Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5428|London, England
So anyway, I'm stoked for the knife I bought. A good way to spend part of my tax return
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
.:ronin:.|Patton
Respekct dad i love u always
+946|6880|Marathon, Florida Keys
i keep a $5 machete i bought from a hardware store in my truck, made it razor sharp and called it a sword.
https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/patton1337/stats.jpg
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6070|...
I love my cooking knife

sharp as fuck when new though, almost cut my fingernail in 2 a couple months ago.
inane little opines
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6648|Columbus, OH
I dont have stainless steel steak knives so i cant leave them in the sink for a long period time since they tend to rust.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
What do you have?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6648|Columbus, OH
Chicago Cutlery steak knives.  They are pretty sharp...able to slice paper, some times use them to slice open the vaccum sealed plastic that are a pain to open by hand.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6070|...
https://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/ce/5/AAAAAlOkc7IAAAAAAM5aXg.jpg?v=1203030054000
inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

loubot wrote:

Chicago Cutlery steak knives.  They are pretty sharp...able to slice paper, some times use them to slice open the vaccum sealed plastic that are a pain to open by hand.
Ahh, I meant shocking but that's cool.

These are currently on my wedding registry:
https://images.bedbathandbeyond.com/assets/product_images/380/10878214752323P.JPG
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
You like the Henckels? Wusthof sells a lot more knives over here.
-Frederick Bastiat
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6070|...
Oh you're gonna marry?

It's a henckels chef's knife, pic above ^
inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Shocking wrote:

Oh you're gonna marry?

It's a henckels chef's knife, pic above ^
I know it is I've been doing research on knives for a few weeks now. Stupid analytical engineering brain I have. My fiancee doesn't understand, she said to pick the one that feels best to me. Bah. I want to know what the different types of steel mean, the angles they are to be sharpened at, whether they're forged or stamped etc
-Frederick Bastiat
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6070|...

Jay wrote:

You like the Henckels? Wusthof sells a lot more knives over here.
I like it a lot, this is my first real cooking knife though (apart from using those at other people's places), so I'm not entirely sure of my preference yet. But so far the best I've had.

8 months on and it's still quite sharp
inane little opines
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6070|...

Jay wrote:

I know it is I've been doing research on knives for a few weeks now. Stupid analytical engineering brain I have. My fiancee doesn't understand, she said to pick the one that feels best to me. Bah. I want to know what the different types of steel mean, the angles they are to be sharpened at, whether they're forged or stamped etc
Lol, haven't read up on the subject that much yet. But I can relate to doing that sort of stuff A LOT when I get something new in my hands... read up everything there is about it.

I had an asian housemate for some time and he had all sorts of those square knives they use... problem was he'd occupy the kitchen for about 1-2 hours at least twice a day, every day. But damn, he could cook - square omelets all that.
inane little opines
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6070|...
When's the wedding btw? And congratulations.

Gonna stay in the appartment you're at?
inane little opines
jord
+2,382|6748|The North, beyond the wall.
Beauty fades, dumb is forever.

Last edited by jord (2011-04-26 10:10:21)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Shocking wrote:

Jay wrote:

Lol, haven't read up on the subject that much yet. But I can relate to doing that sort of stuff A LOT when I get something new in my hands... read up everything there is about it.

I had an asian housemate for some time and he had all sorts of those square knives they use... problem was he'd occupy the kitchen for about 1-2 hours at least twice a day, every day. But damn, he could cook - square omelets all that.
Square knife is a Chinese chef's knife.
https://www.paulsfinest.com/images/T/t_908.jpg

If you want a really, really good chef's knife that is reasonably priced, this one gets high marks across the board on every site I've checked.
https://www.cutleryandmore.com/content/products/medium/15448.jpg
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/tojiro-dp … fe-p115448

European knife makers use cheaper steel so they have to make their knives heavier and thicker. You end up cleaving through instead of slicing.

Last edited by Jay (2011-04-26 10:12:39)

-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Shocking wrote:

When's the wedding btw? And congratulations.

Gonna stay in the appartment you're at?
06/09/12 (not intentional)

Nah, we're looking to move into a two bedroom right now.
-Frederick Bastiat
ghettoperson
+1,943|6719

Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6070|...
Yeah the chinese knives, he had a large set of them. It looks like it's fun to use tbh. I'm probably going to buy a new knife in about 1-2 months, may get one .

You're quite the amateur cook yourself aren't you?

Last edited by Shocking (2011-04-26 10:14:42)

inane little opines
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6544|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Shocking wrote:

Yeah the chinese knives, he had a large set of them. It looks like it's fun to use tbh. I'm probably going to buy a new knife in about 1-2 months, may get one .

You're quite the amateur cook yourself aren't you?
Indeed. I cook around 3-4 nights a week. Some stuff turns out meh, and some stuff turns out 'omg, I can never order this in a restaurant again'.
-Frederick Bastiat
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6070|...
All this is making me hungry, I better go get my groceries.
inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
If I had $520 lying around...

https://japanesechefsknife.com/images/Img85.jpg
-Frederick Bastiat
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6070|...
That is beautiful
inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
This one is only $125
https://japanesechefsknife.com/images/Img1187.jpg
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard