Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England
Those sentences are pretty ridiculous, but hardly surprising. I won't shed a tear for any of them though.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
jord
+2,382|6678|The North, beyond the wall.

lowing wrote:

jord wrote:

lowing wrote:

You gotta be shitting me!!! If your govt. CREATED such a pressure on your life?   What pressure did they CREATE? NOT paying your way through life is undeserved pressure for you? EXPECTING someone else to flip the bill for your existence and then they don't, is pressure you shouldn't have to endure? Your bullshit about the govt. pressures you by not hand holding you is the problem, not the govt.
I'd assume he's talking more about a heavy handed police force, though I don't know if he's doing a hypothetical on UK residents or speaking for his own country.

Either way I sincerely doubt he's talking about lack of welfare creating pressure on his life...
No he is talking about wanting to let off some steam as well, if the govt. pressured him too much. That can not be taken any other way than how it was said.
I know it can't, he said if the government pressured him he'd want to let off steam. How do you get into an attack on welfare from that? I'd just assume he's talking about the police here, afterall that's what sparked the events... Though it wasn't the cause of what happened elsewhere, it was just the start of the snowball.
jord

Jay wrote:

Those sentences are pretty ridiculous, but hardly surprising. I won't shed a tear for any of them though.
I know you like me, and I know you like macbeth. Well we've come to this conclusion:

Macbeth wrote:

jord wrote:

I'd agree with the justice advocates, it is too severe. It's an inflated sentance based on public anger, tired migistrates under a lot of pressure and kneejerk reactions. There isn't some elite that organised the whole thing that you can pin large sentances on and be done with it.
So I mean, feel free to fall in line with that.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

Legally I'm sure what he did was covered under the first amendment here. To be charged with inciting a riot there has to be a riot.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

jord wrote:

lowing wrote:

jord wrote:

I'd assume he's talking more about a heavy handed police force, though I don't know if he's doing a hypothetical on UK residents or speaking for his own country.

Either way I sincerely doubt he's talking about lack of welfare creating pressure on his life...
No he is talking about wanting to let off some steam as well, if the govt. pressured him too much. That can not be taken any other way than how it was said.
I know it can't, he said if the government pressured him he'd want to let off steam. How do you get into an attack on welfare from that? I'd just assume he's talking about the police here, afterall that's what sparked the events... Though it wasn't the cause of what happened elsewhere, it was just the start of the snowball.
He said he would want to let off some steam as well. As if, he understands those that actually DID "let off some steam" IE riot. and thinks they rioted because the govt. pressured them too much.
jord

lowing wrote:

jord wrote:

lowing wrote:

He said he would want to let off some steam as well. As if, he understands those that actually DID "let off some steam" IE riot. and thinks they rioted because the govt. pressured them too much.
Right I'm following you, so how do you go government pressured them too much to the topic of welfare?

And just so you know, there's been very little change to welfare over the last few years, so I very much doubt it's any kind of trigger. (Unless someone has been just festering with rage over changes made some number of years ago)
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

jord wrote:

lowing wrote:

jord wrote:

Right I'm following you, so how do you go government pressured them too much to the topic of welfare?

And just so you know, there's been very little change to welfare over the last few years, so I very much doubt it's any kind of trigger. (Unless someone has been just festering with rage over changes made some number of years ago)
THe govt. can only pressure you in 2 ways in a western society regarding this topic...By taking too much of your wealth for redistribution or not giving enough to those wanting to be distributed to. I will let you decide which category this guy fits into.
jord

lowing wrote:

jord wrote:

lowing wrote:

THe govt. can only pressure you in 2 ways in a western society regarding this topic...By taking too much of your wealth for redistribution or not giving enough to those wanting to be distributed to. I will let you decide which category this guy fits into.
Well police harassment is another way they can pressure you.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

jord wrote:

lowing wrote:

jord wrote:

Yeah, I can't count how many times the cops have harassed me every week. How about you? You know what he said and you know what he meant. Stop defending his ass. He feels pressured by the govt. to perform because he is not getting handout the way he thinks he should.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Not everyone that is harassed by cops is guilty lowing... A large police presence tends to appear in neighborhoods where the crime rate is higher, yes, but the cops are human and bother the innocent far more often than they bother the guilty. Law of averages; 'criminals' make up a small portion of any subsection of society and are next to impossible to differentiate by sight. Does wearing saggy pants in a neighborhood full of drug dealers make one a criminal? No. It makes him normal, he wants to fit in with the culture of his community just like you do in yours.

Am I siding with these people? No. I say if you don't want to be harassed, move, or snitch (quietly). But those are not real world options, especially when it might be a family member that is putting you in the situation.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
jord

lowing wrote:

jord wrote:

lowing wrote:

Yeah, I can't count how many times the cops have harassed me every week. How about you? You know what he said and you know what he meant. Stop defending his ass. He feels pressured by the govt. to perform because he is not getting handout the way he thinks he should.
No I don't know what he meant and neither do you. Government pressure can be taking other ways than just "theyz getting less welfare money they pissed". This is a moot argument until he comes online and elaborates.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

Jay wrote:

Not everyone that is harassed by cops is guilty lowing... A large police presence tends to appear in neighborhoods where the crime rate is higher, yes, but the cops are human and bother the innocent far more often than they bother the guilty. Law of averages; 'criminals' make up a small portion of any subsection of society and are next to impossible to differentiate by sight. Does wearing saggy pants in a neighborhood full of drug dealers make one a criminal? No. It makes him normal, he wants to fit in with the culture of his community just like you do in yours.

Am I siding with these people? No. I say if you don't want to be harassed, move, or snitch (quietly). But those are not real world options, especially when it might be a family member that is putting you in the situation.
First, he didn't say he was harassed by the cops, he said "if he were pressured by the govt. he would feel the need to let off some steam." You know what he was saying there. there is no need to try and sugar coat it.

Secondly, I have never not once EVER been pressured by the cops, that would cause me to burn down someone elses business, murder, vandalize or loot and I seriously doubt you have either, and I also doubt the vast majority of those assholes that did those things, have either
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Then you've never been poor.
-Frederick Bastiat
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6667

Jay wrote:

Being poor =/= excuse to be a criminal.  All about character.  I'd trust the illegal trimming my lawn before any suburbia wannabe rapper with entitlement issues.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Ilocano wrote:

Jay wrote:

Being poor =/= excuse to be a criminal.  All about character.  I'd trust the illegal trimming my lawn before any suburbia wannabe rapper with entitlement issues.
Well, that's part of it. It's not so much entitlement, as it is filling peoples heads with lofty goals. We live in a world where people want to be rich and famous like they see on tv. They want to be on MTV Cribs (or whatever the equivalent is today). They want the Bentley's and the Lexus'. The media has marketed it as the penultimate goal. That, coupled with stuff like 'The American Dream' where we tell people they can go from rags to riches, and you end up with a lot of people with big goals and no hope of getting there.

You don't get that issue with immigrants, or children of immigrants. Their goals are usually much simpler. Provide for their kids, and give them a better life than they had themselves. That's my goal anyway, and I know that I share it with the vast majority of hispanics I've worked with. It means working shitty jobs if that's what's available to you. It means making sacrifices. Simple goals, but you get a payoff in the end.

People that turn to crime generally do so because they want the end goal, but either don't understand the steps to get there, or they want to take shortcuts. This is why you can always tell who the drug dealer is in the projects: look at the car he's driving. Work sucks, and working shitty jobs sucks even harder. The only way you'll ever get people to stop being wannabe thugs is to somehow instill some sort of family ethic in them. Not to sound like a social conservative (because I'm not one, at all), but it's the increasing destruction of the family unit that leads to crime than anything else. I don't know many fathers that turn to crime when they have a dependent wife and kids waiting at home for them.

I dunno, I don't have any solutions.
-Frederick Bastiat
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

Jay wrote:

I see, so, are you saying being poor is the same as being a criminal or justifies being a criminal?

They were fuckin teenagers Jay, they were not laid off stock brokers that had it all the nlost everything. Hardly anyone is rich at the ages these assholes are at now, yet still somehow, manage to go through life without blowing up a single business, or looting. they have to earn their way through life getting experience, raises, and education along the way. Of course this is the problem, they don't wanna be bothered with any of that stuff.

Last edited by lowing (2011-08-18 15:42:11)

Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6732|Cambridge, England

lowing wrote:

Jay wrote:

I see, so, are you saying being poor is the same as being a criminal or justifies being a criminal?

They were fuckin teenagers Jay, they were not laid off stock brokers that had it all the nlost everything. Hardly anyone is rich at the ages these assholes are at now, yet still somehow, manage to go through life without blowing up a single business, or looting. they have to earn their way through life getting experience, raises, and education along the way. Of course this is the problem, they don't wanna be bothered with any of that stuff.
Actually the biggest demographic of rioters is 20s-30s

Not "fucking teenagers" at all.

H2H
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Jay wrote:

Actually the biggest demographic of rioters is 20s-30s

Not "fucking teenagers" at all.

H2H
better try again slick
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14489984

20 to 24 was the most by 4% while 15-19 made up next group at 33%. The rest were distant 3rd 4th etc...

No doubt, this is where you will move to the literal wording instead of just taking the post in the context as it was meant as a whole.
Cheeky_Ninja06
Can I point out that 20-30 totals 49% of all charged and 66% are between 20 and 40.

Last edited by Cheeky_Ninja06 (2011-08-19 09:51:23)

RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6737|Oxferd Ohire
why would you lump ages 20-40 together.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Cheeky_Ninja06

RTHKI wrote:

"20s and 30s"

i.e. old enough to have a job etc not the wave of teenagers Lowing was talking about that had yet to experience the real world.

Last edited by Cheeky_Ninja06 (2011-08-19 10:13:24)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

Can I point out that 20-30 totals 49% of all charged and 66% are between 20 and 40.
Look, don't even try it. the VAST majority of those idiots, 69% in the top 2 groups were younger than 24. So please stop with the maneuvering. They were teenagers and young 20 somethings. My post about them stands.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

RTHKI wrote:

lol take a wild guess why he would.
Cheeky_Ninja06

lowing wrote:

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

Look, don't even try it. the VAST majority of those idiots, 69% in the top 2 groups were younger than 24. So please stop with the maneuvering. They were teenagers and young 20 somethings. My post about them stands.
Jay said they were young people who wanted to take a shortcut to get rich. You said they were too young to be considering it. 20+ does not count as naive children.

By your previous posts there was a clear inferrence that everbody in the rioting was too young to have a job or even have finished their education. Go read your posts and ask if that still applies at mid twenties.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

Jay said they were young people who wanted to take a shortcut to get rich. You said they were too young to be considering it. 20+ does not count as naive children.

By your previous posts there was a clear inferrence that everbody in the rioting was too young to have a job or even have finished their education. Go read your posts and ask if that still applies at mid twenties.
No, clearly my post was meant that at the ages of those rioting, they were no where near the point of making any real money, just like the rest of us at those ages, yes even 20 fuckin 4.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard