13rin
+977|6481

lowing wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. Yeah it's sad that the guy died but he chose to ride without a helmet, presumably aware of the risks. His own personal choice.
The point of this thread is to find out if people think helmet laws are intrusion on personal lives by govt.
I'd be the only guy to show up to the protest with a helmet on.  Why?  Because I chose to wear it.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6570|Mountains of NC

I'll show up in my truck
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5180|Sydney

lowing wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. Yeah it's sad that the guy died but he chose to ride without a helmet, presumably aware of the risks. His own personal choice.
The point of this thread is to find out if people think helmet laws are intrusion on personal lives by govt.
And then troll them relentlessly
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5360|London, England

13rin wrote:

Jay wrote:

13rin wrote:

How far were you from home?  Less than 10 miles?
About a half hour, why?
I had just read that most people who fall are in their comfort zone of only a few miles away where they're staying.  As I've ridden with similar attire to yours, it has usually been a quick trip up to the store.
The three times I went down all had to do with the weather. The first was sand. The second was in the fall and the road was covered in wet leaves and my back tire slid out from underneath me when I came to a quick stop at a light. The last, I went down at 70 mph in the rain while trying to change lanes. Was looking over my right shoulder, moved over, looked up, and realized I was halfway into a curve and dumped it before I smacked a tree. I was wearing riding gear each time thankfully.

I think it has less to do with being within ones comfort zone, and a lot more to do with the fact that the majority of peoples driving is done within a few miles of home.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6001|Vortex Ring State

13rin wrote:

lowing wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I'd be the only guy to show up to the protest with a helmet on.  Why?  Because I chose to wear it.
hahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaa
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6544|Texas - Bigger than France

lowing wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

What do you think?
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6777|Moscow, Russia
my brother's hardcore biker, he even completed some of those ridiculous iron butt challenges. he used to only wear goggles and a baseball cap until at a speed of about 120 kmph he caught what looked like a big may bug with his forehead. the bruise was so big and painful he had to call sick and stay at home for a couple of days.

to conclude: don't be an idiot, wear a helmet.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Pug wrote:

lowing wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

What do you think?
I think it is a govt. intrusion on personal choice. Bikers know the risks they take and no one else gets hurt by them deciding not to wear a helmet. I would support a one day or half day class to be mandatory before receiving a license about helmet safety, but after that they should be on their own.

I am not a biker, who am I to tell them they MUST wear a helmet when they ride, and why would I care if they don't?
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6777|Moscow, Russia
helmet is not only there to protect the biker, lowing. it is also to protect other people around him from a stone flung by a forward car's wheel at the biker's head causing him to lose control of his vehicle. pretty simple, really.

Last edited by Shahter (2011-07-06 02:25:55)

if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Shahter wrote:

helmet is not only there to protect the biker, lowing. it is also to protect other people around him from a stone flung by a forward car's wheel at the biker's head causing him to lose control of his vehicle. pretty simple, really.
Well considering how many times rocks have flown up and hit my car and truck while driving, I can not argue against your point.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX

lowing wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/motorcyclist-crashes-helmet-law-protest-dies-120444840.html

Biker dies from head injury on a motorcycle ride protesting helmet laws.
So, any of you riders out there NOT wear a helmet?
I thought you were in favour of letting people do what they want?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5180|Sydney

Dilbert_X wrote:

lowing wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/motorcyclist-crashes-helmet-law-protest-dies-120444840.html

Ummm, didn't you just read the above posts?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX

lowing wrote:

Well considering how many times rocks have flown up and hit my car and truck while driving, I can not argue against your point.
So lowing is in favour of the govt restricting personal liberty to protect the majority?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

lowing wrote:

So lowing is in favour of the govt restricting personal liberty to protect the majority?
Well dilbert, yes I am for the govt. restricting personal freedom to protect the majority. I do not think you should be free to yell fire in a movie theater, I do not think you should be free to drive drunk, I do not think you should be free to smoke where ever you want. etc..

I said he has a point that I can not argue against. I did not say the govt. should force bikers to wear helmets because of his argument.

I do like however, no matter what I say, or what you perceive as me saying, you are gunna disagree and start shit.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

lowing wrote:

Nope, I am in favor of letting people do what they want as long as it does not interfere with the "life, liberty or pursuit of happiness" of others.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6673|UK
your oh noes bumboys threads suggests otherwise.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

m3thod wrote:

your oh noes bumboys threads suggests otherwise.
Then you have never read anything I have posted.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5261|foggy bottom
because every single popst of yours talks about how you like sodomy
Tu Stultus Es
i went hiking alone this morning and encountered a black bear.. luckily i had Alan Parsons Proj "Pipeline" blasting and we both kinda freaked out and he ran up the mountainside. Smart for loud music.. but I need some bear spray. It's like i had no helmet and he could just eat my brains if he wanted.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5261|foggy bottom
he wouldnt want to
Tu Stultus Es
Pug

lowing wrote:

Pug wrote:

lowing wrote:

What do you think?
I think it is a govt. intrusion on personal choice. Bikers know the risks they take and no one else gets hurt by them deciding not to wear a helmet. I would support a one day or half day class to be mandatory before receiving a license about helmet safety, but after that they should be on their own.

I am not a biker, who am I to tell them they MUST wear a helmet when they ride, and why would I care if they don't?
Seems like an oddly familar and ironic, given the fact rising health insurance costs are something we all share.

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pi … 2#p3241982

http://www.localinsurance.com/autoinsur … -laws.aspx
-"Institute data suggest that helmet laws have reduced total health care charges for motorcycle accidents in some states."

http://www.realicu.com/content/motorcyc … edom-part1
-"One study found that helmets were 37% effective in preventing death and 65% effective in preventing brain injury."
-"The Pennsylvania motorcycle helmet law was repealed in 2003. The helmet use among riders in crashes decreased from 82% to 58%. Head injury deaths increased 66%; non-head injury deaths increased by 25%. Motorcycle related head injury hospitalizations increased 78% compared with 28% for non-head injury hospitalizations."
-"Several studies have shown that helmets do, indeed, decrease peripheral vision by approximately 20%. This reduction, however, is small and was shown to have no impact on motorcycle safety or collision rate"
-"Most healthcare expenses for the head injured patients occur later during the rehabilitation and placement phases of their recovery. Many patients remain permanently disabled and never return to gainful employment. "
-"If the patient has no insurance, it becomes the taxpayer's responsibility to provide funding for the long term medical care. Even for insured patients, the tremendous cost of caring for the chronically disabled head injured patient reflects in higher insurance premiums and overall healthcare costs.  The individual choice of ignoring personal safety becomes a burden for society."

Last edited by Pug (2011-07-06 09:32:43)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Pug wrote:

lowing wrote:

Pug wrote:

What do you think?

Seems like an oddly familar and ironic, given the fact rising health insurance costs are something we all share.

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pi … 2#p3241982

http://www.localinsurance.com/autoinsur … -laws.aspx
-"Institute data suggest that helmet laws have reduced total health care charges for motorcycle accidents in some states."

http://www.realicu.com/content/motorcyc … edom-part1
-"One study found that helmets were 37% effective in preventing death and 65% effective in preventing brain injury."
-"The Pennsylvania motorcycle helmet law was repealed in 2003. The helmet use among riders in crashes decreased from 82% to 58%. Head injury deaths increased 66%; non-head injury deaths increased by 25%. Motorcycle related head injury hospitalizations increased 78% compared with 28% for non-head injury hospitalizations."
-"Several studies have shown that helmets do, indeed, decrease peripheral vision by approximately 20%. This reduction, however, is small and was shown to have no impact on motorcycle safety or collision rate"
-"Most healthcare expenses for the head injured patients occur later during the rehabilitation and placement phases of their recovery. Many patients remain permanently disabled and never return to gainful employment. "
-"If the patient has no insurance, it becomes the taxpayer's responsibility to provide funding for the long term medical care. Even for insured patients, the tremendous cost of caring for the chronically disabled head injured patient reflects in higher insurance premiums and overall healthcare costs.  The individual choice of ignoring personal safety becomes a burden for society."
You could take that argument quite far, so far in fact, that you yourself will eventually say enough.

Health care does not open the door for people for people do be dictated to as to how to live their lives. Period.
Pug
You are interesting...

...you hate welfare because it's part of the tax you pay, yet when someone shows you how a personal choice will result in more money out of your pocket you ignore it.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Pug wrote:

You are interesting...

...you hate welfare because it's part of the tax you pay, yet when someone shows you how a personal choice will result in more money out of your pocket you ignore it.
not a simple as that Pug. I hate welfare because the recipients contribute nothing to receive it. Health care is just that, and I am willing to pay whatever "extra" costs there is to maintain it, if it keeps us from being dictated to by others as to how to live our lives.

As I said, we could take the argument that you are making to the ends of the earth. We then could argue against skydiving, sports, hiking, hell we could argue against walking across the street. You gotta live your life in such a way that ensures you never get hurt. It is a ridiculous argument.
Pug

lowing wrote:

Pug wrote:

You are interesting...

not a simple as that Pug. I hate welfare because the recipients contribute nothing to receive it. Health care is just that, and I am willing to pay whatever "extra" costs there is to maintain it, if it keeps us from being dictated to by others as to how to live our lives.

As I said, we could take the argument that you are making to the ends of the earth. We then could argue against skydiving, sports, hiking, hell we could argue against walking across the street. You gotta live your life in such a way that ensures you never get hurt. It is a ridiculous argument.
I'm not really interested in paying the extra cost of someone who can't get a fucking job, which for some, is just like not wearing a fucking helmet.

Yes lowing, it is that simple

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard