_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6709|Riva, MD
Does this bill look likely to pass or not?

It's already passed the Senate I think and is awaiting a vote from the house if my information was straight.  Though Obama said he would veto the bill if it passed, but Congress can still override his veto if they choose to
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6403|'Murka

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/1 … e-delayed/

It's still in committee, and the vote in committee's been delayed indefinitely.

So it's not even out of the House yet.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6709|Riva, MD

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Also relevant (veto overrides): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Un … ial_vetoes
Very useful information but it looks like Congress is really getting paid off hard for this one with so many companies backing the bill so I feel like they'd really actually try to override it
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6772|Great Brown North
what the fuck america

why are people who are confused by computers allowed to vote on this shit
jsnipy
+3,276|6515|...

After ted stevens' horrible legendary rant they should have given a test before allowing members to vote on such topics. Fact is its less about technology and more about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6456|cuntshitlake

it's not like this is the first time politicians have the power to decide on things that are mismarketed to look good in the inexperienced eye. I still don't see it passing though.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

Pretty sure the US just passed indefinite military detention of American citizens without charge or trial.

If they will pass that, SOPA should be a forgone conclusion.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6709|Riva, MD

DUnlimited wrote:

it's not like this is the first time politicians have the power to decide on things that are mismarketed to look good in the inexperienced eye. I still don't see it passing though.
This wasn't even mismarketed to look good though, everyone on the internet(cuz the media sure isn't covering it, it's in their best interest of course) has been saying how obviously shitty it is, Congress knows it and they're not even trying to disguise it as such, they're just blatantly pushing it through anyway cuz they're getting paid massive amounts of money to do it by a huge amount of too-rich-to-fail corporations that want to maximize profits as much as they can.  It's absolutely fucking sickening

AussieReaper wrote:

Pretty sure the US just passed indefinite military detention of American citizens without charge or trial.

If they will pass that, SOPA should be a forgone conclusion.
Yep, I figure the NDAA is just the groundwork so they can pass this and other completely senseless shit in at least the next year that it's good for

Last edited by _j5689_ (2011-12-18 14:53:27)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England

_j5689_ wrote:

DUnlimited wrote:

This wasn't even mismarketed to look good though, everyone on the internet(cuz the media sure isn't covering it, it's in their best interest of course) has been saying how obviously shitty it is, Congress knows it and they're not even trying to disguise it as such, they're just blatantly pushing it through anyway cuz they're getting paid massive amounts of money to do it by a huge amount of too-rich-to-fail corporations that want to maximize profits as much as they can.  It's absolutely fucking sickening
People should be left to pirate as they please amirite?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6456|cuntshitlake

_j5689_ wrote:

DUnlimited wrote:

it is marketed and pushed as a proper way of fighting piracy, which it is not
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

The U.S. senate is a mess right now. You won't be able to get anything through it. Especially something as contentious.

Everything will be fine.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6709|Riva, MD

Macbeth wrote:

The U.S. senate is a mess right now. You won't be able to get anything through it. Especially something as contentious.

Everything will be fine.
The Senate already passed it, so the conservatively dominated House will almost surely pass it as well and then the only thing that can stop it will be Obama if Congress chooses not to override his veto.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

_j5689_ wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Everything will be fine.
The Senate already passed it, so the conservatively dominated House will almost surely pass it as well and then the only thing that can stop it will be Obama if Congress chooses not to override his veto.
No the Senate judiciary committee passed the Protect IP bill. It still hasn't moved onto a Senate vote. The house bill- SOPA- is still stuck in it's committee. After it gets out of committee it has to go to the CBO IIRC before it goes to a vote.

I am not trying to downplay how much the bill sucks but don't buy into the propaganda.

Last edited by Macbeth (2011-12-18 16:17:32)

_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6709|Riva, MD

Macbeth wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Everything will be fine.
No the Senate judiciary committee passed the Protect IP bill. It still hasn't moved onto a Senate vote. The house bill- SOPA- is still stuck in it's committee. After it gets out of committee it has to go to the CBO IIRC before it goes to a vote.

I am not trying to downplay how much the bill sucks but don't buy into the propaganda.
Ah that makes a lot more sense then.  It honestly made no sense to me that this would've actually passed in the Senate anyway
FEOS
+1,182|6403|'Murka

_j5689_ wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

Ah that makes a lot more sense then.  It honestly made no sense to me that this would've actually passed in the Senate anyway
FFS, I provided a link in like the second post that explained it wasn't out of the House yet...
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

AussieReaper wrote:

/Japanese-Americans during WW2.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Good point. Guess the war on terror should extend to everyone since terror is just a concept.
FEOS
+1,182|6403|'Murka

AussieReaper wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Good point. Guess the war on terror should extend to everyone since terror is just a concept.
/hope&change
― Albert Einstein

_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6709|Riva, MD

FEOS wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

FFS, I provided a link in like the second post that explained it wasn't out of the House yet...
Sorry, I think it was like 2 in the morning when I clicked on that and I just took one glance at everything(not including the headline) and was TL;DR

derp
BVC
+325|6688
Ugh.  What is it with corrupt/idiot politicians sucking up to the entertainment industry?

We had some similarly shitty downloading laws pass here a few months back, the government used a disaster as cover to pass them "under urgency", tacked onto the end of some disaster laws, after the same DL laws were shot down a few years prior.  This prompted me to vote for the Green party, as they proved during a live parliamentary debate that they were the only ones who actually knew more about computers than "MINES A ACER ITS BLACK AND HAS GIGGER BITES".

This shit sucks, I hope for your sake that SOPA is shot down.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
My main problem with SOPA is its intent to punish search engines for the content of sites not under its control. What a fucking mess that will be.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

Jay wrote:

My main problem with SOPA is its intent to punish search engines for the content of sites not under its control. What a fucking mess that will be.
That's intended to be able to fight the torrent search engines, like most bit torrent sites don't host the copyrighted material, they just point to it.

The way the bill has been written is just all encompassing and that's what the concern of many is.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

AussieReaper wrote:

Jay wrote:

That's intended to be able to fight the torrent search engines, like most bit torrent sites don't host the copyrighted material, they just point to it.

The way the bill has been written is just all encompassing and that's what the concern of many is.
Right, so because the government is inept at actually enforcing the laws it has on its books, it's going to force search engines to do the policing for it.
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Now its all Americans.

Can't deny thats progress.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard