HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5483|Bolingbrook, Illinois
no and i don't make stupid arguments about them because they don't affect me in any sort of way?
HITNRUNXX
+220|6709|Oklahoma City
HaiBai wins. /Stupid off topic conversation.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6654

Christianity rules our nation. We're just fighting the oppressors. We're standing up against oppressors like Kim Jong-Il.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

HaiBai wrote:

ITT atheists debate a topic they know nothing about
How many books have you read about religion? Yours and others? How many comparative theology lectures have you sat through? Above your typical Sunday school drudge that most of us have done. How many essays have you written about a concept or idea or history from a Catholic, Protestant, or Muslim perspective? How many critiques of Christian ethics have you read? Ever read anything by early Christian philosophers?

I have read a few books about them. Sat through a few lectures. Argued things from religious perspectives. Have read a ton of arguments for and against Christian ethical stances. I have also read some stuff by people like Thomas Aquinas.

So do you still think your Sunday church attendance makes you a better authority than me or someone else with at least my level of education and knowledge?
HaiBai
macbeth, i'm talking about idiotic statements such as this

-Whiteroom- wrote:

Dont forget the "If you dont do exactly as I say you go to hell forever" part.
or listening to dilbert or adams talk about how the bible doesn't allow tattoos
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6410|'Murka

Uzique wrote:

"brutal" dictator? lol. are you forgetting the great flood? sodom and gomorrah? lol god has a way better killstreak than kim. be real dude.
How did I know?

Oh wait. It's all fiction, right? Versus a real brutal dictator. Wasn't that the whole point of mocking it to begin with?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6658|BC, Canada
Who are the athiests?
HITNRUNXX
+220|6709|Oklahoma City

-Whiteroom- wrote:

Who are the athiests?
Usually they are the ones that want to randomly derail a thread with random trolling and/or personal attacks. Often though, those are the insecure Christians. It can be hard to tell. If you are lucky, you find a lot of atheists that aren't judgmental of other people's beliefs, and don't attack anyone, and a lot of Christians that are aren't judgmental of other people's beliefs, and don't attack anyone.

But let's face it, you are on the internet, and whatever YOU believe is WRONG.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6658|BC, Canada
Your statement is wrong. This the internets and you are right.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470
yeah i troll about god because i'm an insecure christian.

lmfao it's not homosexuality. reverse psychology doesn't quite apply to religious belief.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6658|BC, Canada
There are only christians and athiests in this world.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6774|Noizyland

So who controls the weather now that Kim has carked it?
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6658|BC, Canada
his son. I think.
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5753|Roma
His son will be so ronry
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
HITNRUNXX
+220|6709|Oklahoma City

Uzique wrote:

yeah i troll about god because i'm an insecure christian.

lmfao it's not homosexuality. reverse psychology doesn't quite apply to religious belief.
Reverse psychology has nothing to do with it. I know tons of people who are so insecure in their belief that that can't even hear any other religions exist without yelling and screaming and being pissed off because it puts little doubts in their mind. These are also usually the ones that claim they believe XYZ "because my preacher told me so" but have no actual faith on their own.

Otherwise, trolling and individual attacks are totally uncalled for. If you want to have a calm rational sharing of ideas with the total understanding that everyone may walk away disagreeing with you, but you are still fine with that, then that is cool.

If all you have is trash talking and trying to piss people off, and only YOU are ever right because what you believe is superior, therefore anyone who doesn't believe as you is inferior, then you have issues within your own belief system.

Off-off topic example: I had a friend who LOVED the movie Seven. She told me it was the most wonderful thing ever and made me watch it. I don't like that type of movie so I avoided it prior to this. Finally, I watched it with her. I didn't like it. She got pissed off and threw a temper tantrum, going as far as to call me names because I was apparently too stupid to get the movie. I didn't really care. Her berating me did not affect my opinion of the movie. I didn't feel forced to start believing it was awesome, just because she said so. I also didn't feel the need to berate her back for having a different opinion from me, although I could have had the exact same approach to it as her. Instead, I still don't like it, and she can like whatever she wants, it doesn't affect me.

I find most religious zealots (including ANTI-religion zealots) to be the same way.

I don't feel that way. I believe God made us with free will. That is to be respected. Our country (I realize not everyone here is from the USA) was founded on religious freedoms. That is to be respected. If you believe what I do, I respect you. If you don't, I respect you. I have never checked anyone's religious resume before considering them a friend. I believe what I believe. I am comfortable in what I believe. Respect me or don't, that is up to you, but either way, you are just some dude on the internet, and it doesn't really impact me, and I hope you have a happy and wonderful life, no matter what you believe.

This is something I have to work on in myself, to better be who and what I want to be.

And I know I quoted Uzique, but that was the chain of conversation, this isn't directed at him, it is just me sharing the way I feel.

/topic derailing.
jord
+2,382|6678|The North, beyond the wall.

Macbeth wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

ITT atheists debate a topic they know nothing about
How many books have you read about religion? Yours and others? How many comparative theology lectures have you sat through? Above your typical Sunday school drudge that most of us have done. How many essays have you written about a concept or idea or history from a Catholic, Protestant, or Muslim perspective? How many critiques of Christian ethics have you read? Ever read anything by early Christian philosophers?

I have read a few books about them. Sat through a few lectures. Argued things from religious perspectives. Have read a ton of arguments for and against Christian ethical stances. I have also read some stuff by people like Thomas Aquinas.

So do you still think your Sunday church attendance makes you a better authority than me or someone else with at least my level of education and knowledge?
Nice
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470
lol macbeth "my level of education and knowledge". theology prof itt. i like how he gets pissy whenever i discuss arts with authority, but as soon as there's a religious debate he's straight on it because he's read aquinas.

Last edited by Uzique (2011-12-22 14:36:48)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England

Uzique wrote:

lol macbeth "my level of education and knowledge". theology prof itt. i like how he gets pissy whenever i discuss arts with authority, but as soon as there's a religious debate he's straight on it because he's read aquinas.
I guffawed.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6323|Graz, Austria

-Whiteroom- wrote:

his son. I think.
Yeah, he inherited the weather powers together with the whole country and people.
Also, Yong-Un doesn't need to urinate and defecate from now on.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

Uzique wrote:

I got pissy because you were doing it in a thread about guns. The gun wank thread doesn't need another Uzi lecture/war against dilbert.

It's like me going into the rate the last movie thread and going on about the differences between different between realist and liberal foreign policy because someone mentioned the movie rules of engagement.

No gives a fuck
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470
and we really care what lectures you've attended, lol. it's like me showing up in that art thread and being like "bitches please, stop talking... have you sat in hundreds of hours of lectures? have you written theses on this shit? have you engaged with leading international scholars on this topic? no...".

"no gives a fuck"
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

I think someone mentioned art in the bf3 thread. You should go tell them they are wrong for a few pages
HaiBai

Uzique wrote:

and we really care what lectures you've attended, lol. it's like me showing up in that art thread and being like "bitches please, stop talking... have you sat in hundreds of hours of lectures? have you written theses on this shit? have you engaged with leading international scholars on this topic? no...".

"no gives a fuck"
you carry that personality in every single topic that you post in.  are you serious?
13/f/taiwan
+940|5698
watching a documentary where this guy goes into north korea with just a camera and really strict monitoring. RIP dear leader. you will be missed.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

Yeah a few years late on that VICE video

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard