Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

From what I have read its been one of the worst in decades. Anyone on the forum been significantly affected by it?
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6495

Texas has. they're dealing with wildfires now. i wonder if Michelle O'Bachman will say this is because Rick Parry's in the race . . .
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England
Meanwhile, we had the wettest August on record up here.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6540|Texas - Bigger than France
Yeah, ready for summer to end.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6495

Jay wrote:

climate change, innit . . .
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

13urnzz wrote:

Jay wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_nina
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6409|'Murka

Worst drought on record now, IIRC. Or, it's the local news over-dramatizing things again...

About to go into stage 3 water restrictions for the first time ever. No fireworks on July 4th. Massive wildfires in the west part of the state earlier in the year. Reports of farmers losing crops and herds.

Other than that...no.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6707|England. Stoke

FEOS wrote:

Worst draught on record no.
Better go to a different pub
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6495

FEOS wrote:

Worst drought on record now, IIRC. Or, it's the local news over-dramatizing things again...

About to go into stage 3 water restrictions for the first time ever. No fireworks on July 4th. Massive wildfires in the west part of the state earlier in the year. Reports of farmers losing crops and herds.

Other than that...no.
maybe you should export the hot air. er, nevermind, Parry's running for federal office.
my uncle lost 80 head of cattle in the fire. The lake i grew up going to is almost empty due to nearby cities in need. bah humbug
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6672|Canberra, AUS

Jay wrote:

13urnzz wrote:

Jay wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_nina
We're coming out of it now. Should be to about neutral soon, but I have a nasty feeling about late 2012.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
HITNRUNXX
+220|6707|Oklahoma City
I am in Oklahoma. My pretty green grass is now only dirt. The wildfires are moving into north Oklahoma City from where they started nearer to Tulsa.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-firefighters … le/3600142
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

Less preciptation on the west coast and more on the east coast is a predicted potential result of climate change.

Its the same in Aus, WA is dry, Queensland much wetter.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

Less preciptation on the west coast and more on the east coast is a predicted potential result of climate change.

La nina, occam's razor is correct
-Frederick Bastiat
mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6714|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX
I haven't been directly affected by it, but you know it's bad when there are a fair number of people who are actually hoping a hurricane nails the coast this year.
Spark
+874|6672|Canberra, AUS

Jay wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

La nina, occam's razor is correct
tbf some of the anomalous weather patterns in the last year are a bit out of character for a standard la nina, and more in character for slightly warmer than avg ocean temps. however yeah the one dilbert mentions are classic la nina.

however yeah the last year is la nina. think we're still in a slight la nina based on the amount of rainfall on the nsw coast this winter... although i have to say this winter has been nonsensically warm in canberra at least. we've been very fortunate with a few big, stable highs floating around the tasman drawing in warm air from the north.

Last edited by Spark (2011-09-02 21:12:29)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
And if climate change meant we had La Nina every year?
These systems are fickle and unstable, doesn't take much to tip them over.
Spark
+874|6672|Canberra, AUS
errrrr it won't. we'll get severe la ninas but far less of them - more el ninos in future.

this, incidentally, is the first genuine la nina we've had in at least a decade. which is a ridiculously long time between drinks.

Last edited by Spark (2011-09-03 06:19:25)

~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Spark wrote:

errrrr it won't. we'll get severe la ninas but far less of them - more el ninos in future.

this, incidentally, is the first genuine la nina we've had in at least a decade. which is a ridiculously long time between drinks.
Pretty hard to predict for sure.
Spark
+874|6672|Canberra, AUS
the models are very very good at this sort of thing. modern models of this kind eat this stuff for breakfast, they only really start to struggle once you try and impose weird physical constraints on them (like a superheated plasma in a super strong magnetic field)
~ Richard Feynman
TravisC555
+118|6217|Cox Convention Center, OK

mcgid1 wrote:

I haven't been directly affected by it, but you know it's bad when there are a fair number of people who are actually hoping a hurricane nails the coast this year.
Ya, too bad Lee is predicted to head towards the Eastern states.
menzo
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏&#
+616|6444|Amsterdam‫
you can have some of you wettest summer ever rain
https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/menzo2003/fredbf2.png
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6540|Texas - Bigger than France
So this weekend the sky was hazy from morning to night, despite a nice wind.  Smoke hazing up the sky.
mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6714|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX
As an update, I'm away at school but my home is in Austin and my parents have said that the smoke from the fires is unbelievable.  I don't think there's much of a threat to my home right now, but things on the outskirts and suburbs of the city aren't looking too good.  Having been to a couple of the places that are currently piles of ash right now, I can say that the fires aren't that close to the city, but they aren't that far away either.
look how the wind factors in

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard