Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
Once they get into the country its essentially impossible to deport them, or was under the EU.

If it had been easier then 10x or 100x the number would have set off, that was Australia's experience.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
I don't like the segue between the U.S. border crisis and the European migrant crisis the three of you and of course many others do.

The two crisis are very different most of all due to religion. The American migrants are Catholic while the European migrants are Muslim. "AlL lIvEs ArE eQuAl". Sure, but in our heart of hearts we all know that our societies would be better off taking in Christians instead of Muslims if those were the only known qualities of both groups of migrants. If it were only Coptics and Maronites (who did nothing wrong) sailing to Europe we all know that the European migrant crisis would be well less of a crisis.

I also believe the American advocates for our border migrants should do everything possible to keep separate Europe's migrant issues from our own. And if they relies on a little of religious bigotry then so be it. Linking them two in even casual conversation only helps [i]checks notes[\i] international white supremacy.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Larssen
+99|1886
Dilbert  arbitrarily discarding international law when it pleases you is a dumb idea
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Macs right to an extent, and it wasn't intended as a change in topics. There are different dynamics between the two issues, but one of the things they have in common are that some of the people are removing themselves from untenable situations, and on the other side people who just think they're all up to No Good.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Larssen wrote:

Dilbert  arbitrarily discarding international law when it pleases you is a dumb idea
We've had this argument in the Before Larssen/Pre Jay-Endtimes period.

Pretty well anyone getting to Australia has skipped through multiple safe muslims countries before they got here and so they aren't really entitled to anything and no laws are broken.
uziq
+492|3450
the UN position on this states that it’s reasonable for migrants to seek a preferred option.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
And they can prefer all they like, Australia takes plenty of refugees, people trying to skip the queue get sent to the back.
Larssen
+99|1886
Those safe countries often do not have an asylum infrastructure nor do they recognise resident migrants
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Its not my fault if muslims don't like muslims.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

also:

actual teachings of christianity though.
WHAT actual teachings? we have already established that you haven't thought for a fucking hot minute about the bible, the christian canon, and the formation of christian 'thought'. you think 'catholics aren't christians' despite the fact the catholic church did most of the work of codifying just what we consider 'christian teachings'.

the only and most direct forms of jesus's teachings that we have are the gospels. in the gospels, jesus is clearly a trouble-maker and an instigator of rebellion (and violence) just as often as he is a pacifist teaching people to 'turn the other cheek'. he is by turns magnanimous and modest. the jesus of the gospels is a complex figure – a man, which is kind of the whole point.

are you forgetting that jesus beat up the merchants in the temple? quite strange when you consider he wasn't a man of any authority or evident moral superiority to his time. he was basically a crazy preacher, one among many, who decided to go and whip a bunch of traders.

let's look at some other stuff from the gospels:

“But these enemies of mine who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here, and slay them in my presence” (Luke 19:27).

"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn 'a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law – a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.' Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me” (Matthew 10:34-38).

what about all that stuff jesus said about swords? at the last supper: 'sell your cloak and buy a sword'?

what about that stuff he said about being a lion? the lion of judah who will return at revelation? that is, the giant global conflagration and war that will happen at the end of times? have you read any of revelations? it's not exactly peaceful stuff.

you have this schoolchild's conception of the bible: 'old testament bad, jewish and violent: new testament the better sequel'. it's nothing like so neat and uncomplicated.
Thats great and all but if Jesus had instructed his disciples they had a god-given right to slaughter innocents and steal their stuff and then led them on a murderous rampage putting complete civilisations to the sword you'd have a point.

As it is wasn't he supposed to speak in metaphors?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Interesting search result over breakfast for "how was Jesus depicted in the bible" had like 20 results on the first page talking about his race. Phew.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6712|Purplicious Wisconsin
Honestly, I could care less what race Jesus was.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

War Man wrote:

Honestly, I could care less what race Jesus was.
I don't care either. From what I understand, every culture makes Jesus their race. And I support that if it adds more souls into the Kingdom of Christ.

This is interestingly another point where Islam looks bad if you are willing to actually compare religions and not automatically dismiss comparative stuff because you are a social justice warrior. In Islam, the language of God is Arabic. That is why the final revelations were told to Arabs and also why the study of the Koran in Arabic is widely practiced across the Islamic world while your local Sunday school isn't going make you learn Aramaic in order to read the Bible. The Catholic Church correctly picked the position of 'any language is fine' 60ish years ago with Vatican 2. Before that it was very much a "Learn Latin" organization. And while they did have thousands of years of "Learn Latin to Church" policy they weren't advocating cutting out tongues for it. Only a few years after the death of Mohammad, the first Caliphate conquered Egypt and forced everyone to speak Arabic or they will cut out their tongues. This is why Christians in the Middle East completely lost their language while, for a comparison, the Filipinos still have their own language. There are still also millions who speak Maya.
uziq
+492|3450
you’re forgetting the phase of christianity where people were BURNED AT THE STAKE for daring to translate it from the latin into vernacular. lmao. you are committing fucking historical abuse. shut the fuck up.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

uziq wrote:

you’re forgetting the phase of christianity where people were BURNED AT THE STAKE for daring to translate it from the latin into vernacular. lmao. you are committing fucking historical abuse. shut the fuck up.
They were warned by the Church not to do so and they disobeyed. They were proto-Prots anyway.
uziq
+492|3450
every religion has a concept of a sacred or holy language, whether it’s elevated and ritualised speech or a written system. the Logos. stop bullshitting and being a wannabe trad-cath. you live in sin.
Larssen
+99|1886

Dilbert_X wrote:

Its not my fault if muslims don't like muslims.
Knowing that the migrants are not taken care of nor are they given opportunities to enter the labour market, does it make sense they travel further to other countries?

It may also be negative association. I once spoke to a bosnian who fled to belgium in the 90s, and he said he skipped over austria/germany because those countries were the birthplace of the type of fascism that inspired the serbs. Do you fault him for not just settling there?

Last edited by Larssen (2021-04-18 09:53:57)

Larssen
+99|1886

SuperJail Warden wrote:

uziq wrote:

They were warned by the Church not to do so and they disobeyed. They were proto-Prots anyway.
It's thanks to the protestants that the bible is available in all languages ffs
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

Larssen wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

uziq wrote:

It's thanks to the protestants that the bible is available in all languages ffs
I will remember that next time a Republican quotes the Bible at me.
Larssen
+99|1886
American protestants are the mentally deficient cousin in the religion.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6712|Purplicious Wisconsin
Non-denomination ya'll. Actually that has a tendency to get lobbed into Protestant ironically.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

To prevent this from turning into a complete a Euro-jerk, the US isn't completely isolated in some of our regressive Christian thought.

*eyes Hungary, Poland*
Larssen
+99|1886
If I'm very honest I just can't understand being a follower of christianity / islam / judaism / hinduism etc. in this day and age.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

I think some of the countries on that ironically named declaration Trump America put us on in October are also known for female circumcision. "Geneva Consensus Declaration on Promoting Women's Health and Strengthening the Family," haha I love the dressing this thing presents in. Biden removed us from it in January.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

every religion has a concept of a sacred or holy language, whether it’s elevated and ritualised speech or a written system. the Logos. stop bullshitting and being a wannabe trad-cath. you live in sin.
I'm sure people can hallucinate in any language.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard