Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5672|College Park, MD
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/fired-wa … d=13705438

In Benton Township, Michigan, two armed robbers wearing masks burst into a near-deserted Walgreens at 4:30 a.m. To pharmacist Jeremy Hoven, it was a prescription for trouble. So he filled it with hot lead.

A video, newly released by Hoven's attorneys, shows how events unfolded.

Watch the Video Here

Drawing his own gun, Hoven fired at the attackers and drove them off, saving not just himself but two Walgreens co-workers as well as the pharmacy's valuable prescription drugs.

By way of saying thanks, Walgreens fired him.
As usual, the typical BS excuse Walgreens gave is that it was against company policy. To hell with that, the man ought to be given a raise instead of getting fired. I'm glad there aren't a lot of Walgreens here, makes it that much easier to boycott them
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6439
I'd fire a guy if he shot a gun in my store.

Also, you are really much safer not confronting them, if they had guns they might have returned fire. By just letting them take what they want, nothing really bad will happen to you. Especially because it wasn't even his store he was "protecting."
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

Tac
Tai
Fuj

Last edited by Macbeth (2011-09-16 15:42:14)

-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6624
"Home of the Brave" you spineless bastids! 

Statistically speaking it's probably safest to not pack heat and just do what they say, but if you ever complied in every way and someone still lost their life, the sense of infeeblement would be fucking hard to bear.  (even being helpless during a robbery would have a similar effect...)

He'll find a job elsewhere I'm sure, especially after the newspieces.  There are plenty of independent pharmacists who took that path exactly so that they avoid the morass of bureaucracy at the big chain stores, and they might like to hire a local hero.

Last edited by -CARNIFEX-[LOC] (2011-09-13 09:23:56)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
They have insurance to cover robberies. I would've fired him too. What if he hit a customer? Or what if one of the other employees was hit? His job is to fill prescriptions, not act as a security guard.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6624

Jay wrote:

They have insurance to cover robberies. I would've fired him too. What if he hit a customer? Or what if one of the other employees was hit? His job is to fill prescriptions, not act as a security guard.
Very true.  All of the Walgreens around here have actual police officers sitting at the storefront, which is probably why this sort of thing doesn't happen...
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6539|Mountains of NC

I love statics since statistically showing that they went would have taken what they want and been on their merry way

oh but wait .............. since its not 100% that means people have gotten hurt/killed in situations like that ..................... could always ask up front if the criminal is going to hurt/kill you and/or the customers so that way you could act appropriate
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6439

SEREMAKER wrote:

I love statics since statistically showing that they went would have taken what they want and been on their merry way

oh but wait .............. since its not 100% that means people have gotten hurt/killed in situations like that ..................... could always ask up front if the criminal is going to hurt/kill you and/or the customers so that way you could act appropriate
Yeah, because the people robbing your store really want to have a murder on their hands as well
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

SEREMAKER wrote:

Yeah, because the people robbing your store really want to have a murder on their hands as well
So, you know what is rolling through the mind of each person that comes in
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

SEREMAKER wrote:

SEREMAKER wrote:

You're a business owner, would you rather your employee cause a lawsuit to come down on you or would you rather pay your insurance deductible?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4813|Amsterdam

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

To pharmacist Jeremy Hoven, it was a prescription for trouble. So he filled it with hot lead.
I couldnt take this atricle seriously after this cheesy line.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √

Jay wrote:

SEREMAKER wrote:

You're a business owner, would you rather your employee cause a lawsuit to come down on you or would you rather pay your insurance deductible?
thats monday quarterbacking right there ..... you're putting it as if I know the criminal is simply going to take the cash and run

As a owner .... if a criminal strolled into my store and brandished a weapon with demands, I'll be more then happy to help my employee with anything they may need

lets try it from a different angle ..... what if someone did get hurt/killed and it was reported the employee did have the opportunity ....... what then, a damned if you do damned if you don't
HITNRUNXX
+220|6680|Oklahoma City
I am 100% for gun rights. I am also 100% for employees obeying their employers rules and regulations, or finding a different job. If they have a no-gun policy, then you are not allowed to carry a gun. Period. Not "Hey, it is ok for you to break our rules because it worked out that one time." If I were an employer, I would not want to be responsible for a gun-toting employee in a gun fight. What if he hit someone? What if they returned fire and hit someone because of him? Too many what-ifs.

Hey, you were speeding 108mph in a 25mph school zone, but no body got hurt, so we are going to let it slide.

Hey, you are doing crack on the job, but you are pretty efficient, so its cool.

Hey, you murdered that guy, but he MIGHT have molested a kid in the future, so here is a medal.

Don't be ridiculous. You have to obey your job's policies regardless of how things MIGHT happen, or be willing to lose that job.

If he truly feels justified in what he did, then he won't care that he lost his job. He can go on through life feeling like a hero that did the right thing.
13rin
+977|6450

Also, you are really much safer not confronting them, if they had guns they might have returned fire. By just letting them take what they want, nothing really bad will happen to you. Especially because it wasn't even his store he was "protecting."
How do you know that's all they want?  Do you have telepathy?  I sure as shit don't.  You put your faith and trust in a criminal not to harm you?  Wow.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
13rin
+977|6450

-CARNIFEX-[LOC] wrote:

Jay wrote:

Very true.  All of the Walgreens around here have actual police officers sitting at the storefront, which is probably why this sort of thing doesn't happen...
This guy robbed the walgreens a mile away from my home, yesterday.
https://media.graytvinc.com/images/linked+robbery.jpg
Left Walgreens\Rt Gas Station.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6471|so randum
why is a monk robbing a shop
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √

FatherTed wrote:

vow of celibacy can mess with your head
13rin
+977|6450
Ha!

People in these parts seem to think that it is the same guy.  I think it's 2 people and they are taking turns robbing/driving (same gun).
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6193|Escea

FatherTed wrote:

BLACK MONK

Sounds like an action movie.
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6439

13rin wrote:

How do you know that's all they want?  Do you have telepathy?  I sure as shit don't.  You put your faith and trust in a criminal not to harm you?  Wow.
As said earlier, robbers really don't want to get a murder rap added to the robbery. If you rob something, the police will only search for you for a few hours, and if you get caught you'll only probably only spend a year in prison, and it will be easy to make parole. If you murder someone, you'll need to lay low for weeks, the police will have brought in homicide detectives that will search for any trace of evidence that could link you, and then if you do get caught you'll be in jail for significantly longer. No one wants to add a murder charge to their robbery.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6620

13rin wrote:

It must be terrifying being you.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6685|US

13rin wrote:

As said earlier, robbers really don't want to get a murder rap added to the robbery. If you rob something, the police will only search for you for a few hours, and if you get caught you'll only probably only spend a year in prison, and it will be easy to make parole. If you murder someone, you'll need to lay low for weeks, the police will have brought in homicide detectives that will search for any trace of evidence that could link you, and then if you do get caught you'll be in jail for significantly longer. No one wants to add a murder charge to their robbery.
Not all criminals are rational actors.

While I agree that a company has a right to fire someone for carrying against company policy (unless the law preempts them), I think those policies are poor choices.

As to the Monday Morning QB issues.  Every robbery is going to be different.  Sometimes robbers grab a handful of stuff and run.  Other times, they herd the employees into a back room and execute them.  I'll side with the employee, if they felt that the robbers were likely to hurt them or their customers.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

I couldn't tell what was going on in the video.
13rin
+977|6450

ghettoperson wrote:

13rin wrote:

It must be terrifying being you.
Not really.  I'm armed and my State's law protects me rather than the criminal.  What's your excuse?  Ignorance is bliss?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Jay wrote:

An armed robbery is already an uncontrolled situation. What if the fucks were crazy enough to shoot everyone as an afterthought? I don't really blame the guy, but self-defense with a firearm is pretty much always a gamble that you're not going to hit a bystander.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard