heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6410|New York
Nope, doesn't make me mad. I could care less what you do. I don't know you and never will, so I have no emotional connection to you or what you do with yourself.

I was merely explaining how things worked because it seemed to me, based on what you had written, that you were under the incorrect assumption that you own all the software you install on your computer. The simple fact is that if you agree to an EULA, you're agreeing that you have purchased a license to use said software, and that you do NOT own the software at all.

You need to understand the reality and separate that from what you think should be the reality.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6681|BC, Canada
What heggs said.

itt a person who thinks the EULA is nothing more than a box you check when downloading.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5200|Sydney

heggs wrote:

Nope, doesn't make me mad. I could care less what you do. I don't know you and never will, so I have no emotional connection to you or what you do with yourself.

I was merely explaining how things worked because it seemed to me, based on what you had written, that you were under the incorrect assumption that you own all the software you install on your computer. The simple fact is that if you agree to an EULA, you're agreeing that you have purchased a license to use said software, and that you do NOT own the software at all.

You need to understand the reality and separate that from what you think should be the reality.
He's 17. I too thought I knew everything at that age. That usually changes once you enter your 20s.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6654|949

Jaekus wrote:

heggs wrote:

He's 17. I too thought I knew everything at that age. That usually changes once you enter your 20s.
From what I've read over the last few pages, he knows its wrong. He just doesn't care.

At least hes acknowledging it's wrong. A lot of people don't think there's anything wrong with pirating.
TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|6003|Toronto
Much as I oppose piracy in moral terms, I can't blame pirates for it entirely.
Take for instance the COD series, the most pirated.

You pay 65 dollars in store for a game in which you only play a six-hour singleplayer campaign before ragequitting the online morass of 12 year-olds?

Not going to happen. If games increased their value (timewise and qualitywise--just think of how long you spent beating the Mario series, or even Goldeneye) correspondingly to their prices, then yes, I could easily condemn pirates. It just strikes me as though the industry is taking advantage of their consumer base's willingness to trust their product, and are surprised when people expect that trust to be justified.
I like pie.
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6482|UK
People shouldn't go around blindly buying shit re hashes. Piracy is wrong you'd complain if you didn't get paid at work. Why shouldn't it be the same here. I'm pretty sure most people have done it in their lives.
mikkel
+383|6623
Piracy is ridiculous. It may be a consequence of lower quality and greedier middlemen, but all piracy does is give those middlemen legislative pull. If you don't like what they're doing, then don't buy their product. There are plenty of people waiting to sell you $30 games of a higher quality independent of the traditional publishing establishment. The only thing standing in their way is you.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5565|Toronto
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
TSI
+247|6003|Toronto

mikkel wrote:

Piracy is ridiculous. It may be a consequence of lower quality and greedier middlemen, but all piracy does is give those middlemen legislative pull. If you don't like what they're doing, then don't buy their product. There are plenty of people waiting to sell you $30 games of a higher quality independent of the traditional publishing establishment. The only thing standing in their way is you.
No, see, I like PART of their product: for instance, the SP campaign in MW3 was great. I hated the rest of it.
I would, and do, pay $50-80 for games that I fully enjoy. BF3, for instance. But I'm not going to pay that for the six hours of MW3's SP campaign.

An approach which would suit me more would be to only pay for the part of the game you like (this only really works on a SP/MP divide--very easy on a COD-style game). Bad parts sell less, get less developed, and the game is more reactive to gamers' tastes. Even better would be a sort of rental system: I only played the six hours of MW3, I will never touch it again. If they'd charged me, say, $20, and I could no longer play the game once I'd played it for whatever time, that'd be perfect.

The other issue is DRM. Dirt 3 is so mired in it that I haven't been able to play it at all, despite purchasing it. This is what drives me over the edge.
I like pie.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5380|London, England

TSI wrote:

mikkel wrote:

No, see, I like PART of their product: for instance, the SP campaign in MW3 was great. I hated the rest of it.
I would, and do, pay $50-80 for games that I fully enjoy. BF3, for instance. But I'm not going to pay that for the six hours of MW3's SP campaign.

An approach which would suit me more would be to only pay for the part of the game you like (this only really works on a SP/MP divide--very easy on a COD-style game). Bad parts sell less, get less developed, and the game is more reactive to gamers' tastes. Even better would be a sort of rental system: I only played the six hours of MW3, I will never touch it again. If they'd charged me, say, $20, and I could no longer play the game once I'd played it for whatever time, that'd be perfect.

The other issue is DRM. Dirt 3 is so mired in it that I haven't been able to play it at all, despite purchasing it. This is what drives me over the edge.
If you want games to be completely catered to your personal taste so that you never have to feel like you waste money, become a developer and write your own games. It's not an excuse to steal.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
TSI
+247|6003|Toronto

Jay wrote:

TSI wrote:

mikkel wrote:

If you want games to be completely catered to your personal taste so that you never have to feel like you waste money, become a developer and write your own games. It's not an excuse to steal.
I'm not saying that the game necessarily caters to my tastes or not--let's face it, if it didn't I wouldn't play it. What I'm saying is that I do not always want to have, and pay for, every aspect of the game (re: SP/MP).
Think of it as buying a car: you buy the car, but you don't necessarily want every single option with it. Hence, you pay for and get the ones you want, and not the ones you don't. Publishers have started to figure this out with DLCs.

That being said, I wouldn't say that all this excuses, or justifies, piracy. That, along with intrinsic human cheapness, is the rationale behind it.
I like pie.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6128|eXtreme to the maX
Cheapness would be not buying it and accepting you're not going to be playing it.

Piracy is something else.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6689

TSI wrote:

Jay wrote:

TSI wrote:

I'm not saying that the game necessarily caters to my tastes or not--let's face it, if it didn't I wouldn't play it. What I'm saying is that I do not always want to have, and pay for, every aspect of the game (re: SP/MP).
Think of it as buying a car: you buy the car, but you don't necessarily want every single option with it. Hence, you pay for and get the ones you want, and not the ones you don't. Publishers have started to figure this out with DLCs.

That being said, I wouldn't say that all this excuses, or justifies, piracy. That, along with intrinsic human cheapness, is the rationale behind it.
Buy game at release (I got MW3 for $20 off due to promo deal).  Play six hour SP campaign.  If I wanted to, I could have resold it to GameStop or Amazon for close to $40 within a month of release.  End result, SP for free.  Really, no excuse if you are just in it for the SP.  Obviously, get a console version for resale purposes, as SP wouldn't matter.
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6754|St. Andrews / Oslo

Uzique wrote:

you completely misunderstand the second hand market. people buy first edition vinyls to collect them. it completely leaves the artist's streams of revenue. people paying high prices for vinyl  makes collectors rich, not the first artist. aphex hasn't seen any money from his vinyls since they were last pressed by his record company. the minute they enter the second-hand / discogs marketplace, he makes nothing. aren't you an economic student? how are you so dumb? people only buy old vinyl for collecting purposes... it's basically like investing in stocks with some records - you know their value will increase over time. they don't even get played. they're just bought as collectible items-- objects. if someone wanted to buy his music they'd probably buy the mp3's (at best), netting him 0.0001% of that second-hand vinyl. or, worse, they'll download his music and will fork out for the 'antique' item (i.e. nothing will go to the original artist).
No, what I mean is that a solid used market does have a positive effect because it increases the value of the product to the guy buying it straight from Mr. Aphex Twin, thus meaning he'll be willing to pay more for it, i.e. more people are willing to purchase it.

Just look at Ilocano's 'buy it and sell it used when you're done, and it won't cost as much' thing. Without a good used market, he would probably not have bought the game in the first place.

The money you spend on a used CD doesn't directly support the artist (as you say, Aphex Twin doesn't recieve any of the money from my used purchase), but if the fact that a good used market means I can get more for it if I decide to sell it, then surely that may well persuade me to buy more of his (new) CDs.

This probably applied more pre-internet, when youtubing music before you buy it wasn't as easy.. Still applies today though, I think.

(that's assuming people don't do the buy-rip-sell thing, which, for some reason, seems more kosher to people)

(not saying they'd necessarily be better off with or without a used market, just that a used market isn't inherently negative.. Far better than pirating, no doubt.)
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6292
Personally when it comes to films, tv shows etc I don't really care. I'll download something if I want to watch it. I'll buy something if I want to watch something I really like, or in a situation like old Futurama when it was cancelled. I bought all the original DVDs because I wanted them to make more. If it's big 'Hollywood Film #104920' I won't bat an eyelid.

PC games on the other hand I don't pirate. With big publishers it's because I'd like them to know that there is an audience for their games that buys them. If nobody buys them they won't bother with the PC and stick to console games (whether or not piracy is the reason for low sales of a big game, the fact that the publisher thinks it is means that it is the reason they give PC less support). With small developers I simply want to support them so they can create more games in the future. When a small developer makes something good that gets pirated a lot and not many sales, it poentially means he goes out of business forever.

It's just about supporting content creators. If you like something you should let the creators/publishers know by buying it. Otherwise, they can see no market for it.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2012-01-10 07:03:22)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard