JdeFalconr
Lex Luthor, King of Australia
+72|6541|Sammamish, WA
Anyone hear any indications as to whether this game is going to be available on Steam for preorder? I see that EA has launched a new game download service (Origin) so I have my doubts, although conversely Steam is a huge outlet for digital game sales. I just hope that EA doesn't try and use BF3 as a lure to get people to start using their Origin service and don't make it available on other online stores.

Last edited by JdeFalconr (2011-06-15 11:26:14)

nickb64
formerly from OC (it's EXACTLY like on tv)[truth]
+77|5609|Greatest Nation on Earth(USA)
It looks like EA is pulling their newest titles off of Steam, and will be trying to use them to promote this Origin bullshit.
Brasso
+1,549|6629

EA's digital download services fucking suck
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6311

EA yanked several of their newest titles from Steam (try searching for Crysis 2 and see). I'm guessing it's because of that Origin shit. All their titles will be offered there from now on.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6462|cuntshitlake

silly ea desperately trying to catch on gaben 10 years too late. too late now that 98% of all pc games are sold through steam.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
JdeFalconr
+72|6541|Sammamish, WA

ebug9 wrote:

EA yanked several of their newest titles from Steam (try searching for Crysis 2 and see). I'm guessing it's because of that Origin shit. All their titles will be offered there from now on.
Actually it looks like Crysis 2 wasn't pulled by EA:

http://m.ign.com/articles/1176517

You would think EA would want their products to be sold in as many stores (online or otherwise) as possible. Of course it has already been established that EA wants to maximize its bottom line at all costs and take care of gamers after the fact. It would be in keeping with their MO to restrict digital distribution to their own service to maximize profits. DICE I could see taking care of business, potentially, but they don't have much say in this part.

Last edited by JdeFalconr (2011-06-15 12:02:26)

bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6311

I wonder what happens to the people that already bought it on Steam
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6173|Sydney | ♥

JdeFalconr wrote:

DICE I could see taking care of business, potentially, but they don't have much say in this part.
Just look at the pack that's coming with BF3 pre-order now.

Notes pointed that DICE had not approved, and it was an EA marketing stunt.

On the steam note, I'd definitely hate it not being on steam. If it isn't, i'll pre-order a hard copy. Even if it does mean I have to wait a few days for it to arrive.

e: not*

Last edited by tazz. (2011-06-16 04:12:20)

everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
jsnipy
+3,276|6521|...

I'd soon not play BF3 if it meant getting off their shit service.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

As long as BF3 works with the Steam interface better than BF2 does, I could care less...so long as I don't have to run GFWL.
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6791|Jupiter
is turning into a monopoly.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
i very much doubt it'll be on steam. isn't ea's new origin service basically meant to be a carbon-copy of steam, only for their own stuff?

doesn't make much sense to pump all that money into development/marketing and then to sell your flagship title on the competitor's platform...
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469

DUnlimited wrote:

silly ea desperately trying to catch on gaben 10 years too late. too late now that 98% of all pc games are sold through steam.
ea have had an online store for years, too. loads of people have - not just steam. the difference is that steam centralized all the community and stats and everything else on one application. but really a lot of that came from the all-seeing-eye / xfire. it's one big copy and compete market, really. steam is the best now, but we'll see. i don't think i'll be using origin much at all.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
dtacs
say that 2 my face fucker not online
+126|5833|Australia
Origin isn't an actual program, think of it as Direct2Drive, simply downloads from a website.

At least thats my understanding.
https://battlelog-cdn.battlefield.com/public/profile/bf3/kit-icon-recon.png?v=3173239
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6151|what

dtacs wrote:

Origin isn't an actual program, think of it as Direct2Drive, simply downloads from a website.

At least thats my understanding.
no they are trying to compete with that COD shit with the prestige service facebook integrated shit.

Wish it was on steam but that looks unlikely.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
dtacs
say that 2 my face fucker not online
+126|5833|Australia
No, Origin is exactly what I described it as. Battlelog is what you're thinking of, and its an entirely different entity.
https://battlelog-cdn.battlefield.com/public/profile/bf3/kit-icon-recon.png?v=3173239
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6437|King Of The Islands

Good thing I'm preordering an import.

Thanks, England.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

Cheez wrote:

Good thing I'm preordering an import.

Thanks, England.
www.play-asia.com

cheapest prices for games to aussie.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Cheez

Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5177|Sydney
Fuck. I should cancel my EA pre-order and go with that one, Cheez.

How do I cancel my pre-order?
Jaekus
+957|5177|Sydney
Figured it out, went onto their live chat assistance and did it from there.
Cheez

Jaekus wrote:

Figured it out, went onto their live chat assistance and did it from there.
Did you ask them why you can ship discs from the other side of the world for half the price of digital distribution?

Conts.
Jaekus
+957|5177|Sydney
Nah, he was too polite. The always are
JdeFalconr
+72|6541|Sammamish, WA
Uh-oh, it looks like BF3 could indeed be exclusive to Origin. From Firingsquad's article on this:

Giant Bomb also says that Alice: Madness Returns and Battlefield 3 were removed from Steam, too, but I don't recall ever seeing Store pages for those games to begin with.
I love it, all these digital distribution channels, in my opinion, just punish the consumer. I don't like the idea of all my digitally owned games being spread across a plethora of online services. I currently have stuff from Steam, Impulse, and a couple on the old EA Downloader store. Now I'll have crap on Origin too if I don't buy BF3 disks?

Last edited by JdeFalconr (2011-06-16 18:56:52)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

eusgen wrote:

is turning into a monopoly.
Monopoly schmonopoly. Plenty of competitors. It's just that Steam does it best for PC.

JdeFalconr wrote:

Uh-oh, it looks like BF3 could indeed be exclusive to Origin. From Firingsquad's article on this:

Giant Bomb also says that Alice: Madness Returns and Battlefield 3 were removed from Steam, too, but I don't recall ever seeing Store pages for those games to begin with.
I love it, all these digital distribution channels, in my opinion, just punish the consumer. I don't like the idea of all my digitally owned games being spread across a plethora of online services. I currently have stuff from Steam, Impulse, and a couple on the old EA Downloader store. Now I'll have crap on Origin too if I don't buy BF3 disks?
I don't care for it either. I have more than enough usernames and passwords to remember on their own without having to deal with Steam, Impulse, GFWL, Relic Online all at once with a bunch of other competitors trying to edge in. If this starts to become more common, I'm just going to go back to primarily buying box copies, or just entirely move over to console.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard