Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

So since Tim Tebow is the NFL version of Shifty how much can we attack him? I know it's not really nice to attack people on their faith, I guess. But if he makes such a show of it and acts like a tool (praying on the sideline, painting bible verses on his face, making abortion commercials etc.) can we make fun of him and his faith? Or should we be really nice about it respect him and his religion and not be mean about it?

Also didn't the bible say some stuff about not making a show of faith? One of the bible verses I like (aside from the things about killing witches and other fun stuff) is Romans 14:22- The faith that you have, keep between yourself and God.

What do you think?
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6402|'Murka

What's the purpose of making fun of him?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

Because it could be funny? Would you like me to link you to the ton of junk written in newspapers, broadcasted on television, and posted online bitching about people making fun of Tim Tebow?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX
-> EE Plz
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

You can make fun of him all you want Macbeth, I've put my white wig and gavel back in my desk drawer.
FEOS
+1,182|6402|'Murka

I'm fully aware of all that.

I wonder if there were an NFL player just as vocally devout in his Muslim, Buddhist, Jewish, or <insert one> faith if he would be as relentlessly attacked for it.

I'm betting not.

Who's he hurting?

How is it funny?

Is he telling anyone else they need to believe as he does? No. He's simply professing his own faith--nothing else.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5693|College Park, MD
this should be in EE, and I don't get why people hate Tebow

Vick kills dogs? No problem he did his time
Donte Stallworth kills a guy? No problem he did his time
Tebow prays? FUCKIN ASSHOLE!
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

There was a basketball player named Mahmoud Abdul Rauf who turned his back during the national anthem. He got massive amounts of airtime and shit talked for that. Good thing I didn't take that bet or you'd owe me approximately one cookie, FEOS

The league actually suspended him for it and forced him to stop doing it.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5465|Ventura, California

Macbeth wrote:

Also didn't the bible say some stuff about not making a show of faith? One of the bible verses I like (aside from the things about killing witches and other fun stuff) is Romans 14:22- The faith that you have, keep between yourself and God.

What do you think?
Don't take it out of context.

Don't forget the verse that says to go out and preach the Gospel to all the people.

If you make fun of somebody for their faith you're an ass. Nobody has any respect these days.

The Bible also says to honor God in all things. Tebow is doing this by praying before games, giving thanks for a score, etc.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5991|...
It was totally unexpected that he would post after you equated your thread subject to him ey
inane little opines
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

What do you think?

Don't forget the verse that says to go out and preach the Gospel to all the people.

If you make fun of somebody for their faith you're an ass. Nobody has any respect these days.

The Bible also says to honor God in all things. Tebow is doing this by praying before games, giving thanks for a score, etc.
the general comments i've seen and heard on sports talk radio are directed towards him making a big deal about his faith, not the faith itself.  It's because he's putting it out there and seemingly rubbing it in people's faces.

What he needs to do is develop some kind of praise Jesus touchdown dance.  Thinking maybe pretending to walk on water or raising one of his teammates from the dead.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

Macbeth be trollin'

"Thanks for the TD God."

Meanwhile, in famine ravaged Africa...
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
FEOS
+1,182|6402|'Murka

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

There was a basketball player named Mahmoud Abdul Rauf who turned his back during the national anthem. He got massive amounts of airtime and shit talked for that. Good thing I didn't take that bet or you'd owe me approximately one cookie, FEOS

Did he do that because of his religion or because of political views (though with Islam, it is often difficult to extricate the two)?

I still don't see that as a slam dunk, case closed, no further discussion on the topic, argument against my point.
― Albert Einstein

-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6650|BC, Canada
Thread was stupid from get go, shifty posted and it became more so...
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

FEOS wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Did he do that because of his religion or because of political views (though with Islam, it is often difficult to extricate the two)?

I still don't see that as a slam dunk, case closed, no further discussion on the topic, argument against my point.
pretty much the same (religion/political), just like Tebow (taking part in Focus on the Family super bowl ad in addition to religious messages).  Shaun Green and Sandy Koufax were given shit for being jewish.  Steve Young was given shit for being Mormon.  Sports media thrives on creating stories.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6771|Great Brown North

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

What do you think?

lol, you spout off about gays one day, and then speak of respect......right
FEOS
+1,182|6402|'Murka

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

FEOS wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

pretty much the same (religion/political), just like Tebow (taking part in Focus on the Family super bowl ad in addition to religious messages).  Shaun Green and Sandy Koufax were given shit for being jewish.  Steve Young was given shit for being Mormon.  Sports media thrives on creating stories.
Having it mentioned =/= being given shit. Certainly not to the degree that Tebow has received. It's completely unwarranted, imo. I'm no church-going Bible-thumper by any stretch. I just don't see the problem with the guy professing his faith. He believes that his abilities are a gift from his God and he is very thankful for it. It's actually sort of refreshing in the mememememe-centric professional sports world.
― Albert Einstein

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Tebow is like a proto-space marine. In the Emperor's name, TO THE END ZONE!
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

FEOS wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Sports media is a 24/7 thing now. I have no problem saying had the media been the same back then it would have created the same type of story lines. I think you're crazy if you think it's only a Christian thing
FEOS
+1,182|6402|'Murka

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Sports media is a 24/7 thing now. I have no problem saying had the media been the same back then it would have created the same type of story lines. I think you're crazy if you think it's only a Christian thing
ESPN was 24/7 back when Steve Young was playing, you know. We've had players convert to Islam in various sports. They've done bit pieces on their conversion and devoutness, but they were serious...certainly not mocking in any way.

What's crazy about looking at facts and coming to conclusions objectively?
― Albert Einstein

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

show me your facts.

ESPN (and sports media, especially sports radio) was nowhere near the same 20 years ago...10 years ago.  You're crazy if you believe that.

Craaaaaazy I tell ya
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6455|cuntshitlake

FEOS wrote:

I wonder if there were an NFL player just as vocally devout in his Muslim, Buddhist, Jewish, or <insert one> faith if he would be as relentlessly attacked for it.

I'm betting not.
I am pretty sure they would. Probably more enthusiastically.

The problems here isn't his faith here, extreme atheists are just as laughable when they do stupid shit. It's the attention whoring and the "rubbing it on everyone's face" -part of his faith that gets on people. Would you not laugh at a muslim player bowing towards Mecca on the field?
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
FEOS
+1,182|6402|'Murka

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

show me your facts.

ESPN (and sports media) was nowhere near the same 20 years ago...10 years ago.  You're crazy if you believe that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espn

ESPN was launched in 1979

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Young

Steve Young played in the NFL from 85-99.

As to the focus on Christianity vs other religions in sports:

http://www.mrc.org/cmi/cmi/articles/201 … ports.html
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/paul-wilso … -his-faith

That's just a few.

If you need more, let me know.
― Albert Einstein

FEOS
+1,182|6402|'Murka

DUnlimited wrote:

FEOS wrote:

I'm betting not.
I am pretty sure they would. Probably more enthusiastically.

The problems here isn't his faith here, extreme atheists are just as laughable when they do stupid shit. It's the attention whoring and the "rubbing it on everyone's face" -part of his faith that gets on people. Would you not laugh at a muslim player bowing towards Mecca on the field?
How is he "attention whoring" and "rubbing it in everyone's face" exactly?

That's the part I don't understand. He takes a knee in the end zone (as do many other players). He takes a knee on the side line and visibly prays (as do many other players). He thanks his "personal Lord and Savior" first and foremost (as do many other athletes from many other sports when starting interviews).

Again--what's the deal? How is he really that different in the grand scheme of things?
― Albert Einstein

SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6560|Mountains of NC

I must have missed the part when Tim handed out miniature bibles to everyone in the stands

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c8/Carlos-Smith.jpg/220px-Carlos-Smith.jpg
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard