SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6579|Mountains of NC

Chromebook

in theory this sounds good but I believe it to be to late, with the popularity of tablets and the cost being higher then they predicted

I actually use a Asus netbook that cost me $250 with win 7 starter and does excellent for me
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6185|Sydney | ♥

This type of thing has been around for years, though it's nice to see google picking it up a bit.

I'd probably choose Jolicloud over it at this point in time, though, due to the ability to customise.
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6508

i've got an Android tablet, Google just released an update that will let me blue tooth a mouse and keyboard
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6767|Scotland

tazz. wrote:

I'd probably choose Jolicloud.
That is all. The fact that EVERYTHING is web based and nothing is file based except stupid USB drives would drive me fucking mental.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6508

Zimmer wrote:

tazz. wrote:

I'd probably choose Jolicloud.
That is all. The fact that EVERYTHING is web based and nothing is file based except stupid USB drives would drive me fucking mental.
i don't know, Zimmer - i'm rooted with su, and have an 8gb micro sd card i can move files to/from. i can connect a camera now and move pictures to/from. this tablet is rapidly becoming a laptop replacement for me . . .

edit; sorry to derail, i see you responded to Tazz. i guess Android and Chrome are two different things, my bad.

Last edited by ebugs (10:21 ago)
Benzin
+576|6009
I agree with Tazz - Jolicloud is the better solution. It blends in traditional computing like everyone is used to and adds in a lot of cloud-based stuff. It's the best of both worlds. Now if only it could be launched from the factory with devices.

Ed Bott (a friend) wrote this article explaining why Chrome OS won't be able to really succeed in the enterprise market... http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/five-rea … iller/3290

I used a CR-48 Chromebook for a long time and did a lot of things with it... but at a price point of over $400 it's not worth it. You can do so much more work on an iPad (stfu Finray and don't even think about posting!) or an equivalent tablet. At $400 USD you can get a netbook with Nvidia's ION graphics that can do SO MUCH more work than a Chromebook and Windows 7 is a pretty stout OS, no one can deny that.

The Chromebook is a toy, no more, no less. An Android tablet makes a better couch computer. Certainly some people will get along great with an OS like Chrome OS but the majority of the consumer market isn't ready to make that drastic of a change to how they use a computer.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6767|Scotland

CapnNismo wrote:

Ed Bott (a friend) wrote this article explaining why Chrome OS won't be able to really succeed in the enterprise market... http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/five-rea … iller/3290
That's a ridiculous article anyway. There is no such thing as the Windows killer, nor will there ever be. Not unless a Linux distro implements seamless integration with Windows executables and a consistent UI, and even then it would have to be immensely good out-of-the-box to pose a threat.

Google, unlike them, are a little too late into this market. They should concentrate on trying to counter MS's massive Skype buy move and to constantly improve their current applications.
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6185|Sydney | ♥

Zimmer wrote:

Not unless a Linux distro implements seamless integration with Windows executables and a consistent UI, and even then it would have to be immensely good out-of-the-box to pose a threat.
Agreed.

I would love to see a new OS come out and hit up some real competition. Mac OS kindof did that, but they only want it used on their hardware.

Ubuntu in the past 18 months has really took off with various people. It's new UI (Gnome 3 / Unity) has shitted off alot of "experience" computer users, but I think it can really open up to an ease-of-use market, where people can be introduced to an OS that is easy to install, use, and manage.

Coming back on topic..

Video:

>Use it anywhere
>Live in Australia
>LOL 3G what's that?
>LOL Telstra Monopoly
>LOL Australia.

Honestly though, it's too simple.

I'm not even sure where it's pitching to. Old people want a way to manage photos and talk to family. Sure, this can be done through the internet, but the internet is VAST... they don't like to look around, they want it there, right in front of them. For old people, Mac seems like a nice way to go, even though it is completely over priced (although getting better)...

PC is cluster fuck for older people. It's too complicated and confusing. Even younger people find it confusing when they're introduced to the concept. Alot of people who have had very limited access to computers find the Mac OS very easy to get a handle on, due to their obviously consideration in human-computer interaction.

If it was to be pitched towards individuals such as social butterflies (16-30 age group) - yeah, perhaps a bit of up-take could be expected, but it would not give them everything they are after... or as much as i'd assume.

Although, it is correct to admit that alot of users simply sit on a browser with a mouse and keyboard.  But what if you want to use Skype? Word Processing?

Sure you can use google docs or the like, but then you're limiting yourself again....

Jolicloud is still the best thought at this moment, in my opinion. It's ability to install various applications and customise it's usability to your suits and needs is what people not only want, but need. Or perhaps I'm over-assuming the simple ways of an individual who simply wants to sit on facebook. All day, every day.
Benzin
+576|6009
I agree with you on most points, Tazz. I'll add, however, that Windows 7 has been a great stride for Microsoft and I'm having a hard time finding new laptops and PCs (aside from netbooks) that are running 32-bit versions nowadays (at least here in Austria). It's nice to see this adoption and the extra bit of security that comes with it.

You all know that I love Jolicloud and I agree with you - Jolicloud is the perfect OS for most of the world. It has a built in app "market" like Ubuntu (and now OSX) and not all of the products are simple web apps. Want a word processor? Click the icon and install it. It's an extremely simple OS, one that I am actually thinking about installing on a laptop and giving my girlfriend's mother so she can finally have something that is easy to use (she's old and doesn't really get computers at all).
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6616|Greenwood, IN
I've been using a "Chromebook" for a while now.  It has come a long way since I first got it back in early Jan.  Although the specs are half of what you would get with the Chromebooks you would get with release.

Atom 1.66 N450
2GB DDR3 1066
16GB SSD
1280x800 Display

I personally say this type of Netbook could sell if the price point is right.  Some of you may not like cloud computing, but its the future.  I like what it offers to.  With the ability to sync all your stuff, I think its great.  Also, I would like to know Chrome OS is build upon Ubuntu 10 and use 2.6.32 linux kernel with some updates.  However, Google will be updating the kernel to 2.6.38 soon with version 13 of Chrome OS and it should give a performance boost.  Just my 2 cents.
Benzin
+576|6009
You can't tell me that a price of over $400 USD is a good price for such a machine, though... I had the initial Cr-48, too, and it was a load of garbage.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6767|Scotland

Naturn wrote:

Some of you may not like cloud computing, but its the future.
Not for a very long time. I'm sorry, but everything doesn't just suddenly switch to Cloud Computing. There needs to be progressive change, not sudden. People will not follow sudden change, it's a psychological fact. It's also impossible to achieve because you can't get rid of all the file based systems in one go. What Chromebook has done is just that, and it's not smart. If Chromebook allowed file storage as well, then it'd be actually decent and comparable to Jolicloud... but it doesn't. Google are trying to force an idea that is far too early in development to throw out there and hope they'll make a good profit on it.

Google do this all the time, and they're not too good at it. Pushing out baby technologies when they're not ready is not smart. They're doing it with CSS3 and HTML5, and all the idiot developers who think it's cool are jumping on the bandwagon... then realising it doesn't work on the majority of browsers, or actually just in Chrome.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6450|King Of The Islands

Zimmer wrote:

Naturn wrote:

Not for a very long time. I'm sorry, but everything doesn't just suddenly switch to Cloud Computing. There needs to be progressive change, not sudden. People will not follow sudden change, it's a psychological fact. It's also impossible to achieve because you can't get rid of all the file based systems in one go. What Chromebook has done is just that, and it's not smart. If Chromebook allowed file storage as well, then it'd be actually decent and comparable to Jolicloud... but it doesn't. Google are trying to force an idea that is far too early in development to throw out there and hope they'll make a good profit on it.

Google do this all the time, and they're not too good at it. Pushing out baby technologies when they're not ready is not smart. They're doing it with CSS3 and HTML5, and all the idiot developers who think it's cool are jumping on the bandwagon... then realising it doesn't work on the majority of browsers, or actually just in Chrome.
But I want rounded corners now, dammit!
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6767|Scotland

Cheez wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Naturn wrote:

But I want rounded corners now, dammit!
Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6695|West Yorkshire, U.K
Three words:

Same
Old
Shit.
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6185|Sydney | ♥

Zimmer wrote:

Hmmmm....

But if there was no "push" would it happen at all?

I agree that it should be well thought out and they should take their sweet time, and consequently release an updated standard, but that's only good in theory. I feel CSS3/HTML5 is positive simply because it is a push. you know?
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6010|The Mitten

CapnNismo wrote:

You can't tell me that a price of over $400 USD is a good price for such a machine, though... I had the initial Cr-48, too, and it was a load of garbage.
I like my Cr-48.

Don't think it's worth $400.

or even really anything over $250
EE (hats
Benzin
+576|6009

tazz. wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Hmmmm....

I agree that it should be well thought out and they should take their sweet time, and consequently release an updated standard, but that's only good in theory. I feel CSS3/HTML5 is positive simply because it is a push. you know?
If there was no push, it wouldn't happen as quickly as it perhaps needs to. I think with the different web technologies this is a good thing. Chromebooks? Not so sure. I recall reading somewhere that Google won't be selling these in stores at all so as to avoid customers getting suckered into one. That's pretty cool of Google, a good way to protect their image, I think.
jsnipy
+3,276|6533|...

Naturn wrote:

I like when people talk about "cloud computing" in conjunction with gimmicky desktop interactions (i.e. Microsoft's to the cloud ads). "saving something somewhere" really has fuck all to do with it. Having said that I agree with the statement.

Zimmer wrote:

My god this.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6660

Not sold on this one at all. I think a much better solution would have been to make a simplified Linux distro that anyone could easily use. If they wanted to do all that cloud shit, then make the file storage online. Don't make the laptop useless unless you have an internet connection.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6767|Scotland

tazz. wrote:

Hmmmm....

That's rubbish. The push is still there, what I'm saying is that Google is applying it to real world ideas and websites and therefore fucking a massive % of the population because it only works on their browser. Then idiot developers jump on the bandwagon because they think that site is really cool, and in short you have a ton of stupid websites that come up with a notice telling you THEY ONLY WORK ON WEBKIT BROWSERS. It's ridiculous and stupid. Web standards were created for a reason, not to just fill in a gap. HTML5 is developing at the speed it needs to, because the actual technologies it plans to use in conjunction STILL haven't even been fully created. Google is being stupid and wanting to push it out at an alarming rate... So that means other browsers try and implement it as well, and that ends up with a criss crossing of different rendering methods for each browser and then browser specific standards. It ends up being a mess.

I don't want to go about writing:

Code:

background:-webkit-gradient(linear, 0 0, 0 100%, from(#9cff00), to(#6bb000));
background:-moz-linear-gradient(#9cff00, #6bb000);
background:-o-linear-gradient(#9cff00, #6bb000);
background:linear-gradient(#9cff00, #6bb000);
To get a gradient that goes across all browsers. It's stupid and inefficient. Added to that Chrome have ACTUALLY made the fucking parameters for that gradient different to the rest. Why?!
Benzin
+576|6009
Don't forget to include Apple's Safari in on this one, Zim. They're just as guilty.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6767|Scotland

CapnNismo wrote:

Don't forget to include Apple's Safari in on this one, Zim. They're just as guilty.
That's why I said Webkit browsers

They aren't as guilty though, because Apple itself isn't pushing the technologies with their websites, whilst Google is. So Google are twice as bad.
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6185|Sydney | ♥

Zimmer wrote:

tazz. wrote:

Hmmmm....

That's rubbish. The push is still there, what I'm saying is that Google is applying it to real world ideas and websites and therefore fucking a massive % of the population because it only works on their browser. Then idiot developers jump on the bandwagon because they think that site is really cool, and in short you have a ton of stupid websites that come up with a notice telling you THEY ONLY WORK ON WEBKIT BROWSERS. It's ridiculous and stupid. Web standards were created for a reason, not to just fill in a gap. HTML5 is developing at the speed it needs to, because the actual technologies it plans to use in conjunction STILL haven't even been fully created. Google is being stupid and wanting to push it out at an alarming rate... So that means other browsers try and implement it as well, and that ends up with a criss crossing of different rendering methods for each browser and then browser specific standards. It ends up being a mess.

I don't want to go about writing:

Code:

background:-webkit-gradient(linear, 0 0, 0 100%, from(#9cff00), to(#6bb000));
background:-moz-linear-gradient(#9cff00, #6bb000);
background:-o-linear-gradient(#9cff00, #6bb000);
background:linear-gradient(#9cff00, #6bb000);
To get a gradient that goes across all browsers. It's stupid and inefficient. Added to that Chrome have ACTUALLY made the fucking parameters for that gradient different to the rest. Why?!
Oh it shits me something savage having to do 5 different variations of the same thing...

you missed the shitty IE one as well...

Code:

filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient(startColorstr='#9cff00', endColorstr='#6bb000');
so tldr, google is moving too quickly with webkit, and not allowing HTML5 to develop at it's own pace, thus creating a gap in web dev. yeah?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard