Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

7 more books planned or a series total of 7 books?
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6738|Toronto | Canada

total 7
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

He still has enough time to finish then.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6738|Toronto | Canada

hes 64, looks like this and is taking 5-6 years per book.  75 isnt exactly a typical lifespan for big guys like him

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-lhts_Y41bsI/UCuXT2VZCkI/AAAAAAAABPI/pOSMAyb5igY/s1600/george-rr-martin.jpg
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

Oh dear
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6690|Devon, England

Adams_BJ wrote:

Quiete guys, he's into japenese shows and games with oversize swords and girls with tiny skirts and big eyes. He doesn't have taste.
I am?

Also, I was wrong.

FFLink wrote:

This show is so laughably bad.
It's not the show. It's the story.

Last edited by FFLink (2013-06-05 03:29:23)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

I like the story. What do you find wrong with it?
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6690|Devon, England
I think the TV show is really well done. I love the acting, the actors, and everything else is done really well. I've never been interested in reading the books, though, as I've never really cared for the story. It's just entertaining to watch. The fact that the writer just randomly kills off people to give it that "thing" that makes it different is lame and lazy.

It only seems to be good to people because it creates likeable characters but then kills them to fuck with you, just because.

After the latest episode, I lost all that "no spoilers, please!" attitude, because why bother? Everyone good is probably going to die. I just laughed at everything I saw. I thought "Maybe I'm just annoyed cos I'm really in to the show", but no. It's just bad.

I asked a friend about what happens next, according to the books, and it sounds ridiculous.
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4194|Oklahoma

Winston_Churchill wrote:

hes 64, looks like this and is taking 5-6 years per book.  75 isnt exactly a typical lifespan for big guys like him

I've heard from multiple people and sources that he has given the framework, plots, endings and overall gist of the last two books to a couple of his trusted friends so they can finish it for him in case his fat ass gets diabeetussed or something.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

I disagree. Killing off popular characters is a courageous thing to do in book, movie, and television series. The lame, easy, and profitable thing to do is to ride out a popular character for as long as you can to keep people coming back and buying the product. Killing off popular characters also raise the urgency in the story. If the writer is willing to kill off the most popular characters it means that anything can happen in the story to any person. The easy thing would have been for Martin to have all the Stark kids survive to the end of the series since they are popular. Instead he kills the eldest and the mother. I don't think he is trying to give it a thing and instead trying to keep the story fresh.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

I wonder how many nerdy girls he has boned after the show became popular. That is probably why he isn't writing the next books. Too busy knocking over nerd chicks at conventions.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6152|what

Macbeth wrote:

Too busy knocking over nerd chicks at conventions.
What, on his way to the buffet table?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253
pretty sure a morbidly obese (and ironically named) sexagenarian is not maintaining any sort of erectile function

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-06-05 06:33:51)

Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4194|Oklahoma
I hear the market is pretty hot for sexy old tugboat captains.

Also, completely off topic, I saw a picture of his house and all I could think about was "I bet the inside smells like dirty socks."
jsnipy
+3,276|6521|...

Extra Medium wrote:

Also, completely off topic, I saw a picture of his house and all I could think about was "I bet the inside smells like dirty socks."
Probably smells like piles of money
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Macbeth wrote:

I disagree. Killing off popular characters is a courageous thing to do in book, movie, and television series. The lame, easy, and profitable thing to do is to ride out a popular character for as long as you can to keep people coming back and buying the product. Killing off popular characters also raise the urgency in the story. If the writer is willing to kill off the most popular characters it means that anything can happen in the story to any person. The easy thing would have been for Martin to have all the Stark kids survive to the end of the series since they are popular. Instead he kills the eldest and the mother. I don't think he is trying to give it a thing and instead trying to keep the story fresh.
Profitable? I don't think Game of Thrones has suffered financially from killing off characters.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253
game of thrones whole 'thing' is that the characters get killed off. it's 'brutal' and 'gritty realist'. it's the whole television unique selling point. tv critics have been talking about this phenomenon for over a year now. how everyone watches game of thrones because it's so compulsive, never knowing who will be killed off next - knowing everyone is vulnerable. trying to construe that as some 'anti-mainstream' thing or some 'not selling out' thing is laughable. the series wouldn't have their popularity at all if he kept the main characters alive and it was a happy fantasy fairytale. killing main characters off is one of the single things that gives GoT a viewer-fanbase 'edge'.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

So it's like Lost, only with stabbings.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

https://i.imgur.com/2ZiWfGv.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England
I don't think he's really milking it as much as uzi says, there have been long waits between all of his books, with him doing other writing and editing on the side, attending conventions etc. I think I waited four or five years for the last book to come out and that was well before the HBO show was even announced.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6736|Oxferd Ohire
whys he doing a compilation of tyrion for a book tho

this isnt tv
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
jsnipy
+3,276|6521|...

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

. trying to construe that as some 'anti-mainstream' thing or some 'not selling out' thing is laughable. the series wouldn't have their popularity at all if he kept the main characters alive and it was a happy fantasy fairytale. killing main characters off is one of the single things that gives GoT a viewer-fanbase 'edge'.
I don't think that, its just a turn from typical American always happy ending shows/movies
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6472|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

game of thrones whole 'thing' is that the characters get killed off. it's 'brutal' and 'gritty realist'. it's the whole television unique selling point. tv critics have been talking about this phenomenon for over a year now. how everyone watches game of thrones because it's so compulsive, never knowing who will be killed off next - knowing everyone is vulnerable. trying to construe that as some 'anti-mainstream' thing or some 'not selling out' thing is laughable. the series wouldn't have their popularity at all if he kept the main characters alive and it was a happy fantasy fairytale. killing main characters off is one of the single things that gives GoT a viewer-fanbase 'edge'.
Damn right it's interesting when you have to be "scared" for your favorite characters well being The show would just be some boring Bold and the beautiful / Sex and the city crap if there wouldn't be some gruesome twists. Thanks G.R.R. Martin for tits n' beheading folks on my TV!
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4194|Oklahoma
Wait...........does Uzi not like Game Of Thrones?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard