Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5553|Toronto

A friend of mine sent me this link a couple of days ago, and I find it raises an interesting question for debate.

Has the US effectively recreated slavery through it's prison work system? Steven Fry gives some astonishing figures as to just how much of America's goods are produced using prison labor. Should the inmates be paid fair wage (and what would this be?), or is it completely fine to force them to work for next to nothing? They are convicted criminals, but does this mean they can be coerced as such?
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
jsnipy
+3,276|6532|...

Slavery from both prison system and credit system
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5046|Massachusetts, USA
Death row inmates should be given a choice, fight each other to the death or take the lethal injection.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6420|'Murka

Next to nothing is still 100% more than slaves get.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5595

Must be joking jsnipy.

Anyway..

So 99.3% percent of our population isn't in prison? Holy crap that's slavery!!! Disregarding how that's an insult to the American slavery institution which held huge amounts of people and was the backbone of the south's economy or how in Iran, China and a few other places you run a higher chance of getting executed than imprisoned I'll instead argue around the video.

First off Stephen Fryer seems a bit ignorant of how our system works. The three strikes policy is determined state by state. It's not a blanket policy that covers all of America. In the my state the prisons are revolving doors since we don't have a three strikes policy. Furthermore in states with three strikes laws a certain amount of them have to be forceful felonies like assaults and mugging.

The stuff produced by the workers are used to ease the burden of tax payers for holding up the the prison. Free up state money for other programs or rolling over any profit into crime prevention is smart management.

We couldn't pay them a fair wage (whatever the hell that is) and still make enough to cover even a bit of prison cost or compete with foreign products. The reason why prisoners produce so much of that stuff is because labor laws in the U.S. don't allow domestic companies to compete with Chinese slave wages (for better or for worse). It's wage laws and economics. Not a conspiracy to keep the brother enslaved.

Finally, most of those people are there on their own in the first place. My heart breaks for the people in there for victimless crimes like selling some pot and stuff but in the end it's not like we have groups going into Detroit to capture and enslave workers.

But whatever Stephen Fry so clever tehehehe

Now if you want to have a discussion about the U.S. industrial prison complex and how that's a mess we have to work out I would be very interested. But the video in the OP is Dilbert territory.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6158|'straya
It's also a comedy show so they aren't going to launch into a 2 hour discussion of the exact workings of the American prison system. Naturally they are going to gloss over some things when they discuss something this complex for 3 minutes while attempting to remain entertaining.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5595

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

It's also a comedy show so they aren't going to launch into a 2 hour discussion of the exact workings of the American prison system. Naturally they are going to gloss over some things when they discuss something this complex for 3 minutes while attempting to remain entertaining.
Well then I guess we shouldn't, I don't fucking know, not make DST threads with it?
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6510|so randum
it's a talking point no? seems more legit than the majority of threads posted here
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6158|'straya

Macbeth wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Well then I guess we shouldn't, I don't fucking know, not make DST threads with it?
Excellent, just enough immediate hostility to remind me that I've strayed into D&ST.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6510|so randum
sorry LBJ, dst is for superstar threads like 'how do you say the date' http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=143825
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5368|London, England

FatherTed wrote:

it's a talking point no? seems more legit than the majority of threads posted here
Not really. The premise is completely retarded. Slaves didn't volunteer to go into slavery. Prisoners do volunteer to go to prison. Most of them are quite happy to do whatever job is offered to them because it means a break from their cells. If they make a little money on the side for cigarettes and such? So much the better.

It's not like the products they produce are competing against private industry anyway. They make license plates and furniture for military barracks and such. They aren't building automobiles or airplanes or computers
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6420|'Murka

FatherTed wrote:

sorry LBJ, dst is for superstar threads like 'how do you say the date' http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=143825
Haters gonna hate.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6115|eXtreme to the maX
Its re-created slavery through the process of allowing in illegals, allowing companies to hire them below minimum wage without healthcare coverage, health and safety etc, and sitting back and doing nothing about it.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6785|Moscow, Russia

Pochsy wrote:

Has the US effectively recreated slavery through it's prison work system? Steven Fry gives some astonishing figures as to just how much of America's goods are produced using prison labor. Should the inmates be paid fair wage (and what would this be?), or is it completely fine to force them to work for next to nothing? They are convicted criminals, but does this mean they can be coerced as such?
this^
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6661|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

Its re-created slavery through the process of allowing in illegals, allowing companies to hire them below minimum wage without healthcare coverage, health and safety etc, and sitting back and doing nothing about it.
Not sure companies are allowed to hire illegal aliens I kinda thought it was against the law. Am I wrong about that?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6781|PNW

There's ups and downs to both paid prisoner labor and free prisoner labor.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5711|College Park, MD

lowing wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Not sure companies are allowed to hire illegal aliens I kinda thought it was against the law. Am I wrong about that?
If a law is not enforced is it really even a law?
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6115|eXtreme to the maX

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

There you go.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6681|UK
ideally, laws shouldn't need to be enforced.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6661|USA

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

You mean like existing immigration laws that are being ignored by the federal govt. but enforced by AZ and is now considered racism because they enforce it?  Yeah I guess you are right

Laws that say they shouldn't be here in the first place. you gunna respect the enforcement of those laws?

Last edited by lowing (2011-08-21 07:21:09)

BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6777

UnkleRukus wrote:

Death row inmates should be given a choice, fight each other to the death or take the lethal injection.
The winner gets lethal injection
Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6742|Cambridge, England

m3thod wrote:

ideally, laws shouldn't need to be enforced.
Then they aren't needed. Not needing to be enforced implies that it would happen anyway.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard