SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3734

Larssen wrote:

As far as conflicts go we often misidentify the problem, and our judgment has been clouded by the last twenty years in particular. It's as though everyone forgot about the Lord's Resistance Army in Africa, a distinctly self-styled 'christian' militia, who really outdid even ISIS in brutality throughout the 90s.

Anyway, to get to the point, if you reference the literature there's no pattern in muslim countries or muslim minorities in conflict that deviates from patterns we find in any other conflict. The (civil) wars in question always have diverse material, social, political issues at the heart of them. On top of that is always an ideological top layer, be it nationalism, religion, ethnic identity, often an amalgamation of the three but whatever lends itself easiest to organisation and mobilisation within a community to address the aformentioned issues - each manifesting their own style of fundamentalists.

Having said so I do feel there are certain aspects to Islamic societies that may incentivise fundamentalist behaviour a little more than other religions. It is particularly dogmatic, very ritualistic, strict and rigid in all sorts of behavioural & societal norms and can even be so in dress codes (and it is, in many muslim communities), can be invective ... it swallows up and shapes all aspects of the identity of its followers in a way I don't recognise in any other religion, with a rather unhealthy focus on the 'perfect time' that was the age of Muhammad. It doesn't help either that the religion is completely decentralised and that there is no authority that effectively defines acceptable theology. Which has allowed Islam to be deployed quite easily for nationalist and extremist purposes, which (ab)use its familial and culturally binding qualities and its organisational network for their own ends.

Anyway, the more dogmatic and prescribing aspects within the religious community do not seem to make it easy for its followers to integrate or assimilate anywhere, in any sort of timeframe. In fact in many places it remains a culture/community apart like some immovable group that is often self-policing for people who break out, any non-acceptance also only incentivising further retreat into that identity. It remains a fact that there are relatively many fundamentalists, even an entire country completely dominated by fundamentalism (saudi arabia), which is a problem that can't be ignored or waved away only through a lens of negative western influences.
So we should in fact treat Islam with a level of repression that other minority groups in the west aren't affected by due to their ability to live in common with their host societies?

Maybe sometime in the morning Uzique can find the Native American Charlie Hebdo style attack over the Atlanta Braves symbol that I don't remember.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/52/Cleveland_Indians_logo.svg/1200px-Cleveland_Indians_logo.svg.png
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6787|PNW

That's the Cleveland Indians.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6121|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

indian women born into lower castes, especially dalits, are treated as less-than-human. stonings, group rapes, murder, honour killings, etc. are very common in rural areas or village life. violence against women is systemic in indian culture.

the caste system means people are treated as objects, regardless. tens of millions of women are consigned to an oblivion of being treated as literally 'untouchables', kept in poverty, privation, desperation, etc., with no hope of ever improving their lives.

women are treated as second-class citizens in india. every family wants a boy. look at the rates of abortion or child mortality, especially for females. female daughters are literally malnourished, underfed, if there is a boy sibling in the picture. they are spared costly education, particularly if there is a boy sibling in the picture. women are forced to marry at their parents' choosing, and treated as a bargaining chip in status/dowry negotiations.
Indian culture is shit.

What we need to do is let them bring it into our culture, its the progressive thing to do.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3734

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

That's the Cleveland Indians.
So Uzique needs to provide me with two Native American Charlie Hebdo attacks just for baseball.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6787|PNW

Conflict between indigenous America and the expansionist US wasn't exactly bloodless on either side, was it.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3734

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Conflict between indigenous America and the expansionist US wasn't exactly bloodless on either side, was it.
You might as well bring up the Crusades too at this point. There is an equal amount of people alive who fought in either of those conflicts and the Native Americans aren't killing anyone over it today.
Larssen
+99|1902

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Larssen wrote:

As far as conflicts go we often misidentify the problem, and our judgment has been clouded by the last twenty years in particular. It's as though everyone forgot about the Lord's Resistance Army in Africa, a distinctly self-styled 'christian' militia, who really outdid even ISIS in brutality throughout the 90s.

Anyway, to get to the point, if you reference the literature there's no pattern in muslim countries or muslim minorities in conflict that deviates from patterns we find in any other conflict. The (civil) wars in question always have diverse material, social, political issues at the heart of them. On top of that is always an ideological top layer, be it nationalism, religion, ethnic identity, often an amalgamation of the three but whatever lends itself easiest to organisation and mobilisation within a community to address the aformentioned issues - each manifesting their own style of fundamentalists.

Having said so I do feel there are certain aspects to Islamic societies that may incentivise fundamentalist behaviour a little more than other religions. It is particularly dogmatic, very ritualistic, strict and rigid in all sorts of behavioural & societal norms and can even be so in dress codes (and it is, in many muslim communities), can be invective ... it swallows up and shapes all aspects of the identity of its followers in a way I don't recognise in any other religion, with a rather unhealthy focus on the 'perfect time' that was the age of Muhammad. It doesn't help either that the religion is completely decentralised and that there is no authority that effectively defines acceptable theology. Which has allowed Islam to be deployed quite easily for nationalist and extremist purposes, which (ab)use its familial and culturally binding qualities and its organisational network for their own ends.

Anyway, the more dogmatic and prescribing aspects within the religious community do not seem to make it easy for its followers to integrate or assimilate anywhere, in any sort of timeframe. In fact in many places it remains a culture/community apart like some immovable group that is often self-policing for people who break out, any non-acceptance also only incentivising further retreat into that identity. It remains a fact that there are relatively many fundamentalists, even an entire country completely dominated by fundamentalism (saudi arabia), which is a problem that can't be ignored or waved away only through a lens of negative western influences.
So we should in fact treat Islam with a level of repression that other minority groups in the west aren't affected by due to their ability to live in common with their host societies?

Maybe sometime in the morning Uzique can find the Native American Charlie Hebdo style attack over the Atlanta Braves symbol that I don't remember.
No I don't think a blanket repression or one formulated specifically against muslims would be productive. But it would be useful to identify fundamentalist norms, behaviours, rules and move to prohibit these. This is a difficult and fine line to tread. Do we ban niqabs and burqas? What about forbidding religious iconography in general & in extension for example headscarves in public buildings? How far do we go in fighting freedom of speech vs freedom of religion? None of these questions are easy.

Beyond that, as I've said before Islam has been co-opted by extremists and nationalists for their own purposes, and this has flowed back into the religion. Most European and/or American Imams are taught in religious schools in Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Egypt. Many mosques in the west are also funded by these countries (or others) and ran through organisations that have deep ties with them, the leadership of which (these organisations) often appointed by the religious authorities in the 'home country' .... in many cases themselves providing a grand Imam/chairman who does not connect with local western cultures and keeps the conservatism and rigidity in place. A solution to this is to create an Islamic school in Europe that meets the theological educational standards of those in Turkey, Egypt and Saudi Arabia, but which is run by western muslims and allows for more flexible and independent development.

But this is also complicated as it would in the long term perhaps demand the western taxpayer to fund Islamic schools, organisation and perhaps even mosques and the salary of Imams. Yet decreasing/severing the dependence on outside influences that now take care of these things is important.

Then there is social media regulation, which is needed in general anyway but as an added benefit could also help decrease exposure of people to fundamentalist teachings.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-11-12 15:19:06)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3734

Larssen wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Larssen wrote:

No I don't think a blanket repression or one formulated specifically against muslims would be productive. But it would be useful to identify fundamentalist norms, behaviours, rules and move to prohibit these. This is a difficult and fine line to tread. Do we ban niqabs and burqas? What about forbidding religious iconography in general & in extension for example headscarves in public buildings? How far do we go in fighting freedom of speech vs freedom of religion? None of these questions are easy.

Beyond that, as I've said before Islam has been co-opted by extremists and nationalists for their own purposes, and this has flowed back into the religion. Most European and/or American Imams are taught in religious schools in Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Egypt. Many mosques in the west are also funded by these countries (or others) and ran through organisations that have deep ties with them, the leadership of which (these organisations) often appointed by the religious authorities in the 'home country' .... in many cases themselves providing a grand Imam/chairman who does not connect with local western cultures and keeps the conservatism and rigidity in place. A solution to this is to create an Islamic school in Europe that meets the theological educational standards of those in Turkey, Egypt and Saudi Arabia, but which is run by western muslims and allows for more flexible and independent development.

But this is also complicated as it would in the long term perhaps demand the western taxpayer to fund Islamic schools, organisation and perhaps even mosques and the salary of Imams. Yet decreasing/severing the dependence on outside influences that now take care of these things is important.
Why invest in creating semi-westernized Muslim organizations in European countries instead of just encouraging people to join the majority Christian dominations? Taxpayer funded imams. That will go over well.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6787|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

You might as well bring up the Crusades too at this point. There is an equal amount of people alive who fought in either of those conflicts and the Native Americans aren't killing anyone over it today.
The Indian Wars are regarded as having ended west of the Mississippi in 1924. It's not inconceivable that someone is alive today who was alive then, is it? And certainly families living the impact to this day, or with living memory of stories told by those who were there. And even the crusades are carried on by oral histories.

Indigenous Americans also endure elevated levels of police scrutiny and brutality and high rates of incarceration. In recent, high-profile history, Standing Rock. I'm sure your vapid troll response would be to demand why NLM isn't taking to the streets en masse to counter-protest against BLM.

Dilbert's and your own endless deflections to Muslim extremism remind me a bit of US apologists bringing up some indian massacre of a white settlement as if that makes their bigotry OK.

Aside:

How Jimmy Carter lost Iran
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mad … lost-iran/
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6121|eXtreme to the maX

Larssen wrote:

Then there is social media regulation, which is needed in general anyway but as an added benefit could also help decrease exposure of people to fundamentalist teachings.
All this tinkering around the edges is tiresome and achieves nothing. Lets just remove religion from public life, no churches, no religious schools, no public displays, no involvement in government, it solves most problems.
Freedom to religion shouldn't be a right.

If people want to live in a religious country they're free to go and do so, there's no need for them to fuck up developed countries with their nuttery and squabbling.

France was going OK on this but they haven't gone hard enough.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-11-12 15:31:36)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3734

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

The Indian Wars are regarded as having ended west of the Mississippi in 1924. It's not inconceivable that someone is alive today who was alive then, is it? And certainly families living the impact to this day, or with living memory of stories told by those who were there. And even the crusades are carried on by oral histories.

Indigenous Americans also endure elevated levels of police scrutiny and brutality and high rates of incarceration. In recent, high-profile history, Standing Rock. I'm sure your vapid troll response would be to demand why NLM isn't taking to the streets en masse to counter-protest against BLM.

Dilbert's and your own endless deflections to Muslim extremism remind me a bit of US apologists bringing up some indian massacre of a white settlement as if that makes their bigotry OK.

Aside:

How Jimmy Carter lost Iran
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mad … lost-iran/
I don't know what NLM is.

So if there are in fact Native Americans living with the negative effects of the Indian Wars and all of the other trauma that are inherent to the experience of minorities anywhere, why aren't they committing terrorist attacks on the regular? There are more Native Americans than Muslim Americans and Native Americans have much more grievances against the U.S. than an immigrant from Chechnya. But still no terrorist attacks. Substitute Native American with almost any other group in America and the question works the same.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6787|PNW

Tribes and the US government aren't exactly at it like cowboys and indians these days. If that level of conflict was ongoing, who knows what sort of domestic warfare we'd be facing. Our very own Tamil Tigers, perhaps.

Stephen Paddock was a self-described atheist. Why are atheists shooting up music festivals?
uziq
+492|3467
South Carolina is considering closing its 'marry-your-rapist' loophole that allows girls under 16 to marry if they are pregnant and have a parent’s consent. Visiting the record office in Spartanburg County, Ellie finds 16 child marriages in the county in the last decade. In ten of those cases, the groom could have been prosecuted under statutory rape laws.

One of these marriages was between teenager Keri, then 15, and Paul, then 24. When Keri became pregnant, Paul agreed to marry her and help look after the baby in order to avoid prison. This raises a central question for Ellie: whose rights are more important: the underage, pregnant girl or the unborn, potentially fatherless baby?

Ellie also travels to Georgia to meet 17-year-old Zion. She married at 16, and her groom David was just two years older than her, so Zion didn’t need to use the marry-your-rapist loophole, and nor was her groom at risk of prosecution for statutory rape. Many campaigners want to change Georgia’s minimum marriage age to 18, but Zion is convinced that this would have meant the end of her and David’s family, as they would have been forced to live apart for two years.

But not all child marriages end in family harmony. Often it breaks families apart, as Ellie finds out in Idaho. Here, a case involving conflicting laws, religious beliefs and ideas of parental responsibility left two men in prison and a family at war. In Idaho, child marriage laws require a court order from a judge, but in the state of Missouri only the consent of one parent is needed. So when Heather became pregnant at 14, and without consulting her mother, Heather's father drove her across the USA to marry her 24-year-old rapist.
remember when macbeth tried to make out that life for all women in america was amazing and not interfered with by christianity or western customs?

OH WAIT, the 'marry-your-rapist' loophole.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3734
One state with less than 5 million people has a law that was designed to keep potential families together and you think that negates that fact that hundreds of millions of young girls live in Muslim countries with legalized pre-teen marriage?

https://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/68948000/jpg/_68948162_dsc06279.jpg
uziq
+492|3467
poland just banned abortion. christians are actively meddling in women’s lives too, restricting their freedoms, consigning them either to early death or to raise their rapists’ children. good job !
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3734
Oh shut up you fucking cuck.

Isolated cases of complex laws will never make up for the fact that women in Islam are fundamentally secondary to men. Nothing will change that women have worse times in Islamic countries than they have anywhere else.

The fundamentalist Muslims your heart breaks for want to exterminate your way of life. A Pole or cracker from South Carolina isn't going to stone a girl to death for fucking you without a license from her dad and the local Bishop. Some dumb Pole isn't going to behead your grandmother because someone made a joke about Jesus at a high school.
uziq
+492|3467
why don’t you care about the plight of christian women?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3734

uziq wrote:

why don’t you care about the plight of christian women?
I do. That ones stuck in Muslim countries have priority.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6647|949

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Isolated cases of complex laws will never make up for the fact that women in Islam are fundamentally secondary to men. Nothing will change that women have worse times in Islamic countries than they have anywhere else.

The fundamentalist Muslims your heart breaks for want to exterminate your way of life. A Pole or cracker from South Carolina isn't going to stone a girl to death for fucking you without a license from her dad and the local Bishop. Some dumb Pole isn't going to behead your grandmother because someone made a joke about Jesus at a high school.
Women in Christianity are fundamentally second to men as well. Notice your response will include the argument that culture and society will dictate how closely the word of God is followed, and as such, in most western democracies the word of God plays second fiddle to the cultural and societal norms. The same holds true for Islam, and it has been something uzi and others have highlighted to you many times.

How do you square people like Amy Coney Barrett, a Supreme Court Judge who prescribes to a version of Christianity whose doctrine literally says that women are secondary to men, with your criticism of Islam as practiced in isolated places like Afghanistan?

You live a sheltered life. You're like people in bumfuck Idaho that pretend they know about the world because fox News tells them that black people are rioting in Portland, and then use that myopic view to inform your worldview. For a guy that is seemingly as well-read as you are, you need to get a fucking clue.

Maybe your appreciation of video games, with their facile representations of order and society, and your escapism into fantasy realms of GoT have negatively impacted your ability to apply real world logic to real world problems.

Here we are again, rehashing a debate between Sam Huntington and Edward Said, 40 years later on the bf2s message boards.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6787|PNW

uziq wrote:

remember when macbeth tried to make out that life for all women in america was amazing and not interfered with by christianity or western customs?

OH WAIT, the 'marry-your-rapist' loophole.
Plenty of horror stories also abound about the Mormon fundies multi-raping it up in the sticks. Also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_boys … mentalism)

Why are people who "worship Jesus" always marrying little girls and dumping unwanted children in the desert?

But no, all eyes to Afghanistan hills as a one-size-fits-all sample of international Islam.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3734

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Women in Christianity are fundamentally second to men as well. Notice your response will include the argument that culture and society will dictate how closely the word of God is followed, and as such, in most western democracies the word of God plays second fiddle to the cultural and societal norms. The same holds true for Islam, and it has been something uzi and others have highlighted to you many times.

How do you square people like Amy Coney Barrett, a Supreme Court Judge who prescribes to a version of Christianity whose doctrine literally says that women are secondary to men, with your criticism of Islam as practiced in isolated places like Afghanistan?

You live a sheltered life. You're like people in bumfuck Idaho that pretend they know about the world because fox News tells them that black people are rioting in Portland, and then use that myopic view to inform your worldview. For a guy that is seemingly as well-read as you are, you need to get a fucking clue.

Maybe your appreciation of video games, with their facile representations of order and society, and your escapism into fantasy realms of GoT have negatively impacted your ability to apply real world logic to real world problems.

Here we are again, rehashing a debate between Sam Huntington and Edward Said, 40 years later on the bf2s message boards.
So we should let Muslim immigrants and their western converts live out their unarguably more severe to women culture in Christian and various Asian societies? And is ethnic, national, and regional culture really the place you want to blame the fact that women can get executed for petty stuff like casual dating?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6647|949

"Women being executed for petty stuff like dating" isn't unique to Islam. Why do you pretend to care about Muslim women only?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3734
Can you name me a country that is not Muslim that executes people for "adultery"?
uziq
+492|3467
there are several african countries which are strongly christian that will kill you for being homosexual and punish you severely for adultery, including jail time.

ditto some asian countries with strong christian influences.

leave new jersey, i beseech ye.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6647|949

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Can you name me a country that is not Muslim that executes people for "adultery"?
Can you name all the countries where death is the codified punishment for adultery?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard