Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Trying to argue with someone who has been indoctrinated from birth in fruitcakery is utterly futile.
The just don't have the thought processes to engage with.
Your viewpoint is equally as absurd. Prove there is no god. You can't. Your belief is faith based, just like theirs.
Prove we don't live on the back of a turtle.

Believing we live in some complex construct run by an imaginary being who chooses not to prove his own existence based on no evidence whatever is different from not being sure where we are or what we're doing here.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6768|Moscow, Russia

Spark wrote:

and the assertion that there do not exist two perfectly equal objects is not strictly true
yeah, yeah, i knew a physicist would poke this at me. the truth is, you don't really know yet. every time you declare "we found the most basic particles everything is made out of" some new shit unaccounted for emerges.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS
that's what makes it fun!
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5351|London, England

Shahter wrote:

Spark wrote:

Shahter wrote:

they have also been completely disproven, by means of mathematics no less. in the realm of logic the concepts of "absolute" and "infinite" only exist as abstract constructs impossible to define or research. i thought, of all people, you would know that.
Um, no. Infinity is an extremely subtly defined and very well-researched topic in mathematics.
/sigh
go back to school.
You go back to school. He is correct.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5351|London, England

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Trying to argue with someone who has been indoctrinated from birth in fruitcakery is utterly futile.
The just don't have the thought processes to engage with.
Your viewpoint is equally as absurd. Prove there is no god. You can't. Your belief is faith based, just like theirs.
Prove we don't live on the back of a turtle.

Believing we live in some complex construct run by an imaginary being who chooses not to prove his own existence based on no evidence whatever is different from not being sure where we are or what we're doing here.
I don't care what people believe in. If you want to believe the universe sits on the shell of a turtle, go for it. It's not doing me any harm. Now, if they try to compel people to follow them I will take issue with it. Until then? Doesn't impact my life so I couldn't care less.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6463
belief is idealism, metaphysics, romanticism.

'knowledge' in the sense that the OP is using it basically equates to empiricism, experentialism, rationalism.

both powerful forces (and both key to human experience and overall understanding)
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

Tell him Catholics thought it was God's law to burn Jews alive if they were caught secretly practicing their religion during the Inquisition.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
eleven bravo
+1,399|5252|foggy bottom
as far as a i know only a handful of people were killed by the inquisition in the 4 centuries it was around.  a few thousand.  most jews converted.
Tu Stultus Es
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6463

eleven bravo wrote:

as far as a i know only a handful of people were killed by the inquisition in the 4 centuries it was around.  a few thousand.  most jews converted.
uuuuum what
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
eleven bravo
+1,399|5252|foggy bottom
Tu Stultus Es
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6463
you do realize there were more inquisitions than the spanish one, right? according to where the papal empire was situated.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5252|foggy bottom
yes but the one we hear the most about was the spanish one.   im guess you were awar only 3000 people died with that one, right?
Tu Stultus Es
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6463
nope. the spanish one isn't the one most heard about... it was the most corrupt one, certainly. held the most trials. but the most business? lol... medieval inquisitions and holy roman inquisitions were far worse. not to mention all of the wars and conflicts and other political actions caused directly by the papal influence or the state pressures of the inquisition. estimates for the inquisition over 6 centuries are around 5 million people killed directly or as a consequence of inquisition's activities. back then 5 million was a huge population, too, relative. of course the inquisition wasn't a killing machine on the scale of a nazi genocide... but they were meant to be a religious organization, ffs. fuck catholics.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5743|شمال
next time don't think too much. just reply with "amen bro". he is happy, you are happy...everyone is happy
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6706|Purplicious Wisconsin

Jay wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Jay wrote:

Russels Teapot. As per hurricanes post, second  in this thread...

And his belief isn't based on faith, but evidence. You don't need faith gravity works to believe in it, when you have evidence with repeatable experiments to prove it.
No, but he can look at gravity and think of it as part of his gods plan. Same for the big bang. If someone looks at evolution and chalks up that process to his deities plan I'm perfectly ok with it.

I just cant stand creationist types that think science is their enemy. Science neither proves nor disproves the presence of a deity. That's not its purpose. The sooner both sides stop trying to wield it as a weapon in their perpetual argument the better off we'll all be.
Science isn't an enemy to creationists, it is simply what we so far understand of God's world.

Last edited by War Man (2011-07-09 10:43:37)

The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6463
that's very convenient, war man!
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

eleven bravo wrote:

They fake converted, then when they got busted having secret Jewish marriages they were burned.

.. and oh yea. The Catholics later made their families dig up their bones with their bare hands. Then the Church taxed them. Real Jesus-Like.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
menzo
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏&#
+616|6439|Amsterdam‫

War Man wrote:

Jay wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Russels Teapot. As per hurricanes post, second  in this thread...

And his belief isn't based on faith, but evidence. You don't need faith gravity works to believe in it, when you have evidence with repeatable experiments to prove it.
No, but he can look at gravity and think of it as part of his gods plan. Same for the big bang. If someone looks at evolution and chalks up that process to his deities plan I'm perfectly ok with it.

I just cant stand creationist types that think science is their enemy. Science neither proves nor disproves the presence of a deity. That's not its purpose. The sooner both sides stop trying to wield it as a weapon in their perpetual argument the better off we'll all be.
Science isn't an enemy to creationists, it is simply what we so far understand of God's world.
Or "god" is simply what we don't understand of the world.
https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/menzo2003/fredbf2.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6625|949

no menzo, that's called ignorance
menzo
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏&#
+616|6439|Amsterdam‫
how I see it, people have throughout history used "god" to fill the gaps the the things we don't yet understand.

People thought lightning was the wrath of god, now we know it is the statical discharge of a potential difference between the earth and clouds.

God is a pace holder that is there until science can explain it. therefore I think the decline of religion throughout the world makes perfectly sense, we need the pace holder less and less.
https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/menzo2003/fredbf2.png
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6674|Disaster Free Zone
God exists. I even have proof. Heres a picture.

Last edited by DrunkFace (2011-07-09 13:53:06)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6625|949

menzo wrote:

how I see it, people have throughout history used "god" to fill the gaps the the things we don't yet understand.

People thought lightning was the wrath of god, now we know it is the statical discharge of a potential difference between the earth and clouds.

God is a pace holder that is there until science can explain it. therefore I think the decline of religion throughout the world makes perfectly sense, we need the pace holder less and less.
no, gods have always been anthropomorphic figures.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6767|Noizyland

The period between the time religious scriptures were written and modern science is gargantuan. Religious scriptures were written between about 2000 BC and 200 AD. Modern science starts with people like Newton and Galileo in the 17th century. This being the case how can there be any science in religon?

This is why you get things like "intelligent design" and that human/dinosaur theory I was rabbiting on about in that Sarah Palin thread. Religion has no science and is franticly trying to fill the gaps - or plain ignoring them. Islam still worships a black rock that fell from heaven despite the fact that in this day and age we know what a fucking meteorite is.

Of course it's all about faith but I'm tired of faith being lauded as a good thing.

My main problem with religion isn't that it's stupid it's that it sells certainty. Especially when throughout human history the trend suggests we are a species that gets shit constantly wrong. How can there be such widespread certainty? And in questions were not even close to answering, the 'if there a God' question and the 'what happens after we die' questions. I don't know the answer to these questions but a religious person will tell you that there is a God and when you die you get to hang with him and all his pals for eternity. And you know, maybe there is a God and He exists outside all bounds of what we understand - but we don't know this and in fact by this definition we can't know this.

This "what if you're wrong"/"well what if you're wrong" argument doesn't get us anywhere, clearly the best thing to have faith in is the fact that everyone could be wrong and what we interpret as reality is just the daydreams of a brain being kept alive by a mad scientist in a lab somewhere.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6685
I don't believe religious stories and myths were made up from people's heads. They are long diluted and misinterpreted histories. At some point the idea of gods emerge. From what history?

Many creation myths and epic tales of religions describe natural phenomena as the work of gods. The great flood is mentioned in countless world religions. Around 8,000 BCE the Pleistocene ended with the melting of the glacial sheets. Sea levels world wide rose hundreds of feet. Every coastal community in the world would have been destroyed and submerged. The Bahamas were one island, as were much of the Greater Antilles. The land bride of Beringia was much more than a bridge, the continents connected with a strip of land the same breadth as Alaska. The British Isles and Scandinavia were one with Eurasia. Australia and New Guinea formed one land mass known as Sahul.

But what of the godly characters that are implanted in this true event? Were some being actually at work here, snatching up animals? There is so much tantalizing evidence, but all so futile.   

Imagine a future in which we might peer into the past to fully know ourselves. Imagine a trans-dimensional astro-projection into another time. Ghostly observing life.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS
Modern science starts with people like Alhazen in the 11th century.
Fixed.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard