aren't actually all that reliable, would always pick an audi or bmw over one.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6745
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5730|College Park, MD
his audi is tainted by the Virginia inspection sticker on his windshield
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Reciprocity
+721|6609|the dank(super) side of Oregon
European cars aren't too bad.  Just don't own one beyond the factory warranty.  At least in the US.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6134|eXtreme to the maX

HITNRUNXX wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

RTHKI wrote:

If you pay a lot of money for tacky gadgets in a basically poor car, then compare it with a Merc, then you're a mong.

"zomg if I totally pimp my Daihatsu it'll cost more than a Porsche, imma buy a pimped Daihatsu"
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
iceman785
+93|6701|Alaska, mother fucker.

rdx-fx wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Screw American cars

I want this! How much can I get one for? Subaru Impreza wrx sti 2004

iceman785 wrote:

Careful  with these. The sti has a pretty good tranny, if its the 6 speed then its absolutely solid. But the 5 speed the WRX's come with... Couple AWD launches and you can kiss that tranny good bye.

Also the insurance for a male your age is gonna be around 220+ a month... 

But they get pretty decent gas milage if you don't hammer it all the time.
QFE

strong grippy AWD and tuned turbo engine, you will destroy the transmission & drivetrain if you're abusive in the driver seat.
Strong engine/turbo and huge traction from the AWD system will eat the parts in between them, if the driver tells them to.

Normal to spirited driving, they're immensely reliable (my 1996 has over 300,000 miles on the original engine and transmission)
Start doing clutch dumps, missing gear shifts, over-RPM launches, or otherwise wanna-be Speed Racer bullshit, you'll break it.
The six-speeds these things can come with are solid, you can launch the fuck out of them and drive them really hard and they'll stay good.

The 5 speeds are shit though, I personally know a couple WRX owners who have destroyed their 5 speed trannies just doing auto-X and the occasional run up a windy mountain road...  They then bought the 6 speed tranny to prevent the 5 speed thing from happening again.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6738|Oklahoma City

Dilbert_X wrote:

HITNRUNXX wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

If you pay a lot of money for tacky gadgets in a basically poor car, then compare it with a Merc, then you're a mong.

"zomg if I totally pimp my Daihatsu it'll cost more than a Porsche, imma buy a pimped Daihatsu"
That was my point DX... You can't compare the two, they are in different classes.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6434|North Carolina

rdx-fx wrote:

RTHKI wrote:

Most insurance records show that Ford has a better reliability record on most models vs. European cars.

Overall, three Japanese automakers have the best reliability ratings - Mazda, Honda, and Toyota.

Ford isn't far behind them.   European automakers tend to be mediocre on reliability ratings, although they usually are better than GM and Chrysler.

The main weakness in the design of a lot of European cars is the electrical system.  For some reason, European manufacturers tend to cheap out on wiring, which can lead to some expensive repairs later.

Also, it doesn't help that the parts for BMWs, Mercedes, and Audi tend to be rather expensive.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6529|so randum
can testify to that ^ my dads had two audis, neither had any mechanical problems, both had something wrong in the wiring that made them munch through new headlights
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6417|New York

iceman785 wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Screw American cars

I want this! How much can I get one for? Subaru Impreza wrx sti 2004

iceman785 wrote:

Careful  with these. The sti has a pretty good tranny, if its the 6 speed then its absolutely solid. But the 5 speed the WRX's come with... Couple AWD launches and you can kiss that tranny good bye.

Also the insurance for a male your age is gonna be around 220+ a month... 

But they get pretty decent gas milage if you don't hammer it all the time.
QFE

strong grippy AWD and tuned turbo engine, you will destroy the transmission & drivetrain if you're abusive in the driver seat.
Strong engine/turbo and huge traction from the AWD system will eat the parts in between them, if the driver tells them to.

Normal to spirited driving, they're immensely reliable (my 1996 has over 300,000 miles on the original engine and transmission)
Start doing clutch dumps, missing gear shifts, over-RPM launches, or otherwise wanna-be Speed Racer bullshit, you'll break it.
The six-speeds these things can come with are solid, you can launch the fuck out of them and drive them really hard and they'll stay good.

The 5 speeds are shit though, I personally know a couple WRX owners who have destroyed their 5 speed trannies just doing auto-X and the occasional run up a windy mountain road...  They then bought the 6 speed tranny to prevent the 5 speed thing from happening again.
By 5 speeds, you mean 5 speed manual transmission, correct? Just curious because I'm probably going to be getting a Subaru Outback pretty soon here. Can't have the six speed manual on account of the missus, so I have to go with the Lineartronic CVT transmission instead. This is fine, gives me the option to drive it like it's manual if I want. I have that in my Jetta and it's fun as hell.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5386|London, England

FatherTed wrote:

can testify to that ^ my dads had two audis, neither had any mechanical problems, both had something wrong in the wiring that made them munch through new headlights
My fiancees old Jetta used to eat through tail lights. Lots of electrical issues with VW.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6417|New York

Jay wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

My fiancees old Jetta used to eat through tail lights. Lots of electrical issues with VW.
I guess I've gotten lucky so far with mine (2009). My friend had a VW Golf awhile ago and it had an electrical problem (car was absolutely dead) that VW techs couldn't even fix. He had it taken to like three different shops with no luck. I think there must have been a short somewhere that couldn't be found.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard