Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6113|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

but, regardless of internet speculation about it, the point stands: as a people they're meant to have 'done nothing' in 4,000 years, but yet they still occupy places in high industry, academia, the arts, finance, etc? hmm you might have to revise your thesis that jewish culture is still stuck in '2000 BC' (whatever that means).
They've 'done nothing' in terms of actual progress, they're still cutting bits off their kids and feuding over the same patch of biblical land.

I was wrong, they're still sacrificing animals.
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso … -jerusalem

It seems they've made no progress at all.

Give them another 4,000 years and maybe they'll reverse their position and conclude that robbing and murdering people who have something you want or are in your way is a sin after all. The christians did it, it can be done.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3460
lol 'they're still sacrificing animals! check out this scapegoat stuff!'.

and americans don't all insist on having a turkey at thanksgiving? what does your family's christmas meal consist of? lentils and a pious reading from a haines manual?

how many israelis do you think take an interest in that sort of thing? probably about as many spaniards go to bull-fights, or irish bet on cock-fights. 'western civilization has made no progress at all!' meanwhile the english upper crust throw wodges of cash at watching horses run themselves to death over steeplechases.

Last edited by uziq (2020-11-12 02:24:47)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The point is the religion itself hasn't changed at all, it still hasn't grown out of animal sacrifice, the writings are all still there and people are still doing it and wanting to do it.
uziq
+492|3460
i'm sure you know a great deal about jewish theology and are familiar with the entire rabbinical tradition, dilbert.

'christianity hasn't changed at all in 2000 years! look! these baptists still dunk themselves in water!'
Larssen
+99|1895
To add a more nuanced tone I do think religion should be criticised and that it's high time this stuff meets its inevitable end. Just look at this verse in the quran which is one of the texts used to argue women should cover up:

"And reside in your homes, and do not flaunt your finery as was the flaunting of finery in the earliest (times) of Ignorance, and keep up the prayer, and bring the Zakat, (Pat the poor-dues) and obey Allah and His Messenger. Surely Allah wills only to put away indeed from you abomination, Population of the Home, and to purify you a thorough purification."

You mean to tell me that all those beautiful middle eastern women had no problem showing their curves and hair in the 'times of ignorance'? We need a goddamn timemachine people. Those mesopotamians had it right.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-11-12 09:22:05)

uziq
+492|3460
here we go, the richard dawkins school of critique. 'look at these harmful verses taken from their religious texts!'

every religion has various schools of interpretation and multiple 'faiths'. just as there are biblical literalists who would be considered extreme (and, connectedly, as there are constitutional literalists), there are the ascetics in the islamic tradition too. different branches of a religion will emphasize different aspects or parts of their holy canon over others: that's just how it is.

'do not flaunt your finery' is a simple moral lesson in humility. almost all of the ethical content in the old religions comes from a basic need to have large communities of people coexist without strife or civil/marital conflict. people flaunting their wealth and worshipping said material things isn't an uncomplicated or altogether happy situation in 'secular' society, you know; neither is adultery. of course, no western liberal will consent to this perennial social problem being solved by 'making the women cover up', but you're being rather selective there. modesty of dress is not an alien concept to non-religious cultures, either, and for much the same reason.

you could quote things from a 1500- or 2000-year-old book until the end of time and conclude that, yes, wow, many of these attitudes are in fact 1500 years old. religions change and adapt: some parts are preserved, others are left behind. most christians in the world today do not behave like puritans or dress like the amish. most catholics do not have any especial zeal or fervour to go and convert (or burn) heretics. religions become moderate, they modernize, they adapt; or they don't. just quoting random bits of scripture does not exactly constitute 'analysis' of said issue. the matter of scriptural interpretation and adherence is not exactly simple and unambiguous. indeed, religious groups have been bickering over just such things for almost as long as the fucking books have been around.

in terms of the islamic world, look at how the women dress in turkey for a good indication of how 'punitive' and 'restrictive' such verses from the quran are. look at how iranians dressed up until the UK and US decided to destabilize their liberal, elected government.

https://bestasianwomen.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/turk4.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f0/3a/be/f03abe739c0f8dd2901d01ceea8898b6.jpg

Last edited by uziq (2020-11-12 09:27:35)

Larssen
+99|1895
I vote for immodest dress. Flaunt that finery!
uziq
+492|3460
just so long as you know that you sound about 15 when you take the dawkins route. 'religion is evil! look at this line i can quote!'

like there is no wisdom or ethical content in all of christianity because jesus said (or had interpolated by matthew) a few lines like 'I did not come to bring peace, but a sword'. wow! an extremist and violent religion! i'm an atheist bro kekekeke.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6779|PNW

I'll add that not all Muslim families here actually abide by head coverings outside the mosque. Some actually discourage it.
uziq
+492|3460
the majority of muslim families, particularly the young, don't cover up in day-to-day life in the UK. perhaps the grandparents or the older generations, but not the young. you will only see them in traditional dress outside the mosque or on holidays. and that is the prevailing trend in the more modern, economically developed muslim countries, too, no matter how much larssen wants to make out that turkey is a reactionary state full of sunni extremists hiding in the caves of anatolia.

you might get a sort of counter-movement in the deprived areas or housing projects, where young people without many prospects embrace their religious identity to distinguish or contrast themselves from mainstream society. that happens too, just like you get nation of islam people in new york or whatever. the dynamics are fairly obvious there.

Last edited by uziq (2020-11-12 09:34:17)

Larssen
+99|1895
Hey now the book clearly speaks of times of ignorance. All I wished for is a return to that mythical period of finery flaunting for those poor women in saudi arabia. We have clearly gone astray.
Larssen
+99|1895
I'm waiting for macbeth to argue how catholicism has brought us south american women. This is your chance man!
uziq
+492|3460
every world religion relies upon this notion of time/history, as there being a before of chaos, anarchy, godlessness, etc, and a restored kingdom. it's a mythopoeic trope. which, by the way, was pioneered and central to pre-abrahamic religions, too. look up some of the sumerian or mesopotamian legends.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6779|PNW

Larssen wrote:

I'm waiting for macbeth to argue how catholicism has brought us south american women. This is your chance man!
if he's still a disaffected gulf war vet, he might actually resent catholics now because of anyone from south of the american border.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3727
Why are Muslim countries the only ones where women can't go to the beach in bikinis?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3460
why don’t you let muslim women make up their own mind about what they want to wear to the beach?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3727

uziq wrote:

why don’t you let muslim women make up their own mind about what they want to wear to the beach?
Why don't Muslim men let Muslim women make up their own mind about what they want to wear?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6779|PNW

Google search for beach in Turkey:

https://www.visitturkey.in/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/cleopatra_beach_alanya.jpg

Oh no.

Also imagine stressing over burqinis in 2020. They were designed by a woman ffs. Sometimes modest swimwear is even worn outside Muslim tradition if, for example, a woman feels self-conscious about aging. Literally their choice.
uziq
+492|3460
has it ever occurred to you that muslim women have agency too, and that many times they opt to wear traditional dress? particularly so in western countries where there are no official strictures or cultural expectations about this sort of thing.

i am totally sympathetic to the discussion that 'making women cover up' is borderline-misogynist, patriarchal bullshit. but the discussion all too often treats muslim women, who might have a very strong faith and who might take great pride in their own elected identity, like objects of pity -- keyword being objects. they are subjects that can often make up their own mind.

as ever, it takes nuance, which you don't want to grant to something as diverse and complex as a world religion that comprises a QUARTER of the world's population. all those hundreds of millions of women aren't under the cudgel, macbeth.

Last edited by uziq (2020-11-12 12:49:32)

uziq
+492|3460

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Google search for beach in Turkey:

https://www.visitturkey.in/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/cleopatra_beach_alanya.jpg

Oh no.
turkey is an incredibly popular tourist resort for most middle european nations. it's a cheaper and less-explored version of greece. probably not the best experiment. turkish beach resorts are about as representative of their culture as the costa del sol is representative of 'authentic' spain (the beaches of which are covered in lobster-red northern europeans).
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6779|PNW

Which is true, but this photo does lack old people and goon squads walking around chiding younger folks for bare skin. Anyway you can see plenty of photos of Turkish women in western dress in any given photo of a Turkish city.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6779|PNW

Macbeth losing it over the Muslim Beaches is a bit silly. And by way of comparison, the west isn't too far ahead of shit like Iran's modesty laws clashing with female cyclists.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-vKoo9s0n1S4/WBQL_ApkJmI/AAAAAAAALsc/3QeCIb3Nh4Q26JXfBBYR_czR9Y0RKoF0gCLcB/s1600/prohibited_bathing_suits_1920s.jpg
the shame!
uziq
+492|3460
people, time and time again, who take 'western values' as being universally enlightened and up-to-date, conveniently gloss over just how much struggle and bitter acrimony it has taken, even in very recent history, to achieve such a state-of-affairs. we are talking 1-2 generations, in many cases. the relaxing of women's attire/dress, like women attaining prominence in office environments, etc. was literally a huge and violent culture war in the 1960s-1970s.

most of the gains and freedoms enjoyed today came from activists like those feared 'feminists' who are also simultaneously 'bringing about the end of western civilization and traditional values'.

you can't make it up. cultural conservatives and xenophobes love to talk up how great and free the west is, whilst at the same time denigrating the minorities and marginalized groups who helped to broaden democracy's scope and liberties.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Most cultures have changed, judaism basically hasn't in 4,000 years.
Islam hasn't either really, there is the odd outlier like turkey but otherwise the basic religion hasn't changed either.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6779|PNW

My mother, a boomer, has recounted stories of being rejected from some office jobs in the 80s because they wanted someone "young and fluffy" on the phones. She was in her mid 20s to very early 30s, and I guess wasn't the barely-legal bimbo they had in mind. The office environment can still in some respects, to this day, be blatantly sexist. Look at the guy we elected president some 4 years ago.

e: oh give it a rest, dilbert. do you ever go back and read your own posts?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard