War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6716|Purplicious Wisconsin
Wouldn't buy this game no matter how good it is as it isn't appeasing to me.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

jord wrote:

lowing wrote:

krazed wrote:

shit game, who cares
So your opinion is, if the game was spectacular, you would approve?
If the game was well made and entertaining, I would. It's just a game, and it's just pixels.
When I posted this thread, I never saw the game just read its description. It hardly resembles anything of what was described. I gotta say though, a game that depicted the slaughter of little kids has over stepped the line in my opinion pixels not withstanding.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6539|Long Island, New York

lowing wrote:

jord wrote:

lowing wrote:

If the game was well made and entertaining, I would. It's just a game, and it's just pixels.
When I posted this thread, I never saw the game just read its description. It hardly resembles anything of what was described. I gotta say though, a game that depicted the slaughter of little kids has over stepped the line in my opinion pixels not withstanding.
Of course it's over the line, but the intention this guy had which is made obvious by how poor the game is was clearly to upset people. He's a troll, and he's probably making money off the trolling somehow. By you posting about it and the media spreading it around, this guy gets what he wants.

If it were a game on the scale of an indie game like, I dunno, The Ball or something in terms of FPS's... then it'd be a bigger deal, because obviously then it's not just about the attention, it's about someone really trying to recreate scenes like this with the closest graphical represenation. It's not. It's a shitty mod using the Source engine with stock City 17 civilians from HL2 in an awful map.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Poseidon wrote:

lowing wrote:

jord wrote:

Of course it's over the line, but the intention this guy had which is made obvious by how poor the game is was clearly to upset people. He's a troll, and he's probably making money off the trolling somehow. By you posting about it and the media spreading it around, this guy gets what he wants.

If it were a game on the scale of an indie game like, I dunno, The Ball or something in terms of FPS's... then it'd be a bigger deal, because obviously then it's not just about the attention, it's about someone really trying to recreate scenes like this with the closest graphical represenation. It's not. It's a shitty mod using the Source engine with stock City 17 civilians from HL2 in an awful map.
If it were a "quality game" depicting the killing of children in a school, would you buy it or boycott it out of principle?
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

lowing wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

lowing wrote:

If it were a "quality game" depicting the killing of children in a school, would you buy it or boycott it out of principle?
A game like that would never make it to the market without being rated Adults Only anyways so that'd stop almost all kids buying it (which would be my main issue). I wouldn't buy it, no. It's different compared to a game like GTA IV where if you kill civilians/cops, you get a wanted level and most likely fail your mission. The ability to kill civvies and cops is there, but the game doesn't tell you to do it as a goal.
Blue Herring
+13|4806

Poseidon wrote:

lowing wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

A game like that would never make it to the market without being rated Adults Only anyways so that'd stop almost all kids buying it (which would be my main issue). I wouldn't buy it, no. It's different compared to a game like GTA IV where if you kill civilians/cops, you get a wanted level and most likely fail your mission. The ability to kill civvies and cops is there, but the game doesn't tell you to do it as a goal.
Lets not forget that it's all fantasy. Playing a game like that isn't necessarily condoning the behavior. Even if GTA IV did reward the behavior, it doesn't mean that anyone who plays it is gonna go do it in real life. There's a solid distinction between the two for anyone.

If such a game were made I probably wouldn't buy it but I wouldn't "boycott" it either. This whole assault on video games is pointless and without basis, no different than what was spurred against movies and comic books when they first came around. The bar is going to need to be pushed until people realize that its fantasy and a bar doesn't need to exist.

In short, Fantasy crimes <> Actual crime, no matter what the outlet.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6470
Wait, so it's just a poorly done Half-Life 2 mod? It doesn't even look like a school-shooting senario, just walking into a room and shooting HL2 characters who just stand around.

So yeah, fucking thread worthy.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Blue Herring wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

lowing wrote:

Lets not forget that it's all fantasy. Playing a game like that isn't necessarily condoning the behavior. Even if GTA IV did reward the behavior, it doesn't mean that anyone who plays it is gonna go do it in real life. There's a solid distinction between the two for anyone.

If such a game were made I probably wouldn't buy it but I wouldn't "boycott" it either. This whole assault on video games is pointless and without basis, no different than what was spurred against movies and comic books when they first came around. The bar is going to need to be pushed until people realize that its fantasy and a bar doesn't need to exist.

Yep, I mean I consider myself a pacifist and I was playing GTAIII when I was 9. The thing is, my mother made sure I knew what I was playing wasn't real life and that I wouldn't recreate it in real life. That's the key issue with games like these: parenting. It's up to the parents to decide if their child is mentally competent enough to handle a violent video game.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Poseidon wrote:

lowing wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Well that is why I can not support my attitude toward a game like school shooter. Because I have no problem with GTA, the killing of cops  and civilians SHOULD be a line crosser for me but for some reason I am not bothered by it. Hell I let my kids play it. I suppose it is simply the killing of kids is where my personal line is drawn.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

Wait, so it's just a poorly done Half-Life 2 mod? It doesn't even look like a school-shooting senario, just walking into a room and shooting HL2 characters who just stand around.

So yeah, fucking thread worthy.
I did not see the game clips before I posted the topic.  I only read the article about the game. I agree it looks nothing like it is portrayed, however the discussion of what crosses the line, if anything, regarding taste and morality in video games is a worthy discussion.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Poseidon wrote:

Blue Herring wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Yep, I mean I consider myself a pacifist and I was playing GTAIII when I was 9. The thing is, my mother made sure I knew what I was playing wasn't real life and that I wouldn't recreate it in real life. That's the key issue with games like these: parenting. It's up to the parents to decide if their child is mentally competent enough to handle a violent video game.
I agree with  you but you're asking an awful lot of people that don't even care about their kids education enough to get involved. Most people use school as a baby sitting service and not a place of learning, so when little Johnny is a piece of shit, of course it is the schools fault and not their parental upbringing.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6716|US
Attention-seeking troll developer?  [x]
Rediculously poor taste? [x]
Unnecessary media attention?  [x]

Yep, it's offensive, and pretty obviously intended to be so.  Should it be illegal?  No, since that has all sorts of 1st Amendment implications.  Do these shootings really affect many people?  Nope, but I have glimpsed the results, and they are truly heartbreaking for those they do affect.  This kind of game is stupid enough that most people know to ignore it.  Now, if it became popular or I saw a friend enjoying it, I would get pissed.  School shootings are not something to be entertained by.
Blue Herring
+13|4806

RAIMIUS wrote:

Attention-seeking troll developer?  [x]
Rediculously poor taste? [x]
Unnecessary media attention?  [x]

Yep, it's offensive, and pretty obviously intended to be so.  Should it be illegal?  No, since that has all sorts of 1st Amendment implications.  Do these shootings really affect many people?  Nope, but I have glimpsed the results, and they are truly heartbreaking for those they do affect.  This kind of game is stupid enough that most people know to ignore it.  Now, if it became popular or I saw a friend enjoying it, I would get pissed.  School shootings are not something to be entertained by.
Especially with his answers in the interview, he's quite clearly just trying to piss people off.

Sad that this can work.
jord
+2,382|6680|The North, beyond the wall.

lowing wrote:

jord wrote:

lowing wrote:

I can't say I'd ever play such a game because the inherent problem with such a game is the lack of entertainment. There's no real fun walking around shooting unarmed people, at least not for more than 10 minutes. If say the next GTA had kids in it as well, then I'd have no problem with that whatsoever.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

jord wrote:

lowing wrote:

jord wrote:

I can't say I'd ever play such a game because the inherent problem with such a game is the lack of entertainment. There's no real fun walking around shooting unarmed people, at least not for more than 10 minutes. If say the next GTA had kids in it as well, then I'd have no problem with that whatsoever.
Now that you say that, I doubt I would either. I can not rationalize it at all, not one bit, but the school shooter game concept is distasteful to me.
h4hagen
Whats my age again?
+91|6355|Troy, New York
That looks boring/ stupid as shit. People dont even run away. One of those fucking hunting games would be more interesting
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5475|Ventura, California
Meh, no good weapon choices. Boring
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Blue Herring
+13|4806

jord wrote:

lowing wrote:

jord wrote:

That's the problem, a lack of challenge.

I suppose you could theoretically make it so you search for specific students while evading SWAT, but at that point, the whole school shooting thing is really just a gimmick.

To make a game to accurately simulate the experience of a school shooting wouldn't be fun because shooting up a school isn't difficult, which is why the specific kids did it. Easiest way to cheap power and fame.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5475|Ventura, California
If the students attack you and attempt to disarm you then it could be a challenge.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Blue Herring
+13|4806

-Sh1fty- wrote:

If the students attack you and attempt to disarm you then it could be a challenge.
But, again, that would make the school shooting thing more of a gimmick, and an awful one at that.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard