Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5363|London, England

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Firefighters aren't Police, they don't have any jurisdiction to be using force, eg water cannon, on citizens.

Or should every govt employee have carte blanche to use force whenever they like?
Use of force?! Are you kidding me trollbert? Those hoses are not strong enough to harm those kids, not to mention they were beating the crap out of two police officers. No reason firefighters can't save lives, seeing as that's their job.
Those hoses can strip the flesh from your bones.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5970|London, England

I dont support firefighters using firehoses against any human under any circumstances

I dont support people attacking police officers
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6475

Jay wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Firefighters aren't Police, they don't have any jurisdiction to be using force, eg water cannon, on citizens.

Or should every govt employee have carte blanche to use force whenever they like?
Use of force?! Are you kidding me trollbert? Those hoses are not strong enough to harm those kids, not to mention they were beating the crap out of two police officers. No reason firefighters can't save lives, seeing as that's their job.
Those hoses can strip the flesh from your bones.
they can also take your virginity if you're a girl but idk
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
tuckergustav
+1,590|5919|...

I dunno...my parents were both on the fire department and I remember them having "water practice" down at the park.  It pretty much consisted of us kids running around and them trying to knock us down with the water cannon on the top of the truck. Good times.

It really is just a way to get people to disburse.  You probably aren't going to run towards a fire hose...'cuz it's really isn't the most comfy thing to get sprayed right in the face.  It goes right up your nose...with force.

I don't know about peeling off skin though.  I could see it sending you across pavement and the pavement peeling your skin.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6475
you do know there are hoses of varying pressures, right? and some of the major hoses, as in the motherfucking red anacondas that take like five fully built men to control, will literally RUIN YOUR SHIT SISTER
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

tuckergustav wrote:

I dunno...my parents were both on the fire department and I remember them having "water practice" down at the park.  It pretty much consisted of us kids running around and them trying to knock us down with the water cannon on the top of the truck. Good times.

It really is just a way to get people to disburse.  You probably aren't going to run towards a fire hose...'cuz it's really isn't the most comfy thing to get sprayed right in the face.  It goes right up your nose...with force.

I don't know about peeling off skin though.  I could see it sending you across pavement and the pavement peeling your skin.
I never saw it happen or anything, it was just what the guys at the firefighting school I had to attend told us, shrug.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
tuckergustav
+1,590|5919|...

Uzique wrote:

you do know there are hoses of varying pressures, right? and some of the major hoses, as in the motherfucking red anacondas that take like five fully built men to control, will literally RUIN YOUR SHIT SISTER
yes, I remember.  And I am aware that they didn't use full pressure on us kids...

I am commenting specifically on the pictures from this article.  It appears to be one person controlling it.  So, it's either the cannon or a smaller hose.  Either way, the target of the hose was not knocked down as you can see that she was running away and still on her feet.

Does it hurt? Yes.  Can the big huge hose hurt you at full pressure? Yes.  Do you deserve to get your teeth served to you by a fire hose after attacking a police officer?  Probably.
hocSiciliano
+6|4558|New York
Anyone who is arguing that the actions by the firefighters was unlawful, unjust, or wrong altogether is out of their minds. You see two people, not even cops, getting the crap kicked out of them by 50+ people....you are not going to want it to stop? What is this the Roman Empire now?

Give me a break, I absolutely feel the fireman's actions were absolutely called for. Regardless of class, race, profession, etc...they had the power to do something and stop something that could've been fatal and did.

They did the right thing and I hope all 50+ of those kids get smacked around and/or jailed...who knows...maybe even both. Pathetic that some of you are trying to argue that people stopping a barbaric act is somehow unjust and wrong.

Ridiculous.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6111|eXtreme to the maX
Its dangerous for random govt employees to be playing at police officer or riot control, when they don't have the right equipment, training, or the law behind them.

In this specific case its not such a big deal, next time when a wannabe Chuck Norris use the wrong hose and take some bystanders's head off?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5591

hocSiciliano wrote:

You see two people, not even cops, getting the crap kicked out of them by 50+ people....you are not going to want it to stop? What is this the Roman Empire now?
That really doesn't make any sense. The Roman Empire part. I don't really see how it's connected.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5591

Really really really
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5707|College Park, MD
yeah, that roman empire part confuses me, but I agree with the general sentiment of the post otherwise
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6720|US

Dilbert_X wrote:

Its dangerous for random govt employees to be playing at police officer or riot control, when they don't have the right equipment, training, or the law behind them.

In this specific case its not such a big deal, next time when a wannabe Chuck Norris use the wrong hose and take some bystanders's head off?
Even average citizens are allowed to intervene in defense of a third person.  One does not have to be a trained law enforcement officer to defend someone who is being unlawfully attacked.  The firefighters were 100% in the right, if the news report is accurate.  They used non-lethal force to fend off an illegal and potentially lethal mob attack against police officers.  I don't get what your problem is.  This is a "reasonable man" scenario if ever I saw one.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Its dangerous for random govt employees to be playing at police officer or riot control
In this specific case its not such a big deal
next time when a wannabe Chuck Norris uses the wrong hose and take some bystanders's head off?
Wannabe Chuck Norrises who get into the Police are bad enough, at least they get training and oversight, wannabe Chuck Norrises who find a low level govt role and they think that means they're Chuck Norris? Thats going to be bad.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
So if you saw a rape occurring in front of you on the street you would call the police instead of trying to help the woman?
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'd try to help, probably without my safe full of guns or any of my power tools.
tuckergustav
+1,590|5919|...

I say...if you are using a weapon...you are NOT under the impression that you are Chuck Norris.  He doesn't need any weapons...he IS a weapon.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6777|PNW

Who the hell thinks the firefighters were wrong to disperse the crowd? They probably saved lives.

I'd rather be hosed then maced or beanbagged any day.

Dilbert_X wrote:

Are the firefighters trained in the use of deadly force?

Maybe social workers should be given pump-action shotguns in case they pass a crime in progress.
Um...yeaaaaaah.

I'm just going to stop right here. That argument is too ludicrous.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5591

Now that I think about it- it does seem awfully odd that the police couldn't handle the situation without bringing in a fire truck. Think about it. A bunch of police officers by presence alone could disperse a crowd so they had to call a fire truck to come, hook it up to a hydrant, and then start firing. 

Am the only one who 'd ??

Last edited by Macbeth (2011-12-07 21:12:27)

RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6742|Oxferd Ohire
black people
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6777|PNW

Sustained pressure of a fire hose is (if I remember right) about 200 PSI. Burst is high, but if properly started it's not like getting hit with an industrial pressure washer or paint sprayer, which can sustain several thousand PSI. So skin injection hazard isn't really the issue. Plus those girls were already a fall-down risk from participating in melee.

But maybe people would've been happier if police tazed/clubbed the bitches instead.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6742|Oxferd Ohire
doubt it but i wouldve
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6676|UK

RTHKI wrote:

black people
americans
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6742|Oxferd Ohire
black americans
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5707|College Park, MD

Macbeth wrote:

Now that I think about it- it does seem awfully odd that the police couldn't handle the situation without bringing in a fire truck. Think about it. A bunch of police officers by presence alone could disperse a crowd so they had to call a fire truck to come, hook it up to a hydrant, and then start firing. 

Am the only one who 'd ??
Because the ACLU and Department of Social Justice would have sued the pants off of NYPD.

You have to realize that these kinds of people are not deterred by 'presence.' By that logic, 9/11 wouldn't have happened because al-Qaeda would have been deterred by the fact that we could literally vaporize each and every one of them by pressing a few buttons.

e: If I'm not mistaken, the house wasn't very far from a firehouse. Much faster and safer to get a fire truck there than to wait for police back-up. I wouldn't be surprised if the call they responded to didn't mention that there were 50 people there. If the officers didn't know that, they wouldn't have called for back-up. And even once they got there, it can take a while for backup to respond, since generally they send people from their beat before they call on other officers from that district.

Last edited by Hurricane2k9 (2011-12-07 23:09:58)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard