Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6467

FEOS wrote:

Uzique wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Green_Book
Irony so thick you could cut it with a knife...and apparently, that's just what Qaddafi is doing.
the human development index is interesting, though...

almost gives a sliver of validity to his reaction to the protests. of course im not defending his actual military action... but i mean the attitude. libya, for whatever reason resulting from its politics/regime, has the best living standards in africa (by the HDI's estimations, anyway). i know he's delusional and a war criminal, yada yada... but you can kinda see why he, of all the leaders dealing with the arab-world revolt, is incredulous. libya seems to be okay.

or, to rephrase, the least shit.

Last edited by Uzique (2011-02-25 04:56:29)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5958|Places 'n such

Uzique wrote:

btw how shit is obama's speech? what sort of technique is that? he's reading from a piece of paper like it's a high-school class presentation

i didn't realise until now how badly obama had lost it. what a shite pres.
He seems like the annoying kid who couldn't read well, yet still volunteered every time to read to the class.
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5996|...
His speeches have always been pretty empty from day 1, too bad the competition was even worse.
inane little opines
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5958|Places 'n such
McCain didn't seem too bad, would rather America elected an oven glove with a face drawn on it than Palin coming anywhere near power though.

As for Libya, the UN seem to be making some pretty harsh and radical decisions that could possibly force Libya to resolve their problems...
They're thinking of kicking them off the human rights council
Shocking I know, if that doesn't convince Gaddafi his position is untenable, I don't know what will.
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6467
the un are on drugs and they're making your children drunk

osama bin laden did the UN
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6102|eXtreme to the maX

presidentsheep wrote:

McCain didn't seem too bad, would rather America elected an oven glove with a face drawn on it than Palin coming anywhere near power though.

As for Libya, the UN seem to be making some pretty harsh and radical decisions that could possibly force Libya to resolve their problems...
They're thinking of kicking them off the human rights council
Shocking I know, if that doesn't convince Gaddafi his position is untenable, I don't know what will.
'The UN' is simply a forum for member countries.
If there's a lack of action its a lack of action on the part of your government as much as any other.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5470|Ventura, California
The UN is bullshit. When have they ever been able to preserve peace? They're a hoax.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6467
rather have the UN trying to preserve peace and failing than the US engaging in hapless war
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5470|Ventura, California
The US has to engage in this "Hapless" wars because the UN is failing. You can't have one without the other Uzique.

I believe these wars are not as effective as they could be because of people like the UN, bad ROEs, political correctness, and our braindead president.

I've always been open minded though, I'm willing to discuss things from other points of view, and if I am wrong I at least admit it. So do tell me what you think of what I said.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6407|'Murka

Uzique wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Irony so thick you could cut it with a knife...and apparently, that's just what Qaddafi is doing.

almost gives a sliver of validity to his reaction to the protests. of course im not defending his actual military action... but i mean the attitude. libya, for whatever reason resulting from its politics/regime, has the best living standards in africa (by the HDI's estimations, anyway). i know he's delusional and a war criminal, yada yada... but you can kinda see why he, of all the leaders dealing with the arab-world revolt, is incredulous. libya seems to be okay.

The highlighted part is it. The "best living standards in Africa" is like saying "the least diseased whore in the whorehouse." It's not setting the bar very high.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6772|Moscow, Russia
i've been reading this and other "unrest" threads for some time. guys, i meen, c'mon, you can't be that naive. "freedom"? "standats of living"? "democracy"?! are you out of your mind? the times when so called "just uprising of the masses" could do shit have been gone for about a century. you want to know what's happening? - look which power of those present on the global scene is going to benefit from it. you want to see what was the cause? - you should look at economical and political trends which developed immediately prior to "winds of change" blowing "horrible dictators" off.
the thing is: in this so called "information age" revolutions are a lot cheaper than wars, in both preparation and execution.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5746|شمال

Shahter wrote:

you want to know what's happening? - look which power of those present on the global scene is going to benefit from it. you want to see what was the cause? - you should look at economical and political trends which developed immediately prior to "winds of change" blowing "horrible dictators" off.
So.. Who is gaining from all this?
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6772|Moscow, Russia
i like to let people form their own opinions. there are, imo, enough analogous incidents for you to look up and compare - and in the immediate past, btw.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5746|شمال
cheers
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6467

FEOS wrote:

Uzique wrote:

FEOS wrote:

The highlighted part is it. The "best living standards in Africa" is like saying "the least diseased whore in the whorehouse." It's not setting the bar very high.
it's in the same bracket/category as many 'western' countries though...
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

Here's to hoping something worse doesn't fill all these power vacuums.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6597|132 and Bush

Here's to hoping that the people have representative government.

It appears Saif al-Islam Gaddafi is the new Baghdad Bob.
In an exclusive interview with “This Week” host Christiane Amanpour, Saif al-Islam Gadhafi, the son of Libyan leader Col. Moammar Gadhafi and one of his chief advisers, insisted Libya was calm, the military has not attacked any civilians and reports of Libyan diplomats abandoning their posts were simply a ‘miscommunication.’

There was a “big, big gap between reality and the media reports,” Gadhafi told Amanpour. “The whole south is calm. The west is calm. The middle is calm. Even part of the east.”

“[Obama] says if a person can only keep control by using force, then legitimacy is gone,” Amanpour pressed. Gadhafi responded, “Right, but what happened? We didn’t use force. Second, we still have people around us.”
Is he fcn high?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5354|London, England

Kmar wrote:

Is he fcn high?
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-x7wasTQWTEo/TVWd_PbCiVI/AAAAAAAAAZo/Gz12dMGEE8A/s1600/8ball1.gif
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5354|London, England
"After the earthquake, which had destroyed three-fourths of the city of Lisbon, the sages of that country could think of no means more effectual to preserve the kingdom from utter ruin than to entertain the people with an auto-da-fe, it having been decided by the University of Coimbra, that the burning of a few people alive by a slow fire, and with great ceremony, is an infallible preventive of earthquakes... The same day there was another earthquake, which made most dreadful havoc."
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6407|'Murka

Uzique wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Uzique wrote:

it's in the same bracket/category as many 'western' countries though...
Meh. According to a bullshit metric.

Still waiting for Shahter to enlighten us as to who is benefiting from this civil war in Lybia...
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6102|eXtreme to the maX
The good news is Obama just remembered there's oil in Libya.
http://www.voanews.com/english/news/US- … 86358.html

Tunisia and Egypt not so much I guess.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6320|Graz, Austria

FEOS wrote:

Still waiting for Shahter to enlighten us as to who is benefiting from this civil war in Lybia...
Saudi Arabia
That apparently stopped the oil price increasing more, so it benefits a lot of countries.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6617|London, England

Uzique wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Uzique wrote:

People always want things to be better though, right? Otherwise you could say the same thing about this country, yet there are still protests and complaints about various things. So what if they have the best living standards in Africa, it's not like they no longer want that. They want that and more.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6467
i'm just talking about gaddafi's incredulity - not saying he isn't batshit insane, but just trying to understand it in the most fractional sense.

he is in charge of arguably one of the most advanced african nations. when you're an egomaniac dictator, i can perhaps begin to see why that knowledge and such stats would lead you down the megalomaniac kill-your-own people route when it comes to mass-protests. almost like some form of ego denial.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard