Shem
sɥǝɯ
+152|6537|London (At Heart)

So, today I was feeling lazy and decided to go to the shops for lunch rather than making my own. I went to the shops maybe 5 minutes down the road and returned to my flat within 10 to 15 minutes of leaving. When I got back to the flat I noticed my door was ajar and immediately became suspicious, as I entered the flat I heard a bang up stairs and run up to confront a man holding my monitor.

I immediately tackled the guy and fumbled to get my phone out of my pocket to call 999, during this he slipped out from underneath me and climbed over the balcony to my front room, I ran down the stairs and saw him trying to climb out of my third floor window, I dragged him back inside as despite the idiot trying to steal my things I didn't want him to break his neck. He swings round and starts to pull something out of his back pocket and evidently thinks flight wasn't working it's time to fight, i simply screamed at him to just get out and he scarpers.

My question is, what would you do if you walked in on a burglar? I had many opportunitys to seriously hurt him or incapicate him but decided against it, preferring to just risk scuffling with him despite him having a weapon. Would you have hurt him in the preservation of your property or would you have left the flat and simply phoned the police?
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5483|Ventura, California
I wonder what the best thing to do is as well. Should you beat the shit out of the guy and get his ass sent off to jail, or let him go to avoid injury to yourself, but let him get away to rob another day.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6661|USA
Well since I CCW, I would have drawn down on him. If that didn't stop him in his tracks and he threatened me even further, I would have shot him, and not to wound. For your own safety you did the worse possible thing you could have done. Attack him without knowing if he was armed while knowing you weren't. You were lucky.

Last edited by lowing (2011-08-20 10:50:29)

-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
Shem, was he a big guy, about your size, or some scrawny little kid?
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6479

I can already imagine Shifty beating the shit out of someone.
https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
Shem
sɥǝɯ

Nah, he wasn't a particularly big guy, 5' 8" maybe while I'm 6' 2"

And I agree lowing stupid but was my first reaction
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
What was he pulling out, a knife?
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6009|...
Some guys broke in my house a few months ago. One entered my room, as soon as he saw me he asked some question and ran out (tripped over the stairs as well lol).

All happened in maybe 20-30 seconds, didn't really react much - for all I knew it could've been my landlord letting people in, happens sometimes.
inane little opines
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6510|so randum
i dont really know what i'd do. if he was in the process of nicking something pretty unimportant in the grand scheme of things (say, a dvd player) i'd tell him to gtfo, call the police and not directly escalate the situation with him.

if he was smacked up and pulled a knife, probably grab the baseball bat v0v
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6661|USA

Shem wrote:

Nah, he wasn't a particularly big guy, 5' 8" maybe while I'm 6' 2"

And I agree lowing stupid but was my first reaction
wouldn't call ya stupid, your first reaction was to defend your property and yourself, understandable. You could have done both with a quick draw and wouldn't even have to touch him
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6661|USA

FatherTed wrote:

i dont really know what i'd do. if he was in the process of nicking something pretty unimportant in the grand scheme of things (say, a dvd player) i'd tell him to gtfo, call the police and not directly escalate the situation with him.

ok now I am gunna throw up.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5760|شمال
same as ted..
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6749|Toronto | Canada

i live in canada.  we leave our doors unlocked when we're out of the house because we trust each other not to steal
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6510|so randum

lowing wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

why? if its something involving my family/friends or directly threatening my life then yeah i'll happily respond equally, but i don't see the point in potentially getting killed over a dvd player.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Shem
sɥǝɯ

It was metal but I didn't take my time getting a good look shifty and lowing being a Brit that wasn't an option :p
jsnipy
+3,276|6532|...

lowing wrote:

Well since I CCW, I would have drawn down on him.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5595

Rape him as a show of power then let him go

Well it depends on what he does. If it's teens or younger have them arrested. No matter what.

Someone my age or older : Just make sure he doesn't take anything and then let him go. If he seems like a person in genuine need I wouldn't mind letting him take some food and drinks before letting him go and calling police.

Violence to defend myself and stuff is always on the table and running like a botch is also an option.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5760|شمال
Fucking cowboys
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6510|so randum

Shem wrote:

It was metal but I didn't take my time getting a good look shifty and lowing being a Brit that wasn't an option :p
worth pointing out before this gets jumped on that a) we can own firearms and b)as clarified fairly recently, we can use force to defend ourselves+property with no fear of repercussion

ie, if someone points a gun to the head of one of my uncles kids, he's well within his rights to blow the guys head off.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6661|USA

FatherTed wrote:

lowing wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

why? if its something involving my family/friends or directly threatening my life then yeah i'll happily respond equally, but i don't see the point in potentially getting killed over a dvd player.
He is in your house, he is violating your home and you, I don't care what he was taking. You grabbing the bat ( if not a gun) should be high on your list regardless as to what he had tried to take.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6510|so randum

lowing wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

lowing wrote:

He is in your house, he is violating your home and you, I don't care what he was taking. You grabbing the bat ( if not a gun) should be high on your list regardless as to what he had tried to take.
different strokes i suppose v0v
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6661|USA

Shem wrote:

yeah i know...a shame really.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6661|USA

FatherTed wrote:

lowing wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

different strokes i suppose v0v
I mean hell, why not help him load your shit in his car if you are going to act like that?
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6510|so randum
don't over-exaggerate what i'm saying lowing. there's a difference between not getting in his way over something trivial and letting the police and insurance sort it out, and loading my shit in his car
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6661|USA

FatherTed wrote:

don't over-exaggerate what i'm saying lowing. there's a difference between not getting in his way over something trivial and letting the police and insurance sort it out, and loading my shit in his car
really? like what? I mean you are not gunna interfere because you can't be bothered to protect your own property, so tell me, whats the difference? By your attitude, if ya helped him, he would leave sooner, right?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard