-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6667|BC, Canada
meh I didn't capatalize the t in the either. I coulda wrote ladder as well.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5367|London, England

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Catholic, well there's your problem. What did I just tell you about the Vulgate? Oh and the religion was invented in like 1300AD? My years might be way off there but if it hasn't been around since Jesus' time and was corrupted by man then Catholics are directly disobeying Revelations 22:19.

Would you care to give me an example from Scripture, as I've done for you many times, that can show me how it isn't to be taken literally?

What about the basic biology class? I'm assuming you're referring to the life spans mentioned in the Bible. There's a distinct decrease in longevity between generations after the Great Flood and it can also be seen in the reigns of kings in ancient records. It correlates with the Bible perfectly.

If you think the big bang happened millions of years ago, you're basically saying Genesis is a fairy tale, and if you go as far as to say that even a singe book isn't correct, who's to say the rest is correct? Then at that point you can pretty much disregard everything. -> unchristian
I hate to do this, mostly because it's such an ironic cliche, but I genuinely feel sorry for you.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6683|Canberra, AUS
haha, that's actually hilarious. oh dear.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6115|eXtreme to the maX
you're basically saying Genesis is a fairy tale
Yes, yes I am.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6420|'Murka

OT:

only one I could find with decent vid quality...
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6780|PNW

OP wrote:

I don't want this to be a slaughter-fest thread or a belittling thread

OP wrote:

OP wrote:

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Rather than have it spread out into off-topic banter, just bring it here and fight it out over here.
FEOS
+1,182|6420|'Murka

?

Nothing belittling about that video...other than it's a comedian.

Recognizes the reality of heaven and hell, makes fun of lawyers, gets in some bathroom humor. All around good stuff...
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6780|PNW

I was more reading the past few pages.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6723|US
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."--Einstein

I agree with his quote.  If you believe in God, why would you think the rules He created to make the universe run would be faulty or disprove His existence?

Religion and science answer different questions.  Religion is about "why," where science deals with "how."

Last edited by RAIMIUS (2011-12-24 22:52:41)

Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6701
Science prevails eternally.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
If you start with the premis there is no 'why' religion is redundant.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6683|Canberra, AUS
A priori you have no reason not to make that assumption.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The simplest explanation is there is no 'why'.

Until there is evidence for a more complex explanation I'll stick with the simple one.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6479

FEOS wrote:

Recognizes the reality of heaven and hell
good one! you're a comedian yourself
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6479

Spark wrote:

A priori you have no reason not to make that assumption.
a posteriori, however, i am led to conclude that god is real otherwise why would me and my family be so blessed with great things? xoxo
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

RAIMIUS wrote:

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."--Einstein

I agree with his quote.  If you believe in God, why would you think the rules He created to make the universe run would be faulty or disprove His existence?

Religion and science answer different questions.  Religion is about "why," where science deals with "how."
Couldn't have said it better myself.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Discussions regarding religion are philosophical discussions, not science discussions. I don't understand why non-theists always try to use an improper tool in their arguments. You make yourselves look as stupid as your 'opponents'.
-Frederick Bastiat
(HUN)Rudebwoy
+45|6764
I dont know... You can play the asking "Why?" game till eternity... For me personally religion does not help to understand the "Why?", but science definitely helps me understand the "How?".
FEOS
+1,182|6420|'Murka

Uzique wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Recognizes the reality of heaven and hell
good one! you're a comedian yourself
I try.
― Albert Einstein

eleven bravo
+1,399|5268|foggy bottom
Tu Stultus Es
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6701
After the Norse world converted to Christianity around the 9th-11th centuries, a new section was added onto the end of the Norse mythology in it's transcription from the old Norse songs in the 1300s. The part that was tacked on is called Ragnorok, a tale that describes the deaths of the gods in a divine apocalypse.

What we see here is a common strategy. The making up of storeys.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6479
thanks for the basic anthro lesson, nobody guessed that christian theology is adapted folklore and mythology

you sound like haibai piping up whenever he can to give us a programming lesson
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6701
I was just pointing out an interesting circumstance.

Also, my statement is in no way specific to the interests of anthropology.

Last edited by Superior Mind (2011-12-25 10:39:26)

Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5759|شمال

Macbeth wrote:

Almost done with a book about Islam.
what book?
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard