unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Interned at a small computer repair company while I was still in tech college in the 90's. People sure love to take advantage of you when you work for free.

Uzique wrote:

that's why internships are a joke. it's an employment culture that totally exploits a newer, more desperate generation of grads.

$0.02
THIS.

It's one thing if you can intern while you're still a dependent, but the way some of them operate is horribly abusive.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4842|Amsterdam
They dont arrange it for you, but companies that are looking for interns can get on a list, and the uni will hand that list with relevant internships to the students. In those 3 months you also wont have as many classes. But not all studies have this (most do afaik)
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5701|College Park, MD
I would possibly settle for an unpaid internship if it's at a very good company where I could make solid contacts to get a real job there later. I'd love a paid internship though, because I really don't want to work a shitty retail or food service job.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

yeah i've felt that internships are just ways companies receive free labor
but it leads to better things... right?
like i said it depends on the industry

in journalism or publishing you have to slave your way into the 'inner circles' by brown-nosing... sometimes for years

i know of people that have lived in hostels in london, like backpackers, for 3-4 years
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4842|Amsterdam
In the lower forms of post-highschool education, they do arrange those internships for you. Most of the time people end up filling the shelves in a local super market. For no pay.
What a fun learning experience!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

lol, if you look it up, you'll find no end to business articles on why this shit is a 'good thing.'
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6654

We can breathe in space. They just don't want us to escape.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6520|Austin, Texas

Uzique wrote:

definitely not the case

i'm mad because to get into intellectual and professional careers, you're basically expected to do free internships for about 3-4 years for top companies.

have fun living in central london working full-time for free... and making no money...

after already landing yourself in £20k of debt from your university loans

that's why internships are a joke. it's an employment culture that totally exploits a newer, more desperate generation of grads.

$0.02
free? yuck. Most summer internships here for engineering students pay $15-20/hr, although a lot of them want you to do co-ops which is lame as shit.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4842|Amsterdam

Bevo wrote:

Uzique wrote:

definitely not the case

i'm mad because to get into intellectual and professional careers, you're basically expected to do free internships for about 3-4 years for top companies.

have fun living in central london working full-time for free... and making no money...

after already landing yourself in £20k of debt from your university loans

$0.02
free? yuck. Most summer internships here for engineering students pay $15-20/hr, although a lot of them want you to do co-ops which is lame as shit.
You get an internpayment here at some internships/schools. But what it often comes down to is 2euro/h
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5960|Places 'n such
I was looking at science based summer placements earlier and most of them were paying about £4000 and giving you accommodation.
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470
different industries...

science and engineering and the like also have huge state subsidies and public-funded elements...

i'm talking about private sphere high-sector jobs

Last edited by Uzique (2011-02-28 13:30:02)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

Uzique wrote:

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

yeah i've felt that internships are just ways companies receive free labor
but it leads to better things... right?
like i said it depends on the industry

in journalism or publishing you have to slave your way into the 'inner circles' by brown-nosing... sometimes for years

i know of people that have lived in hostels in london, like backpackers, for 3-4 years
that's the publishing industry for you...it's cutthroat as hell.  Lots of hours, lots of expectations, low pay.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5960|Places 'n such

Uzique wrote:

different industries...

science and engineering and the like also have huge state subsidies and public-funded elements...

i'm talking about private sphere high-sector jobs
True, but expecting someone to live in London without any money is fucking crazy. I don't see how you would manage it.
I'm not denying it's true, I just think its stoopit.
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470
i know it's stupid.

the only people that manage to get into these advertising, publishing or journalistic jobs are normally silver-spoon fed kids of already-rich professionals... normally professionals already in these industries, utilising their networks and contacts to shoe-horn their kids into the same trade. it's extremely hard to get into and that's why i just see internships as an exploitative process: you work for free for years, not so much just getting 'trade experience' as trying to fellate and preen your way into an exclusive group of salaried circle-jerkers.

(fyi no i'm not intending to go into any of the aforementioned, but i have some friends that graduated previously and are pretty sore about it)
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

i guess I'll just close this one then...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard