DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6685|United States of America
I usually tip quite well not because I expect good service or as a reward for it, but because someone's serving me at all. It's a very odd concept to me that this person is being paid to improve my well-being in a rather insignificant but essential way via serving me food. I'm mildly uncomfortable with inconveniencing others in any way, which is why I've refused rides in the middle of winter so I could walk home instead of making a friend drive a little bit out of their way.

There was a comment on a Cracked article about awkwardness yesterday that totally applies to me: "Awkward also means eating a ham sandwich even though you asked for pastrami because you'd rather eat the wrong sandwich than tell the person behind the counter they got your order wrong." I'd still give a good tip in that situation, too.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England

DesertFox- wrote:

I usually tip quite well not because I expect good service or as a reward for it, but because someone's serving me at all. It's a very odd concept to me that this person is being paid to improve my well-being in a rather insignificant but essential way via serving me food. I'm mildly uncomfortable with inconveniencing others in any way, which is why I've refused rides in the middle of winter so I could walk home instead of making a friend drive a little bit out of their way.

There was a comment on a Cracked article about awkwardness yesterday that totally applies to me: "Awkward also means eating a ham sandwich even though you asked for pastrami because you'd rather eat the wrong sandwich than tell the person behind the counter they got your order wrong." I'd still give a good tip in that situation, too.
That article made me cringe when I read it yesterday. Had me thinking of J#'s the whole time.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
i'm cringing that people actually read cracked articles.
DesertFox-
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
isn't that one of those websites that puts up like 20 'top 10' lists a day? like the reading-version of collegehumor.
DesertFox-
They have 4 or maybe 5 articles a day that are comprised of thoroughly-researched interesting subject matter in addition to more opinion/story types of content from columnists. In just looking back at the flashback today of old articles, you have things like 7 Terrifying Things They Don't Tell You About Pregnancy and 6 'Facts' About Historic Figures Their Enemies Made Up.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
i find it slightly demeaning to learn through rote lists of 'x things you didn't know!'. it encourages the sort of facebook-friendly 'information' and trivial fact 'learning' that the internet generally cultivates. i militate against that. it is a lazy form of familiarisation. journal articles and book-length studies only, please thank you.
DesertFox-
Perfectly acceptable if you feel that way. I, however, don't know what I don't know, so when I find out about something new and interesting to me, I am encouraged to learn more about it. I know the titles sound like every other one you see in banner ads on web sites, but they've stuck with it since the web site launched and use it out of irony, occasionally poking fun at it themselves how often they use adjectives like "mind-blowing" or "baffling" in so many of their titles.

I agree with you, too, that a lot of Internet "facts" seem like they're written for the most ADD generation in history. A guy I know always posts shit from a site called FactsandChicks, which consists of a single sentence (that are oftentimes false) without a source and a picture of a girl likely in some state of undress. There's a reason I go to Cracked and not to those Facebook pages or other web sites claiming to have all the secrets.

Last edited by DesertFox- (2013-07-13 08:52:45)

Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6742|London

Once a week for 20 minutes, sit in a hot bath that contains a handful of Epsom salts, 10 drops of lavender essential oil, and a half cup of baking soda. This combo draws out toxins, lowers stress-related hormones, and balances your pH levels
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254

DesertFox- wrote:

Perfectly acceptable if you feel that way. I, however, don't know what I don't know, so when I find out about something new and interesting to me, I am encouraged to learn more about it. I know the titles sound like every other one you see in banner ads on web sites, but they've stuck with it since the web site launched and use it out of irony, occasionally poking fun at it themselves how often they use adjectives like "mind-blowing" or "baffling" in so many of their titles.
i read things like the london/newyork/paris/la review of books if i want to be exposed to wider learning outside of my usual interests.

also occasionally pick up a science magazine, or the economist, or something. professional publications.

these 'list aggregation' sites are just ways to make loads of advert money out of collecting trivia and miscellanea. the internet's recycle bin.
DesertFox-
It's a list/dick joke-based humor site of what used to be a second-rate humor magazine. I'm not saying it's an esteemed publication, but I find it's a lot better than nearly every other site I've seen that offers a similar product. It's entertainment above all else, so I'll never pretend it's an educational resource. I like learning interesting facts and wish them all the advertisement money they can get for their articles and videos.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716
more importantly i dont have to pay for it
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Some asshole has been using my email address as his/her fake info on car websites all over ohio I've been getting spammed for three days now.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254

Cybargs wrote:

if you're at a university there's no way you should have to pay for quality (online) publications, either. institutional log-in, derp.
DesertFox-
Hey RTHKI, you looking for a car?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

if you're at a university there's no way you should have to pay for quality (online) publications, either. institutional log-in, derp.
not for the economist magazine specifically no.

aussieland likes to milk its students. unless its uploaded research journal articles then theyre free (jstor and what not).

http://magazines4students.com.au/

we get discounts though
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254

Cybargs wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

not for the economist magazine specifically no.

aussieland likes to milk its students. unless its uploaded research journal articles then theyre free (jstor and what not).

http://magazines4students.com.au/

we get discounts though
that sucks. because our university libraries stock a copy of all magazines/papers/journals like that, we just use our library log-in and get full access.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

DesertFox- wrote:

It's a very odd concept to me that this person is being paid to improve my well-being in a rather insignificant but essential way via serving me food.
What cutthroat jungle did you grow up in.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Dressed nice for work today only to be sent out to field study a wet basement in Queens after lunch. Gg.
-Frederick Bastiat
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4195|Oklahoma

DesertFox- wrote:

They have 4 or maybe 5 articles a day that are comprised of thoroughly-researched interesting subject matter in addition to more opinion/story types of content from columnists. In just looking back at the flashback today of old articles, you have things like 7 Terrifying Things They Don't Tell You About Pregnancy and 6 'Facts' About Historic Figures Their Enemies Made Up.
It wasn't written by some faggot with a PhD so the article is obviously only meant for people with IQ's of 37.

At least according to Uzi.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6742|London

might have to go to scotland next week for the first time in my life

Last edited by Dauntless (2013-07-15 15:52:41)

https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254

Extra Medium wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

It wasn't written by some faggot with a PhD so the article is obviously only meant for people with IQ's of 37.

At least according to Uzi.
yes because the only level up in engagement from a 6-point list is a PhD.

you only insult yourself when you come out with such dumb shit.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

deductive logic is my least favorite part of philosophy.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6737|Oxferd Ohire
Warman is a hermaphrodite.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254

Macbeth wrote:

deductive logic is my least favorite part of philosophy.
try modal logic

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard